In Arizona, three types of summer bugstend to be especially frightening: Africanized bees, poisonous spiders and scorpions.
Many encounters with these bugs occur during the summer months. There are things you can do to prevent these insects from visiting your yard or house, but sometimes you need to get special help from a trusted pest control company.
If you or your children are bitten by any of these bugs, be sure to seek medical attention very quickly.
Scorpions arent really insects, but are related to them. They have pincers and a curved tail.
They like to live in messes in your backyard, such asstacks of clay pots and saucers or piles of rocks or bricks. They can also infest dry foliage in trees or piles on the ground.
Sometimes, theyre on the underside of the stucco lip at the bottom of your exterior walls.
They also like living in cardboard boxes in your garage.
Scorpions eat spiders and crickets so getting rid of those bugs is important.
You can use an ultraviolet light to make scorpions glow in the dark at night when they are most activeso you can spot them and destroy them.
Spiders with the worst bites are black widows and brown recluses.
Black widows are very black and can have a red hourglass shape on their backs. They generally dont come into houses, but can be found in garages and closets.
The brown recluse spiders are light tan to dark brown and have a violin-shaped mark on their backs. Just like scorpions, brown recluseslike living in piles of rocks, leaves or in cluttered garages and attics.
Spiders often build webs around your windows as well.
If you see spiders around your house, spray them and kill them. Use pesticide not only on the spiders themselves, but also on their webs and egg sacs.
In Arizona, theres been an increase in aggressive bee incidents in the past few years since domestic bees began mating with the more aggressive Africanized honey bees.
These hybrid bees build hives in attics, under the eaves of houses, in mulberry and cottonwood trees and even in water meter boxes. Some of the bees may be honey bees, but some are not.
If a hive is built on your property, particularly on your house, you absolutely should call professionals to remove it to avoid all chance of an attack on humans or animals. Generally, the bees wont bother anyone if you leave them alone, but vibration from lawn mowers, weed-eaters, or chainsaws can set them off.
You want an exterminator that will remove the hive completely as well as killing the bees. If a hive is left behind a wall, honey and wax can drip into a house.
Some bee experts, such as Nisbet Family Farms in Phoenix, will remove the hives without killing the bees and relocate them.
If you clean out all those attractive jumbles of junk in your yard and garage, you can go a long way to keeping spiders and scorpions at bay.
You should alsoinstall weather stripping around loose-fitting doors and windows, caulk around pipes and cracks on the exterior of your home and cut back branches and heavy foliage that are near the sides of your house.
Keep the bottom of outdoor furniture and the barbecue grill clean as well.
Dont stick your hands into holes or boxes around the house or garage without looking inside first.
Inside the house, vacuum closets thoroughly and regularly. Do the same clean-up job under tables, desks, beds and sofas.
Store gardening clothes and sports equipmentsuch as roller skates and ski boots in plastic bags that are tightly sealed with no holes.
For more homeowner advice, DIY tips and videos, and information about all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizonas largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at RosieontheHouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizonas very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com Arizonas most-trusted referral network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
Continue reading here:
How to get rid of Arizona scorpions, spiders and Africanized bees - KTAR.com
- Kill It With Fire brings its spider-slaying action to PC in August - Critical Hit - July 14th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire Receives A Launch Date From TinyBuild - Bleeding Cool News - July 13th, 2020
- Brown recluse spiders, a blown-out back and the grace of God - messenger-inquirer - July 4th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire Full Version Free Download Game - OnFront Media - June 24th, 2020
- First-Person Action Kill It With Fire Is All About Hunting Spiders - Softpedia News - May 9th, 2020
- Never-Used Wapato Jail Has Found Its 1st Tenant - OPB News - May 9th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Spiders in Your House, According to Bug Experts - Prevention.com - May 1st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Spiders Naturally and KEEP them Away for ... - March 10th, 2020
- Consider the benefits of roaches - NWAOnline - March 9th, 2020
- Guide to Getting Rid of Spiders Around Your Home - HomeAdvisor - February 25th, 2020
- 12 Horror Movies From The '90s That Terrorized Our Childhoods - CinemaBlend - January 7th, 2020
- My realistic New Year 2020 resolutions. Some involve donuts. - Orange County Registry - Daily Gaming Worlld - December 26th, 2019
- How to Beat the Albino Wyyyschokk in Jedi Fallen Order - Heavy.com - November 17th, 2019
- Freaky Spiders That Would Shock Even A Bug Exterminator - November 4th, 2019
- What you never knew about grass spiders | Western Exterminator - October 6th, 2019
