It may seem strange but lockdowns and stay-at-home orders are leading to a rodent problem. The closure of many businesses such as restaurants and grocery stores is impacting rats, and what is scary is that these rats are waging their own battle to survive during the COVID-19 pandemic and some are turning into cannibals.
They're mammals just like you and I, and so when youre really, really hungry, youre not going to act the same youre going to act very bad, usually. So these rats are fighting with one another, now the adults are killing the young in the nest and cannibalizing the pups, Dr Bobby Corrigan, an urban rodentologist, told NBC News.
Dr Corrigan also tweeted, COVID19: Rats Jumping Ship: The USS RatGravy Train. W/O the once-daily/dependable, nutritious, & quick-hit garbage (i.e., Rat's Trifecta), some panicked rat populations carrying their own issues are in-fighting/killing, dispersing openly, & invading bldgs under door gaps.
Rats usually feed off garbage from restaurants. According to the expert, once colonies of rats lose their established food source such as trash cans outside restaurants or popular public places with lots of litter and garbage they will start fighting over any food that is left. And when hungry rats move to areas where food is still available, it is a war. Some rats will kill and eat their own in a desperate bid to survive.
It's just like we've seen in the history of mankind, where people try to take over lands and they come in with militaries and armies and fight to the death, literally, for whos going to conquer that land. And that's what happens with rats. A new army of rats come in, and whichever army has the strongest rats is going to conquer that area, said Corrigan.
He added, A restaurant all of a sudden closes now, which has happened by the thousands in not just New York City but coast to coast and around the world, and those rats that were living by that restaurant, someplace nearby, and perhaps for decades having generations of rats that depended on that restaurant food, well, life is no longer working for them, and they only have a couple of choices. These choices include cannibalism, rat battles, and infanticide.
According to one expert, as rats turn to cannibalism to survive, it may lead to a more aggressive rat breed in the future. Rats breed quickly, with a 23-day pregnancy period. Those smarter, more aggressive rats could produce a more resilient group of rats searching for food in any way they can, Michael H Parsons, a biological sciences research scholar at Fordham University, told Insider.
Increased rat sightings are already being reported. The French Quarter in New Orleans, for example, recently had rats wandering its streets. Claudia Riegel, Director, City of New Orleans Mosquito Termite and Rodent Control Board, told the media, With the businesses being shut down, these rats are hungry. She warned that people should not leave their pet food outside and that they should handle their trash properly.
New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell also said that lockdowns are driving our rodents crazy. Cantrell said she is concerned about these rodents entering homeless camps. And what rodents do (is that) they will find food and water. That puts our streets homeless in a dire state, she said.
Cantrell also posted, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you to everyone in the exterminator community in New Orleans! Your service is essential 365 days of the year and we appreciate you. Claudia Riegel, our Director of the Citys Mosquito, Termite and Rodent Control Board is using this time while residents are staying home to hit commercial areas hard with pest control. You see her and team here baiting Bourbon Street yet this will happen all over NOLA. This is one example of why its essential to clean up our neighborhoods.
In Washington DC, a new program is enlisting cats to help with the growing rat problem. The city has received close to 500 calls in the last 30 days regarding rodents, according to data till April 14.
Meanwhile, with the streets deserted, and as these urban rat colonies disperse and start looking for food, they could also come knocking at your door, warn experts. They can cause damage inside houses, and can also spread disease.
Dr Corrigan told BBC that rats are formidable mammals and hungry rats can travel quite a distance and end up in a different neighborhood completely that had no rats prior. They are very good at sniffing out sources of food, and their powerful teeth can make short work of barriers like doors, plastics, or fabrics. They're global, theyre everywhere, and they didn't get to be completely global if they weren't very skilled at being masters of adaptation, he said.
However, Dr Corrigan says that people should not panic. There's no one behavior that's going to fit all. This is not going to be a case where all of a sudden the rats are doing invasions everywhere, and it's not going to be exactly as we saw on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, he told NBC News.
Rats are officially associated with about 55 different pathogens, says the BBC. But there have been no reports of rats carrying the COVID-19 virus.
