Spotting a spider in your home is a less-than-ideal situation. After all, theyre creepy and crawly, and a spider sighting can spark fears that there are more where that one came from.
Just know this: Its actually not a bad thing to have a stray spider around. Most spiders arent harmful, says entomologist Roberto M. Pereira, Ph.D., an insect research scientist with the University of Florida. Not only will they usually leave you alone, spiders can also help get rid of other pesky insects in your house, he says.
There are several species of spiders that can invade your home, including the American house spider, daddy longlegs, orb weaver spiders, and grass spiders. Again, while most arent interested in interacting with (read: biting) you, there are the few that can be problematiclike the black widow or brown recluse.
If a spider (or spiders, if youre really unlucky) has taken up residence at your place, its only natural to want it gone. Heres how to get rid of spiders in your homeand how to prevent them from coming back.
It depends on the type of spider youre dealing with, says Ben Hottel, Ph.D., Technical Services Manager at Orkin. Spiders that make webs are commonly found in undisturbed areas such as attics, garages, furnace rooms, window sills, storage closets, or eaves on the outside of homes, he says. Spiders that dont build webs and actively huntsuch as brown recluse spiderscan be found in wall voids, cardboard boxes, and unused furniture.
Spiders prefer warm, dark spaces, adds board-certified entomologist Nancy Troyano, Ph.D., Director of Operations Education and Training for Ehrlich Pest Control. And, since the spiders that tend to lurk around your home mostly feed on small insects, you can also find them hanging out in gardens or rock piles, she says.
You could squash a spider and call it a day, but experts say there are other methods that can help eliminate them if that doesnt sound like fun to you.
Yup, you can just suck up spiders, Troyano says. This hack also gets rid of their webs and egg sacs, she points out, so be sure to vacuum around corners regularly.
If you know theres a spider lurking about, but couldnt kill it upon sight, try setting up a simple traplike this one from Terro. Its non-toxic and uses glue to immobilize the spider (or any bug) and prevent it from escaping.
That means consistently removing webs and cleaning out your attic, garage, closets, and other dark spaces.
Some spiders like to hide in objects (think: cardboard boxes, old baseball gloves, etc.). The more hiding spots these spiders have, the more difficult it will be to get rid of them, Hottel says, so try doing a mini purge each season to keep clutter at bay.
In a perfect world, youd get rid of spiders and never, ever have to deal with them again. In reality, more can find their way inside. Thats where prevention methods come into play:
A loose screen, or one that has a hole in it, can be a possible way for a spider (or any insect, really) to enter your home, Hottel points out. You can also place screens over vents and crawl spaces.
Its the same deal as loose screensyou want to eliminate any possible entryways for spiders, Hottel says. Seal up any tiny crevices or openings around utility boxes, windows, or vents using caulk or foam sealant. You can also get a door sweep or stoppers for entrances that lead outside.
Excessive moisture attracts many insects, which in turn will attract spiders, Troyano says. Stay on top of any leaks that may crop up and consider adding a dehumidifier to your basement, she says.
Spiders are drawn to hiding spaces outside of your home, too. Be sure to trim the grass near the foundation, keep firewood further away, and rake away piles of leaves.
The presence of insects and other prey in homes is a common reason for spiders to come inside, Hottel says. (Check out our full guides on how to get rid of ants, stink bugs, cockroaches, fruit flies, ticks, and bed bugs.)
If youve tried these tricks and youre still seeing spiders in your home, Dr. Hottel says its time to call in a professional exterminator. Thats definitely true if you happen to spot brown recluse spiders in your house (theyre hairy and tend to be gray, black, or brown). These spiders can be very difficult to eliminate on your own, Dr. Hottel says.
And, of course, theres your mental health to consider if youre afraid of spiders. You might seek out a professional for your own peace of mind, Troyano says. The thought of living with spiders can be unnerving to most people.
Support from readers like you helps us do our best work. Go here to subscribe to Prevention and get 12 FREE gifts. And sign up for our FREE newsletter here for daily health, nutrition, and fitness advice.
