Whether it was through video stores, TV or newspaper ads, or cable TV channels that reveled in only the creepiest of horror delights, the 90s were an iconic era for horror movies and the kids who loved them. Sometimes, the movies that hid behind the terrifying trailers or creepy cover art were actually scary as hell, while others didnt pan out as well as wed hoped.
It didnt matter, because one way or another, the horror flicks of the 1990s had a hold on the children growing up in that era. And in particular, theres 11 movies from that decade that introduced or reinforced a generation of boogeymen primed to haunt this breed of child up until the present day.
So get under the blankets or behind the sofa, open your laptop, and prepare to journey through the pantheon of 90s horror movies and villains that terrorized our childhood! And be warned, you may want to keep the lights on while reading because you really shouldnt be reading in the dark anyway.
Its not bad enough that spiders have always inspired a special sort of fear amongst most human beings on the planet. Nope, legendary producer Frank Marshall had to make his directorial debut with Arachnophobia: a movie that took the already scary Tarantula, and made it into a super-spider bred to kill with one bite.
Thankfully, Jeff Daniels and John Goodman were on hand to save the day, as the dynamic duo of a big city doctor and an exterminator extraordinaire were able to take out the army of killer spiders with their specific set of skills. But that hasnt stopped us from at the very least flinching when we see an eight legged creature, or Hollywood from trying to make that magic happen again for a new audience.
While Brad Dourifs iconic horror villain/killer doll Chucky had debuted two years earlier in 1988s Childs Play, the kids of the 90s would probably be more acquainted with his misdeeds thanks to the 1990 sequel Childs Play 2, as it was a staple of cable channels like USA Network that would run on any given weekend.
Not to mention, Chuckys method of execution in the finale of Childs Play 2 was even creepier than that of his first films conclusion. This time, instead of merely being burnt alive and blown apart, the toy from Hell was half melted, and then blown apart. Nothing like making Chucky look like the most vicious Garbage Pail Kid ever created before exploding him into all sorts of plastic pieces.
Most of the horror movies on this list are the sort that parents of 90s kids would have had no problem letting their kids sneak a peek at with their best friends or trusted relatives. But even with the most permissive parents, there was always something verboten about taking a look at The Silence of The Lambs, and it was probably because of Anthony Hopkins iconic Dr. Hannibal Lecter.
Dr. Lecter wasnt your typical boogeyman, as he was a more grounded and realistic evil; parents probably didnt want to explain cannibalism to their children. That would have been the least of their problems when parsing out director Jonathan Demmes classic adaptation of Thomas Harris best-selling novel, as the kills in this movie are so chilling, they hold their value with even the most mature of audiences.
Theres a reason that the Candyman mythos is being revived for a modern audience, as its timeless brand of horror and social commentary made it a cult classic when it was released back in 1992. Of course, it also helps that Tony Todds portrayal of the titular supernatural presence was equally unsettling and compelling. Who knew that a deep soothing voice could override the presence of killer bees and a hooked hand?
While Todd would go on to firm up his title as one of the leading horror icons of the decade through sequels and further genre work, his portrayal of a tortured spirit in this film version of Clive Barkers short story The Forbidden is still a pretty powerful claim to fame. So much so that it wound up securing Tony Todds participation in the modern reboot. Looks like its time to be afraid of mirrors again.
Much like Chucky and Freddy Kruger, Hellraisers Pinhead was another landmark presence that crossed over into the 90s horror scene with a huge reputation on his shoulders. Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth was a pretty big deal for its time too, as Doug Bradleys torturous baddie finally got a backstory, and we saw Pinhead in his previously human form in this trilogy capping event.
While the series would continue into direct-to-video Hell, and even Bradley himself would leave the series behind, Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth felt like a huge leap from its modest beginnings. Also, Pinheads very visage itself has always been a selling point to this franchises horror legacy; so even if you hadnt seen the movie as a child, looking upon the face of Pinhead was enough to engrain this one on any 90s kids brain.
