Sauntering along sidewalks and turning up dead in backyards, rats are an increasingly regular sight in theDanforth and Woodbine area, leading longtime residents to wonder what's brought so many of therodents to their neighbourhood.
"I had one come up in my basement toilet. Luckily I had the lid closed," said Carolynn Smith, who in 20 years at her house on Gledhill Avenue had never seen a rat until one drowned in her toilet last summer.
Paul Nielsen, who came home to a drowned rat in his basement apartment toiletlast summer, as well, had never seen one before either.
"I flushed it ten times to be sure it was well gone," he said in a message to CBC Toronto, explaining that he's trapped about four behind his workplace in the area since.
Tenants of a house in the area sent CBC Toronto this image of their recycling bin, chewed through by rats. They estimate they've seen rats about 20 times in their backyard since moving in last month. (Submitted by Lisa Grummitt)
Zach Mraovic, also a longtime resident, encountered his first rat when hetrapped one that had nested in his car's engine bay, adding that he'ssince seen them on driveways andsidewalks.
"It seems like it's increasing very steadily and a lot of people are concerned," said Mraovicwho, along with a number of other residents, traces the increase in rats to construction and sewer work in the area over the last few years.
"Ever since that construction took place they have had a crazy increase in that area," he said.
An extermination company and Coun.Janet Davis, whose ward includes the area,agree with the residents construction could very well be part of the explanation for the uptickin rats.
Davis pointed to two instancesof sewer construction in the area last summer as possible culprits.
Sewer work and other construction work that digs into the ground can send rats scurrying for new homes, explained Mike Heimbach of Abell Pest Control.
Paul Nielsen snapped this photo of a drowned rat in his toilet, which he discovered last summer. (Submitted by Paul Nielsen )
The same issue cropped up in the downtown core in 2014, when construction at Union Station displaced a large number of rats from longtime underground nests.
Also part of the equation though, said Heimbach, is the warmth of the last two winters in the GTA, which failed to kill off the typicalamount of rodents.
"Last year and this year we've seen an about 26-per-cent increase in calls for rats from new customers, especially in Ontario. A lot of it is weather-driven," he said.
Along with calling in exterminators, residents in the Danforth and Woodbine area have tried to tackle the problem themselves through snap traps and poison bait.
Alex Liakopoulos, the assistant store manager at a Home Depot close to the neighbourhood, said he first noticed sales of rodent traps and poison bait spiking in 2014.
Between 2013 and 2015, sales of traps rocketed up by nearly 60 per centat his storeand have continued to climb since, albeit at a more modest pace, he said.
Zach Mraovic used a snap trap in his engine bay to catch a rat that had been nesting there and chewing on wires. He spent $400 last summer on traps and bait stations. (Submitted by Zach Mraovic)
Mraovic, for one, has spent hundreds of dollars on products to deter rats from coming to his property, and he said his grandfather, who lives nearby, has successfully killed 25 rats in his backyard using snap traps.
Other people interviewed by CBC expressed concern about both kinds of rat deterrents, worried that curious pets could end up hurt or poisoned.
It was concern about what kind of trap to use that led Gina Mackenzie to call 311 after seeing a rat eating her birdseed two weeks ago, but she wasre-directed to a wilderness centre where she was unable to leave a message.
"I really was trying to get advice from the city," she said, describing the call as "useless."
Mraovic said that he had encouraged neighbours to call 311 to give the city a sense of the problem, but heard similar stories to Mackenzie's from those who tried.
"I have had multiple people who said 'I called 311 and they laughed at me,' 'I called 311 and they told me there's no way of recording this,'" he said.
A city spokesperson told CBC Toronto that they do not track the number of rats in the city or keep any rat statistics.
Toronto's approach to rats is spread out over several departments, city spokesperson Tammy Robbinsonsaid in an email.
City Parks staff watch for rises in rodents and hire exterminators as needed. Toronto Public Health investigates when a restaurant is involved. Exterminators are employed to keep the rat population in city facilities and squares under control.
