If you have seen something that looks like a rodent in your house or on your property, you may wonder exactly what kind of pest you just saw. Was it a mouse? Rat? Gopher? Mole? Vole? Something else? Each rodent can become a nuisance pest, but only a few of them pose real health risks to people.
Western Exterminator specialists understand that rodents can be upsetting to property owners. We know that there are a variety of rodents in homes that can cause damage from the backyard to the house itself. We can help you figure out which rodent is invading your space, offer a rodent removal program and prevention plans to stop them from coming back.
If you think you have a rodent problem on your property then contact your local Western Exterminator office today.
There are a number of different species of mice, but some of the most common found around and inside homes in the Western United States include the house mouse and deer mouse. In general, mice share some of these same characteristics.
In general, mice are much smaller than rats and other rodents. Their tails often have hair on them, unlike a rat's tail. They tend to have relatively short noses and tiny black eyes. Some of them are one color on top and with a white underbelly.
Mice droppings look different from rat droppings. They are smaller and have pointed ends and are shaped like a rod.
Mice tend to leave feces and urine behind. They also tear up soft things like cushions and the inside of furniture to make their nests. Mice also will chew through plastic to get to bread and eat other food found in pantries and cupboards.
Rats have been plaguing humans for a long time. They were blamed for the Black Plague during the Middle Ages and there have been numerous diseases attributed to them. There are a number of species of rats in the world, but in the Western United States, the most common are the Norway Rat and Roof Rat. Rats share the following characteristics:
Rats are infamous for having very long, hairless tails. For some rats, their tails are as long as their body.
Rats have very large teeth and, in general, they are larger than mice. Their teeth constantly grow and they are forced to chew on things to keep them from growing out of control. As such, rats chew on just about anything, including wood, drywall and other substances found around a home.
Rat droppings are often found around a home with a rat infestation and they tend to be about 20mm long and capsule-shaped.
It might be hard to spot moles around your property, but you are likely to notice the damage they do to lawns and landscaping. Moles burrow through the ground as their entire body is built for them to move underground, creating tunnels as they go. You might see the raised ridges indicating a mole infestation or a mound of earth composed of loose soil.
There are several species of mole, but the common characteristics include:
One of the most obvious characteristics of a mole is that they appear not to have eyes. That's not true, they do, but since they spend most of their time underground, their eyes are not very effective. Mole s also have very large front paws ending in sharp claws that help pull them through their tunnels and for digging.
Voles are small rodents who burrow underground and create tunnels in yards around properties. The tunnels they leave behind often get them confused with moles, but their overall appearance often get them confused with mice. Voles will leave behind trails similar to that of moles and also eat garden plants and vegetables. Voles share the following characteristics:
Voles look a lot like mice and are often given the name field mice because of their nature to be abundant in fields near residential areas. Voles are generally stocky in shape with short snouts and shorter tails than mice or rats. Their snouts are blunted rather than pointed and have small, round, ears that may even be hard to see against the fur on their head.
The benefit of using Western Exterminator to get rid of your rodent problems is that our experts train to know the signs of rodent infestations. We know the difference between moles, voles and gophers. We can spot the difference between damage caused by rats and those caused by mice.
At Western Exterminator, our pest specialists will identify the rodent infestation and work to fully remove the rodent causing the damage, including their nests. Then we provide follow up treatments and offer advice to prevent a return infestation. Our approach can end up saving property owners money on costly repairs.
Contact your local Western Exterminator office today to discuss your rodent problem with one of our experts.
See the rest here:
Rodent identification guide | Western Exterminator
- Exterminator Rodents - September 10th, 2019
- How do exterminators get rid of mice? - My Homey Home - September 8th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminator | Rodent Removal | Rodent Exterminators - May 29th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminators | Rodent Control & Removal | Allgood ... - May 24th, 2019
- Rodents | Boca Raton Termite Extermination, Pest Control ... - May 24th, 2019
- Pest Control Sacramento | Top Exterminators | Golden Hills ... - May 12th, 2019
- Mouse Exterminator Cost - Fixr.com - March 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control in Milwaukee County, WI | Rodent Exterminator - March 16th, 2019
- Beeline Pest Control - March 12th, 2019
- Exterminators Get Rid of Rodents Attic Crawlspace Rats ... - March 7th, 2019
- Pest Control Albuquerque | Exterminator Albuquerque NM - February 9th, 2019
- Seattle Commercial Rodent Control Exterminators for Rats ... - September 29th, 2018
- What Odors Do Rodents Like? | Pest Control and Bug ... - September 29th, 2018
- Anaheim Mice Control - Anaheim Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Mice Control - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Norman Mice Control - Norman Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Rodents - Southold Pest Control and Exterminator - July 28th, 2018
- Rodents - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 7th, 2018
