APPEARANCE & IDENTIFICATION
The largest group of mammals are the true rodents in the order Rodentia about 2,300 species so the appearance and identification of rodents is a very broad and diverse topic. However, most rodents that are associated with homes and businesses are mice, rats, squirrels, chipmunks and voles. Other mammals that may be familiar to homeowners, but are not rodents, include rabbits, shrews, moles and groundhogs. Rodents have large incisors they use to chew, have fur, and relatively large eyes.
Rodents are normally nest builders or burrowers, and most rodents choose to build their nests and burrows in places that provide good harborage where they are well protected. Of special importance to home and business owners are the synantrophic rodents, those that like to live with or in close proximity to people. In addition to damaging and destroying human foodstuffs, rodents often will cause damage to items they gnaw upon, a hereditary habit designed to keep their incisor teeth sharp and chiseled down.
Rodents may sometimes bite people or pets if they are startled and must defend themselves, but the most important issue involving rodents is the transmission of rodent diseases to humans and other animals.
Rodents are usually active throughout the year inside a structure, but outdoors are less active in the cold weather months than the warm weather months.
Rodent diets vary a great deal and include plants, seeds, nuts, and vegetables. However, those rodents that are domestic in nature those that live in close proximity to people may feed upon almost any food source that people grow, store, package, discard, or otherwise leave lying around.
The principal requirements of rodent habitat are sheltered, protected, infrequently disturbed locations that are also close to food sources and water. Typical rodent habitats around and in buildings are outside under piles of debris, overgrown vegetation, and inside where rooms, closets wall voids, or other such areas that have accumulations of clutter and are near food and water.
Rodents usually gain entrance to a home or building through openings that lead inside from the exterior. However, rodents may hitchhike inside when infested items are brought into the building.
Evidence of rodent activity includes observing the animal, their burrows or dens, plant damage, feces, tracks, rub marks from their oily fur contacting surfaces, damage to inanimate objects caused by gnawing, damage to food and food containers, and bits of paper or vegetation they use to construct nests.
OBSERVATION. Rodents are more active at night; however, if they are seen during the day, that usually means a very large rodent population is nearby.
BURROWS OR NESTS. Holes in the ground around foundations, nests in attics, basements, under kitchen cabinets, or in the basement or garage.
SOUNDS. Rodents produce noise when they move around or build nests.
GNAW MARKS. Rodents spend some of their time chewing and gnawing on wood, plastic, and other hard surfaces in order to keep their teeth chiseled down.
RUB MARKS. As rodents move from one location to another, they may leave body oils from their fur that get deposited onto corners and edges of walls and around holes and gaps they use to enter into a wall void.
DROPPINGS. Rodents excrete a lot of feces, and the presence of fecal droppings is a surefire way to spot an infestation. Remove droppings immediately and wait to see if new droppings appear. NEVER REMOVE RODENT FECES WITHOUT RESPIRATORY PROTECTION.
Rodent footprints and tracks left in dusty locations can also be a sign of an infestation
Rodent prevention is dependent on reducing the rodents availability and accessibility to food, water and harborage (protection).
Rodent control generally involves the use of products such as live and kill-type traps, toxic bait products, and traps that employ adhesive substances to capture rodents.
Your pest management professional is the best person to call for assistance in controlling rodents around your property. Some of the products he or she may use include:
Continue reading here:
Get Rid of Rodents | pest-control.com | pest-control.com
- Rats Adapt To A World In Pandemic Mode - Here And Now - May 19th, 2020
- Edinburgh's rat population is 'out of control' with rodents gathering in gardens - Edinburgh Live - April 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus lockdowns are forcing rats to resort to cannibalism and infanticide due to lack of food sources - MEAWW - April 14th, 2020
- Rats on the rise as shutdown cuts their food supply - Tweed Daily News - April 6th, 2020
- Guide to Cockroaches, Bed Bugs and Rodents in Paterson NJ - Patch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Rodent Exterminator - 54 Photos & 14 Reviews - Pest ... - February 21st, 2020
- Owners of rat-infested home on near west side fined - The State Journal-Register - February 6th, 2020
- Fort Pierce wants to keep temporary animal shelter open through June - TCPalm - January 22nd, 2020
- Rodents in the attic: Beware of winter fire dangers - The Mountaineer - December 6th, 2019
- New theories emerge to explain dead rats washed up in Westport - RNZ - November 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Rats, & Other Rodents in Your Shed - October 20th, 2019
- Patton Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator Services ... - October 4th, 2019
- Rodent identification guide | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- Exterminator Rodents - September 10th, 2019
- How do exterminators get rid of mice? - My Homey Home - September 8th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminator | Rodent Removal | Rodent Exterminators - May 29th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminators | Rodent Control & Removal | Allgood ... - May 24th, 2019
