Its the most celebrated period of British ingenuity but are our Victorian forebears due a rethink?
Rather than expand our horizons, did their exploration and discoveries actually encourage eugenics, leave some of our favourite species endangered and contribute to global warming?
Or, to put it more succinctly, did the Victorians ruin the world?
As a science comedian, or a stand-up physicist, thats what Im asking in a new Radio 4 show, which starts this week.
If you didnt have a beard you were an outcast
My passion for the age between 1837 and 1901 began when I worked as a guide at the Royal Albert Hall in Londons South Kensington.
My university was nearby at Imperial College: all part of a centre of culture and science created by the Victorians. What better place to feed my fanaticism?
My sister Kat, who presents the show with me, also caught the bug.
She plays a harp in a Victorian-Bollywood punk band and has a lot of love for corsetry.
As you do.
But I eventually began to realise that not everything the Victorians did was wonderful. Taking a long list of things invented or popularised in the era, we started to ask if their discoveries were good or, to put it mildly, a bit rubbish.
The results were certainly a mixed bag... Let me start with our first topic: the unleashing of the grey squirrel.
This was a breed the Victorians introduced from America because they were fashionable, woodland rodents. Like most people, Im a huge fan of the native red.
Everyone loves them. Poor reds, I thought, they keep getting their little furry bottoms kicked by the greys.
What we actually found out from our squirrel expert at the University of Leeds is that the grey is not to blame.
It was the Victorians! In 1903, there existed a Scottish society called the Highland Squirrel Club, set up to eradicate the ginger race.
In just 40 years, more than 100,000 reds were killed as pests. So the greys werent the only exterminators.
More shocking, possibly, was our discovery that reds cant properly digest acorns. So that lovely Beatrix Potter image of Squirrel Nutkin eating an acorn is pure propaganda.
Its all lies. Victorian lies!
Now for exhibit B: the beard. Kat had noticed that a lot of people who came to our live shows had fantastic facial hair.
But if you think we are at Peak Beard in 2017, think again. The amount of facial hair on the high street today can be traced directly back to the Victorian era when, over a 50-year stretch, beards went from zero to hero.
If you didnt have a beard you were an outcast.
There are two reasons for this. Firstly, during the Crimean war the soldiers, who were freezing their faces off near southern Ukraine, grew beards for warmth and returned as heroes.
Queen Victoria wrote about them in her diary and clearly liked seeing all these handsome, furry veterans. One of my favourite guest experts on the series is Dr Alun Withey, a pogonologist who has spent his life studying beards.
He told us that, thanks to industrialisation, many Victorian men spent their lives in mundane office jobs. Feeling emasculated, they grew beards. And theyre doing it again.
Fascinatingly, Victorians also thought beards were good for health.
They saw them as hairy dust filters for the lungs, with added sun protection. I rubbished this idea but a study in the 2014 Journal of Hospital Infection showed that hospital workers with beards were less likely to be carrying the superbug MRSA than clean-shaven ones.
So well have to give the Victorians a point for that one.
Being a physicist, I was most excited about the discoveries Kat and I made about the automobile. There is no doubt this invention eventually led to mass pollution and environmental destruction.
However, the Victorians also invented electric cars, a century before todays Teslas.
There were other engines that ran on heat transfer and hydrogen engines are actually a pre-Victorian invention.
If the Victorians had been given another 30 years research before some chump invented the petrol engine they might have made battery-powered cars that could go the extra mile or perfected hydrogen engines that didnt blow up.
We could all be flying hydrogen powered planes and driving electric cars now!
Instead the rush for fast, petrol powered machines has meant destroying our planet with fossil fuels.
1 of 9
Now, lets talk Charles Darwin. You might ask how has he ruined the world? but while Darwin wasnt the problem his theories have certainly been used for evil...
His cousin Francis Galton took Charless ideas about evolution and twisted them into something he called eugenics, later used by the Nazis to justify mass extermination.
Another thing close to my heart (or rather, stomach) didnt make it into this series: curry.
The Victorians took this dish and turned it into a shadow of its former self by making it all British.
OK, its great that they brought it over to the UK but the legacy is a pathetic plastic tray filled with tiny portions of rice and chicken tikka masala.
I went into a supermarket the other day and there were two different types of curry pizza. Yes, curry pizza. Two great cuisines destroyed in one. Has it really come to this?
If you havent already guessed, there isnt a straight yes or no answer to the question did the Victorians ruin the world?. The phrase it seemed like a good idea at the time springs to mind.
Yet today we are still following in their sometimes genius, sometimes disastrous, footsteps.
