The secrets that exterminators use to get rid of mice are extremely well guarded by their industry. Only trusted and seasoned professionals are allowed to know the deepest secrets
OK, Im just kidding. There are no secrets, you can walk along when they are working around your house, see what they are doing and ask questions. A good reputable professional exterminator will do the following, but you can do it yourself too:
access holes through wall
adolescent mice can squeeze through brick vent holes
Look for possible entrances in to the house. This can be through vents, cracks, around windows or the foundation, holes for pipes, electricity or phone.
In my house I found a very unlikely place that mice were sneaking in, it was through siding corner joints.
Look at the grass around your home, if you dont keep it too short, you can sometimes see thin corridors through the grass. These corridors show you where they are coming from, going to and general vicinity where they might be entering your house.
For more detail read this post: how do I know I have mice.
Mice do not like open spaces, they tend to travel through walls, along the baseboards and under furniture. Look for dirty gray slightly oily smears along the baseboards. Mice usually run along rubbing slightly against the wall. This, over time, will leave dirty streaks along the bottom of a wall.
Check behind or under large appliances or large furniture. Pull out the fridge, stove, couch to check possible clues.
If you have storage boxes with books, toys, clothes or anything else check for gnaw holes in the boxes. Check inside the box, sometimes mice just want the cardboard for their nest and sometimes they will setup the nest in the box!
In the basement, check in high and low areas. If your basement is not fully finished, check ceilings openings, insulation, shelves or any other cramp places for trace evidence of mice.
If you have an attic that is used for storage, then the same should be done as in the basement and main part of the house. However if your attic space is just filled with insulation and they live up there, you will be able to see tunnels in the insulation, nests under the insulation, droppings and urine stains in the areas most frequented. One thing to consider, unfinished attic spaces can be dangerous, so if you are not use to unfinished spaces dont go up there. Mice have no food up there and have to come down for food, you can get them then.
If you have a pantry, check behind the products. Lift each item and make sure that there are no holes in the bags or boxes, other wise you might not notice a small hole.
Read this post for an in-depth look at where mice hide and make nests.
Exterminators mainly use poison bait stations. These are usually plastic containers with poison inside. This helps to protect your kids and pets from playing and ingesting the poison. As extra precaution keep kids and pets away from it. Using poison allows exterminators to visit your house less often. The mice consume the poison and it takes usually a few days for them to die. For me the problem with poison is that you are not removing the mice from your house. The rodents die somewhere inside your walls, floor boards, or other places and you have no idea where.
Classic mousetraps require frequent monitoring, cleaning and reseting. With regular mousetraps you will need to check, dispose and set new ones at least every 3 days. But really, you should check much more often to clean up and reset. If you leave a dead mouse for longer it will begin to decompose and smell very very bad.
how to place mouse trap
The placement of traps is important, you want the trap set next to a wall that they frequent. Place the trap so that the bait is closest to the wall, right on their path. Another good place is where you see their droppings, again placing the trap with the bait towards a wall or a structure.
Make sure you use gloves, Mice have a very well developed olfactory, giving them an excellent sense of smell. If you handle the trap with your bare hands, mice will be able to smell human and might avoid it.
Place a very small about of bait. For me, peanut butter had best results, it is pungent and mice love nuts it. If you place a big amount they might be able to lick off enough to get satisfied before the trap goes off.
No exterminator that I know of uses no kill, humane traps, they are just too much work. Humane traps require checking at least once a day. If they contain a mouse they need to be emptied, cleaned and reset. This would require the exterminator to visit your house every day! Mice have a high metabolism and need food often, without food an average mouse will die in 2 to 4 days. So if you do not want the mouse to suffer you need to check humane traps at least once a day.
If you get rid of the mice inside, but dont protect your home from more mice coming in, it will be a never ending cycle. You need to know how capable mice are and how they can get in you home. Adolescent mice can fit through a hole or crack the size of a pen. They are not afraid of tight spaces, in fact they like them. The more exposed mice are the more vulnerable they are to predators.
Read this post: mice facts to get an understanding of their capabilities and habits.
Whatever you choose to do to eliminate your pest problem, you need to make notes. Mark down where the trap is, the date the trap was placed, the date the trap was full and date last checked. This will keep you on schedule making sure that you do it regularly. You need to keep on top of it if you want the fastest results possible.
If you have an infestation you need to check in the morning and evening, but if you dont have time then at least once daily. As the frequency of full traps drops, you can check the traps less often. You will see how often the traps are set off and you can judge the frequency yourself. But dont leave the traps full for too long.
Click here to find out how to get rid of the critters.
If you dont want to tackle this yourself and would rather higher a professional exterminator you can follow this link and Google will find closest exterminators and also rank them for you: Google search for mice exterminators.