- Rodents | Boca Raton Termite Extermination, Pest Control ... - May 24th, 2019
- Pest Control Sacramento | Top Exterminators | Golden Hills ... - May 12th, 2019
- Mouse Exterminator Cost - Fixr.com - March 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control in Milwaukee County, WI | Rodent Exterminator - March 16th, 2019
- Beeline Pest Control - March 12th, 2019
- Exterminators Get Rid of Rodents Attic Crawlspace Rats ... - March 7th, 2019
- Pest Control Albuquerque | Exterminator Albuquerque NM - February 9th, 2019
- Seattle Commercial Rodent Control Exterminators for Rats ... - September 29th, 2018
- What Odors Do Rodents Like? | Pest Control and Bug ... - September 29th, 2018
- Anaheim Mice Control - Anaheim Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Mice Control - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Norman Mice Control - Norman Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Rodents - Southold Pest Control and Exterminator - July 28th, 2018
- Rodents - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 7th, 2018
- Rodents In Memphis Tn | Rodents Exterminator - May 28th, 2018
- New Jersey Mice & Rodent Control | Exterminator For ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Mice, Rodent, and Rat Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - March 26th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control & Traps | Rodent Extermination Products ... - March 9th, 2018
- Rodent Control Exterminator - Hitmen Termite & Pest Control - January 25th, 2018
- Exterminator does the dirty work for rodent-besieged ... - January 7th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control, Traps, and Rodent Extermination ... - November 18th, 2017
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - October 28th, 2017
- Local rat population surging - The Daily Post - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - ProStar Pest ... - August 29th, 2017
- Couple's horror as plague of rats infests their car and EATS the engine while their other motor is littered with ... - The Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Flea Control, Treatment, and Prevention - Victoria Advocate - August 7th, 2017
- The number of rat infestations in Leicester is going up - Leicester Mercury - August 4th, 2017
- Employees say Jacksonville International Airport has major rat infestation - ActionNewsJax.com - August 4th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona - ABC2 News - August 2nd, 2017
- Calling the Pied Piper: Rats invade Petaluma - Petaluma Argus Courier - July 31st, 2017
- Feral cats in demand | Calaveras County's Most Trusted News ... - Calaveras Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- New York unveils $32-million fight vs rats - Inquirer.net - July 13th, 2017
- Mice seen as invading City Hall - Philly.com - Philly.com - July 13th, 2017
- Hartford residents speak out on unsafe, unhealthy living conditions ... - FOX 61 - July 12th, 2017
- North End Residents Organize Against Alleged Neglect By Landlord - Hartford Courant - July 11th, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Alessi Bakery's rodent infestation evident by rodent ... - ABC Action News - July 8th, 2017
- From toilet bowls to car engines, rat sightings are up at Danforth and Woodbine - CBC.ca - July 3rd, 2017
- 'They were nesting in my underpants' - John Woodhouse on the city's rodent issues - Stoke Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Bombay Grill Indian Cuisine shut down for 700+ rodent droppings in kitchen - ABC Action News - June 24th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- DNA from Egyptian mummies and Viking graves reveals how cats conquered the world - Popular Science - June 19th, 2017
- Philly nursing home has abysmal rating and rodents, too - Philly.com - June 12th, 2017
- Rat Mob! Rodents Swarm in Myanmar Villages - Live Science - June 8th, 2017
- Villagers fight back as rat hordes swarm Irrawaddy Delta's Ngapudaw - DVB (registration) - June 6th, 2017
- Minnesota sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner - THV 11 - June 6th, 2017
- My College Roommates Were Rats - The New Yorker - June 6th, 2017
- Thursday's best TV: Paula; The Truth About HIV; Jago: A Life ... - The Guardian - May 25th, 2017
- The Arizona Department of Economic Security Is Infested With Rats (Literally) - Phoenix New Times - May 20th, 2017
- MPI's Changes To Rodent Claim Policy Could Mean Lost Local Jobs ... - PembinaValleyOnline.com - May 1st, 2017
- Rodent Control and Removal Methods | Terminix - April 29th, 2017
- Long-time Atlanta restaurant fails second health inspection in seven months - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2017
- Burrowing rodents threaten Central Oregon canals - The Register-Guard - April 13th, 2017
- Former employee posts video of rats in Denison Little Caesar's - KXII-TV - April 13th, 2017
- San Francisco Cockroach Exterminator Bed Bug Rodent & Ant Pest Control Announced - MilTech - April 12th, 2017
- Digging rodents threaten canal safety in Central Oregon; Ground ... - Bend Bulletin - April 12th, 2017
- Rats! Infestation forces firefighters from Riverside South station ... - Ottawa Sun - April 3rd, 2017
- Exterminators tackle Riverside South fire station rats - Ottawa Citizen - April 3rd, 2017
- Massive amounts of trash are attracting rats and ruining this neighborhood - New York Post - April 3rd, 2017
- 'Swainsboro Apartments' Facing Major Rodent Problems That Are Going Unnoticed by Management - WJBF-TV - March 30th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Yahoo News - March 24th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Brandon Sun - March 23rd, 2017
- Rat Hunters in Paris Go on Strike to Demand Pay Raise - Heat Street - March 16th, 2017
- What killed owl at Forest Lawn? Maybe not what you think. - Buffalo News - March 5th, 2017