I would have thought that with all the snow we had last Winter, insects wouldnt be bad this year. And I would have been wrong. Ive always been a target for mosquitos when I am outside (thus my obsession withnatural bug spray recipes), but this year, it seems like there is a giant insect conspiracy to dive bomb and infiltrate every door of our house the second it is open (which is every other second with our kids).
The normal advice to make sure to keep counters and floors clean and put food away so insects arent attracted to your house, doesnt works so well when you are fermenting jars of sweetened tea (kombucha) and sugar water (water kefir) on the kitchen counters.
That advice also doesnt work so well when my kids favorite snacks are fresh fruits and veggies and inevitably, some of them drip on the table or floor.
Thankfully, there is a great pest control company locally that ran a special where I could have our entire house and yard sprayed with pesticides to ward off ticks, mosquitos, roaches, fliesand other things Ive never even heard of. So of course I jumped on that deal right away.
In case you missed the sarcasm in that last paragraph I absolutely did not have our house sprayed, but I knew I had to find some natural pest control options that actually worked before the flies few off with my sanity.
I turned to some of the natural pest control ideas Id used in the garden before, and tried the suggestions of friends. These were the options that worked best for us:
Diatomaceous Earth (or DE) is a fine powder made from the fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of algae. It has a very hard shell, is high in silica and is very sharp, though it is so fine that it doesnt do damage to human tissue or skin. In fact, Ive taken it internally before to get rid of parasites and for its silica content (helps hair and nail growth).
As I explained before:
The strong negative charge of diatomaceous earth means that it naturally attaches to and removes from the body things like: chemicals, viruses, bacteria, heavy metals and even radiation. Its sharp/strong structure allows it to puncture the exoskeleton of insects on a microscopic level, causing them to dehydrate and die (while humans and animals are left completely unharmed).
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is recognized as safe for human and animal use, and food grade DE is considered safe for human consumption, even during pregnancy and nursing.
Ive found the DE is especially effective for ants, fleas, roaches and other insects that walk or jump rather than fly. The only caution is to avoid inhaling the powder as it can be irritating to the lungs. This post explains other ways we use DE.
How to use DE for pest control: When I noticed an invasion, I sprinkled DE liberally on the carpets and in areas where the ants seemed to be entering. Within a day or two, the ant problem had solved itself and I just vacuumed up the remaining powder.
Years ago, when we adopted a precious kitten who brought some not-so-precious fleas with her, our apartment became flea infested within days. Thankfully (or unfortunately), we had white carpet, so I just sprinkled DE on the cat and all the floors a couple times a day for a week and the fleas were gone.
Where to get DE: I use this brand because it is food grade so we can also use it internally. Ive also ordered 50 pound bags inexpensively from local supply stores and co-ops before, it can just be difficult to find a food grade option.
Katie of KitchenStewardship.com suggested this method when I interviewed her on my podcast last year and it works quiteeffectively, though it does take a day or two to start working because the ants take it back to their home and it poisons them.
It is made with borax and corn syrup (the only thing Id recommend using it for) and while you wouldnt want to let your children play with or eat it, borax is much less toxic than pesticides. (I cover the safety of using borax in this post).
Her method is to mix equal parts Borax powder and corn syrup and spread on an index card. The ants are attracted to the sweetener, eat it and take it back to their nest and it poisons them. Again, not an immediate fix, but a good long-term one.
Fruit flies have been especially bad this year, and because of their size are difficult to trap. Thankfully, we havent had too many large flies, but the fruit flies were starting to drive me a little crazy.
Someone at the farmers market suggested these natural fruit fly traps and they have worked great. I keep one on the counter near the fruit and we havent had trouble with fruit flies since we got them.
The easiest way to deal with indoor pests is to keep them from coming indoors in the first place. Easier said than done, but I had good results with using a vinegar and essential oils spray on the outside of our doors where flies and ants were coming in.
I mixed 2 cups of water with 1 cup of white vinegar, 50 drops of peppermint essential oil, 20 drops of basil essential oil and 20 drops of lemon essential oil. It actually didnt smell bad but seemed to repel the insects.
I liked this natural pest control solution because it was duel-purpose. Fresh basil leaves seem to repel flies effectively, and I love the flavor or basil (pesto anyone?). I potted some fresh basil plants and placed them near each of our doors. It seemed to cut down on the insect invasion and we now have an almost endless supply of fresh basil leaves for caprese salad and other recipes.
Has your home been invaded by pests this year? What has worked for you?