The rest is here:
How do exterminators get rid of mice? - My Homey Home
- Rats Adapt To A World In Pandemic Mode - Here And Now - May 19th, 2020
- Edinburgh's rat population is 'out of control' with rodents gathering in gardens - Edinburgh Live - April 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus lockdowns are forcing rats to resort to cannibalism and infanticide due to lack of food sources - MEAWW - April 14th, 2020
- Rats on the rise as shutdown cuts their food supply - Tweed Daily News - April 6th, 2020
- Guide to Cockroaches, Bed Bugs and Rodents in Paterson NJ - Patch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Rodent Exterminator - 54 Photos & 14 Reviews - Pest ... - February 21st, 2020
- Owners of rat-infested home on near west side fined - The State Journal-Register - February 6th, 2020
- Fort Pierce wants to keep temporary animal shelter open through June - TCPalm - January 22nd, 2020
- Rodents in the attic: Beware of winter fire dangers - The Mountaineer - December 6th, 2019
- New theories emerge to explain dead rats washed up in Westport - RNZ - November 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Rats, & Other Rodents in Your Shed - October 20th, 2019
- Patton Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator Services ... - October 4th, 2019
- Rodent identification guide | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- Exterminator Rodents - September 10th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminator | Rodent Removal | Rodent Exterminators - May 29th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminators | Rodent Control & Removal | Allgood ... - May 24th, 2019
- Rodents | Boca Raton Termite Extermination, Pest Control ... - May 24th, 2019
- Pest Control Sacramento | Top Exterminators | Golden Hills ... - May 12th, 2019
- Mouse Exterminator Cost - Fixr.com - March 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control in Milwaukee County, WI | Rodent Exterminator - March 16th, 2019
- Beeline Pest Control - March 12th, 2019
- Exterminators Get Rid of Rodents Attic Crawlspace Rats ... - March 7th, 2019
- Pest Control Albuquerque | Exterminator Albuquerque NM - February 9th, 2019
- Seattle Commercial Rodent Control Exterminators for Rats ... - September 29th, 2018
- What Odors Do Rodents Like? | Pest Control and Bug ... - September 29th, 2018
- Anaheim Mice Control - Anaheim Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Mice Control - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Norman Mice Control - Norman Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Rodents - Southold Pest Control and Exterminator - July 28th, 2018
- Rodents - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 7th, 2018
- Rodents In Memphis Tn | Rodents Exterminator - May 28th, 2018
- New Jersey Mice & Rodent Control | Exterminator For ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Mice, Rodent, and Rat Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - March 26th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control & Traps | Rodent Extermination Products ... - March 9th, 2018
- Rodent Control Exterminator - Hitmen Termite & Pest Control - January 25th, 2018
- Exterminator does the dirty work for rodent-besieged ... - January 7th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control, Traps, and Rodent Extermination ... - November 18th, 2017
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - October 28th, 2017
- Local rat population surging - The Daily Post - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - ProStar Pest ... - August 29th, 2017
- Couple's horror as plague of rats infests their car and EATS the engine while their other motor is littered with ... - The Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Flea Control, Treatment, and Prevention - Victoria Advocate - August 7th, 2017
- The number of rat infestations in Leicester is going up - Leicester Mercury - August 4th, 2017
- Employees say Jacksonville International Airport has major rat infestation - ActionNewsJax.com - August 4th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona - ABC2 News - August 2nd, 2017
- Calling the Pied Piper: Rats invade Petaluma - Petaluma Argus Courier - July 31st, 2017
- Feral cats in demand | Calaveras County's Most Trusted News ... - Calaveras Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- New York unveils $32-million fight vs rats - Inquirer.net - July 13th, 2017
- Mice seen as invading City Hall - Philly.com - Philly.com - July 13th, 2017
- Hartford residents speak out on unsafe, unhealthy living conditions ... - FOX 61 - July 12th, 2017
- North End Residents Organize Against Alleged Neglect By Landlord - Hartford Courant - July 11th, 2017
- Get Rid of Rodents | pest-control.com | pest-control.com - July 10th, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Alessi Bakery's rodent infestation evident by rodent ... - ABC Action News - July 8th, 2017
- From toilet bowls to car engines, rat sightings are up at Danforth and Woodbine - CBC.ca - July 3rd, 2017
- 'They were nesting in my underpants' - John Woodhouse on the city's rodent issues - Stoke Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Bombay Grill Indian Cuisine shut down for 700+ rodent droppings in kitchen - ABC Action News - June 24th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- DNA from Egyptian mummies and Viking graves reveals how cats conquered the world - Popular Science - June 19th, 2017
- Philly nursing home has abysmal rating and rodents, too - Philly.com - June 12th, 2017
- Rat Mob! Rodents Swarm in Myanmar Villages - Live Science - June 8th, 2017
- Villagers fight back as rat hordes swarm Irrawaddy Delta's Ngapudaw - DVB (registration) - June 6th, 2017
- Minnesota sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner - THV 11 - June 6th, 2017
- My College Roommates Were Rats - The New Yorker - June 6th, 2017
- Thursday's best TV: Paula; The Truth About HIV; Jago: A Life ... - The Guardian - May 25th, 2017
- The Arizona Department of Economic Security Is Infested With Rats (Literally) - Phoenix New Times - May 20th, 2017
- MPI's Changes To Rodent Claim Policy Could Mean Lost Local Jobs ... - PembinaValleyOnline.com - May 1st, 2017
- Rodent Control and Removal Methods | Terminix - April 29th, 2017
- Long-time Atlanta restaurant fails second health inspection in seven months - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2017
- Burrowing rodents threaten Central Oregon canals - The Register-Guard - April 13th, 2017
- Former employee posts video of rats in Denison Little Caesar's - KXII-TV - April 13th, 2017
- San Francisco Cockroach Exterminator Bed Bug Rodent & Ant Pest Control Announced - MilTech - April 12th, 2017
- Digging rodents threaten canal safety in Central Oregon; Ground ... - Bend Bulletin - April 12th, 2017
- Rats! Infestation forces firefighters from Riverside South station ... - Ottawa Sun - April 3rd, 2017
- Exterminators tackle Riverside South fire station rats - Ottawa Citizen - April 3rd, 2017
- Massive amounts of trash are attracting rats and ruining this neighborhood - New York Post - April 3rd, 2017
- 'Swainsboro Apartments' Facing Major Rodent Problems That Are Going Unnoticed by Management - WJBF-TV - March 30th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Yahoo News - March 24th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Brandon Sun - March 23rd, 2017
- Rat Hunters in Paris Go on Strike to Demand Pay Raise - Heat Street - March 16th, 2017
- What killed owl at Forest Lawn? Maybe not what you think. - Buffalo News - March 5th, 2017