As a 90s kid, it was hard not to be incredibly terrified of the movie that 1993s Leprechaun was making itself out to be. With no clear look at the monster himself in the trailers, and a vague enough idea of his horrific appearance haunting every newspaper ad, movie poster, and VHS case for the film, what we didnt see was really what made us terrified of this diminutive terror.
Watching the actual movie was a different story, as Warwick Davis memorable horror creeper was already a master of puns and wisecracks in his first time out. So that monster that Leprechaun horrified us with in its marketing wasnt as bad as we thought when it came to the actual reality. Though that didnt stop us from watching with grinning glee through several sequels, as Davis was having so much fun with the character, it was infectious.
Freddy Kruger was old hat by time the 90s rolled around. Robert Englunds legendary criminal turned spectral being had already gone through the eventual process that every horror heavy winds their way through, with Freddys Dead: The Final Nightmare fully turning Freddy into a walking punchline.
This left the 90s as the perfect time for series creator Wes Craven to return to the series with Wes Cravens New Nightmare, a tale that would start a new trend in horror: the meta-sequel. With Freddy looking to cross over into our world, and with a more terrifying look than ever, the jokes were done and the terror was back. Everybody loves a winner, and Krugers final victory came in reclaiming his horrific demeanor for a new generation to discover.
The meta-horror of Wes Cravens New Nightmare was only a test drive for the horror masters next trick, as Wes Craven would go on to deliver a new classic in the realm of slashers with Scream. And the best part was, he built this next series of vengeful killers by playing off of the rules he set with his own killer past, while also using something every modern teen was familiar with as a part of the madness: the telephone.
Making the careers of young stars like Neve Campbell, Jamie Kennedy, Matthew Lillard, and Skeet Ulrich, Ghostfaces debut would spawn three sequels, a TV series, and a following that just might see Scream come to life again in a new decade of horror. So add random phone calls to the list of things you should start being afraid of again, just in case.
Flipping back to the subject of video stores for a moment, the movie Jack Frost owes every frame of its infamous reputation to the rows of horror movies your local rental dealers would maintain. Because if you remember this movie, its 98% certain its because of the lenticular cover that saw a kindly looking snowman shifting into a large toothed killer.
And before you ask, no this isnt the Michael Keaton movie of the same title that saw a rock star dad reincarnated as a magical snowman. Though that confusion probably didnt help when it came to this movies reputation for trickery; as this films plot was kind of similar. Only instead of a kindly dad getting to spend more time with his kids, a serial killer is accidentally transformed into a mutant killer snowman.
Wes Craven, man. When he wasnt busy making people afraid of boogeymen or random phone calls, he was helping his friends bring horrifying visions to life in other movie series. Wishmaster was one of the most memorable efforts, as horror effects icon Robert Kurtzman took the concept of what we would call a genie, and gave it a more horrifying reality. Sure, wed already seen tales of how not making a wish specific enough to get what we truly wanted backfire, but not even The Twilight Zone turned people into mannequins or drowned unfortunate wishers in a hellish, slow death.
One more fun note to make when talking about Wishmaster, besides Andrew Divoffs chilling presence in the title role, is the fact that his character took out some of horrors greatest heavies, as Robert Englund, Kane Hodder, and even Tony Todd are all victims of his heinous magic.
Speaking of Kane Hodder, if a 90s kid hadnt ever seen one of the previous Friday the 13th entries before Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday, then this film was more than likely their introduction to the memorable series of horror movies that spanned back to the dawn of the slasher era. And how could you blame them, as Hodders second to last appearance as the hockey masked hellion made some pretty big promises.
At last, we were going to learn why Jason Voorhees was a murderer! Finally, Jason Voorhees was going to die and stay dead! And last, but not least, we were going to get an explanation for what the hell that worm crawling out of his face on the poster was meant to be! But if theres anything that Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday should be credited with, its the fact that it gave the world the biggest tease ever: a stinger that would eventually lead to the horror match up of the century: Freddy vs. Jason!
