Lepisma saccharina, commonly known as a silverfish or fishmoth, is a small, wingless insect in the order Thysanura. Its common name derives from the animal's silvery light grey and blue colour, combined with the fish-like appearance of its movements, while the scientific name (L. saccharina) indicates the silverfish's diet of carbohydrates such as sugar or starches.
Silverfish are nocturnal insects typically 1325mm (0.51in) long. Their abdomens taper at the end, giving them a fish-like appearance. The newly hatched are whitish, but develop a greyish hue and metallic shine as they get older. They have three long cerci at the tips of their abdomens, one off the end of their body, one facing left, and one facing right. They also have two small compound eyes, despite other members of Thysanura being completely eyeless, such as the family Nicoletiidae.
Like other species in Apterygota, silverfish are completely wingless. They have long antennae, and move in a wiggling motion that resembles the movement of a fish. This, coupled with their appearance and silvery scales, influences their common name. Silverfish typically live for two to eight years. Silverfish are agile runners and can outrun most of their predators (including wandering spiders and centipedes). However such running is only possible on horizontal surfaces, as they lack any additional appendages and, therefore, are not fast enough to climb walls at the same speed. They also fear light.
Silverfish are a cosmopolitan species, found in Africa, the Americas, Australia, Eurasia, and other parts of the Pacific. They inhabit moist areas, requiring a relative humidity between 75% and 95%. In urban areas, they can be found in attics, basements, bathtubs, sinks, kitchens and showers.
The reproduction of silverfish is preceded by a ritual involving three phases, which may last over half an hour. In the first phase, the male and female stand face to face, their trembling antennae touching, then repeatedly back off and return to this position. In the second phase the male runs away and the female chases him. In the third phase the male and female stand side by side and head-to-tail, with the male vibrating his tail against the female. Finally the male lays a spermatophore, a sperm capsule covered in gossamer, which the female takes into her body via her ovipositor to fertilise the eggs.
The female lays groups of fewer than 60 eggs at once, deposited in small crevices. The eggs are oval-shaped, whitish, about 0.8 millimetres (0.031in) long, and take between two weeks and two months to hatch. A silverfish usually lays fewer than 100 eggs in her lifetime.
When the nymphs hatch, they are whitish in colour, and look like smaller adults. As they moult, young silverfish develop a greyish appearance and a metallic shine, eventually becoming adults after three months to three years. They may go through 17 to 66 moults in their lifetime, sometimes 30 in a single year, which is much more than usual for an insect. Silverfish are among the few types of insect that continue to moult after reaching adulthood.
Silverfish consume matter that contains polysaccharides, such as starches and dextrin in adhesives. These include book bindings, carpet, clothing, coffee, dandruff, glue, hair, some paints, paper, photos, plaster, and sugar. Silverfish can also cause damage to tapestries. Other substances they may eat include cotton, dead insects, linen, silk, or even its own exuvia (moulted exoskeleton). During famine, a silverfish may even attack leatherware and synthetic fabrics. Silverfish can live for a year or more without eating.
Silverfish are considered household pests, due to their consumption and destruction of property. However, although they are responsible for the contamination of food and other types of damage, they do not transmit disease.
Earwigs, house centipedes, and spiders are known to be predators of silverfish.
