WESTERLY Westerly is just across the Pawcatuck River Bridge, but it appears the town is having fewer problems with rats than Pawcatuck.
Westerly has had a small number of rat complaints to investigate since April, said James Broccoli, minimum housing officer for Westerly, Wednesday. There has not been a major outcry for rat problems in Westerly.
Its about six or seven complaints, he said. I think people are worried about it because of articles in The Sun. He said he has cited two properties, but one was for a mice infestation. He said some unfounded calls also came in but he found no signs of rats in those instances.
In comparison, as of August 23, Pawcatuck has received about 25 to 30 complaints and issued five orders, some related to rats, some related to trash, according to Ryan McCammon, Supervisor of Environmental Health for Ledge Light Health District, which is Stoningtons health department.
The numbers are surprising since both towns are adjacent to the Pawcatuck River, which rat expert Robert Corrigan identified as a habitat for rats in a recent Sun article. Corrigan, of Briarcliff Manor, New York, runs RmC Pest Management in Richmond, Indiana, was a principal lecturer at the Rodent Control Academy, and has authored a book about rodent control for pest management professionals,
It isnt clear why Westerly has had fewer rat complaints, but residents and business owners have been cooperative if rats or signs of rats were found on a property, said Broccoli, who started in his position in April.
Where I do see it, everyones been on board, he said. The people from the town have been great about getting treatment and exterminators and doing what they need to do as property owners.
Do the basics first
Working with neighbors on preventive measures is the best way to stop the problem, he said.
What is important for everyone to remember are the basics to prevent [the rats] from coming to your house and neighborhood, he wrote in an email. Work with everyone in your house/apartment and together with your neighbors to prevent rodents. Do not provide rodents with the food and shelter they seek.
Broccoli said it was important to block rats food supplies with practical methods, like using a trash can with a lid.
Cut off the food supply
Feeding animals and birds outside, including dogs and cats, provides a food source for rats, Broccoli said.
Bird feeders and squirrel feeders are also a problem, he said. Again, youre putting a food source out there for rodents to come and eat.
Because they provide a food source, chicken coops are a problem, he said.
Call an exterminator
Broccoli said he encourages people to hire an exterminator rather than try to solve the problem themselves.
I recommend people get an exterminator I tell them to pick who they want, theres a good amount of them on the internet, pick a local company, he said.
He said that owners of rental properties were required also to hire an exterminator by law.
To prevent rat infestations, everyone must participate and remind one another what needs to be done, he said.
People from a community aspect, neighbors should be neighborly, he said. You could say, hey why dont you clean that up over there, or dont stack that material over there, or dont leave your dog food out.
He also said that upholstered furniture, cushions and mattresses should not be left outside because they provide nesting areas for rats.
The more people know about the problem, the more theyll take preventive measures, he said.
Better safe than sorry
Westerly Minimum Housing Officer James Broccolis list of precautions that residents and property owners are responsible for, adapted from Westerlys Ordinances and the Rhode Island Property Maintenance Codes.
Exterior property/premises must be maintained in a clean, safe and sanitary condition.
Premises/exterior property must be maintained free of weeds or tall grass in excess of 6 inches.
All exterior property and premises, and the interior of every structure, shall be free from any accumulation of rubbish or garbage.
Every occupant of a structure shall dispose of all rubbish in a clean and sanitary manner by placing such rubbish in approved containers with lids.
Every window intended to be used for ventilation, and every other opening located at or near ground level which might provide an entry for rodents, must be supplied with adequate screens or other devices that will effectively prevent their entrance.
All doors, including swinging, sliding and folding types, must be constructed so that the space between the lower edge of the door and the threshold and the space between sections of folding and sliding doors when closed does not exceed three-eighths inch (3/8).
Basement floors and/or the floors and areas in contact with the soil, and located at a maximum depth of four feet (4) or less from the grade line, must be paved with concrete or other rat impervious material. Skirting, lattice, or other non-rat-proofed enclosures displaying evidence of rat harborage under a porch or any portions of a building must be rat-proofed at all locations where evidence of burrowing or gnawing was found.
Structures/exterior property must be kept free from rodent harborage and infestation. Where rodents are found, they shall be promptly exterminated by approved processes not be injurious to human health. After extermination, proper precautions shall be taken to eliminate rodent harborage and prevent reinfestation. Mattresses, cushions, old chairs, couches, along with any other materials that may be used for harborage must be removed.
No inoperative or unlicensed motor vehicle shall be parked, kept or stored on any premises, and no vehicle shall at any time be in a state of major disassembly, disrepair, or in the process of being stripped or dismantled. Old cars make an excellent habitat for all types of rodents.
