Dear Neil: We have a crape myrtle that developed white spots on its bark this summer. Someone told us to spray the spots with alcohol, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Now there are orange wasp-like insects flying around it. Do you have any idea what is going on?
A: The white spots on the bark might be crape myrtle scale, a relatively new insect first observed in Richardson in 2004. It has since spread to other parts of the state. They look like large mealy bugs, and it's possible to have many of them on a plant. They exude sticky honeydew which might be attracting other insects, but the scales don't do a lot of permanent damage. Sooty mold (black) may grow in the honeydew. If it is the scale, the remedy is to apply a systemic insecticide in mid-May. However, I'm not completely convinced that's what you have just from the description. Take a photo or sample to a Texas Certified Nursery Professional.
Dear Neil: We have bare spots beneath our live oaks. We put new St. Augustine sod in eight years ago and it has gradually disappeared. I understand it's the competition from the live oaks' roots plus the lack of sunlight. Thoughts?
A: Your understandings are correct, although I think the scales tilt heavily toward the side of excessive shade. St. Augustine needs at least five or six hours of complete and direct sunlight daily. With less than that it will thin and die. Not only do live oaks spread and cast very heavy shade as they grow larger, they also hold their leaves almost all year so the St. Augustine almost never gets much direct sunlight. It's probably time to start planning a shade-tolerant groundcover such as mondograss, liriope or English ivy.
Dear Neil: We have two bearing peach trees. However, the peaches disappear literally overnight. Do squirrels do that? How can I deter them?
A: That wouldn't be squirrels if the fruit are disappearing at night. It sounds a lot more like raccoons or possums. You might try a humane trap at the base of one of the trees. It won't be easy. Both animals are very cunning.
Dear Neil: These camellia bushes were planted this spring. I have them on a timer that waters them every morning for 90 minutes with a drip irrigation soaker. I was gone for 10 days and came home to find this. Can it be saved?
A: The one in the center is gone. I can't imagine it can be saved. I can't speak to the one on the left, but it looks like it is struggling, too. Be sure the soaker hose is watering to the bottoms of the root systems. I would much rather see you watering new shrubs by hand with a water breaker or water bubbler so that you can saturate their soil balls. Then wait until they begin to dry out again (probably a couple of days) before you water again.
Dear Neil: We have a pasture with beautiful bluebonnets and other spring wildflowers. Unfortunately, it also has grassburs. Is there a product we can use to eliminate the grassburs without hurting the wildflowers?
A: That's a tough question, and the timing is going to be close. Wildflowers germinate in September. You have to apply your pre-emergent weedkiller to prevent germination of the grassburs in early March with a booster shot in early June. Whether that June treatment would be dissipated by early September is the challenge. Try a small area one year to see what happens. Talk to a farm supply dealer or Extension agronomist who works with pastures.
Dear Neil: I am overrun with armadillos, skunks and now moles tearing up my yard. What insecticide can I use to get rid of whatever is attracting them?
A: I have used humane traps very successfully to catch armadillos. I make a wide "funnel" out of chicken wire and extending both directions out from the trap. We place it in the path where we know the armadillos head toward their tunnel. We've captured more than 70 over the years. Moles are attracted to earthworms as well as insects, and I'd prefer not to go on record as recommending controls for earthworms (they're beneficial). Use the traps for the moles. A hardware store or farm supply store can demonstrate how to install them. As for the skunks, I'm going to leave that up to you working with an exterminator or wildlife management specialist. Skunks are efficient carriers of rabies, plus they have one other bad habit. But I don't think applying insecticide to your entire landscape is going to offer much long-term help.
Dear Neil: I have two goji berry plants. Sometimes they look good, and sometimes they look bad. They do not bear fruit. What information can you provide me?
A: I won't try to bluff you. I have never grown goji berry plants, nor have I known anyone who has. I find extremely limited information on them online, and it all seems to apply to northern U.S. and Canadian regions. I would categorize them as extremely speculative. Here is a link from Penn State, one of America's most respected agricultural schools: extension.psu.edu/plants/tree-fruit/news/2014/goji-berry-culture.
If you'd like Neil Sperry's help with a plant question, drop him a note in care of The Eagle, P.O. Box 3000, Bryan, Texas 77805. Or email him at email@example.com.
