How Serious Are Termites?
A termite infestation and damage can be devastating to your home or property. Termites are often called the silent destroyer because they may be secretly hiding and thriving in your home or yard without any immediate signs of damage. All termites consume cellulose-based plant materials. Unfortunately, all homes, regardless of their construction type, can provide cellulose food for termite infestation.
Some indications you may have a termite infestation:
Termites invade homes by crossing from their colonies in yards to foundations. Cracks or gaps around pipes and wires give the pests access inside. Homeowners can also get termites from:
Above ground locations in the house that remain damp enough to support termites without them needing to return to the moist conditions found in the soil.
Since termites are a constant threat to your home, here are some things you can do during the year to help maintain the effectiveness of Orkins termite treatment plan. Small steps make a big difference in termite prevention and sustaining an effective termite treatment plan. Start by eliminating moisture conditions and termite food around your home. These simple steps make your home a less attractive target, helping deter termites.
Eliminate Moisture Problems
Remove Termite Food Sources
Read more termite prevention tips.
Where do they live?Commonly, termites live in wooden structures, decayed trees, fallen timber, and soil. Habitats vary among species as some termites require different amounts of moisture. The pests are found in greater numbers in tropical regions where living conditions for termites is optimal.
Subterranean termites are the most abundant variety and can be found throughout the United States. Both dampwood and drywood species are generally more localized in the Southern states.
Subterranean termite homes are usually formed in soil. Within these mounds, termites build elaborate tunnel systems and mud tunnels through which they access above-ground food sources.
Mud Tubes on Walls
Drywood termites live within the wood they consume and oftentimes infest walls and furniture.
When a colony has matured, winged, swarming termites can be seen around windows and doors. Winged termites are highly attracted to sources of light and are most active in springtime. After mating, these termites locate a new breeding site and create another colony, spreading infestations throughout multiple locationsin the case of drywood termites.
What Do They Eat?Termites are detritivores, or detritus feeders. They feed on dead plants and trees. Termites get nutrients from cellulose, an organic fiber found in wood and plant matter. Wood makes up the majority of the pests diet, although termites also eat other materials such as paper, plastic, and drywall. Most species prefer dead wood, but some termites feed on living trees.
Each type of termite has its own dietary preferences.
A termites mouth is capable of tearing pieces of woody material. This ability is what causes concern in human dwellings: while termite workersonly measure approximately 1 cm to a few millimetersin length, their feeding habits are capable of causing costly damage to property. House foundations, furniture, shelvesand evenbooks are all possible feeding sites for termites.
Read more about what termites eat.
Workers and soldiers live approximately one to two years. Queen termites may survive for over a decae under optimal climate conditions.
Workers are responsible for gathering and feeding the colony members, maintaining the nest, and caring for young. Soldiers protect the termite colony using their large mandibles to fend off predators. Reproductives are the only sexually mature members of the colony, aside from queens and kings. Read more about termite colonies.
The life cycle of the termite begins with a mating flight, wherein swarming winged reproductive males and females leave established colonies and procreate. After fertilization, winged termites land and shed their wings, going on to form new colonies. These insects then become the king or queen termites of their newly established colonies. The queen and king termites are at the center of the termite life cycle and are responsible for reproduction.
After the fertilized queen lays her eggs, they hatch into pale white larvae.
Eggs hatch into larvae and molt (shed their exoskeletons) to develop into workers, soldiers, primary reproductives and secondary reproductives. A nymph is a young termite that is going through molts to become a reproductive.
The termite growth process begins with a process called molting. First, a termite develops a soft exoskeleton under its current, hard exoskeleton. Then, once the termite has reached maturity, its outermost skeleton splits open, and the new exoskeleton enlarges and hardens. This molting process continues throughout a termites life cycle based on the colonys needs.
Over the course of several molts, these larvae grow to assume a role in one of the three termite colony castes: workers, soldiers and reproductive termites, also known as alates.
Follow this link:
Termites: Types, Facts & How to Identify Them - 15% Off ...
