I received a big reaction from what some are calling the Roach Column, all of it from guys.
There were a couple of fellows who had used roaches for fish bait, but most were like the reader who said, "Maybe you can catch fish with them, but I'm not about to use 'em."
Vertis said "Yuck!" after reading it, adding, "I wouldn't eat a fish that ate a roach."
However, deep fat-frying sanitized those roach-eating fish, so when we were kids, we ate every one of them.
I have read there are cultures in China and other countries who deep fat-fry roaches, and gobble them like popcorn. The Chinese buy theirs from roach farmers, who raise them by the millions, and they are used in several Chinese cities to eliminate garbage.
After I read that, I realized El Dorado's old garbage dump, which was alive with roaches, was environmentally sound, since the roaches gobbled up tons of waste food and extended the life of the dump.
There are an estimated 100 roach farms in China, turning out six billion roaches a year to be eaten, used in the manufacture of cosmetics, and medicine. Roach farming in China is growing because of the benefits they bring.
Still, it might make for a good horror movie. The escape of several billion roaches would be like a brown wave rolling over the countryside. But the Chinese think of everything; one farm has a moat around it filled with fish, and escaping roaches are gobbled up. The fish get larger, and the Chinese harvest them along with the roaches.
The Chinese also produce a roach extract for growing hair and to treat intestinal disease. "The greatest effect of roaches are that they have great immunity, which is why humans will absorb benefits after eating them," said a roach farmer, noting that in China roaches are dubbed Little Strong because they can live for days even after being cut in half.
The Chinese are doing research using roach extract to see if it can cure cancer and other diseases, since roaches have such strong immune systems. Wouldn't it be a hoot if a disliked little insect leads the way in curing cancer? Maybe looking ahead, considering all the new diet plans, there may come a time when your doctor prescribes a diet heavy with roaches.
Another Chinese farmer estimates his farm sells several million roaches a year, some to a cafe down the road that has them on the menu. According to some western observers they are pretty tasty--as you bite down there is a crunch like you are eating celery, then a sweet taste, which probably takes some getting used to. I would imagine that it wouldn't be that hard, if you understood Chinese, to find a recipe for roaches in dipping sauce.
The Chinese say roaches are a good source of protein, and with the earth's population continuing to grow, we are probably going to need every source of protein we can come up with.
Who knows, maybe eating roaches is something like eating crawfish. I can remember catching crawfish for fish bait, but the idea of boiling one, peeling the tail, dipping it in sauce, and eating it never crossed my mind.
One of our neighbors, who spends way too much time in Louisiana, loves to suck crawfish heads. How far is that from eating roaches? Or snails? I know you don't eat raw snails, but you do eat raw oysters. The first man to eat a raw oyster had to be really hungry.
Maybe roaches are getting a bad rap. Take crickets. They are bugs just like roaches. Maybe if Walt Disney had created Jiminy Roach instead of Jiminy Cricket, we would have a different opinion. As animated roaches march across a kitchen cabinet dressed in little pink suits with top hats, standing on two of their six legs twirling canes, you would be smiling and enjoying the show.
Roaches are little vacuum cleaners who tidy a messy kitchen. You make a late-night peanut butter sandwich and drop bread bits on the floor and presto, while you are sleeping, they come roaring out from under your refrigerator and gobble up every crumb.
You're probably thinking roaches carry every disease known to man, but they don't. In fact, roaches can't be tagged with any diseases.
It's interesting to note how the sight of a single roach scampering across a dirty kitchen floor will make you call the exterminator. I'm not sure if spraying chemicals around every baseboard in your house to kill roaches is a good idea. We have stopped spraying, but even if roaches are good fish bait and harmless, I don't want them camping out in our house. We use glue traps that pick off spiders as well as roaches. They come in but they don't come out.
Think of the numerous items of Chinese origin we embrace. Who would have thought we would allow tiny needles to be inserted into our bodies, but we routinely use acupuncture. The Chinese also serve a lot of raw fish, eel, and octopus.
There is big money in Chinese roach farming where roaches sell for between $15 and $20 per pound. Buddy and I caught thousands of roaches at the El Dorado garbage dump. We'd be rich now if we could have figured out a way to ship roaches to China.
Email Richard Mason at email@example.com.