- Spider Extermination In NJ & NY - Horizon Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spiders Common To New Jersey - ChemTec Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator | Spider Removal | Environmentaly Safe ... - September 12th, 2019
- Signs of a Spider Infestation | Western Exterminator - September 12th, 2019
- Common Types of California Spiders | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- 2019 Average Exterminator Cost - Thumbtack - September 10th, 2019
- Spiders - Ehrlich Pest Control | Your Local Pest Control ... - September 10th, 2019
- Spider control | Western Exterminator - September 8th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator, Pest Spider Control - May 24th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control of Garden Grove - March 17th, 2019
- Terminix Termite & Pest Control Orlando Exterminators ... - February 10th, 2019
- Affordable Pest Control in New Jersey - February 7th, 2019
- Get Pest Control in Los Angeles | Greenleaf Pest - February 4th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - January 15th, 2019
- How Much Do Spider Exterminators Cost? (A Simply Guide ... - November 19th, 2018
- Exterminator Spiders - November 4th, 2018
- Spiders - How To Kill and Get Rid of Spiders - October 11th, 2018
- Westminster Spider Control - Westminster Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Victoria Spider Control - Victoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Burbank Spider Control - Burbank Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Elizabeth Spider Control - Elizabeth Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Allen Spider Control - Allen Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Bellevue Spider Control - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Mansfield Spider Control - Mansfield Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Secaucus NJ Pest Control | Exterminators In Secaucus - March 18th, 2018
- How Much Does Orkin Spider Control Cost? ATOM - March 12th, 2018
- Spiders | Pest Control Exterminate - March 12th, 2018
- What Can You Spray in Your Yard to Get Rid of Spiders ... - March 8th, 2018
- Wolf Spider Control, Pest Control - February 14th, 2018
- Pest Control | Exterminator | Salt Lake City ... - Bug Busters - February 11th, 2018
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders ... - pestworld.org - January 31st, 2018
- Spider Killer - Insecticide Spray, Repellent Traps, Poison ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders in the House ... - October 15th, 2017
- Sprout's Pest Control uses essential oils - not pesticides - to battle bugs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - September 6th, 2017
- Welcome to Eagle Exterminating Co, providing exterminator ... - September 2nd, 2017
- Berwick Pest, Ant, Spider & Termite Control | Safe & Reliable - August 28th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC Connecticut - August 11th, 2017
- Terrifying 'half-spider, half-SCORPION' creature that eats BIRDS filmed inside family home - Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- LOOK: Freaky spider-scorpion found in man's house - MyPalmBeachPost - August 6th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC4 Washington - August 5th, 2017
- Terrifying creature from hell with huge pincers like a SCORPION is found in family home but what on earth is it? - The Sun - August 5th, 2017
- Man finds bizarre bug that appears to be part spider, part scorpion - WSB Atlanta - August 5th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona ... - ABC15 Arizona - August 2nd, 2017
- How do you get rid of those darn ants? Statesman readers share their tips - Idaho Statesman - August 1st, 2017
- Philadelphia train station has a spider infestation - KNSS - July 31st, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider, here's what they want other parents to know - SCNow - June 22nd, 2017
- Spiders are just like cats: they too like chasing laser pointers - ZME Science - June 19th, 2017
- How to avoid poisonous spiders in your home - wwlp.com - June 16th, 2017
- 5-year-old bitten by a black widow spider is recovering - The Boston Globe - June 16th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider. Here's what they want other parents to know. - Washington Post - June 13th, 2017
- Brown recluse spiders come out of hiding in summer - WWSB ABC 7 - June 12th, 2017
- Tiny Jumping Spiders Can See the Moon - The Atlantic - June 6th, 2017
- Pest-X Pest Control & Exterminator | Winston-Salem ... - May 20th, 2017
- Mark Schofield's Check with Me April, 21 2017: Ranking the Top QBs in the 2017 NFL Draft - Inside the Pylon - April 21st, 2017
- Those creepy crawlies really bug me but will always be there - Ponoka News - March 23rd, 2017
- Get Rid Of Spiders | Kill Spiders - March 5th, 2017
- Columbus Exterminator - Pest Control of Columbus | (614 ... - January 20th, 2017
- Advanced Exterminator - SPIDERS, spider control, spider ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spiders and Crawling Insects - Smithtown Pest Control and ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spider Control - Do My Own Pest Control - September 16th, 2016
- Spider | Exterminator | Pest Control | Integrated Pest ... - October 29th, 2015
- Tiger Termite: Local Pest Control and Exterminator - October 29th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Spiders - Pest Control | Pest Exterminator - October 25th, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Spiders In Your Home Housewife How-To's - October 17th, 2015
- Crab Spiders - Ask The Exterminator - October 12th, 2015