California is home to a variety of spiders - a fact you might know from a personal (and perhaps frightening) encounter with one of these arachnids. Spiders might scare you, but dont worry - its our duty to instruct you on the ins and outs of some of these pests you might see.
The following creatures are examples of spiders in California:
Whether you live in Los Angeles or San Francisco or elsewhere in the Golden State, we will help you understand the basic facts about some commonly encountered California spiders. And dont forget - if spiders have taken up residence in or around your property, contact Western Exterminator online or call us at 800-937-8398 and well help tackle your issues.
A few types of venomous spiders can be found in California. These spiders are the black widow spider, brown widow spider and yellow sac spider, along with the desert recluse spider and the Chilean recluse spider (both the desert recluse and Chilean recluse are in southern California). Below, find more information about two of these spiders - the black widow and brown widow.
The black widow spider has a nasty reputation, so if youre a California resident, you should learn how to identify it. You may think female black widow spiders consume the males after they mate, but this hardly ever occurs (although this is where the common name of widow spiders comes from).
In California, you may run into the western black widow spider (latrodectus hesperus). Females are dark in color (they are typically black but can also be dark brown). Males are generally not black and are smaller than the females. Adult western black widow females are 5/16 to 5/8 inches in length. The abdomen of the western black widow female has an hourglass-shaped mark thats usually red or orange. Western black widows are typically located in shielded, dry spots such as hollow stumps, sheds and barns.
You might be concerned about the black widow spiders poisonous bite. Know that male black widow spiders hardly ever bite, but females will bite to defend themselves - particularly when they are protecting their eggs. If you are bitten, you may or may not feel a pinprick. The pain typically comes nearly right away, though. You may also experience swelling and redness. High blood pressure, nausea and sweating are possible, among other symptoms. Get medical attention right away if a black widow spider bites you.
Have you seen black widow spiders around your property or do you suspect theyre around? You should reach out to a pest professional as soon as possible. Contact Western Exterminator to fight the problem.
Did you know the black widow isnt the only widow spider out there? Brown widow spiders have come into areas of Southern California in recent years, so heres your chance to learn more about them.
The brown widow spider is brown or grayish-brown in color. The abdomen has three white spots. It has an hourglass mark thats yellow to orange. A baby brown widow spider can look a bit like a baby black widow spider, but the very young brown widow spiders are colored with more brown. Also, grown brown widow spiders look like immature western black widow spiders - so you need to be careful when trying to identify the type of spider.
You wont likely see brown widows inside your home - rather, they can be found at places that have more exposure (under eaves, for example). Keep in mind that brown widow spiders are venomous; however, the brown widow bite is not likely to be as severe as the black widow bite. A brown widows bite can result in pain and a red mark, but if more serious symptoms crop up, get medical attention.
Have you observed a spider with really long legs? It may have been a long-bodied cellar spider. Cellar spiders get their name because they are often found in damp, dark locations such as cellars.
The long-bodied cellar spider adult is typically pale yellowish to light brown or gray in color. Their legs are thin and long. The bodies of adult females are about to 5/16 inches in length, whereas males bodies are about inches in length. Do not mistake long-bodied cellar spiders for harvestmen, which are also arachnids but are not actually spiders.
You may find a cellar spider web in your basement or cellar, or in a corner of your garage. Despite the cellar spiders somewhat eerie appearance, this spider isnt likely to hurt you. Still, eliminating its webs can turn into an annoyance. Cellar spiders do not eliminate their webs; rather, they tack new webbing on to existing webbing. Cellar spider webs are frequently located in corners.
The long-bodied cellar spider female can make three egg sacs (the sacs each have 13 to 60 eggs). It typically takes about one year for a cellar spider to become mature.
If youre seeing a lot of cellar spiders at your home or business, contact Western Exterminator to find a fitting control solution for these pests.
Western Exterminator can help do away with spiders that are infesting your California property. Our experts can also help you know how to hinder them from coming back. If you think (or know) that youve got a spider problem, get in touch with us today.