During the briefing, Riegel also said that there are pathogens in these rodents, but fortunately one does not see many of the health outcomes, and there are not many disease cases that are related to rodents. But the potential is there, she added.
Accordingly, say experts, it is a good idea to use a pest control specialist. If you don't check them with those (pest control) tools, they can be the ones that end up inside somebody's home or bedroom or with children or inside a nursing home or hospital," Dr Corrigan told BBC.
Jim Fredericks, the chief entomologist for the National Pest Management Association, told National Geographic that while people think of pest control as a luxury or pests being just a nuisance, many are a threat to public health, as well as the food supply. If rodents are hungry enough to move into new places to search for food, they are also likely hungry enough to take bait from traps, he said.
- Home Pest Control Services | Call an Exterminator | Orkin - September 12th, 2020
- DaBaby and Quavo Mess With a Magic Smartphone in "Pick Up" Visual - HYPEBEAST - September 9th, 2020
- Nowhere to live in Bedford County: One woman's battle with rats, bugs - Shelbyville Times-Gazette - September 6th, 2020
- When Canada's big city rats were enjoying the summer weather in 2001 - CBC.ca - August 23rd, 2020
- 14 Best Pest Control Companies - Newark NJ | Exterminators - July 12th, 2020
- Pest Control for Rodents | Get Rid of Rats and Mice - July 12th, 2020
- Rats Adapt To A World In Pandemic Mode - Here And Now - May 19th, 2020
- Edinburgh's rat population is 'out of control' with rodents gathering in gardens - Edinburgh Live - April 21st, 2020
- Rats on the rise as shutdown cuts their food supply - Tweed Daily News - April 6th, 2020
- Guide to Cockroaches, Bed Bugs and Rodents in Paterson NJ - Patch.com - February 26th, 2020
- Rodent Exterminator - 54 Photos & 14 Reviews - Pest ... - February 21st, 2020
- Owners of rat-infested home on near west side fined - The State Journal-Register - February 6th, 2020
- Fort Pierce wants to keep temporary animal shelter open through June - TCPalm - January 22nd, 2020
- Rodents in the attic: Beware of winter fire dangers - The Mountaineer - December 6th, 2019
- New theories emerge to explain dead rats washed up in Westport - RNZ - November 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Rats, & Other Rodents in Your Shed - October 20th, 2019
- Patton Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator Services ... - October 4th, 2019
- Rodent identification guide | Western Exterminator - September 10th, 2019
- Exterminator Rodents - September 10th, 2019
- How do exterminators get rid of mice? - My Homey Home - September 8th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminator | Rodent Removal | Rodent Exterminators - May 29th, 2019
- Rodent Exterminators | Rodent Control & Removal | Allgood ... - May 24th, 2019
- Rodents | Boca Raton Termite Extermination, Pest Control ... - May 24th, 2019
- Pest Control Sacramento | Top Exterminators | Golden Hills ... - May 12th, 2019
- Mouse Exterminator Cost - Fixr.com - March 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control in Milwaukee County, WI | Rodent Exterminator - March 16th, 2019
- Beeline Pest Control - March 12th, 2019
- Exterminators Get Rid of Rodents Attic Crawlspace Rats ... - March 7th, 2019
- Pest Control Albuquerque | Exterminator Albuquerque NM - February 9th, 2019
- Seattle Commercial Rodent Control Exterminators for Rats ... - September 29th, 2018
- What Odors Do Rodents Like? | Pest Control and Bug ... - September 29th, 2018
- Anaheim Mice Control - Anaheim Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Peoria Mice Control - Peoria Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Norman Mice Control - Norman Pest Control Pros - September 29th, 2018
- Rodents - Southold Pest Control and Exterminator - July 28th, 2018
- Rodents - Manhasset Pest Control and Exterminator - June 7th, 2018
- Rodents In Memphis Tn | Rodents Exterminator - May 28th, 2018
- New Jersey Mice & Rodent Control | Exterminator For ... - April 23rd, 2018