View original post here:
5 Natural Pest Control Options That Work | Wellness Mama
- Atlas Pest Control OKC | Exterminator | Termite Control - October 20th, 2019
- Flying termites - Identification and prevention | Western ... - October 7th, 2019
- Bedbugs - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - October 4th, 2019
- Exterminator How to Get Rid of Termites - May 23rd, 2019
- Marietta GA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - May 21st, 2019
- Pest Control Perth | Allpest - May 19th, 2019
- Termite Control - The Home Depot - May 13th, 2019
- Everything You Should Know About Flying Termites | Western ... - April 26th, 2019
- Termites: Types, Facts & How to Identify Them - 15% Off ... - April 24th, 2019
- Pest Control Company in Blue Ridge, GA | Exterminator - April 9th, 2019
- Termite and Pest Control Lafayette, LA - J&J Exterminating - March 28th, 2019
- U.S. Pest Control - Official Site - March 10th, 2019
- Top 6 Best Termite Treatments | Updated for 2019 | NYC ... - March 10th, 2019
- Termites: How to Identify and Control Them | Pest Control ... - March 10th, 2019
- Pest Control Pennsylvania | Bed Bug, Exterminator ... - March 10th, 2019
- Preferred Termite and Pest Control Pennsville NJ Exterminator - February 26th, 2019
- St Petersburg Pest Control Services - Tampa, Naples and Ft ... - January 29th, 2019
- Mooresville Pest Control | Termites & Ants Local ... - November 28th, 2018
- Truly Nolen Pest Control, Termite Control & Exterminator - November 28th, 2018
- Pest Control & Exterminators For Bed Bugs, Termites, Bees ... - October 16th, 2018
- Pest Control OKC - Exterminator OK | (405) 622-5999 ... - October 16th, 2018
- Termite Exterminator - Pasadena Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Downey Termite Exterminator - Olathe Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- Athens Termite Exterminator - Athens Pest Control Pros - October 3rd, 2018
- League City Termite Exterminator - League City Pest ... - September 29th, 2018
- Clermont Termite Exterminator - Clermont Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Bellevue Termite Exterminator - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Mansfield Termite Exterminator - Mansfield Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Abilene Termite Exterminator - Abilene Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Coppell Termite Exterminator - Coppell Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Renton Termite Exterminator - Renton Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Southlake Termite Exterminator - Southlake Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Irving Termite Exterminator - Irving Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Termite Control Products | Termite Sprays & Baits | Fast ... - September 7th, 2018
- Rapid Pest Control Atlanta | Termites, Ants, Rats, All ... - July 1st, 2018
- Termite Control Company Phoenix, AZ | Blue Sky Pest - July 1st, 2018
- Termites - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 6th, 2018
- Termites In Memphis Tn | Termite Exterminator - May 29th, 2018
- Pest Control: Termites at The Home Depot - May 23rd, 2018
- The Best Termite Control & Prevention Services - May 19th, 2018
- Termite Pictures: Photo Gallery with Images - April 1st, 2018
- NJ Pest Control | Serving Morristown NJ - February 7th, 2018
- Exterminator's Of Bugs & Termites - Fumigation Worx - Pest ... - December 2nd, 2017
- Termite Extermination | Termite Control - November 30th, 2017
- Arizona Pest Control | Tucson Termite Control Experts - November 21st, 2017
- Termite Control Products - Termite Treatment | Do My Own ... - November 21st, 2017
- Drywood Termites: Control & Identification - Orkin.com - October 25th, 2017
- Commissioners scratch for answer to bed bug problem - Salina Journal - September 8th, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market to Record an Exponential CAGR of 5.4% by 2026 - LANews By Abhishek Budholiya (press release) (blog) - September 8th, 2017
- Condo Smarts: Act fast to rid strata of pests - Times Colonist - August 30th, 2017
- Indy ranks eighth-worst for bed bugs - Fox 59 - August 25th, 2017
- Arrow Exterminators Announces 2017 Internal Scholarship Contest Winners - PCT Magazine - August 20th, 2017
- By 2026, Pest Control Services market will cross more than US$ 22 ... - Finance Wire - August 18th, 2017
- One of country's largest pest control companies, based in Reading ... - Lehigh Valley Business - August 2nd, 2017
- Have mice in your Lake Tahoe home? You're not alone! | South ... - South Tahoe Now - August 2nd, 2017
- Intensive Pest Control Service Offers Free Termite Inspections In Long Beach - Digital Journal - July 31st, 2017
- Berries, bugs and boogers - Lewistown Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Pest Control Services Market to Grow at a CAGR of 5.4% in Term of Value by 2026 - LANews By Abhishek Budholiya (press release) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Suspect in Big Blue Bug vandalism surrenders | WJAR - Turn to 10 - June 21st, 2017
- Exterminator tenting will close City Hall and Lightner - Historic City News - June 18th, 2017
- Veteran musicians join forces to open Festival Jam 2017 - Salina Journal (subscription) - June 8th, 2017
- Kalamazoo Pest Control Pros in Michigan Launches New Website ... - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- Termite Control Orange County - Good Herald - June 4th, 2017
- Arrow Exterminators Acquires Gary's Quality Pest Control - PCT Magazine - June 2nd, 2017
- Industry Mourns Loss of Norm Cooper - PCT Magazine - May 31st, 2017
- Termites force Apopka to tear down Edwards Field bleachers - Orlando Sentinel - May 29th, 2017
- When 'lolas' get involved with graduation balls - Inquirer.net - May 28th, 2017
- Apopka police headquarters bugged by termites - Orlando Sentinel - May 20th, 2017
- Everything You Should Know About Flying Termites - May 19th, 2017
- Five Things You Didn't Know About Billy Bretherton - TVOvermind - May 12th, 2017
- Exterminators seeing more termites, 'swarmers' pop up from fluctuating weather - KTUL - May 4th, 2017
- How to rid your home of those irritating pests - Daily Nation - May 3rd, 2017
- Truly An Original - Palisades Hudson Financial Group - May 3rd, 2017
- Courage and Cowardice in the Vietnam War's Final Hours - National Review - May 3rd, 2017
- Termite Swarms - Ask The Exterminator - May 1st, 2017
- Intensive Pest Control Offers Free Termite Inspections in Orange County - PRUnderground (press release) - April 28th, 2017
- Exterminator Hurt running unopposed for Council Place 4 - ReporterNews.com - April 23rd, 2017
- Early termite swarms not new to south Louisiana - StMaryNow.com - April 20th, 2017
- Warm, humid weather has termites out in droves | Shanghai Daily - Shanghai Daily (subscription) - April 19th, 2017
- Salon owner in Jacksonville's Springfield neighborhood says termites swarmed her building - WOKV - April 15th, 2017