While termites are active all year round, these unwelcome pest are most visible - through swarms, discarded wings and droppings - in the warmer weather. Termite swarms mark the start of termite season. This happens once a year during a select period of time which differs between species and location, with seasonality playing a big factor. Termites create nests both above and underground, and should they gain access into your home, could cause costly termite damage in structural repairs.
Termites can remain hidden and cause damage for years without notice. If you live in areas such as Phoenix or Los Angeles, Tempe or Salinas, there is one key warning sign you should be on the lookout for - flying termites. Also known as termite swarmers, these winged termites around your property could be the harbinger of much bigger problems.
Termite swarmers (also referred to as alates) are winged termites whose main role in life is reproducing and creating new termite colonies. In order to find a mate, these future termite kings and queens will swarm to find suitable locations for their colonies.
Emerging from tubes built by worker termites, termite swarmers range in color- from yellow to black - depending on the species. Like many other flying insects, termites are attracted to light and are often noticed around exterior lighting and window sills.
Termite swarmers are an unwelcome sight for any property owner. If you have seen what you believe to be a termite swarm in the vicinity of your property, we highly recommend bringing in a termite control professional. Contact Western Exterminator to schedule a property inspection with a licensed termite exterminator today.
Termites swarm to breed and start new colonies. A termite swarm marks the beginning of the termite life cycle. During this period the sexually developed male and female winged termites leave their nests and take flight. This is often referred to as nuptial flight and is also common and practiced by other insects such as ants.
After leaving their nest, the winged termites congregate in the air (swarms) and mate with termites of the same species from other colonies. After they have successfully mated, the termites land, shed their wings and start the process of creating a new colony.
Termites usually start to swarm in the early days of spring when the weather is warm and after a rain shower. Termites use environmental cues as a signal to start swarming and also synchronized with other termite colonies of the same species to ensure the possibility of inbreeding is reduced.
The time of day termite swarms occur depends on the species of termites. The majority of Subterranean termites swarm during the day while Formosan termites (a breed of subterranean termites) swarm during the night time.
Winged termites are highly attracted to sources of light such as street lamps and can often be found swarming around these sources.
Termites arent very good fliers and generally rely on the wind to help with air mileage. Because of this, termite swarms dont last long, and can be found close to the originating nests. However, if the wind is strong, the future king and queen termites will often travel far before starting a new colony.
Flying termites differ in appearance from other flying insects and can be identified by examining them closely.
Flying termites appear in a range of colors depending on the species. Generally, flying termites appear in the same beige/tan color as the other termite castes. They have two antennae which are often straight with a slight curve and have two sets of wings which are equal in length and white and translucent in color with a veiny appearance.
Termites, in general, can be defined by their body shape. Both flying termites and wingless termites have a thick body made up of one part. Termites do not have a constriction between their thorax and abdomen like ants do.
No, not all of them. Termites dont fall into the category of flying insects like wasps and mosquitoes do. Only a small set of termites can fly and they only do so for a short period of time before they lose their wings.
A termite colony is split into groups known as castes. Each caste has a particular role in the colony:
Out of the termite castes, it is only the Alates which can fly, as they are the only ones with wings. Alates are the only termites which are sexually developed, to become the future kings and queens of next seasons termite colonies. It is the Alates flying patterns and habits which we have come to know as termite swarms.
Accurate identification is the first step in determining your next. Termite swarmers are easily confused with flying ants. Knowing the difference between flying ants and flying termites could help homeowners save time, money and provide a peace of mind.
While both insects are similar in shape, size and color, they do differ in appearance if you know what to look out for.
Termite swarmers characterised by:
Flying ants characterised by:
So youve spotted swarms of flying insects around your property - and you are worried they might be termites. What should you do?
A licensed exterminator will be able to conduct a proper inspection of the property and recommend the best termite control solutions for your needs. Termite treatments vary depending on the type of termite. Western subterranean termites build colonies underground so a treatment targeting the soil would be needed; conversely, a property infested with drywood termites would often termite fumigation services. Western Exterminator termite swarmer exterminators will be able to provide you with comprehensive termite treatment options and recommendations for termite removal.
Termites are prevalent in cities on the West Coast, locations such as Anaheim, Apple Valley, Bakersfield, Escondido, Fresno, Hayward, Palm Springs, Santa Maria, Temecula and Van Nuys. Contact us to schedule a termite inspection today, as a termite infestation could be imminent.
See the article here:
Flying termites - Identification and prevention | Western ...
