The shriekisinstantly recognizable.
Well hear someone scream, and we know there is one out, said Alba Collazo, Philadelphias chief deputy register of wills.
A mouse, that is. Or, worse, plural.
Throughout its 116-year history, City Hall has had its fair share of vermin, but employees who have been there for decades say the current mice population is exploding.
Its infested. Ive never seen them this bad, said Matt Myers, inheritance tax chief, who has worked in the Register of Wills office for 30 years. Myers said that just last week, six to eight mice were caught in Room 180, the main reception area for the Register of Wills. Myers office is across the hall.
The Department of Public Property, however, says there is no problem. Through a city spokesman, department officials declined to be interviewed for this article. Instead, spokesman Mike Dunn offered four one-sentence bullet-point statements that said in part: There have been no reports from the pest control professionals indicating an increase in mice activity. And: There has been no emails or verbal conversations indicating an increase, from the pest folks.
Still, the citys pest-control costshave more than doubled in the last four years. In 2014, the city paid $55,777. This past fiscal year, which ended June 30, the city paid $133,573 for pest control. Increase in costs is due to bedbug treatments, Dunn said.
Bob Daily of Tri-County Pest Control points to a new trap he set up in the press office on the second floor of City Hall. (CLAUDIA VARGAS / Staff)
Myles Guevremont, general manager for Tri-County Pest Control, which has the pest control contract for City Hall, said he could not say whether there has been an increase in mice because this is the first year his company was contracted for pest control.
We dont really have anecdotal data to say, compared to last year it looks worse, Guevremont said.
But for those working on the first and second floors, this spring and early summer have been a contrast to prior years.
City Commissioner Al Schmidt, whos been in office since 2012, said that his first-floor office had not had any issues for a long time, but that within the last month, there had been a constant flow of mice in his office, and they were not there to register to vote.
We have 10 different types of traps set up, he said.
Recently, Schmidt caught the whiff of decomposition from an unseen corpse. The smell seemed to come from a back closet.
We tore it down to find it, Schmidt said. It was behind the water cooler.
Collazo, who has worked in the Register of Wills office for more than 30 years, said that every time there is construction nearby, the mice tend to be more active.
This has been our worst year that weve ever seen, Collazo said.
Experts say the problem likely has been exacerbated by people leaving foodbehind and the building not being properly sealed.
Martin Overline, president of Home Paramount Pest Control, which had the citys pest-control contract for several years until 2016, said the Department of Public Property needs to be involved in making sure there are not openings in the building to allow rodents in.
Mice usually follow utility lines. If the building is properly sealed, they cant travel along the lines, he said.
Carlos Hernandez, owner of Pest-A-Side, which until May had the largest pest-control contract with the city, blames the city for not having a designated eating area for employees.
I repeatedly said to them: put everything in a garbage disposal and get rid of it every day, Hernandez said. Dont eat at your desk. If you eat at your desk, of course mice are going to be around.
Guevremont, who now oversees pest control in City Hall, said that mice issues tend to be isolatedwithin specific offices and are not building-wide: The range of a mouse is very small. They are only traveling 15 to 30 feet from where there is a nest.
The Register of Wills office has sticky traps set up all alongthe perimeter of the floorboards.
Collazo said sometimes she can hear when the mice are caught on the sticky traps. Once they are dead, she can smell it: Ill call maintenance.
The customers who come in for birth certificates, marriage licenses, and services at the Register of Wills tend to be less scared than the employees who say they see the creatures almost daily.
A woman was sitting there, and she just goes, Oh, there goes the man with the brown shoes and fur coat, one of the Register of Wills receptionists said, reenacting her shock at the time.
The second-floor press office, across the hall from Mayor Kenneys suite, was also inundated with mice earlier this spring and into early summer. Sticky traps were set up to no avail, despite multiple sightings. A mice inspector set up a spring-loaded trap he called the neck-breaker. Two mice were caught on it within a week.