It might not feel as scary now as it did back in 1999, but when The Blair Witch Project was ramping up to its release into theaters, a rather convincing viral marketing campaign made the danger look more real than ever before. And it was all thanks to the team behind the film promoting it as a documentary, rather than a horror entertainment.
With missing posters, 1-800 numbers, and even a website and mockumentary dedicated to the disappearance of the trio of young film students at the heart of The Blair Witch Project, the lines between truth and fiction were properly blurred. All it took was the promise of a witch behind these heinous events to close out a decade of horror delights on a pretty high not.
Whether you ended up enjoying the movie or not, you cant deny that The Blair Witch Project had you going for a moment during one of the busiest years in Hollywood history. And much like any of the other films on this list, it was living proof that the horror genre was alive and well through the 90s movies that kept its dark heart pumping.
Every decade has its notable beasties, creepers, and heavies, much like those laid before you in this rogues gallery of 90s horror. Not only 90s kids remember these infamous beings, but if you find yourself still terrified by these creatures, thank one of them for keeping these legends fresh in the minds of everyone.
Continue reading here:
12 Horror Movies From The '90s That Terrorized Our Childhoods - CinemaBlend
- Kill It With Fire brings its spider-slaying action to PC in August - Critical Hit - July 14th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire Receives A Launch Date From TinyBuild - Bleeding Cool News - July 13th, 2020
- Brown recluse spiders, a blown-out back and the grace of God - messenger-inquirer - July 4th, 2020
- Kill It With Fire Full Version Free Download Game - OnFront Media - June 24th, 2020
- First-Person Action Kill It With Fire Is All About Hunting Spiders - Softpedia News - May 9th, 2020
- Never-Used Wapato Jail Has Found Its 1st Tenant - OPB News - May 9th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Spiders in Your House, According to Bug Experts - Prevention.com - May 1st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Spiders Naturally and KEEP them Away for ... - March 10th, 2020
- Consider the benefits of roaches - NWAOnline - March 9th, 2020
- Guide to Getting Rid of Spiders Around Your Home - HomeAdvisor - February 25th, 2020
- My realistic New Year 2020 resolutions. Some involve donuts. - Orange County Registry - Daily Gaming Worlld - December 26th, 2019
- How to Beat the Albino Wyyyschokk in Jedi Fallen Order - Heavy.com - November 17th, 2019
- Freaky Spiders That Would Shock Even A Bug Exterminator - November 4th, 2019
- What you never knew about grass spiders | Western Exterminator - October 6th, 2019
- Spider Extermination In NJ & NY - Horizon Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spiders Common To New Jersey - ChemTec Pest Control - September 13th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator | Spider Removal | Environmentaly Safe ... - September 12th, 2019
- Signs of a Spider Infestation | Western Exterminator - September 12th, 2019
- Common Types of California Spiders | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- 2019 Average Exterminator Cost - Thumbtack - September 10th, 2019
- Spiders - Ehrlich Pest Control | Your Local Pest Control ... - September 10th, 2019
- Spider control | Western Exterminator - September 8th, 2019
- Spider Exterminator, Pest Spider Control - May 24th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control of Garden Grove - March 17th, 2019
- Terminix Termite & Pest Control Orlando Exterminators ... - February 10th, 2019
- Affordable Pest Control in New Jersey - February 7th, 2019
- Get Pest Control in Los Angeles | Greenleaf Pest - February 4th, 2019
- Spiders | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - January 15th, 2019
- How Much Do Spider Exterminators Cost? (A Simply Guide ... - November 19th, 2018
- Exterminator Spiders - November 4th, 2018
- Spiders - How To Kill and Get Rid of Spiders - October 11th, 2018
