Its the stuff of nightmares.
Exterminators have seen more calls lately about rat and mice infestations. And while some are for homes, they're getting more calls to office towers as well -- because, with humans home, they're being taken over.
What were seeing is these buildings are more or less vacant or virtually empty, so thats allowing rodents like mice and rats to have a run of the entire place, said Bill Dowd, the owner of Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control.
Business is booming, he said. Calls and revenues have jumped about 30 per cent since the pandemic began.
Dowd said rats are normally shy critters, but with workers gone from many offices, those spaces can be appealing places to colonize.
That's a problem for a few reasons. Rats can cause a lot of damage such as chewing through electrical wiring and support joists, and even causing fires.
Theyre also concerning from a health standpoint.
Some of our work has found that Interacting with rats in our homes or in a business can have negative mental health impacts on people, said Kaylee Byers, a post-doctoral fellow at the University of British Columbias School of Population and Public Health.
Rats also carry a number of bacteria that can make people sick. When we think about rats we often think about the plague, but there are many other things rats can carry.
Exactly what pathogens the rodents carry varies between cities and even neighbourhoods. Byers said that part of the challenge in keeping down rat populations in urban centres is that theyre incredibly adaptable.
Theyre in cities all over the world, so they can adapt to lots of different environments, they can survive on lots of different types of food sources which has allowed them to do really well, she said.
So how are they getting inside? According to Dowd, its actually pretty easy for rodents to gain access to a building.
All a mouse needs is an opening the size of a dime, and he says that a rat can squeeze its body through an opening the size of a quarter. Sometimes theyll get in through the pipes.
Rodents do travel our sewer systems, he said.
In older commercial properties and even residential for that matter, there may be an old sewer pipe thats coming in from the street into the building, and over the years people do renovations and modifications and they cut that plumbing pipe, but that opening is still open from the street into the basement or into the structure.
He says that occasionally, rats come up through the toilet and not only rats, but even squirrels and snakes.
In commercial buildings that arent in use, the water is sometimes drained from the toilets, giving rats easy access from sewers. But Dowd said even when the water is still there, it doesn't deter these agile critters, because theyre excellent swimmers.
National Geographic posted a video in 2015 that showed a rat easily navigating a toilets plumbing.
While one or two rats or mice in your building might seem like a manageable problem, if you see them, what youre likely dealing with is a full-on infestation.
For every one mouse, or one rat you see, typically theres anywhere from 20 to 30 others, said Dowd. Usually when you see one, its already too late -- you have an infestation there.
Both rats and mice are prolific breeders.
They reproduce every 21 days and then those new babies can reproduce in 21 days, so the numbers go up exponentially, and very quickly," he said.
Dowd says his company is also getting more calls for rodent infestations in residential properties, likely for the opposite reason -- because people are spending more time at home.
People are working from home, so theyre more in tune and theyre hearing that rat or mouse, rat, racoon or squirrel in their walls, and theyre acting immediately to save their biggest investment of their life, their home, he said.
Dowd says property owners should be checking their buildings on a regular basis, and they should contact a pest control professional if they see or hear evidence that rats or other rodents might be inside the building.
When the problem has been ignored for a long time, he said, it's obvious. In the worst experiences, his workers have lifted up ceiling panels and rodent feces have rained down on them.
Dowd may be swamped with calls already, but he believes its just the beginning of what hes going to see in offices, whenever, one day, this is over.
Im anticipating when we all get back to our normal life after the pandemic," he said, "that were going to get inundated with calls.
Read the rest here:
Hostile takeover: empty offices becoming prime real estate ...
- The Four Most Common House Pests and How to Get Rid of Them - Scubby - February 3rd, 2021
- Officials Exterminating Invasive Python Species With ... - December 19th, 2020
- Snakes - Terminix Pest Control - Exterminators Eastern ... - November 29th, 2020
- Can Pest Control Get Rid Of Snakes? | Pest Control FAQ - November 27th, 2020
- Top Snake Control Services Near Me | Free Grades & Reviews ... - November 6th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Snakes and Keep Them Away - This Old House - October 29th, 2020
- Snakes Are Invading This Apartment, Home to a Terrified Family of Four - Newsweek - October 25th, 2020
- What's the Buzz? Bees Around The Home | The Heart of the Farm is the Family - Lancaster Farming - October 21st, 2020
- What's the Buzz? | The Heart of the Farm is the Family - Lancaster Farming - October 20th, 2020
- How Arachnophobia Became the Perfect Creepy Crawly Horror Comedy - Den of Geek - October 11th, 2020
- This new app will protect you from deadly snakes and spiders - Euronews - August 10th, 2020
