How much does it cost to hire a mouse exterminator?
While some people consider certain rodents to be pets, that cute little Mickey you see running around the house may not actually be something you want staying around. Mice are often carriers of diseases that can infect humans, in some cases fatally. Mice and other rodents can make nests in closets, attics, walls, crawl spaces, and basements. They may invade the living areas of your home to eat food that is left out or unprotected. Besides the obvious sighting, according to Orkin.com, some signs of mice infestations include finding their droppings, chewed on furniture, and even musky odors. Rodents can cause damage to walls and electrical wires, while also potentially spreading disease and creating an unsanitary habitat. If you find evidence of mice, you may be tempted to try to deal with the issue yourself. However, in most cases youre better off hiring an exterminator, simply because things like traps are often ineffective at reaching the nest, and poisons should be used only in controlled situations by a professional.
It costs on average around $200 to $325 to exterminate mice and rats. However, you may also need to take steps to ensure that they cant re enter, and that all signs of their nests and damage have been removed.
While there are many different species of mice, its the droppings and saliva of specific species that are known to contaminate food and spread diseases within the home. Some of the more common species a homeowner typically comes into contact with includes cotton rats, deer mice, house mice, norway rats, and roof rats. As explained by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, some of the diseases caused by these rodents include:
The first thing you want to do when you have a mice problem in your home is to establish where their nest is, and what the size the population is. Mice typically build their nests in dark, undisturbed spaces such as garages and attics. You should ensure that they do not have easy access to any food (including your pets food) by sealing all food items and storing them in airtight containers.
Thoroughly clean your home, focusing on the pantry and kitchen areas, attics, garage as well as any areas that could possibly be a nest for rodents. Its best to start with a clean home before calling in a professional, as you will need to leave the treated areas undisturbed for a period of time to ensure that problem is dealt with. Therefore, cleaning and removing the droppings and assessing the damage should be one prior to the exterminators visit. If you do not wish to do this yourself, house cleaning ranges between $75-$125 per visit for an 2000 sq.ft. home.
Traps are the most commonly used form of extermination and there are different types of traps available. Professionals are able to identify the best locations to place these traps based on the location of the nests, the type of trap, and the other inhabitants of the home, such as pets or small children. The different traps vary in cost and the exterminator may use more than one method depending on the severity of the infestation.
Plastic Snap Trap
($5 pack of 4)
Very easy to set and release.
Quick and cheap.
Short term solution if the source is not sealed.
The mice will eventually be smart enough to avoid it.
($5 pack of 4)
Not as effective as it may only catch the fur.
The mice may die slowly due to lack of food and water
Quick and effective.
Long term and efficient solution.
Higher cost upfront.
($8-$20 16 ounces)
Danger in homes where there are kids and pets.
It also does not trap or kill the rat instantly, they can still be roaming around before they die.
Some pest extermination companies provide free inspections of the home to identify the type of pests that are in your home, and locate the problem area. They will then provide a quote based on the extent of the infestation, and other factors including the size of your home, and the location of the nests. Out of the way areas, such as nests inside walls will cost more than areas that are easy to reach. For example, simply placing traps in easy to reach areas costs around $90 for a one-time visit; opening walls and repeated visits drive the costs up to $200 to $300 just for the traps.
You may want to start by getting quotes from a few different companies. If they do not provide free inspections, the cost of the initial visit may be around $100, with a total cost range of $300 to $500 to both completely eradicate the nests and seal all the holes shut.
Costs vary according to the extent and the methods used, and it is not something that can be established without an inspection. Most companies will also conduct necessary follow ups to ensure the house is rodent free, with contracts for several visits starting at around $300.
Check on the follow up costs and other inspections with each company quoted. Some companies offer a free 90 day follow up, while others will often offer a contract that would be valid over a period of between 2 to 6 months.
You can control a rat problem by keeping your home clean and sealing up all food in airtight containers.
The most effective way of dealing with rodents is to hire a professional to set traps and seal up entry holes.
The most effective way of ridding your attic of rats is to seal up entry holes, cut tree limbs that get close enough to allow them entry, and to set traps.
The most effective way of getting rid of rats is to hire an exterminator to set traps and seal up entry holes.
The average cost of a rat exterminator is $200-$325.
Setting traps inside the walls by cutting strategic holes is the most effective way of getting rid of mice.
Pest control costs start at around $100 for a single visit, and average between $200 and $325 for follow up treatment.