Editorial on 03/08/2020
View original post here:
Consider the benefits of roaches - NWAOnline
- Touchstone and Beyond: A History of Disney's "Arachnophobia" - LaughingPlace.com - October 6th, 2020
- Spider Control & Prevention Services | Viking Pest Control - October 1st, 2020
- How to keep spiders out of your home this autumn and winter - RSVP Live - September 10th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire PC Review - GameSpace.com - August 30th, 2020
- Averse Pest Control Enlightens the Public on Why They Need To Get Professional Pest Control - Press Release - Digital Journal - August 26th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire Lets You Take Violent Revenge on Spiders; Here's The Launch Trailer - Twinfinite - August 13th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire brings its spider-slaying action to PC in August - Critical Hit - July 14th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire Receives A Launch Date From TinyBuild - Bleeding Cool News - July 13th, 2020
- Brown recluse spiders, a blown-out back and the grace of God - messenger-inquirer - July 4th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire Full Version Free Download Game - OnFront Media - June 24th, 2020
- First-Person Action Kill It With Fire Is All About Hunting Spiders - Softpedia News - May 9th, 2020
- Never-Used Wapato Jail Has Found Its 1st Tenant - OPB News - May 9th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Spiders in Your House, According to Bug Experts - Prevention.com - May 1st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Spiders Naturally and KEEP them Away for ... - March 10th, 2020
- Guide to Getting Rid of Spiders Around Your Home - HomeAdvisor - February 25th, 2020
- 12 Horror Movies From The '90s That Terrorized Our Childhoods - CinemaBlend - January 7th, 2020
- My realistic New Year 2020 resolutions. Some involve donuts. - Orange County Registry - Daily Gaming Worlld - December 26th, 2019
- How to Beat the Albino Wyyyschokk in Jedi Fallen Order - Heavy.com - November 17th, 2019
- Freaky Spiders That Would Shock Even A Bug Exterminator - November 4th, 2019
- What you never knew about grass spiders | Western Exterminator - October 6th, 2019
- Spider Extermination In NJ & NY - Horizon Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spiders Common To New Jersey - ChemTec Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator | Spider Removal | Environmentaly Safe ... - September 12th, 2019
- Signs of a Spider Infestation | Western Exterminator - September 12th, 2019
- Common Types of California Spiders | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- 2019 Average Exterminator Cost - Thumbtack - September 10th, 2019
- Spiders - Ehrlich Pest Control | Your Local Pest Control ... - September 10th, 2019
- Spider control | Western Exterminator - September 8th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator, Pest Spider Control - May 24th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control of Garden Grove - March 17th, 2019
- Terminix Termite & Pest Control Orlando Exterminators ... - February 10th, 2019
- Affordable Pest Control in New Jersey - February 7th, 2019
- Get Pest Control in Los Angeles | Greenleaf Pest - February 4th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - January 15th, 2019
- How Much Do Spider Exterminators Cost? (A Simply Guide ... - November 19th, 2018
- Exterminator Spiders - November 4th, 2018
- Spiders - How To Kill and Get Rid of Spiders - October 11th, 2018
- Westminster Spider Control - Westminster Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Victoria Spider Control - Victoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Burbank Spider Control - Burbank Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Elizabeth Spider Control - Elizabeth Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Allen Spider Control - Allen Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Bellevue Spider Control - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Mansfield Spider Control - Mansfield Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Secaucus NJ Pest Control | Exterminators In Secaucus - March 18th, 2018
- How Much Does Orkin Spider Control Cost? ATOM - March 12th, 2018
- Spiders | Pest Control Exterminate - March 12th, 2018
- What Can You Spray in Your Yard to Get Rid of Spiders ... - March 8th, 2018
- Wolf Spider Control, Pest Control - February 14th, 2018
- Pest Control | Exterminator | Salt Lake City ... - Bug Busters - February 11th, 2018
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders ... - pestworld.org - January 31st, 2018
- Spider Killer - Insecticide Spray, Repellent Traps, Poison ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders in the House ... - October 15th, 2017
- Sprout's Pest Control uses essential oils - not pesticides - to battle bugs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - September 6th, 2017
- Welcome to Eagle Exterminating Co, providing exterminator ... - September 2nd, 2017
- Berwick Pest, Ant, Spider & Termite Control | Safe & Reliable - August 28th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC Connecticut - August 11th, 2017
- Terrifying 'half-spider, half-SCORPION' creature that eats BIRDS filmed inside family home - Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- LOOK: Freaky spider-scorpion found in man's house - MyPalmBeachPost - August 6th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC4 Washington - August 5th, 2017
- Terrifying creature from hell with huge pincers like a SCORPION is found in family home but what on earth is it? - The Sun - August 5th, 2017
- Man finds bizarre bug that appears to be part spider, part scorpion - WSB Atlanta - August 5th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona ... - ABC15 Arizona - August 2nd, 2017
- How do you get rid of those darn ants? Statesman readers share their tips - Idaho Statesman - August 1st, 2017
- Philadelphia train station has a spider infestation - KNSS - July 31st, 2017
- How to get rid of Arizona scorpions, spiders and Africanized bees - KTAR.com - June 24th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider, here's what they want other parents to know - SCNow - June 22nd, 2017
- Spiders are just like cats: they too like chasing laser pointers - ZME Science - June 19th, 2017
- How to avoid poisonous spiders in your home - wwlp.com - June 16th, 2017
- 5-year-old bitten by a black widow spider is recovering - The Boston Globe - June 16th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider. Here's what they want other parents to know. - Washington Post - June 13th, 2017
- Brown recluse spiders come out of hiding in summer - WWSB ABC 7 - June 12th, 2017
- Tiny Jumping Spiders Can See the Moon - The Atlantic - June 6th, 2017
- Pest-X Pest Control & Exterminator | Winston-Salem ... - May 20th, 2017
- Mark Schofield's Check with Me April, 21 2017: Ranking the Top QBs in the 2017 NFL Draft - Inside the Pylon - April 21st, 2017
- Those creepy crawlies really bug me but will always be there - Ponoka News - March 23rd, 2017
- Get Rid Of Spiders | Kill Spiders - March 5th, 2017
- Columbus Exterminator - Pest Control of Columbus | (614 ... - January 20th, 2017
- Advanced Exterminator - SPIDERS, spider control, spider ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spiders and Crawling Insects - Smithtown Pest Control and ... - November 16th, 2016