Finally, Municipal Licensing and Standards is called in to investigate when property standards are an issue. For example, if a neighbour has a mound of garbage in thebackyard.
At Davis's request, Toronto Water staff put poison bait in two sections of sewer in the area last week to prevent more rats fromrelocating.
Davis said she understands why her constituents have been confused about where to turn for help, having had a difficult time of her own figuring out who to talk to atthe city.
Coun. Janet Davis told CBC Toronto she has contacted Toronto Water and asked that staff help the neighbourhood address the rat issue. (John Rieti/CBC)
"It doesn't fit neatly into one division," she said, adding that she'd like to seethe complaints recorded.
Mraovic alsowants to seea more organized pest-control effort from the city.
"There area lot of homeowners that are out money in terms of actually paying a pest-control company. It's just not acceptable," he said. "You'll never get rid of the problem but you can help regulate it."
See the article here:
From toilet bowls to car engines, rat sightings are up at Danforth and Woodbine - CBC.ca
- Rodent identification guide | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- Exterminator Rodents - September 10th, 2019
- How do exterminators get rid of mice? - My Homey Home - September 8th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminator | Rodent Removal | Rodent Exterminators - May 29th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminators | Rodent Control & Removal | Allgood ... - May 24th, 2019
- Rodents | Boca Raton Termite Extermination, Pest Control ... - May 24th, 2019
- Pest Control Sacramento | Top Exterminators | Golden Hills ... - May 12th, 2019
- Mouse Exterminator Cost - Fixr.com - March 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control in Milwaukee County, WI | Rodent Exterminator - March 16th, 2019
- Beeline Pest Control - March 12th, 2019
- Exterminators Get Rid of Rodents Attic Crawlspace Rats ... - March 7th, 2019
- Pest Control Albuquerque | Exterminator Albuquerque NM - February 9th, 2019
- Seattle Commercial Rodent Control Exterminators for Rats ... - September 29th, 2018
- What Odors Do Rodents Like? | Pest Control and Bug ... - September 29th, 2018
- Anaheim Mice Control - Anaheim Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Mice Control - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Norman Mice Control - Norman Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Rodents - Southold Pest Control and Exterminator - July 28th, 2018
- Rodents - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 7th, 2018
- Rodents In Memphis Tn | Rodents Exterminator - May 28th, 2018
- New Jersey Mice & Rodent Control | Exterminator For ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Mice, Rodent, and Rat Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - March 26th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control & Traps | Rodent Extermination Products ... - March 9th, 2018
- Rodent Control Exterminator - Hitmen Termite & Pest Control - January 25th, 2018
- Exterminator does the dirty work for rodent-besieged ... - January 7th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control, Traps, and Rodent Extermination ... - November 18th, 2017
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - October 28th, 2017
- Local rat population surging - The Daily Post - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - ProStar Pest ... - August 29th, 2017
- Couple's horror as plague of rats infests their car and EATS the engine while their other motor is littered with ... - The Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Flea Control, Treatment, and Prevention - Victoria Advocate - August 7th, 2017
- The number of rat infestations in Leicester is going up - Leicester Mercury - August 4th, 2017
- Employees say Jacksonville International Airport has major rat infestation - ActionNewsJax.com - August 4th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona - ABC2 News - August 2nd, 2017
- Calling the Pied Piper: Rats invade Petaluma - Petaluma Argus Courier - July 31st, 2017
- Feral cats in demand | Calaveras County's Most Trusted News ... - Calaveras Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- New York unveils $32-million fight vs rats - Inquirer.net - July 13th, 2017