- 5 Natural Pest Control Options That Work | Wellness Mama - October 28th, 2019
- Atlas Pest Control OKC | Exterminator | Termite Control - October 20th, 2019
- Flying termites - Identification and prevention | Western ... - October 7th, 2019
- Bedbugs - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - October 4th, 2019
- Exterminator How to Get Rid of Termites - May 23rd, 2019
- Marietta GA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - May 21st, 2019
- Pest Control Perth | Allpest - May 19th, 2019
- Termite Control - The Home Depot - May 13th, 2019
- Everything You Should Know About Flying Termites | Western ... - April 26th, 2019
- Pest Control Company in Blue Ridge, GA | Exterminator - April 9th, 2019
- Termite and Pest Control Lafayette, LA - J&J Exterminating - March 28th, 2019
- U.S. Pest Control - Official Site - March 10th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 | NYC ... - March 10th, 2019
- Termites: How to Identify and Control Them | Pest Control ... - March 10th, 2019
- Pest Control Pennsylvania | Bed Bug, Exterminator ... - March 10th, 2019
- Preferred Termite and Pest Control Pennsville NJ Exterminator - February 26th, 2019
- St Petersburg Pest Control Services - Tampa, Naples and Ft ... - January 29th, 2019
- Mooresville Pest Control | Termites & Ants Local ... - November 28th, 2018
- Truly Nolen Pest Control, Termite Control & Exterminator - November 28th, 2018
- Pest Control & Exterminators For Bed Bugs, Termites, Bees ... - October 16th, 2018
- Pest Control OKC - Exterminator OK | (405) 622-5999 ... - October 16th, 2018
- Termite Exterminator - Pasadena Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Downey Termite Exterminator - Olathe Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Athens Termite Exterminator - Athens Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- League City Termite Exterminator - League City Pest ... - September 29th, 2018
- Clermont Termite Exterminator - Clermont Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Bellevue Termite Exterminator - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Mansfield Termite Exterminator - Mansfield Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Abilene Termite Exterminator - Abilene Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Coppell Termite Exterminator - Coppell Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Renton Termite Exterminator - Renton Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Southlake Termite Exterminator - Southlake Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Irving Termite Exterminator - Irving Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Control Products | Termite Sprays & Baits | Fast ... - September 7th, 2018
- Rapid Pest Control Atlanta | Termites, Ants, Rats, All ... - July 1st, 2018
- Termite Control Company Phoenix, AZ | Blue Sky Pest - July 1st, 2018
- Termites - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 6th, 2018
- Termites In Memphis Tn | Termite Exterminator - May 29th, 2018
- Pest Control: Termites at The Home Depot - May 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Control & Prevention Services - May 19th, 2018
- Termite Pictures: Photo Gallery with Images - April 1st, 2018
- NJ Pest Control | Serving Morristown NJ - February 7th, 2018
- Exterminator's Of Bugs & Termites - Fumigation Worx - Pest ... - December 2nd, 2017
- Termite Extermination | Termite Control - November 30th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - November 21st, 2017
- Termite Control Products - Termite Treatment | Do My Own ... - November 21st, 2017
- Drywood Termites: Control & Identification - Orkin.com - October 25th, 2017
- Commissioners scratch for answer to bed bug problem - Salina Journal - September 8th, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market to Record an Exponential CAGR of 5.4% by 2026 - LANews By Abhishek Budholiya (press release) (blog) - September 8th, 2017
- Condo Smarts: Act fast to rid strata of pests - Times Colonist - August 30th, 2017
- Indy ranks eighth-worst for bed bugs - Fox 59 - August 25th, 2017
- Arrow Exterminators Announces 2017 Internal Scholarship Contest Winners - PCT Magazine - August 20th, 2017
- By 2026, Pest Control Services market will cross more than US$ 22 ... - Finance Wire - August 18th, 2017
- One of country's largest pest control companies, based in Reading ... - Lehigh Valley Business - August 2nd, 2017
- Have mice in your Lake Tahoe home? You're not alone! | South ... - South Tahoe Now - August 2nd, 2017
- Intensive Pest Control Service Offers Free Termite Inspections In Long Beach - Digital Journal - July 31st, 2017
- Berries, bugs and boogers - Lewistown Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market to Grow at a CAGR of 5.4% in Term of Value by 2026 - LANews By Abhishek Budholiya (press release) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Suspect in Big Blue Bug vandalism surrenders | WJAR - Turn to 10 - June 21st, 2017
- Exterminator tenting will close City Hall and Lightner - Historic City News - June 18th, 2017
- Veteran musicians join forces to open Festival Jam 2017 - Salina Journal (subscription) - June 8th, 2017
- Kalamazoo Pest Control Pros in Michigan Launches New Website ... - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- Termite Control Orange County - Good Herald - June 4th, 2017
- Arrow Exterminators Acquires Gary's Quality Pest Control - PCT Magazine - June 2nd, 2017
- Industry Mourns Loss of Norm Cooper - PCT Magazine - May 31st, 2017
- Termites force Apopka to tear down Edwards Field bleachers - Orlando Sentinel - May 29th, 2017
- When 'lolas' get involved with graduation balls - Inquirer.net - May 28th, 2017
- Apopka police headquarters bugged by termites - Orlando Sentinel - May 20th, 2017
- Everything You Should Know About Flying Termites - May 19th, 2017
- Five Things You Didn't Know About Billy Bretherton - TVOvermind - May 12th, 2017
- Exterminators seeing more termites, 'swarmers' pop up from fluctuating weather - KTUL - May 4th, 2017
- How to rid your home of those irritating pests - Daily Nation - May 3rd, 2017
- Truly An Original - Palisades Hudson Financial Group - May 3rd, 2017
- Courage and Cowardice in the Vietnam War's Final Hours - National Review - May 3rd, 2017
- Termite Swarms - Ask The Exterminator - May 1st, 2017
- Intensive Pest Control Offers Free Termite Inspections in Orange County - PRUnderground (press release) - April 28th, 2017
- Exterminator Hurt running unopposed for Council Place 4 - ReporterNews.com - April 23rd, 2017
- Early termite swarms not new to south Louisiana - StMaryNow.com - April 20th, 2017
- Warm, humid weather has termites out in droves | Shanghai Daily - Shanghai Daily (subscription) - April 19th, 2017
- Salon owner in Jacksonville's Springfield neighborhood says termites swarmed her building - WOKV - April 15th, 2017