Yellow Sac Spider
Summary: Yellow sac spiders are probably responsible for more spider bites that occur in the US than any other spider. They have a bite that is painful but does not have long term side effects.
It probably shares more bed space with humans than any other insect, with the exception of bed bugs. It's the yellow sac spider which earns its name by building small, tube or sac-like nests.
Pesticides will have little effect on the egg sacs. It's best to simply vacuum these up when you find them. For adult spider control I recommend either a microencapsulated product like Onslaught insecticideor a flowable powder insecticide like Talstar Pro.
The yellow sac spider is about a quarter-inch long, beige or pale yellow in color, and has two rows of four eyes. It does not have distinguishing markings, but its front legs are longer than the rest of its legs. It is often shipped in agricultural products such as grapes and can make its way into homes on produce. The yellow sac is widely distributed across the country and the world.
This spider is a free ranging hunter, so does not build a web to catch prey. The sac-like silk structure is used only for habitation. It is nocturnal, so it stays in the sac during the day and explores its territory at night using its long front legs at night to search out food...
These spiders usually live outside, but during the fall when temperatures drop and food becomes scarce they come inside in search of food and shelter. The sac spider has a tendency to climb upwards in search of food or as defense mechanism to avoid predators, so the sac spiders commonly build their nests in high places, in the upper corner of a room, behind picture frames on the walls, above window molding, or behind drapes and blinds. People are most often bitten at night while the male spiders are searching for food or a mate.
Sac spiders inject a cytotoxin into their victims which kills cells. The brown recluse spider uses a similar, but more potent cytotoxin, so sac spider bites are sometimes mistaken for brown recluse bites. However, recluse bites take much longer to completely heal, while sac spider bites heal much faster. The bite is described as a sharp stinging pain similar to that of wasp or hornet sting. Sometimes additional symptoms can occur such as a fever, headache, chills, dizziness, nausea, and even shock. If these symptoms occur you should seek medical attention. For any yellow sac spider bite you should clean the area using hydrogen peroxide, followed by an antiseptic to prevent infection. Sometimes skin around the bite will die, but this is not as common with yellow sac spider bites as it is with brown recluse bites. An ice pack applied directly to the bite site will help reduce pain and swelling.
If you see any sac spiders or their sac like nests in the upper corner of a room you can easily vacuum to remove the spider, its nest, and any egg sacs. The egg sacs are small, white and covered in a thin layer of silk. If you do not want to kill the spider you can use a clear jar to capture it. Simply place the jar over the spider and use a note card or other thin, but sturdy barrier to slide under the jar and take the spider outside. If you are transferring the spider using this method, place the jar on the ground and let the spider walk out on its own. Of course, if you are not into saving spiders roll up a newspaper and give it a swat. A perfectly good non-pesticide control method.
- Freaky Spiders That Would Shock Even A Bug Exterminator - November 4th, 2019
- What you never knew about grass spiders | Western Exterminator - October 6th, 2019
- Spider Extermination In NJ & NY - Horizon Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator | Spider Removal | Environmentaly Safe ... - September 12th, 2019
- Signs of a Spider Infestation | Western Exterminator - September 12th, 2019
- Common Types of California Spiders | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- 2019 Average Exterminator Cost - Thumbtack - September 10th, 2019
- Spider control | Western Exterminator - September 8th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator, Pest Spider Control - May 24th, 2019
- Terminix Termite & Pest Control Orlando Exterminators ... - February 10th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - January 15th, 2019
- How Much Do Spider Exterminators Cost? (A Simply Guide ... - November 19th, 2018
- Exterminator Spiders - November 4th, 2018
- Secaucus NJ Pest Control | Exterminators In Secaucus - March 18th, 2018
- Pest Control | Exterminator | Salt Lake City ... - Bug Busters - February 11th, 2018
- Welcome to Eagle Exterminating Co, providing exterminator ... - September 2nd, 2017
- Pest-X Pest Control & Exterminator | Winston-Salem ... - May 20th, 2017
- Columbus Exterminator - Pest Control of Columbus | (614 ... - January 20th, 2017
- Advanced Exterminator - SPIDERS, spider control, spider ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spider | Exterminator | Pest Control | Integrated Pest ... - October 29th, 2015
- Tiger Termite: Local Pest Control and Exterminator - October 29th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Spiders - Pest Control | Pest Exterminator - October 25th, 2015
- Crab Spiders - Ask The Exterminator - October 12th, 2015
- Daddy Long Legs - Ask The Exterminator - October 4th, 2015
- Spiders Exterminator & Pest Control - June 12th, 2015
- Spider Extermination - June 1st, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Spiders in the House - Pest Exterminator - June 1st, 2015
- How much does it cost to get an exterminator for spiders? - May 19th, 2015
- Spider Superstitions - Ask The Exterminator - May 19th, 2015
- Necklace missing after spider story gets ‘exterminators’ into apartment - October 10th, 2012
- Jeremy The Exterminator II: Rise of the Spiders - Video - March 17th, 2012
- Roach Exterminator whittier, 213-928-7721, diamond bar bed bugs, mice , ant removal - Video - February 9th, 2012
- Let's Play Skyrim #5 Exterminator - Video - January 28th, 2012
- [9BG] Skyrim - Brandon, master exterminator - Video - January 28th, 2012
- SOS Pest Control Santa Clara County Exterminators - Video - January 28th, 2012
- Exterminator in NY Pest Control Bed Bug Treatment - Video - January 19th, 2012
- Thief 2: Spider Exterminator - Video - December 6th, 2011
- The Black Desert Saga Ep. 13 - Spider Exterminator - Video - November 21st, 2011
- The Exterminator - Video - November 19th, 2011
- Maggie, spider exterminator - Video - November 6th, 2011
- Intrusion Pest Control Exterminator Rodent Removal Las Vegas - Video - October 30th, 2011
- Let's Play The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - #56. Link the Exterminator - September 29th, 2011
- SA Pest Exterminators commercial - September 22nd, 2011
- Fraxy Boss Fight: SPIDER vs Exterminator - June 29th, 2011
- Kill Spider Pest Control Exterminator Haskell NJ - June 2nd, 2011
- Tennessee Spider Control Arrow Exterminators.wmv - May 31st, 2011
- Justice AKA Billy the Exterminator Episode 3: Spider Infestation - May 23rd, 2011