Grass spiders. Maybe youve heard of them. Maybe youve misidentified them as wolf spiders or hobo spiders. Either way, living in the Western United States, youve probably seen one. As their name suggests, they tend to hang out in the grass. However, they sometimes find their way into homes and businesses. The grass spider is a shy creature, so if you happen to spot one, dont expect it to stay around for long. Read on to discover all you should know about this elusive arachnid.
If you have too many spiders around your home, you might have an infestation. There may also be underlying problems with other pest insects that spiders are feeding on. Either way, a Western Exterminator pest control specialist can inspect your property and help get rid of spiders and prevent their return inside your home. Contact your local Western Exterminator office today.
Female grass spiders range in length from 10-20 millimeters, and males are somewhat smaller at 9-18 millimeters. The carapace, or hard upper shell, is a yellowish-brown color with two stripes running longitudinally. The abdomen is usually darker in color. Grass spiders are often confused with their similar-looking cousins the domestic house spider and the hobo spider. All three species are frequently found in West Coast homes, when they retreat from the outdoor elements.
The grass spider life cycle is only about one year long, with mating rituals bringing about eventual demise for both parties. The male grass spider dies shortly after mating. In the late summer or fall, female grass spiders deposit a white sac that then overwinters. The female grass spider then dies shortly after laying the egg sac. After the eggs hatch in spring, the spiders go through a series of molts, reaching adulthood in late summer.
Grass spiders are one of the approximately 1,200 identified species within the Agelenidae family. Members of this family of spider are known for their funnel-weaving capabilities. Grass spiders and other funnel weavers construct funnel-shaped webs near to the ground in which to trap their prey. These webs are not sticky, but the way they are built makes it inherently difficult for the prey to escape. Once the prey is trapped, the grass spider can quickly crawl over and inject it with venom. The horizontal, sheet-like nature of the web also makes it a great hiding place for the spiders themselves.
In addition to hobo spiders and domestic house spiders, grass spiders can also be confused with wolf spiders, but the web is a great way to tell them apart. Wolf spiders do not spin webs, but rather live within burrows. Therefore, if you see the spider spinning a funnel web or hanging out in close proximity to one, it is likely a grass spider and not a wolf spider.
Technically, grass spiders are not poisonous, but are venomous. They contain venom, as all spiders do, that they use to subdue their prey. Due to the small size of grass spider fangs, they have difficulty penetrating human skin. Consequently, those with thin skin (i.e. babies and the elderly) are at greater risk of a grass spider bite.
As mentioned previously, grass spiders are shy and dont actively go out seeking humans. They may bite as a defense mechanism if they feel threatened. In the event that a grass spider does bite and is successful in penetrating the skin, the venom can cause necrotic skin lesions and bacterial infections. To be safe, it is best to let Westerns pest specialists worry about handling them and removing them from your property.
Though grass spiders arent a huge threat to humans, chances are, you dont want them all over your property. Their webs can make a yard appear unkempt and neglected. Through landscaping and sanitation, the following are ways to discourage growing populations of these 8-legged pests.
A dirty environment does not necessarily attract grass spiders themselves, but it does attract other insectsgrass spider prey. Food crumbs and sticky residue left behind by sugary drinks are just the snacks ants, flies, and other small insects go looking for. Grass spiders are hungry too, and theyll come after those very insects. A well-kept yard and outdoor environment will keep web construction at a minimum, discouraging grass spiders from staying on your property.
The most effective way to control grass spider populations is to call in the spider experts at Western Exterminator. Our spider removal services will have you back to living web-free in no time. Contact us today for a free property inspection.