- Kill It With Fire brings its spider-slaying action to PC in August - Critical Hit - July 14th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire Receives A Launch Date From TinyBuild - Bleeding Cool News - July 13th, 2020
- Brown recluse spiders, a blown-out back and the grace of God - messenger-inquirer - July 4th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire Full Version Free Download Game - OnFront Media - June 24th, 2020
- First-Person Action Kill It With Fire Is All About Hunting Spiders - Softpedia News - May 9th, 2020
- Never-Used Wapato Jail Has Found Its 1st Tenant - OPB News - May 9th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Spiders Naturally and KEEP them Away for ... - March 10th, 2020
- Consider the benefits of roaches - NWAOnline - March 9th, 2020
- Guide to Getting Rid of Spiders Around Your Home - HomeAdvisor - February 25th, 2020
- 12 Horror Movies From The '90s That Terrorized Our Childhoods - CinemaBlend - January 7th, 2020
- My realistic New Year 2020 resolutions. Some involve donuts. - Orange County Registry - Daily Gaming Worlld - December 26th, 2019
- How to Beat the Albino Wyyyschokk in Jedi Fallen Order - Heavy.com - November 17th, 2019
- Freaky Spiders That Would Shock Even A Bug Exterminator - November 4th, 2019
- What you never knew about grass spiders | Western Exterminator - October 6th, 2019
- Spider Extermination In NJ & NY - Horizon Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spiders Common To New Jersey - ChemTec Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator | Spider Removal | Environmentaly Safe ... - September 12th, 2019
- Signs of a Spider Infestation | Western Exterminator - September 12th, 2019
- Common Types of California Spiders | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- 2019 Average Exterminator Cost - Thumbtack - September 10th, 2019
- Spiders - Ehrlich Pest Control | Your Local Pest Control ... - September 10th, 2019
- Spider control | Western Exterminator - September 8th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator, Pest Spider Control - May 24th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control of Garden Grove - March 17th, 2019
- Terminix Termite & Pest Control Orlando Exterminators ... - February 10th, 2019
- Affordable Pest Control in New Jersey - February 7th, 2019
- Get Pest Control in Los Angeles | Greenleaf Pest - February 4th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - January 15th, 2019
- How Much Do Spider Exterminators Cost? (A Simply Guide ... - November 19th, 2018
- Exterminator Spiders - November 4th, 2018
- Spiders - How To Kill and Get Rid of Spiders - October 11th, 2018
- Westminster Spider Control - Westminster Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Victoria Spider Control - Victoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Burbank Spider Control - Burbank Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Elizabeth Spider Control - Elizabeth Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Allen Spider Control - Allen Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Bellevue Spider Control - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Mansfield Spider Control - Mansfield Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Secaucus NJ Pest Control | Exterminators In Secaucus - March 18th, 2018
- How Much Does Orkin Spider Control Cost? ATOM - March 12th, 2018
- Spiders | Pest Control Exterminate - March 12th, 2018
- What Can You Spray in Your Yard to Get Rid of Spiders ... - March 8th, 2018
- Wolf Spider Control, Pest Control - February 14th, 2018
- Pest Control | Exterminator | Salt Lake City ... - Bug Busters - February 11th, 2018
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders ... - pestworld.org - January 31st, 2018
- Spider Killer - Insecticide Spray, Repellent Traps, Poison ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders in the House ... - October 15th, 2017
- Sprout's Pest Control uses essential oils - not pesticides - to battle bugs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - September 6th, 2017
- Welcome to Eagle Exterminating Co, providing exterminator ... - September 2nd, 2017
- Berwick Pest, Ant, Spider & Termite Control | Safe & Reliable - August 28th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC Connecticut - August 11th, 2017
- Terrifying 'half-spider, half-SCORPION' creature that eats BIRDS filmed inside family home - Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- LOOK: Freaky spider-scorpion found in man's house - MyPalmBeachPost - August 6th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC4 Washington - August 5th, 2017
- Terrifying creature from hell with huge pincers like a SCORPION is found in family home but what on earth is it? - The Sun - August 5th, 2017
- Man finds bizarre bug that appears to be part spider, part scorpion - WSB Atlanta - August 5th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona ... - ABC15 Arizona - August 2nd, 2017
- How do you get rid of those darn ants? Statesman readers share their tips - Idaho Statesman - August 1st, 2017
- Philadelphia train station has a spider infestation - KNSS - July 31st, 2017
- How to get rid of Arizona scorpions, spiders and Africanized bees - KTAR.com - June 24th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider, here's what they want other parents to know - SCNow - June 22nd, 2017
- Spiders are just like cats: they too like chasing laser pointers - ZME Science - June 19th, 2017
- How to avoid poisonous spiders in your home - wwlp.com - June 16th, 2017
- 5-year-old bitten by a black widow spider is recovering - The Boston Globe - June 16th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider. Here's what they want other parents to know. - Washington Post - June 13th, 2017
- Brown recluse spiders come out of hiding in summer - WWSB ABC 7 - June 12th, 2017
- Tiny Jumping Spiders Can See the Moon - The Atlantic - June 6th, 2017
- Pest-X Pest Control & Exterminator | Winston-Salem ... - May 20th, 2017
- Mark Schofield's Check with Me April, 21 2017: Ranking the Top QBs in the 2017 NFL Draft - Inside the Pylon - April 21st, 2017
- Those creepy crawlies really bug me but will always be there - Ponoka News - March 23rd, 2017
- Get Rid Of Spiders | Kill Spiders - March 5th, 2017
- Columbus Exterminator - Pest Control of Columbus | (614 ... - January 20th, 2017
- Advanced Exterminator - SPIDERS, spider control, spider ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spiders and Crawling Insects - Smithtown Pest Control and ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spider Control - Do My Own Pest Control - September 16th, 2016
- Spider | Exterminator | Pest Control | Integrated Pest ... - October 29th, 2015
- Tiger Termite: Local Pest Control and Exterminator - October 29th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Spiders - Pest Control | Pest Exterminator - October 25th, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Spiders In Your Home Housewife How-To's - October 17th, 2015
- Crab Spiders - Ask The Exterminator - October 12th, 2015