Bob Daily, an exterminator with Tri-County Exterminators, sets mouse traps around the City Hall press office.
On the other side of the second floor of City Hall, Room 296, which houses the Civil Filing Center, has been closed this summer due to bedbugs and renovations.
Hernandez, the citys former pest control manager, called the pest situation in city-run buildings very bad.
Bedbugs are sucking blood all over the place, he said. Theres mice running all over the place in police stations and fire stations.
As for the mice in City Hall, Collazo said, she is considering getting an office cat.
We would have to have a big one, she said.
Published: July 12, 2017 12:46 PM EDT
We recently asked you to support our journalism. The response, in a word, is heartening. You have encouraged us in our mission to provide quality news and watchdog journalism. Some of you have even followed through with subscriptions, which is especially gratifying. Our role as an independent, fact-based news organization has never been clearer. And our promise to you is that we will always strive to provide indispensable journalism to our community. Subscriptions are available for home delivery of the print edition and for a digital replica viewable on your mobile device or computer. Subscriptions start as low as 25 per day.We're thankful for your support in every way.
See the original post:
Mice seen as invading City Hall - Philly.com - Philly.com
- Home Pest Control Services | Call an Exterminator | Orkin - September 12th, 2020
- DaBaby and Quavo Mess With a Magic Smartphone in "Pick Up" Visual - HYPEBEAST - September 9th, 2020
- Nowhere to live in Bedford County: One woman's battle with rats, bugs - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - September 6th, 2020
- When Canada's big city rats were enjoying the summer weather in 2001 - CBC.ca - August 23rd, 2020
- 14 Best Pest Control Companies - Newark NJ | Exterminators - July 12th, 2020
- Pest Control for Rodents | Get Rid of Rats and Mice - July 12th, 2020
- Rats Adapt To A World In Pandemic Mode - Here And Now - May 19th, 2020
- Edinburgh's rat population is 'out of control' with rodents gathering in gardens - Edinburgh Live - April 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus lockdowns are forcing rats to resort to cannibalism and infanticide due to lack of food sources - MEAWW - April 14th, 2020
- Rats on the rise as shutdown cuts their food supply - Tweed Daily News - April 6th, 2020
- Guide to Cockroaches, Bed Bugs and Rodents in Paterson NJ - Patch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Rodent Exterminator - 54 Photos & 14 Reviews - Pest ... - February 21st, 2020
- Owners of rat-infested home on near west side fined - The State Journal-Register - February 6th, 2020
- Fort Pierce wants to keep temporary animal shelter open through June - TCPalm - January 22nd, 2020
- Rodents in the attic: Beware of winter fire dangers - The Mountaineer - December 6th, 2019
- New theories emerge to explain dead rats washed up in Westport - RNZ - November 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Rats, & Other Rodents in Your Shed - October 20th, 2019
- Patton Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator Services ... - October 4th, 2019
- Rodent identification guide | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- Exterminator Rodents - September 10th, 2019
- How do exterminators get rid of mice? - My Homey Home - September 8th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminator | Rodent Removal | Rodent Exterminators - May 29th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminators | Rodent Control & Removal | Allgood ... - May 24th, 2019
- Rodents | Boca Raton Termite Extermination, Pest Control ... - May 24th, 2019
- Pest Control Sacramento | Top Exterminators | Golden Hills ... - May 12th, 2019
- Mouse Exterminator Cost - Fixr.com - March 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control in Milwaukee County, WI | Rodent Exterminator - March 16th, 2019
- Beeline Pest Control - March 12th, 2019
- Exterminators Get Rid of Rodents Attic Crawlspace Rats ... - March 7th, 2019
- Pest Control Albuquerque | Exterminator Albuquerque NM - February 9th, 2019
- Seattle Commercial Rodent Control Exterminators for Rats ... - September 29th, 2018
- What Odors Do Rodents Like? | Pest Control and Bug ... - September 29th, 2018