- How to Beat the Albino Wyyyschokk in Jedi Fallen Order - Heavy.com - November 17th, 2019
- Freaky Spiders That Would Shock Even A Bug Exterminator - November 4th, 2019
- Spider Extermination In NJ & NY - Horizon Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spiders Common To New Jersey - ChemTec Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator | Spider Removal | Environmentaly Safe ... - September 12th, 2019
- Signs of a Spider Infestation | Western Exterminator - September 12th, 2019
- Common Types of California Spiders | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- 2019 Average Exterminator Cost - Thumbtack - September 10th, 2019
- Spiders - Ehrlich Pest Control | Your Local Pest Control ... - September 10th, 2019
- Spider control | Western Exterminator - September 8th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator, Pest Spider Control - May 24th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control of Garden Grove - March 17th, 2019
- Terminix Termite & Pest Control Orlando Exterminators ... - February 10th, 2019
- Affordable Pest Control in New Jersey - February 7th, 2019
- Get Pest Control in Los Angeles | Greenleaf Pest - February 4th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - January 15th, 2019
- How Much Do Spider Exterminators Cost? (A Simply Guide ... - November 19th, 2018
- Exterminator Spiders - November 4th, 2018
- Spiders - How To Kill and Get Rid of Spiders - October 11th, 2018
- Westminster Spider Control - Westminster Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Victoria Spider Control - Victoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Burbank Spider Control - Burbank Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Elizabeth Spider Control - Elizabeth Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Allen Spider Control - Allen Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Bellevue Spider Control - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Mansfield Spider Control - Mansfield Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Secaucus NJ Pest Control | Exterminators In Secaucus - March 18th, 2018
- How Much Does Orkin Spider Control Cost? ATOM - March 12th, 2018
- Spiders | Pest Control Exterminate - March 12th, 2018
- What Can You Spray in Your Yard to Get Rid of Spiders ... - March 8th, 2018
- Wolf Spider Control, Pest Control - February 14th, 2018
- Pest Control | Exterminator | Salt Lake City ... - Bug Busters - February 11th, 2018
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders ... - pestworld.org - January 31st, 2018
- Spider Killer - Insecticide Spray, Repellent Traps, Poison ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders in the House ... - October 15th, 2017
- Sprout's Pest Control uses essential oils - not pesticides - to battle bugs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - September 6th, 2017
- Welcome to Eagle Exterminating Co, providing exterminator ... - September 2nd, 2017
- Berwick Pest, Ant, Spider & Termite Control | Safe & Reliable - August 28th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC Connecticut - August 11th, 2017
- Terrifying 'half-spider, half-SCORPION' creature that eats BIRDS filmed inside family home - Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- LOOK: Freaky spider-scorpion found in man's house - MyPalmBeachPost - August 6th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC4 Washington - August 5th, 2017
- Terrifying creature from hell with huge pincers like a SCORPION is found in family home but what on earth is it? - The Sun - August 5th, 2017
- Man finds bizarre bug that appears to be part spider, part scorpion - WSB Atlanta - August 5th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona ... - ABC15 Arizona - August 2nd, 2017
- How do you get rid of those darn ants? Statesman readers share their tips - Idaho Statesman - August 1st, 2017
- Philadelphia train station has a spider infestation - KNSS - July 31st, 2017
- How to get rid of Arizona scorpions, spiders and Africanized bees - KTAR.com - June 24th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider, here's what they want other parents to know - SCNow - June 22nd, 2017
- Spiders are just like cats: they too like chasing laser pointers - ZME Science - June 19th, 2017
- How to avoid poisonous spiders in your home - wwlp.com - June 16th, 2017
- 5-year-old bitten by a black widow spider is recovering - The Boston Globe - June 16th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider. Here's what they want other parents to know. - Washington Post - June 13th, 2017
- Brown recluse spiders come out of hiding in summer - WWSB ABC 7 - June 12th, 2017
- Tiny Jumping Spiders Can See the Moon - The Atlantic - June 6th, 2017
- Pest-X Pest Control & Exterminator | Winston-Salem ... - May 20th, 2017
- Mark Schofield's Check with Me April, 21 2017: Ranking the Top QBs in the 2017 NFL Draft - Inside the Pylon - April 21st, 2017
- Those creepy crawlies really bug me but will always be there - Ponoka News - March 23rd, 2017
- Get Rid Of Spiders | Kill Spiders - March 5th, 2017
- Columbus Exterminator - Pest Control of Columbus | (614 ... - January 20th, 2017
- Advanced Exterminator - SPIDERS, spider control, spider ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spiders and Crawling Insects - Smithtown Pest Control and ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spider Control - Do My Own Pest Control - September 16th, 2016
- Spider | Exterminator | Pest Control | Integrated Pest ... - October 29th, 2015
- Tiger Termite: Local Pest Control and Exterminator - October 29th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Spiders - Pest Control | Pest Exterminator - October 25th, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Spiders In Your Home Housewife How-To's - October 17th, 2015
- Crab Spiders - Ask The Exterminator - October 12th, 2015
- Daddy Long Legs - Ask The Exterminator - October 4th, 2015
- Organic Spider Control For Homeowners - Kill Spiders Naturally - October 4th, 2015
- DIY: 9 Natural Ways To Keep Spiders Out Of Your Home To ... - September 25th, 2015
- Bellevue Spider Control | Bellevue, WA | Sunrise Pest ... - September 8th, 2015
- Control Spiders in the Home - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control ... - September 3rd, 2015
- Spider Control Service and DIY | Corky's Pest Control - August 17th, 2015
- Get Rid of Black Widow Spiders: Black Widow Spider Control - August 7th, 2015
- Spider Control Products, Control Spiders - August 3rd, 2015
- Spider Control in San Diego, Riverside and Orange County ... - July 31st, 2015
- Learn About Spiders | Spider Identification | Hulett Pest ... - July 24th, 2015
- Spider Control Kit - DoMyOwnPestControl.com - July 15th, 2015
- Buy Spider Control Product at Economic Price - Pestmall - July 9th, 2015