- Atlas Pest Control OKC | Exterminator | Termite Control - October 20th, 2019
- Bedbugs - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - October 4th, 2019
- Exterminator How to Get Rid of Termites - May 23rd, 2019
- Marietta GA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - May 21st, 2019
- Pest Control Perth | Allpest - May 19th, 2019
- Termite Control - The Home Depot - May 13th, 2019
- Everything You Should Know About Flying Termites | Western ... - April 26th, 2019
- Termites: Types, Facts & How to Identify Them - 15% Off ... - April 24th, 2019
- Pest Control Company in Blue Ridge, GA | Exterminator - April 9th, 2019
- Termite and Pest Control Lafayette, LA - J&J Exterminating - March 28th, 2019
- U.S. Pest Control - Official Site - March 10th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 | NYC ... - March 10th, 2019
- Termites: How to Identify and Control Them | Pest Control ... - March 10th, 2019
- Pest Control Pennsylvania | Bed Bug, Exterminator ... - March 10th, 2019
- Preferred Termite and Pest Control Pennsville NJ Exterminator - February 26th, 2019
- St Petersburg Pest Control Services - Tampa, Naples and Ft ... - January 29th, 2019
- Mooresville Pest Control | Termites & Ants Local ... - November 28th, 2018
- Truly Nolen Pest Control, Termite Control & Exterminator - November 28th, 2018
- Pest Control & Exterminators For Bed Bugs, Termites, Bees ... - October 16th, 2018
- Pest Control OKC - Exterminator OK | (405) 622-5999 ... - October 16th, 2018
- Termite Exterminator - Pasadena Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Downey Termite Exterminator - Olathe Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Athens Termite Exterminator - Athens Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- League City Termite Exterminator - League City Pest ... - September 29th, 2018
- Clermont Termite Exterminator - Clermont Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Bellevue Termite Exterminator - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Mansfield Termite Exterminator - Mansfield Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Abilene Termite Exterminator - Abilene Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Coppell Termite Exterminator - Coppell Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Renton Termite Exterminator - Renton Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Southlake Termite Exterminator - Southlake Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Irving Termite Exterminator - Irving Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Control Products | Termite Sprays & Baits | Fast ... - September 7th, 2018
- Rapid Pest Control Atlanta | Termites, Ants, Rats, All ... - July 1st, 2018
- Termite Control Company Phoenix, AZ | Blue Sky Pest - July 1st, 2018
- Termites - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 6th, 2018
- Termites In Memphis Tn | Termite Exterminator - May 29th, 2018
- Pest Control: Termites at The Home Depot - May 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Control & Prevention Services - May 19th, 2018
- Termite Pictures: Photo Gallery with Images - April 1st, 2018
- NJ Pest Control | Serving Morristown NJ - February 7th, 2018
- Exterminator's Of Bugs & Termites - Fumigation Worx - Pest ... - December 2nd, 2017
- Termite Extermination | Termite Control - November 30th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - November 21st, 2017
- Termite Control Products - Termite Treatment | Do My Own ... - November 21st, 2017
- Drywood Termites: Control & Identification - Orkin.com - October 25th, 2017
- Commissioners scratch for answer to bed bug problem - Salina Journal - September 8th, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market to Record an Exponential CAGR of 5.4% by 2026 - LANews By Abhishek Budholiya (press release) (blog) - September 8th, 2017
- Condo Smarts: Act fast to rid strata of pests - Times Colonist - August 30th, 2017
- Indy ranks eighth-worst for bed bugs - Fox 59 - August 25th, 2017
- Arrow Exterminators Announces 2017 Internal Scholarship Contest Winners - PCT Magazine - August 20th, 2017
- By 2026, Pest Control Services market will cross more than US$ 22 ... - Finance Wire - August 18th, 2017
- One of country's largest pest control companies, based in Reading ... - Lehigh Valley Business - August 2nd, 2017
- Have mice in your Lake Tahoe home? You're not alone! | South ... - South Tahoe Now - August 2nd, 2017
- Intensive Pest Control Service Offers Free Termite Inspections In Long Beach - Digital Journal - July 31st, 2017
- Berries, bugs and boogers - Lewistown Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market to Grow at a CAGR of 5.4% in Term of Value by 2026 - LANews By Abhishek Budholiya (press release) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Suspect in Big Blue Bug vandalism surrenders | WJAR - Turn to 10 - June 21st, 2017
- Exterminator tenting will close City Hall and Lightner - Historic City News - June 18th, 2017
- Veteran musicians join forces to open Festival Jam 2017 - Salina Journal (subscription) - June 8th, 2017
- Kalamazoo Pest Control Pros in Michigan Launches New Website ... - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- Termite Control Orange County - Good Herald - June 4th, 2017
- Arrow Exterminators Acquires Gary's Quality Pest Control - PCT Magazine - June 2nd, 2017
- Industry Mourns Loss of Norm Cooper - PCT Magazine - May 31st, 2017
- Termites force Apopka to tear down Edwards Field bleachers - Orlando Sentinel - May 29th, 2017
- When 'lolas' get involved with graduation balls - Inquirer.net - May 28th, 2017
- Apopka police headquarters bugged by termites - Orlando Sentinel - May 20th, 2017
- Everything You Should Know About Flying Termites - May 19th, 2017
- Five Things You Didn't Know About Billy Bretherton - TVOvermind - May 12th, 2017
- Exterminators seeing more termites, 'swarmers' pop up from fluctuating weather - KTUL - May 4th, 2017
- How to rid your home of those irritating pests - Daily Nation - May 3rd, 2017
- Truly An Original - Palisades Hudson Financial Group - May 3rd, 2017
- Courage and Cowardice in the Vietnam War's Final Hours - National Review - May 3rd, 2017
- Termite Swarms - Ask The Exterminator - May 1st, 2017
- Intensive Pest Control Offers Free Termite Inspections in Orange County - PRUnderground (press release) - April 28th, 2017
- Exterminator Hurt running unopposed for Council Place 4 - ReporterNews.com - April 23rd, 2017
- Early termite swarms not new to south Louisiana - StMaryNow.com - April 20th, 2017
- Warm, humid weather has termites out in droves | Shanghai Daily - Shanghai Daily (subscription) - April 19th, 2017
- Salon owner in Jacksonville's Springfield neighborhood says termites swarmed her building - WOKV - April 15th, 2017
- Why can't things just be simpler like the old days? - Bluefield Daily Telegraph - April 13th, 2017