- Anaheim Mice Control - Anaheim Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Mice Control - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Norman Mice Control - Norman Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Rodents - Southold Pest Control and Exterminator - July 28th, 2018
- Rodents - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 7th, 2018
- Rodents In Memphis Tn | Rodents Exterminator - May 28th, 2018
- New Jersey Mice & Rodent Control | Exterminator For ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Mice, Rodent, and Rat Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - March 26th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control & Traps | Rodent Extermination Products ... - March 9th, 2018
- Rodent Control Exterminator - Hitmen Termite & Pest Control - January 25th, 2018
- Exterminator does the dirty work for rodent-besieged ... - January 7th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control, Traps, and Rodent Extermination ... - November 18th, 2017
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - October 28th, 2017
- Local rat population surging - The Daily Post - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - ProStar Pest ... - August 29th, 2017
- Couple's horror as plague of rats infests their car and EATS the engine while their other motor is littered with ... - The Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Flea Control, Treatment, and Prevention - Victoria Advocate - August 7th, 2017
- The number of rat infestations in Leicester is going up - Leicester Mercury - August 4th, 2017
- Employees say Jacksonville International Airport has major rat infestation - ActionNewsJax.com - August 4th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona - ABC2 News - August 2nd, 2017
- Calling the Pied Piper: Rats invade Petaluma - Petaluma Argus Courier - July 31st, 2017
- Feral cats in demand | Calaveras County's Most Trusted News ... - Calaveras Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- New York unveils $32-million fight vs rats - Inquirer.net - July 13th, 2017
- Hartford residents speak out on unsafe, unhealthy living conditions ... - FOX 61 - July 12th, 2017
- North End Residents Organize Against Alleged Neglect By Landlord - Hartford Courant - July 11th, 2017
- Get Rid of Rodents | pest-control.com | pest-control.com - July 10th, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Alessi Bakery's rodent infestation evident by rodent ... - ABC Action News - July 8th, 2017
- From toilet bowls to car engines, rat sightings are up at Danforth and Woodbine - CBC.ca - July 3rd, 2017
- 'They were nesting in my underpants' - John Woodhouse on the city's rodent issues - Stoke Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Bombay Grill Indian Cuisine shut down for 700+ rodent droppings in kitchen - ABC Action News - June 24th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- DNA from Egyptian mummies and Viking graves reveals how cats conquered the world - Popular Science - June 19th, 2017
- Philly nursing home has abysmal rating and rodents, too - Philly.com - June 12th, 2017
- Rat Mob! Rodents Swarm in Myanmar Villages - Live Science - June 8th, 2017
- Villagers fight back as rat hordes swarm Irrawaddy Delta's Ngapudaw - DVB (registration) - June 6th, 2017
- Minnesota sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner - THV 11 - June 6th, 2017
- My College Roommates Were Rats - The New Yorker - June 6th, 2017
- Thursday's best TV: Paula; The Truth About HIV; Jago: A Life ... - The Guardian - May 25th, 2017
- The Arizona Department of Economic Security Is Infested With Rats (Literally) - Phoenix New Times - May 20th, 2017
- MPI's Changes To Rodent Claim Policy Could Mean Lost Local Jobs ... - PembinaValleyOnline.com - May 1st, 2017
- Rodent Control and Removal Methods | Terminix - April 29th, 2017
- Long-time Atlanta restaurant fails second health inspection in seven months - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2017
- Burrowing rodents threaten Central Oregon canals - The Register-Guard - April 13th, 2017
- Former employee posts video of rats in Denison Little Caesar's - KXII-TV - April 13th, 2017
- San Francisco Cockroach Exterminator Bed Bug Rodent & Ant Pest Control Announced - MilTech - April 12th, 2017
- Digging rodents threaten canal safety in Central Oregon; Ground ... - Bend Bulletin - April 12th, 2017
- Rats! Infestation forces firefighters from Riverside South station ... - Ottawa Sun - April 3rd, 2017
- Exterminators tackle Riverside South fire station rats - Ottawa Citizen - April 3rd, 2017