- Mice, Rodent, and Rat Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - March 26th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control & Traps | Rodent Extermination Products ... - March 9th, 2018
- Rodent Control Exterminator - Hitmen Termite & Pest Control - January 25th, 2018
- Exterminator does the dirty work for rodent-besieged ... - January 7th, 2018
- DIY Rodent Control, Traps, and Rodent Extermination ... - November 18th, 2017
- #1 Pest Control in Chicago, Illinois! Top Exterminator for ... - October 28th, 2017
- Local rat population surging - The Daily Post - September 5th, 2017
- Pest Control Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - ProStar Pest ... - August 29th, 2017
- Couple's horror as plague of rats infests their car and EATS the engine while their other motor is littered with ... - The Sun - August 26th, 2017
- Flea Control, Treatment, and Prevention - Victoria Advocate - August 7th, 2017
- The number of rat infestations in Leicester is going up - Leicester Mercury - August 4th, 2017
- Employees say Jacksonville International Airport has major rat infestation - ActionNewsJax.com - August 4th, 2017
- Creepy creature a mix between spider, scorpion; native to Arizona - ABC2 News - August 2nd, 2017
- Calling the Pied Piper: Rats invade Petaluma - Petaluma Argus Courier - July 31st, 2017
- Feral cats in demand | Calaveras County's Most Trusted News ... - Calaveras Enterprise - July 31st, 2017
- New York unveils $32-million fight vs rats - Inquirer.net - July 13th, 2017
- Mice seen as invading City Hall - Philly.com - Philly.com - July 13th, 2017
- Hartford residents speak out on unsafe, unhealthy living conditions ... - FOX 61 - July 12th, 2017
- North End Residents Organize Against Alleged Neglect By Landlord - Hartford Courant - July 11th, 2017
- Get Rid of Rodents | pest-control.com | pest-control.com - July 10th, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Alessi Bakery's rodent infestation evident by rodent ... - ABC Action News - July 8th, 2017
- From toilet bowls to car engines, rat sightings are up at Danforth and Woodbine - CBC.ca - July 3rd, 2017
- 'They were nesting in my underpants' - John Woodhouse on the city's rodent issues - Stoke Sentinel - July 2nd, 2017
- Dirty Dining: Bombay Grill Indian Cuisine shut down for 700+ rodent droppings in kitchen - ABC Action News - June 24th, 2017
- How a Joke About Flying Squirrels Led to an Ailing Woman's Cure - New York Times - June 22nd, 2017
- DNA from Egyptian mummies and Viking graves reveals how cats conquered the world - Popular Science - June 19th, 2017
- Philly nursing home has abysmal rating and rodents, too - Philly.com - June 12th, 2017
- Rat Mob! Rodents Swarm in Myanmar Villages - Live Science - June 8th, 2017
- Villagers fight back as rat hordes swarm Irrawaddy Delta's Ngapudaw - DVB (registration) - June 6th, 2017
- Minnesota sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner - THV 11 - June 6th, 2017
- My College Roommates Were Rats - The New Yorker - June 6th, 2017
- Thursday's best TV: Paula; The Truth About HIV; Jago: A Life ... - The Guardian - May 25th, 2017
- The Arizona Department of Economic Security Is Infested With Rats (Literally) - Phoenix New Times - May 20th, 2017
- MPI's Changes To Rodent Claim Policy Could Mean Lost Local Jobs ... - PembinaValleyOnline.com - May 1st, 2017
- Rodent Control and Removal Methods | Terminix - April 29th, 2017
- Long-time Atlanta restaurant fails second health inspection in seven months - WSB Atlanta - April 19th, 2017
- Burrowing rodents threaten Central Oregon canals - The Register-Guard - April 13th, 2017
- Former employee posts video of rats in Denison Little Caesar's - KXII-TV - April 13th, 2017
- San Francisco Cockroach Exterminator Bed Bug Rodent & Ant Pest Control Announced - MilTech - April 12th, 2017
- Digging rodents threaten canal safety in Central Oregon; Ground ... - Bend Bulletin - April 12th, 2017
- Rats! Infestation forces firefighters from Riverside South station ... - Ottawa Sun - April 3rd, 2017
- Exterminators tackle Riverside South fire station rats - Ottawa Citizen - April 3rd, 2017