Helen Arney is a physicist, comic and musician. Did The Victorians Ruin The World?, Mon-Fri at 1.45pm on BBC Radio 4
- Pest control services | Western Exterminator - April 26th, 2020
- 2020 Cost to Hire an Exterminator | Pest Control Cost - April 26th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels in the Attic - Pest Control ... - March 20th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels in Attic | Terminix - November 9th, 2019
- Billy the Exterminator: Feisty Squirrel | A&E - November 9th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels: Tips for Control | Terminix - October 29th, 2019
- Priority Pest Services - Pest Control Hampton Roads - October 6th, 2019
- Squirrel Removal Services | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Ground Squirrels: Humane and Risky Options - September 25th, 2019
- Squirrel Pest Control Services | Western Exterminator - September 24th, 2019
- Billy the Exterminator: Squirrels in the Attic (Season 2, Episode 13) | Full Episode | A&E - September 10th, 2019
- Wilmington DE: Pest Control & Exterminator Service Near You - April 23rd, 2019
- Squirrel Trapping - Get Rid Of Squirrels | Squirrel Removal - April 19th, 2019
- Attack Wave Squirrel Repeller - pestcontroldeluxe.com - April 14th, 2019
- Squirrels: Facts, Identification & Control | Terminix - March 21st, 2019
- Pearland, TX Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - March 11th, 2019
- Does Orkin Offer Solutions for Squirrel Problems? - ATOM - March 7th, 2019
- Connecticut Squirrel Exterminator | Squirrel Removal CT ... - February 20th, 2019
- Delaware Squirrel Removal - delaware-exterminator.com - February 18th, 2019
- Camelback Crickets - asktheexterminator.com - January 29th, 2019
- Squirrel Control - How To Get Rid Of Squirrels | DoMyOwn.com - December 22nd, 2018
- How To Control Squirrels | Solutions Pest & Lawn - September 19th, 2018
- Chesterfield MI Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - July 16th, 2018
- Integrity Pest Control - -Termite -Rodent -Wildlife - July 6th, 2018
- Canton Termite And Pest Control (The Exterminator) - June 25th, 2018
- Urban Wildlife Control Atlanta GA - Atlanta Animal Control ... - June 19th, 2018
- Pest Control Long Island | Exterminator Long Island | Bug ... - June 16th, 2018
- Squirrel Infestations: Signs & Treatment - Orkin.com - May 24th, 2018
- Can Squirrels Cause Roof Damage? | Knockout Roofing - March 23rd, 2018
- Squirrel Pest Control & Removal - Get Rid of Squirrels - March 22nd, 2018
- Gopher Control, Gopher Removal, Exterminator - Gopher and ... - February 14th, 2018
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - December 27th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - December 19th, 2017
- Flying Squirrel | World's Weirdest - YouTube - December 8th, 2017
- Kingston, NY Exterminator | Insect & Rodent Pest Control - November 20th, 2017
- Katydid - Ask The Exterminator - November 20th, 2017
- Miller Pest Control: Pest Control & Exterminator Services - November 11th, 2017
- Looney Tunes-inspired mayhem gets tiresome fast - The Straits Times - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Company in NJ | Termite Control | Balance of ... - September 3rd, 2017
- No signs of rat infestation in Westerly | The Westerly Sun - The Westerly Sun - September 2nd, 2017
- In contrast to Stonington, Westerly hasn't had too many problems with rats - The Westerly Sun - September 1st, 2017
- 'The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature': You know what I'm saying? - Flayrah - August 28th, 2017
- White spots on crape myrtle could be scale - San Antonio Express-News (subscription) - August 25th, 2017
- Crape myrtle scales won't do permanent damage | Neil Sperry ... - Bryan-College Station Eagle - August 25th, 2017
- Movie review: Sequel squirrels away radical themes - Bloomington Pantagraph - August 18th, 2017
- How to Get Squirrels Out of Your Attic | Terminix - August 16th, 2017
- The Nut Job 2 marks a slight improvement on its way ... - The AV Club - A.V. Club - August 12th, 2017
- What's hot this week in theaters: The Nut Job 2 - Madison.com - August 12th, 2017
- Life at The Par 3 motel: 'It's no mansion' - Richmond.com - August 5th, 2017
- Police Report: Garth Road Woman Bitten by Dog; Speeding Driver Arrested on Post Road - Scarsdale10583.com - August 2nd, 2017
- Ammi Midstokke: Beauty of nature indisputable sometimes - The Spokesman-Review - July 31st, 2017
- Tips to keep rabies-carrying wildlife away from your home - WFXL FOX 31 - July 12th, 2017
- Grey squirrel exterminator branded 'racist' by wildlife activists - Telegraph.co.uk - July 8th, 2017
- RH Line calls printed June 3, 2017 - Loveland Reporter-Herald - Loveland Reporter-Herald - June 3rd, 2017
- Deer control needed - Pentiction Western News - June 3rd, 2017
- Voles ripping up yards across Winnipeg - MetroNews Canada - April 25th, 2017
- Spiders - Ask The Exterminator - April 21st, 2017
- Pest Control Wildlife Control Macon Georgia - Exterminator - April 20th, 2017
- What to watch on TV this weekend - Radio Times - April 10th, 2017
- Will Mothballs Keep Squirrels Away? - pestkilled.com - March 11th, 2017
- Squirrels in the Attic - Charlotte Squirrel Removal - March 3rd, 2017
- In brief - Gillette News Record - February 19th, 2017
- Baits for Squirrels | Squirrel Baits | Havahart - January 25th, 2017
- Fogger - Ask The Exterminator - December 18th, 2016
- Toronto, ON Pest Control & Exterminator Services - December 14th, 2016
- Long Island Pest Control, Queens Exterminator - Top Quality - November 20th, 2016
- Exterminator Queens Village | Home | (347)-269-2307 - October 15th, 2016
- Termite Resistant Wood - Ask The Exterminator - October 15th, 2016
- Hawkeye Exterminators - Pest Control Des Moines , Iowa - September 22nd, 2016
- Palmetto Bugs - Ask The Exterminator - September 17th, 2016
- Squirrel Control: Trapping & Removal Service - August 31st, 2016
- Squirrel Damage | How To Stop Squirrels - November 2nd, 2015
- Quality Pest Control, Exterminator Services & Animal Removal - November 2nd, 2015
- Squirrel Control: Trapping & Removal - October 29th, 2015
- How to get rid of squirrels | ULTIMATE Repellent for ... - October 14th, 2015
- How to get rid of squirrels/chipmunks in attic ... - September 25th, 2015
- Ground Squirrel Control | RAM Pest Control - September 24th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal and Control - September 24th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal - Squirrel Control Solutions the Greater ... - September 9th, 2015
- Squirrel Control Products | Repel, Deter, Stop & Get Rid ... - September 8th, 2015