See the article here:
Mouse Exterminator Cost - Fixr.com
- Rats Adapt To A World In Pandemic Mode - Here And Now - May 19th, 2020
- Edinburgh's rat population is 'out of control' with rodents gathering in gardens - Edinburgh Live - April 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus lockdowns are forcing rats to resort to cannibalism and infanticide due to lack of food sources - MEAWW - April 14th, 2020
- Rats on the rise as shutdown cuts their food supply - Tweed Daily News - April 6th, 2020
- Guide to Cockroaches, Bed Bugs and Rodents in Paterson NJ - Patch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Rodent Exterminator - 54 Photos & 14 Reviews - Pest ... - February 21st, 2020
- Owners of rat-infested home on near west side fined - The State Journal-Register - February 6th, 2020
- Fort Pierce wants to keep temporary animal shelter open through June - TCPalm - January 22nd, 2020
- Rodents in the attic: Beware of winter fire dangers - The Mountaineer - December 6th, 2019
- New theories emerge to explain dead rats washed up in Westport - RNZ - November 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Rats, & Other Rodents in Your Shed - October 20th, 2019
- Patton Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator Services ... - October 4th, 2019
- Rodent identification guide | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- Exterminator Rodents - September 10th, 2019
- How do exterminators get rid of mice? - My Homey Home - September 8th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminator | Rodent Removal | Rodent Exterminators - May 29th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminators | Rodent Control & Removal | Allgood ... - May 24th, 2019
- Rodents | Boca Raton Termite Extermination, Pest Control ... - May 24th, 2019
- Pest Control Sacramento | Top Exterminators | Golden Hills ... - May 12th, 2019
- Rodent Control in Milwaukee County, WI | Rodent Exterminator - March 16th, 2019
- Beeline Pest Control - March 12th, 2019
- Exterminators Get Rid of Rodents Attic Crawlspace Rats ... - March 7th, 2019
- Pest Control Albuquerque | Exterminator Albuquerque NM - February 9th, 2019
- Seattle Commercial Rodent Control Exterminators for Rats ... - September 29th, 2018
- What Odors Do Rodents Like? | Pest Control and Bug ... - September 29th, 2018
- Anaheim Mice Control - Anaheim Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Mice Control - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Norman Mice Control - Norman Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Rodents - Southold Pest Control and Exterminator - July 28th, 2018
- Rodents - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 7th, 2018
- Rodents In Memphis Tn | Rodents Exterminator - May 28th, 2018
- New Jersey Mice & Rodent Control | Exterminator For ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Mice, Rodent, and Rat Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - March 26th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control & Traps | Rodent Extermination Products ... - March 9th, 2018
- Rodent Control Exterminator - Hitmen Termite & Pest Control - January 25th, 2018
- Exterminator does the dirty work for rodent-besieged ... - January 7th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control, Traps, and Rodent Extermination ... - November 18th, 2017
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - October 28th, 2017
- Local rat population surging - The Daily Post - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - ProStar Pest ... - August 29th, 2017
- Couple's horror as plague of rats infests their car and EATS the engine while their other motor is littered with ... - The Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Flea Control, Treatment, and Prevention - Victoria Advocate - August 7th, 2017
- The number of rat infestations in Leicester is going up - Leicester Mercury - August 4th, 2017
- Employees say Jacksonville International Airport has major rat infestation - ActionNewsJax.com - August 4th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona - ABC2 News - August 2nd, 2017
- Calling the Pied Piper: Rats invade Petaluma - Petaluma Argus Courier - July 31st, 2017
- Feral cats in demand | Calaveras County's Most Trusted News ... - Calaveras Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- New York unveils $32-million fight vs rats - Inquirer.net - July 13th, 2017
- Mice seen as invading City Hall - Philly.com - Philly.com - July 13th, 2017
- Hartford residents speak out on unsafe, unhealthy living conditions ... - FOX 61 - July 12th, 2017
- North End Residents Organize Against Alleged Neglect By Landlord - Hartford Courant - July 11th, 2017
- Get Rid of Rodents | pest-control.com | pest-control.com - July 10th, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Alessi Bakery's rodent infestation evident by rodent ... - ABC Action News - July 8th, 2017
- From toilet bowls to car engines, rat sightings are up at Danforth and Woodbine - CBC.ca - July 3rd, 2017
- 'They were nesting in my underpants' - John Woodhouse on the city's rodent issues - Stoke Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Bombay Grill Indian Cuisine shut down for 700+ rodent droppings in kitchen - ABC Action News - June 24th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- DNA from Egyptian mummies and Viking graves reveals how cats conquered the world - Popular Science - June 19th, 2017
- Philly nursing home has abysmal rating and rodents, too - Philly.com - June 12th, 2017
- Rat Mob! Rodents Swarm in Myanmar Villages - Live Science - June 8th, 2017
- Villagers fight back as rat hordes swarm Irrawaddy Delta's Ngapudaw - DVB (registration) - June 6th, 2017
- Minnesota sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner - THV 11 - June 6th, 2017
- My College Roommates Were Rats - The New Yorker - June 6th, 2017
- Thursday's best TV: Paula; The Truth About HIV; Jago: A Life ... - The Guardian - May 25th, 2017
- The Arizona Department of Economic Security Is Infested With Rats (Literally) - Phoenix New Times - May 20th, 2017
- MPI's Changes To Rodent Claim Policy Could Mean Lost Local Jobs ... - PembinaValleyOnline.com - May 1st, 2017
- Rodent Control and Removal Methods | Terminix - April 29th, 2017
- Long-time Atlanta restaurant fails second health inspection in seven months - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2017
- Burrowing rodents threaten Central Oregon canals - The Register-Guard - April 13th, 2017
- Former employee posts video of rats in Denison Little Caesar's - KXII-TV - April 13th, 2017
- San Francisco Cockroach Exterminator Bed Bug Rodent & Ant Pest Control Announced - MilTech - April 12th, 2017
- Digging rodents threaten canal safety in Central Oregon; Ground ... - Bend Bulletin - April 12th, 2017
- Rats! Infestation forces firefighters from Riverside South station ... - Ottawa Sun - April 3rd, 2017
- Exterminators tackle Riverside South fire station rats - Ottawa Citizen - April 3rd, 2017
- Massive amounts of trash are attracting rats and ruining this neighborhood - New York Post - April 3rd, 2017
- 'Swainsboro Apartments' Facing Major Rodent Problems That Are Going Unnoticed by Management - WJBF-TV - March 30th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Yahoo News - March 24th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Brandon Sun - March 23rd, 2017
- Rat Hunters in Paris Go on Strike to Demand Pay Raise - Heat Street - March 16th, 2017
- What killed owl at Forest Lawn? Maybe not what you think. - Buffalo News - March 5th, 2017