- Rodents In Memphis Tn | Rodents Exterminator - May 28th, 2018
- New Jersey Mice & Rodent Control | Exterminator For ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Mice, Rodent, and Rat Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - March 26th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control & Traps | Rodent Extermination Products ... - March 9th, 2018
- Rodent Control Exterminator - Hitmen Termite & Pest Control - January 25th, 2018
- Exterminator does the dirty work for rodent-besieged ... - January 7th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control, Traps, and Rodent Extermination ... - November 18th, 2017
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - October 28th, 2017
- Local rat population surging - The Daily Post - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - ProStar Pest ... - August 29th, 2017
- Couple's horror as plague of rats infests their car and EATS the engine while their other motor is littered with ... - The Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Flea Control, Treatment, and Prevention - Victoria Advocate - August 7th, 2017
- The number of rat infestations in Leicester is going up - Leicester Mercury - August 4th, 2017
- Employees say Jacksonville International Airport has major rat infestation - ActionNewsJax.com - August 4th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona - ABC2 News - August 2nd, 2017
- Calling the Pied Piper: Rats invade Petaluma - Petaluma Argus Courier - July 31st, 2017
- Feral cats in demand | Calaveras County's Most Trusted News ... - Calaveras Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- New York unveils $32-million fight vs rats - Inquirer.net - July 13th, 2017
- Mice seen as invading City Hall - Philly.com - Philly.com - July 13th, 2017
- Hartford residents speak out on unsafe, unhealthy living conditions ... - FOX 61 - July 12th, 2017
- North End Residents Organize Against Alleged Neglect By Landlord - Hartford Courant - July 11th, 2017
- Get Rid of Rodents | pest-control.com | pest-control.com - July 10th, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Alessi Bakery's rodent infestation evident by rodent ... - ABC Action News - July 8th, 2017
- From toilet bowls to car engines, rat sightings are up at Danforth and Woodbine - CBC.ca - July 3rd, 2017
- 'They were nesting in my underpants' - John Woodhouse on the city's rodent issues - Stoke Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Bombay Grill Indian Cuisine shut down for 700+ rodent droppings in kitchen - ABC Action News - June 24th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- DNA from Egyptian mummies and Viking graves reveals how cats conquered the world - Popular Science - June 19th, 2017
- Philly nursing home has abysmal rating and rodents, too - Philly.com - June 12th, 2017
- Rat Mob! Rodents Swarm in Myanmar Villages - Live Science - June 8th, 2017
- Villagers fight back as rat hordes swarm Irrawaddy Delta's Ngapudaw - DVB (registration) - June 6th, 2017
- Minnesota sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner - THV 11 - June 6th, 2017
- My College Roommates Were Rats - The New Yorker - June 6th, 2017
- Thursday's best TV: Paula; The Truth About HIV; Jago: A Life ... - The Guardian - May 25th, 2017
- The Arizona Department of Economic Security Is Infested With Rats (Literally) - Phoenix New Times - May 20th, 2017
- MPI's Changes To Rodent Claim Policy Could Mean Lost Local Jobs ... - PembinaValleyOnline.com - May 1st, 2017
- Rodent Control and Removal Methods | Terminix - April 29th, 2017
- Long-time Atlanta restaurant fails second health inspection in seven months - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2017
- Burrowing rodents threaten Central Oregon canals - The Register-Guard - April 13th, 2017
- Former employee posts video of rats in Denison Little Caesar's - KXII-TV - April 13th, 2017
- San Francisco Cockroach Exterminator Bed Bug Rodent & Ant Pest Control Announced - MilTech - April 12th, 2017
- Digging rodents threaten canal safety in Central Oregon; Ground ... - Bend Bulletin - April 12th, 2017
- Rats! Infestation forces firefighters from Riverside South station ... - Ottawa Sun - April 3rd, 2017
- Exterminators tackle Riverside South fire station rats - Ottawa Citizen - April 3rd, 2017
- Massive amounts of trash are attracting rats and ruining this neighborhood - New York Post - April 3rd, 2017
- 'Swainsboro Apartments' Facing Major Rodent Problems That Are Going Unnoticed by Management - WJBF-TV - March 30th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Yahoo News - March 24th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Brandon Sun - March 23rd, 2017
- Rat Hunters in Paris Go on Strike to Demand Pay Raise - Heat Street - March 16th, 2017
- What killed owl at Forest Lawn? Maybe not what you think. - Buffalo News - March 5th, 2017
- What killed owl at Forest Lawn? Maybe not what you think. - The ... - Buffalo News - March 2nd, 2017
- Guardian Angels take up rat control as side gig - New York Post - March 2nd, 2017
- CIRCLING THE SQUARE: The Oscars were nothing compared to my squirrels - Wicked Local Danvers - March 2nd, 2017
- Tell me all you know about the rat! - Kokomo Herald (press release) - February 25th, 2017
- Don't bother petting these cats -- they're working - CBS News - February 24th, 2017
- 'The Cat That Changed America' premieres: Documentary stars Malibuites and local advocates - Malibu Surfside News (press release) (registration)... - February 21st, 2017
- College girls hailed for rat extermination genius - New York Post - February 17th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Found at Second DC Elementary School - NBC4 Washington - February 16th, 2017
- Paris fights rat infestation - WSYR - February 16th, 2017
- Notorious slumlord owns building with disease-carrying rats - New York Post - February 16th, 2017
- Rodent-ridden Bronx building at center of urine plague becomes Health Department battleground - New York Daily News - February 16th, 2017
- The US Army vet, IDF volunteer, now in Congress - Jewish Journal - February 8th, 2017