- Mice seen as invading City Hall - Philly.com - Philly.com - July 13th, 2017
- Hartford residents speak out on unsafe, unhealthy living conditions ... - FOX 61 - July 12th, 2017
- North End Residents Organize Against Alleged Neglect By Landlord - Hartford Courant - July 11th, 2017
- Get Rid of Rodents | pest-control.com | pest-control.com - July 10th, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Alessi Bakery's rodent infestation evident by rodent ... - ABC Action News - July 8th, 2017
- 'They were nesting in my underpants' - John Woodhouse on the city's rodent issues - Stoke Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Bombay Grill Indian Cuisine shut down for 700+ rodent droppings in kitchen - ABC Action News - June 24th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- DNA from Egyptian mummies and Viking graves reveals how cats conquered the world - Popular Science - June 19th, 2017
- Philly nursing home has abysmal rating and rodents, too - Philly.com - June 12th, 2017
- Rat Mob! Rodents Swarm in Myanmar Villages - Live Science - June 8th, 2017
- Villagers fight back as rat hordes swarm Irrawaddy Delta's Ngapudaw - DVB (registration) - June 6th, 2017
- Minnesota sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner - THV 11 - June 6th, 2017
- My College Roommates Were Rats - The New Yorker - June 6th, 2017
- Thursday's best TV: Paula; The Truth About HIV; Jago: A Life ... - The Guardian - May 25th, 2017
- The Arizona Department of Economic Security Is Infested With Rats (Literally) - Phoenix New Times - May 20th, 2017
- MPI's Changes To Rodent Claim Policy Could Mean Lost Local Jobs ... - PembinaValleyOnline.com - May 1st, 2017
- Rodent Control and Removal Methods | Terminix - April 29th, 2017
- Long-time Atlanta restaurant fails second health inspection in seven months - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2017
- Burrowing rodents threaten Central Oregon canals - The Register-Guard - April 13th, 2017
- Former employee posts video of rats in Denison Little Caesar's - KXII-TV - April 13th, 2017
- San Francisco Cockroach Exterminator Bed Bug Rodent & Ant Pest Control Announced - MilTech - April 12th, 2017
- Digging rodents threaten canal safety in Central Oregon; Ground ... - Bend Bulletin - April 12th, 2017
- Rats! Infestation forces firefighters from Riverside South station ... - Ottawa Sun - April 3rd, 2017
- Exterminators tackle Riverside South fire station rats - Ottawa Citizen - April 3rd, 2017
- Massive amounts of trash are attracting rats and ruining this neighborhood - New York Post - April 3rd, 2017
- 'Swainsboro Apartments' Facing Major Rodent Problems That Are Going Unnoticed by Management - WJBF-TV - March 30th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Yahoo News - March 24th, 2017
- Gnawing costs force Manitoba Public Insurance to change rodent claim policy - Brandon Sun - March 23rd, 2017
- Rat Hunters in Paris Go on Strike to Demand Pay Raise - Heat Street - March 16th, 2017
- What killed owl at Forest Lawn? Maybe not what you think. - Buffalo News - March 5th, 2017
- What killed owl at Forest Lawn? Maybe not what you think. - The ... - Buffalo News - March 2nd, 2017
- Guardian Angels take up rat control as side gig - New York Post - March 2nd, 2017
- CIRCLING THE SQUARE: The Oscars were nothing compared to my squirrels - Wicked Local Danvers - March 2nd, 2017
- Tell me all you know about the rat! - Kokomo Herald (press release) - February 25th, 2017
- Don't bother petting these cats -- they're working - CBS News - February 24th, 2017
- 'The Cat That Changed America' premieres: Documentary stars Malibuites and local advocates - Malibu Surfside News (press release) (registration)... - February 21st, 2017
- College girls hailed for rat extermination genius - New York Post - February 17th, 2017
- Bed Bugs Found at Second DC Elementary School - NBC4 Washington - February 16th, 2017
- Paris fights rat infestation - WSYR - February 16th, 2017
- Notorious slumlord owns building with disease-carrying rats - New York Post - February 16th, 2017
- Rodent-ridden Bronx building at center of urine plague becomes Health Department battleground - New York Daily News - February 16th, 2017
- The US Army vet, IDF volunteer, now in Congress - Jewish Journal - February 8th, 2017