- Snake Trapping, Removal & Exclusion | Ehrlich Pest Control ... - July 10th, 2020
- Exploring the long history of rats - Worcester Telegram - June 17th, 2020
- Blake Bacho: Whyd it have to be a snake? - Monroe Evening News - June 11th, 2020
- 7 Best Snake Repellent for Yards 2020 - PestPolicy - May 5th, 2020
- 'It's Not My Job To Plug Things In' And Other Nightmare IT Stories - Lifehacker Australia - April 7th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Pests in Your Car and Prevent Them - Yahoo Singapore News - March 28th, 2020
- Snakes: Control & Bites | Ehrlich Pest Contro - March 12th, 2020
- Colorado Couple Remove More Than 150 Snakes From Their Home - Newsweek - March 1st, 2020
- Denver Is an Urban Jungle That's Home to Many Wild Animals - Westword - February 5th, 2020
- Billy The Exterminator: Snakes on a Boat (Season 7 ... - December 8th, 2019
- Do Snakes Hibernate? 9 Answers to a Complex Question ... - October 21st, 2019
- The World's Top 10 Most Venomous Snakes - Pest Wiki - October 12th, 2019
- Fact or Fiction: Do Mothballs Keep Snakes Away? - October 12th, 2019
- How to Keep Snakes Out of Your Yard - Quick and Dirty Tips - October 6th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes (A Simple Guide) - Pest Strategies - September 8th, 2019
- WEC221/UW260: Dealing with Snakes in Florida's Residential ... - June 3rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Copperhead Snakes (A Simple Guide ... - May 21st, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Snakes | Pest Control, Snake Removal ... - May 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes | Updated for 2019 - April 5th, 2019
- Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of Your Yard | ThriftyFun - March 6th, 2019
- Corn Snake: Fun Facts You Never Knew - PestWiki - March 6th, 2019
- Snakes | eLocal - February 26th, 2019
- Samuel L. Jackson - IMDb - February 21st, 2019
- Best Plants that Naturally Repel Snakes | Updated for 2019 ... - February 1st, 2019
- Fire Ants And Snakes - kiltertermiteandpestcontrol.com - September 29th, 2018
- Snake Control: Trapping & Removal Service - September 28th, 2018
- Plainfield, NJ Animal Removal & Pest Wildlife Control - September 20th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Snakes | Snake Repellents | Snake Traps - July 2nd, 2018
- Pest Control Service Exterminator Riverside, CA - June 25th, 2018
- Local Pest Exterminator Service Centers for Fayetteville, GA - June 22nd, 2018
- Snakes | Catseye Pest Control - June 17th, 2018
- Tell Us: Snakes in the House? | The Old Farmer's Almanac - May 2nd, 2018
- Snake Control & Removal - Get Rid of Snakes - Orkin.com - April 1st, 2018
- Do your own pest control | Family Handyman - March 18th, 2018
- Snake Control - Snake Poison - domyown.com - January 23rd, 2018
- Reno, NV Exterminator Services | Pest Control Company - December 29th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Snakes - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - October 17th, 2017
- Cheapest Pest Control in Singapore | GreenCare - October 4th, 2017
- My 5 Days With Billy The Exterminator | Pest Cemetery - October 3rd, 2017
- Getting Rid of Snakes | ThriftyFun - September 29th, 2017
- Snake Poison - Do It Yourself Pest Control, Lawn Care ... - September 5th, 2017
- Outdoors: Rattlers once thrived in SB - South Bend Tribune - September 3rd, 2017
- How to Keep Snakes Away Fast: 5 Methods Youre Overlooking ... - August 30th, 2017
- 6 Critters You Might See This Summer - UC Davis - August 22nd, 2017
- Black widow: is Virginia's only native venomous spider lurking beneath your bed? - Rappahannock News - August 12th, 2017
- Bucky Gleason: Football mission takes UB senior from Bayou to Buffalo - Buffalo News - August 5th, 2017
- Common Eastern Garter Snake - Control & Removal - July 31st, 2017
- The Strain recap: 'One Shot' - EW.com (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Billy The Exterminator - Reality Stars Net Worth - July 3rd, 2017
- Get rid of snakes in my house - Orkin.com - June 26th, 2017
- Woman wrestles huge black snake in home animal battle video ... - Daily Star - June 12th, 2017
- Exterminator discovers incredible find in local chimney - baby bobcats - FH Times - June 3rd, 2017
- Afghanistan: Was It Worth It? - America's 1st Freedom (press release) (blog) - May 23rd, 2017
- Billy the Exterminator has beaver troubles and deals with snakes on a boat - Monsters and Critics.com - April 15th, 2017
- 411MANIA | Ask 411 Wrestling: Breaking Down Shawn Michaels ... - 411mania.com - March 18th, 2017
- Large python tries to hide in car outside Davie home - Sun Sentinel - February 19th, 2017
- Briefs - Mohave Valley News - February 19th, 2017
- Police pull python playing mechanic from under the hood - CNET - February 17th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Snakes in the Garage | eHow - December 3rd, 2016
- Snake Removal and Control - Rid-A-Critter - December 3rd, 2016
- Get Rid of Snakes | Connor's Termite & Pest Control - December 1st, 2016
- Professional Pest Control & Exterminator | Mesa, Gilbert ... - November 14th, 2016
- How to Get Rid of Garter Snakes | eHow - November 4th, 2015
- Watch Billy the Exterminator Videos - A&E - October 20th, 2015
- How to Keep Snakes Out of a Camper | eHow - October 20th, 2015
- Arrow Pest Control Exterminator & Wildlife Management - October 12th, 2015
- Pest Control Services | Angies List - October 4th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator : Swamp Monster - aetv - September 25th, 2015
- Snake-A-Way snake repellent - PEST PRODUCTS - September 18th, 2015