See the article here:
Silverfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Small Bugs: Bite, Treatment, Bed Bug, Identifier, Type ... - October 12th, 2019
- Maritime Beach Club Hotel, North Myrtle Beach - TripAdvisor - October 4th, 2019
- Silverfish - Wikipedia - September 12th, 2019
- Pest Control Whitby | Bedbugs, Roaches, Rats, Mice, Ants ... - May 21st, 2019
- Arrow Exterminators Silverfish Pest Control & Extermination - March 27th, 2019
- Pest Control Brampton | Bedbugs, Roaches, Rats, Mice, Ants ... - March 21st, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Silverfish Quickly & Naturally (FREE Guide) - March 16th, 2019
- Silverfish Bug: What It Is and What It Can Do To You - March 7th, 2019
- 5 Ways to Get Rid of Silverfish Naturally and Organically ... - November 19th, 2018
- Effective Measures to Kill Silverfish Bugs - June 4th, 2018
- Greenix Pest Control - May 16th, 2018
- 30 Exotic Low Maintenance Cool Pets That Are Legal To Own - March 2nd, 2018
- Spider Identification - Bad Spider Bites - January 31st, 2018
- PestWiki An Ultimate Guide to Getting Rid of Pests, Bugs and Insects - Digital Journal - July 31st, 2017
- The Best Pest Control Tips from 117 Experts - June 18th, 2017
- What do you know about ants? - Laval News - May 19th, 2017
- Magical Herbal Correspondences - thoughtco.com - April 5th, 2017
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company | PCO Services - January 20th, 2017
- Silverfish Control | DIY Pest Control | How To Get Rid of ... - January 10th, 2017
- north jersey pets - craigslist - December 2nd, 2016
- Pest Control Jupiter West Palm Beach The Villages Florida - October 8th, 2016
- Amazon.com : Exterminators Choice All-N-One Bug Defense ... - October 7th, 2016
- Florida Exterminating Companies, Pest Control: FL ... - November 1st, 2015
- Pest Control Rocky Mount, NC | Best Exterminator & Pest ... - October 27th, 2015
- Bug Book | Western Exterminator - October 20th, 2015
- Pest Control Derry, NH | Bug Exterminator Salem ... - October 12th, 2015
- Bed Bugs Pest Control Treatment & Fumigation Services In ... - October 10th, 2015
- Pest Control, Exterminator, Pest Management Middletown NY ... - October 7th, 2015
- Western Exterminator | Western Exterminator - October 4th, 2015
- Bigfoot Pest Control West Chicago Extermiantor - September 25th, 2015
- Western Exterminator Company - Pest Control - North San ... - September 25th, 2015
- FAQ Pest Control and Exterminator Questions - September 25th, 2015
- ANS Control - September 7th, 2015
- Story Brook, NY Pest Control | AAA Abco Termite & Pest ... - September 7th, 2015
- Kill Silverfish: Pest Control Products for Silverfish Control - July 7th, 2015
- silverfish control - DoMyOwnPestControl.com - July 2nd, 2015
- Silverfish Prevention & Control - Silverfish Bug Facts - July 2nd, 2015
- Residential Pest Control Services - Northwest Exterminating - May 23rd, 2015
- Home Pest Control Services: Don't Call an Exterminator - May 22nd, 2015
- Pest Control in Houston by Long Point Pest Control - Video - February 2nd, 2012
- Paradise Pest Control | Termite Services | Martin County FL - Video - January 28th, 2012
- Explination of Exterior Pest Control Treatment in Hudson Florida - Video - January 28th, 2012
- Organic Pest Control - Safe Bed Bug Treatment - Video - January 28th, 2012
- Yearly Pest Management on Exterior of Residential Home in Pasco County Florida - Video - January 28th, 2012
- Zip Zap Pest Control | FINDitKC - Video - January 13th, 2012
- Pest Control Tulsa | American Services - Video - January 4th, 2012
- Pest Control Brisbane by Sundry Pest Controllers - Video - December 25th, 2011
- Pest Solutions Inc | Cockroaches | Termites | Victoria, TX - Video - December 16th, 2011
- Is Pest Control Really Necessary For You? Get The Answer Here - Video - December 10th, 2011
- Guarantee Pest Control - Video - October 17th, 2011
- Pest Control : How to Kill Bedbugs With Bombs - Video - October 13th, 2011
- Pest Control Western Australia - Trust Hovex Pesticides - October 11th, 2011
- Pest Control : How to Tell if You Have Bedbugs - September 29th, 2011
- Pest Control : How to Remove Bees From the Attic - September 27th, 2011
- Prime Termite Dec 2009.wmv - September 26th, 2011
- Griggs - September 26th, 2011
- EMERGENCY SERVICE PEST CONTROL, Ebiz - September 25th, 2011
- Bug Squad And Pow Exterminating Control - September 9th, 2011
- SpringStar Spider and Silverfish Trap Assembly and Use - May 23rd, 2011