Read more from the original source:
Common Types of California Spiders | Western Exterminator
- Brown recluse spiders, a blown-out back and the grace of God - messenger-inquirer - July 4th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire Full Version Free Download Game - OnFront Media - June 24th, 2020
- First-Person Action Kill It With Fire Is All About Hunting Spiders - Softpedia News - May 9th, 2020
- Never-Used Wapato Jail Has Found Its 1st Tenant - OPB News - May 9th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Spiders in Your House, According to Bug Experts - Prevention.com - May 1st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Spiders Naturally and KEEP them Away for ... - March 10th, 2020
- Consider the benefits of roaches - NWAOnline - March 9th, 2020
- Guide to Getting Rid of Spiders Around Your Home - HomeAdvisor - February 25th, 2020
- 12 Horror Movies From The '90s That Terrorized Our Childhoods - CinemaBlend - January 7th, 2020
- My realistic New Year 2020 resolutions. Some involve donuts. - Orange County Registry - Daily Gaming Worlld - December 26th, 2019
- How to Beat the Albino Wyyyschokk in Jedi Fallen Order - Heavy.com - November 17th, 2019
- Freaky Spiders That Would Shock Even A Bug Exterminator - November 4th, 2019
- What you never knew about grass spiders | Western Exterminator - October 6th, 2019
- Spider Extermination In NJ & NY - Horizon Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spiders Common To New Jersey - ChemTec Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator | Spider Removal | Environmentaly Safe ... - September 12th, 2019
- Signs of a Spider Infestation | Western Exterminator - September 12th, 2019
- 2019 Average Exterminator Cost - Thumbtack - September 10th, 2019
- Spiders - Ehrlich Pest Control | Your Local Pest Control ... - September 10th, 2019
- Spider control | Western Exterminator - September 8th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator, Pest Spider Control - May 24th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control of Garden Grove - March 17th, 2019
- Terminix Termite & Pest Control Orlando Exterminators ... - February 10th, 2019
- Affordable Pest Control in New Jersey - February 7th, 2019
- Get Pest Control in Los Angeles | Greenleaf Pest - February 4th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - January 15th, 2019
- How Much Do Spider Exterminators Cost? (A Simply Guide ... - November 19th, 2018
- Exterminator Spiders - November 4th, 2018
- Spiders - How To Kill and Get Rid of Spiders - October 11th, 2018
- Westminster Spider Control - Westminster Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Victoria Spider Control - Victoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Burbank Spider Control - Burbank Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Elizabeth Spider Control - Elizabeth Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Allen Spider Control - Allen Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Bellevue Spider Control - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Mansfield Spider Control - Mansfield Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Secaucus NJ Pest Control | Exterminators In Secaucus - March 18th, 2018
- How Much Does Orkin Spider Control Cost? ATOM - March 12th, 2018
- Spiders | Pest Control Exterminate - March 12th, 2018
- What Can You Spray in Your Yard to Get Rid of Spiders ... - March 8th, 2018
- Wolf Spider Control, Pest Control - February 14th, 2018
- Pest Control | Exterminator | Salt Lake City ... - Bug Busters - February 11th, 2018
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders ... - pestworld.org - January 31st, 2018
- Spider Killer - Insecticide Spray, Repellent Traps, Poison ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders in the House ... - October 15th, 2017
- Sprout's Pest Control uses essential oils - not pesticides - to battle bugs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - September 6th, 2017
- Welcome to Eagle Exterminating Co, providing exterminator ... - September 2nd, 2017
- Berwick Pest, Ant, Spider & Termite Control | Safe & Reliable - August 28th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC Connecticut - August 11th, 2017
- Terrifying 'half-spider, half-SCORPION' creature that eats BIRDS filmed inside family home - Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- LOOK: Freaky spider-scorpion found in man's house - MyPalmBeachPost - August 6th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC4 Washington - August 5th, 2017
- Terrifying creature from hell with huge pincers like a SCORPION is found in family home but what on earth is it? - The Sun - August 5th, 2017
- Man finds bizarre bug that appears to be part spider, part scorpion - WSB Atlanta - August 5th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona ... - ABC15 Arizona - August 2nd, 2017
- How do you get rid of those darn ants? Statesman readers share their tips - Idaho Statesman - August 1st, 2017
- Philadelphia train station has a spider infestation - KNSS - July 31st, 2017
- How to get rid of Arizona scorpions, spiders and Africanized bees - KTAR.com - June 24th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider, here's what they want other parents to know - SCNow - June 22nd, 2017
- Spiders are just like cats: they too like chasing laser pointers - ZME Science - June 19th, 2017
- How to avoid poisonous spiders in your home - wwlp.com - June 16th, 2017
- 5-year-old bitten by a black widow spider is recovering - The Boston Globe - June 16th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider. Here's what they want other parents to know. - Washington Post - June 13th, 2017
- Brown recluse spiders come out of hiding in summer - WWSB ABC 7 - June 12th, 2017
- Tiny Jumping Spiders Can See the Moon - The Atlantic - June 6th, 2017
- Pest-X Pest Control & Exterminator | Winston-Salem ... - May 20th, 2017
- Mark Schofield's Check with Me April, 21 2017: Ranking the Top QBs in the 2017 NFL Draft - Inside the Pylon - April 21st, 2017
- Those creepy crawlies really bug me but will always be there - Ponoka News - March 23rd, 2017
- Get Rid Of Spiders | Kill Spiders - March 5th, 2017
- Columbus Exterminator - Pest Control of Columbus | (614 ... - January 20th, 2017
- Advanced Exterminator - SPIDERS, spider control, spider ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spiders and Crawling Insects - Smithtown Pest Control and ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spider Control - Do My Own Pest Control - September 16th, 2016
- Spider | Exterminator | Pest Control | Integrated Pest ... - October 29th, 2015
- Tiger Termite: Local Pest Control and Exterminator - October 29th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Spiders - Pest Control | Pest Exterminator - October 25th, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Spiders In Your Home Housewife How-To's - October 17th, 2015
- Crab Spiders - Ask The Exterminator - October 12th, 2015
- Daddy Long Legs - Ask The Exterminator - October 4th, 2015
- Organic Spider Control For Homeowners - Kill Spiders Naturally - October 4th, 2015