- Westminster Spider Control - Westminster Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Victoria Spider Control - Victoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Burbank Spider Control - Burbank Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Elizabeth Spider Control - Elizabeth Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Allen Spider Control - Allen Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Bellevue Spider Control - Bellevue Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Mansfield Spider Control - Mansfield Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Secaucus NJ Pest Control | Exterminators In Secaucus - March 18th, 2018
- How Much Does Orkin Spider Control Cost? ATOM - March 12th, 2018
- Spiders | Pest Control Exterminate - March 12th, 2018
- What Can You Spray in Your Yard to Get Rid of Spiders ... - March 8th, 2018
- Wolf Spider Control, Pest Control - February 14th, 2018
- Pest Control | Exterminator | Salt Lake City ... - Bug Busters - February 11th, 2018
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders ... - pestworld.org - January 31st, 2018
- Spider Killer - Insecticide Spray, Repellent Traps, Poison ... - November 22nd, 2017
- Spider Control: How to Get Rid of Spiders in the House ... - October 15th, 2017
- Sprout's Pest Control uses essential oils - not pesticides - to battle bugs - Chattanooga Times Free Press - September 6th, 2017
- Welcome to Eagle Exterminating Co, providing exterminator ... - September 2nd, 2017
- Berwick Pest, Ant, Spider & Termite Control | Safe & Reliable - August 28th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC Connecticut - August 11th, 2017
- Terrifying 'half-spider, half-SCORPION' creature that eats BIRDS filmed inside family home - Daily Star - August 6th, 2017
- LOOK: Freaky spider-scorpion found in man's house - MyPalmBeachPost - August 6th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days in San Diego Suburb - NBC4 Washington - August 5th, 2017
- Terrifying creature from hell with huge pincers like a SCORPION is found in family home but what on earth is it? - The Sun - August 5th, 2017
- Man finds bizarre bug that appears to be part spider, part scorpion - WSB Atlanta - August 5th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona ... - ABC15 Arizona - August 2nd, 2017
- How do you get rid of those darn ants? Statesman readers share their tips - Idaho Statesman - August 1st, 2017
- Philadelphia train station has a spider infestation - KNSS - July 31st, 2017
- How to get rid of Arizona scorpions, spiders and Africanized bees - KTAR.com - June 24th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider, here's what they want other parents to know - SCNow - June 22nd, 2017
- Spiders are just like cats: they too like chasing laser pointers - ZME Science - June 19th, 2017
- How to avoid poisonous spiders in your home - wwlp.com - June 16th, 2017
- 5-year-old bitten by a black widow spider is recovering - The Boston Globe - June 16th, 2017
- Their child was bitten by a black widow spider. Here's what they want other parents to know. - Washington Post - June 13th, 2017
- Brown recluse spiders come out of hiding in summer - WWSB ABC 7 - June 12th, 2017
- Tiny Jumping Spiders Can See the Moon - The Atlantic - June 6th, 2017
- Pest-X Pest Control & Exterminator | Winston-Salem ... - May 20th, 2017
- Mark Schofield's Check with Me April, 21 2017: Ranking the Top QBs in the 2017 NFL Draft - Inside the Pylon - April 21st, 2017
- Those creepy crawlies really bug me but will always be there - Ponoka News - March 23rd, 2017
- Get Rid Of Spiders | Kill Spiders - March 5th, 2017
- Columbus Exterminator - Pest Control of Columbus | (614 ... - January 20th, 2017
- Advanced Exterminator - SPIDERS, spider control, spider ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spiders and Crawling Insects - Smithtown Pest Control and ... - November 16th, 2016
- Spider Control - Do My Own Pest Control - September 16th, 2016
- Spider | Exterminator | Pest Control | Integrated Pest ... - October 29th, 2015
- Tiger Termite: Local Pest Control and Exterminator - October 29th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Spiders - Pest Control | Pest Exterminator - October 25th, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Spiders In Your Home Housewife How-To's - October 17th, 2015
- Crab Spiders - Ask The Exterminator - October 12th, 2015