- Pest control services | Western Exterminator - April 26th, 2020
- 2020 Cost to Hire an Exterminator | Pest Control Cost - April 26th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels in the Attic - Pest Control ... - March 20th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels in Attic | Terminix - November 9th, 2019
- Billy the Exterminator: Feisty Squirrel | A&E - November 9th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels: Tips for Control | Terminix - October 29th, 2019
- Priority Pest Services - Pest Control Hampton Roads - October 6th, 2019
- Squirrel Removal Services | Ehrlich Pest Control - October 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Ground Squirrels: Humane and Risky Options - September 25th, 2019
- Squirrel Pest Control Services | Western Exterminator - September 24th, 2019
- Billy the Exterminator: Squirrels in the Attic (Season 2, Episode 13) | Full Episode | A&E - September 10th, 2019
- Wilmington DE: Pest Control & Exterminator Service Near You - April 23rd, 2019
- Squirrel Trapping - Get Rid Of Squirrels | Squirrel Removal - April 19th, 2019
- Attack Wave Squirrel Repeller - pestcontroldeluxe.com - April 14th, 2019
- Squirrels: Facts, Identification & Control | Terminix - March 21st, 2019
- Pearland, TX Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - March 11th, 2019
- Does Orkin Offer Solutions for Squirrel Problems? - ATOM - March 7th, 2019
- Connecticut Squirrel Exterminator | Squirrel Removal CT ... - February 20th, 2019
- Delaware Squirrel Removal - delaware-exterminator.com - February 18th, 2019
- Camelback Crickets - asktheexterminator.com - January 29th, 2019
- Squirrel Control - How To Get Rid Of Squirrels | DoMyOwn.com - December 22nd, 2018
- How To Control Squirrels | Solutions Pest & Lawn - September 19th, 2018
- Chesterfield MI Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - July 16th, 2018
- Integrity Pest Control - -Termite -Rodent -Wildlife - July 6th, 2018
- Canton Termite And Pest Control (The Exterminator) - June 25th, 2018
- Urban Wildlife Control Atlanta GA - Atlanta Animal Control ... - June 19th, 2018
- Pest Control Long Island | Exterminator Long Island | Bug ... - June 16th, 2018
- Squirrel Infestations: Signs & Treatment - Orkin.com - May 24th, 2018
- Can Squirrels Cause Roof Damage? | Knockout Roofing - March 23rd, 2018
- Squirrel Pest Control & Removal - Get Rid of Squirrels - March 22nd, 2018
- Gopher Control, Gopher Removal, Exterminator - Gopher and ... - February 14th, 2018
- Squirrel Exterminator Syracuse, NY | Squirrel Pest Control ... - December 27th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Squirrels - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - December 19th, 2017
- Flying Squirrel | World's Weirdest - YouTube - December 8th, 2017
- Kingston, NY Exterminator | Insect & Rodent Pest Control - November 20th, 2017
- Katydid - Ask The Exterminator - November 20th, 2017
- Miller Pest Control: Pest Control & Exterminator Services - November 11th, 2017
- Looney Tunes-inspired mayhem gets tiresome fast - The Straits Times - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Company in NJ | Termite Control | Balance of ... - September 3rd, 2017
- No signs of rat infestation in Westerly | The Westerly Sun - The Westerly Sun - September 2nd, 2017
- In contrast to Stonington, Westerly hasn't had too many problems with rats - The Westerly Sun - September 1st, 2017
- 'The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature': You know what I'm saying? - Flayrah - August 28th, 2017
- White spots on crape myrtle could be scale - San Antonio Express-News (subscription) - August 25th, 2017
- Movie review: Sequel squirrels away radical themes - Bloomington Pantagraph - August 18th, 2017
- How to Get Squirrels Out of Your Attic | Terminix - August 16th, 2017
- The Nut Job 2 marks a slight improvement on its way ... - The AV Club - A.V. Club - August 12th, 2017
- What's hot this week in theaters: The Nut Job 2 - Madison.com - August 12th, 2017
- Life at The Par 3 motel: 'It's no mansion' - Richmond.com - August 5th, 2017
- Police Report: Garth Road Woman Bitten by Dog; Speeding Driver Arrested on Post Road - Scarsdale10583.com - August 2nd, 2017
- Ammi Midstokke: Beauty of nature indisputable sometimes - The Spokesman-Review - July 31st, 2017
- Tips to keep rabies-carrying wildlife away from your home - WFXL FOX 31 - July 12th, 2017
- Grey squirrel exterminator branded 'racist' by wildlife activists - Telegraph.co.uk - July 8th, 2017
- RH Line calls printed June 3, 2017 - Loveland Reporter-Herald - Loveland Reporter-Herald - June 3rd, 2017
- Deer control needed - Pentiction Western News - June 3rd, 2017
- Voles ripping up yards across Winnipeg - MetroNews Canada - April 25th, 2017
- Spiders - Ask The Exterminator - April 21st, 2017
- Pest Control Wildlife Control Macon Georgia - Exterminator - April 20th, 2017
- What to watch on TV this weekend - Radio Times - April 10th, 2017
- So, just what did the Victorians ever do for us? Helen Arney investigates - Express.co.uk - April 2nd, 2017
- Will Mothballs Keep Squirrels Away? - pestkilled.com - March 11th, 2017
- Squirrels in the Attic - Charlotte Squirrel Removal - March 3rd, 2017
- In brief - Gillette News Record - February 19th, 2017
- Baits for Squirrels | Squirrel Baits | Havahart - January 25th, 2017
- Fogger - Ask The Exterminator - December 18th, 2016
- Toronto, ON Pest Control & Exterminator Services - December 14th, 2016
- Long Island Pest Control, Queens Exterminator - Top Quality - November 20th, 2016
- Exterminator Queens Village | Home | (347)-269-2307 - October 15th, 2016
- Termite Resistant Wood - Ask The Exterminator - October 15th, 2016
- Hawkeye Exterminators - Pest Control Des Moines , Iowa - September 22nd, 2016
- Palmetto Bugs - Ask The Exterminator - September 17th, 2016
- Squirrel Control: Trapping & Removal Service - August 31st, 2016
- Squirrel Damage | How To Stop Squirrels - November 2nd, 2015
- Quality Pest Control, Exterminator Services & Animal Removal - November 2nd, 2015
- Squirrel Control: Trapping & Removal - October 29th, 2015
- How to get rid of squirrels | ULTIMATE Repellent for ... - October 14th, 2015
- How to get rid of squirrels/chipmunks in attic ... - September 25th, 2015
- Ground Squirrel Control | RAM Pest Control - September 24th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal and Control - September 24th, 2015
- Squirrel Removal - Squirrel Control Solutions the Greater ... - September 9th, 2015
- Squirrel Control Products | Repel, Deter, Stop & Get Rid ... - September 8th, 2015