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels in the Attic - Pest Control ... - March 20th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels in Attic | Terminix - November 9th, 2019
- Billy the Exterminator: Feisty Squirrel | A&E - November 9th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels: Tips for Control | Terminix - October 29th, 2019
- Priority Pest Services - Pest Control Hampton Roads - October 6th, 2019
- Squirrel Removal Services | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Ground Squirrels: Humane and Risky Options - September 25th, 2019
- Squirrel Pest Control Services | Western Exterminator - September 24th, 2019
- Billy the Exterminator: Squirrels in the Attic (Season 2, Episode 13) | Full Episode | A&E - September 10th, 2019
- Wilmington DE: Pest Control & Exterminator Service Near You - April 23rd, 2019
- Squirrel Trapping - Get Rid Of Squirrels | Squirrel Removal - April 19th, 2019
- Attack Wave Squirrel Repeller - pestcontroldeluxe.com - April 14th, 2019
- Squirrels: Facts, Identification & Control | Terminix - March 21st, 2019
- Pearland, TX Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - March 11th, 2019
- Does Orkin Offer Solutions for Squirrel Problems? - ATOM - March 7th, 2019
- Connecticut Squirrel Exterminator | Squirrel Removal CT ... - February 20th, 2019
- Delaware Squirrel Removal - delaware-exterminator.com - February 18th, 2019
- Camelback Crickets - asktheexterminator.com - January 29th, 2019
- Squirrel Control - How To Get Rid Of Squirrels | DoMyOwn.com - December 22nd, 2018
- How To Control Squirrels | Solutions Pest & Lawn - September 19th, 2018
- Chesterfield MI Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - July 16th, 2018
- Integrity Pest Control - -Termite -Rodent -Wildlife - July 6th, 2018
- Canton Termite And Pest Control (The Exterminator) - June 25th, 2018
- Urban Wildlife Control Atlanta GA - Atlanta Animal Control ... - June 19th, 2018
- Pest Control Long Island | Exterminator Long Island | Bug ... - June 16th, 2018
- Squirrel Infestations: Signs & Treatment - Orkin.com - May 24th, 2018
- Can Squirrels Cause Roof Damage? | Knockout Roofing - March 23rd, 2018
- Squirrel Pest Control & Removal - Get Rid of Squirrels - March 22nd, 2018
- Gopher Control, Gopher Removal, Exterminator - Gopher and ... - February 14th, 2018
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - December 27th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - December 19th, 2017
- Flying Squirrel | World's Weirdest - YouTube - December 8th, 2017
- Kingston, NY Exterminator | Insect & Rodent Pest Control - November 20th, 2017
- Katydid - Ask The Exterminator - November 20th, 2017
- Miller Pest Control: Pest Control & Exterminator Services - November 11th, 2017
- Looney Tunes-inspired mayhem gets tiresome fast - The Straits Times - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Company in NJ | Termite Control | Balance of ... - September 3rd, 2017
- No signs of rat infestation in Westerly | The Westerly Sun - The Westerly Sun - September 2nd, 2017
- 'The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature': You know what I'm saying? - Flayrah - August 28th, 2017
- White spots on crape myrtle could be scale - San Antonio Express-News (subscription) - August 25th, 2017
- Crape myrtle scales won't do permanent damage | Neil Sperry ... - Bryan-College Station Eagle - August 25th, 2017
- Movie review: Sequel squirrels away radical themes - Bloomington Pantagraph - August 18th, 2017
- How to Get Squirrels Out of Your Attic | Terminix - August 16th, 2017
- The Nut Job 2 marks a slight improvement on its way ... - The AV Club - A.V. Club - August 12th, 2017
- What's hot this week in theaters: The Nut Job 2 - Madison.com - August 12th, 2017
- Life at The Par 3 motel: 'It's no mansion' - Richmond.com - August 5th, 2017
- Police Report: Garth Road Woman Bitten by Dog; Speeding Driver Arrested on Post Road - Scarsdale10583.com - August 2nd, 2017
- Ammi Midstokke: Beauty of nature indisputable sometimes - The Spokesman-Review - July 31st, 2017
- Tips to keep rabies-carrying wildlife away from your home - WFXL FOX 31 - July 12th, 2017
- Grey squirrel exterminator branded 'racist' by wildlife activists - Telegraph.co.uk - July 8th, 2017
- RH Line calls printed June 3, 2017 - Loveland Reporter-Herald - Loveland Reporter-Herald - June 3rd, 2017
- Deer control needed - Pentiction Western News - June 3rd, 2017
- Voles ripping up yards across Winnipeg - MetroNews Canada - April 25th, 2017
- Spiders - Ask The Exterminator - April 21st, 2017
- Pest Control Wildlife Control Macon Georgia - Exterminator - April 20th, 2017
- What to watch on TV this weekend - Radio Times - April 10th, 2017
- So, just what did the Victorians ever do for us? Helen Arney investigates - Express.co.uk - April 2nd, 2017
- Will Mothballs Keep Squirrels Away? - pestkilled.com - March 11th, 2017
- Squirrels in the Attic - Charlotte Squirrel Removal - March 3rd, 2017
- In brief - Gillette News Record - February 19th, 2017
- Baits for Squirrels | Squirrel Baits | Havahart - January 25th, 2017
- Fogger - Ask The Exterminator - December 18th, 2016
- Toronto, ON Pest Control & Exterminator Services - December 14th, 2016
- Long Island Pest Control, Queens Exterminator - Top Quality - November 20th, 2016
- Exterminator Queens Village | Home | (347)-269-2307 - October 15th, 2016
- Termite Resistant Wood - Ask The Exterminator - October 15th, 2016
- Hawkeye Exterminators - Pest Control Des Moines , Iowa - September 22nd, 2016
- Palmetto Bugs - Ask The Exterminator - September 17th, 2016
- Squirrel Control: Trapping & Removal Service - August 31st, 2016
- Squirrel Damage | How To Stop Squirrels - November 2nd, 2015
- Quality Pest Control, Exterminator Services & Animal Removal - November 2nd, 2015
- Squirrel Control: Trapping & Removal - October 29th, 2015
- How to get rid of squirrels | ULTIMATE Repellent for ... - October 14th, 2015
- How to get rid of squirrels/chipmunks in attic ... - September 25th, 2015
- Ground Squirrel Control | RAM Pest Control - September 24th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal and Control - September 24th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal - Squirrel Control Solutions the Greater ... - September 9th, 2015
- Squirrel Control Products | Repel, Deter, Stop & Get Rid ... - September 8th, 2015
- Squirrel Trapping Removal and Control - Tucson, Arizona - September 3rd, 2015
- Squirrel Control Blog - Squirrel Information - August 28th, 2015