The worst has happened, and youve suddenly found your home infested with cockroaches. Youve called the exterminator, and theyve come in, sprayed and baited and done their thing. But what happens next? Here is what to expect after an exterminator sprays for roaches.
Do not clean! Cleaning treatment areas, especially deep cleaning, can interfere with the exterminators treatment. You can do some light cleaning in the case of spills or similar messes and you can wipe up any visible dust with a damp paper towel. However, if possible, you should wait 5-10 days after treatment to do any thorough cleaning.
This doesnt mean you should not clean anywhere. You should thoroughly clean your eating surfaces and any dishes or silverware left out prior to the exterminators arrival. Just avoid cleaning the treated parts of your home (e.g., baseboards). You dont want to undo all that hard work! You should also keep your eating areas clean so that the roaches are attracted to the baits, not your leftover dinner. Similarly, keep sinks and bathtubs as dry as possible. The cockroaches will die more quickly without access to water.
This is common. Do not spray or use a bug bomb! This can interfere with the exterminators treatment and cause any remaining roaches to scatter away from the bomb, possibly causing an infestation in areas of your home where roaches were not previously seen. You can vacuum up the ones you see if you just cant stand them, but dont use any chemical controls.
You can expect to see roaches for a few weeks, even in the daytime, which you may not have seen before. This is because the treatment confuses the roaches, and their normal habits are disrupted.
They will usually be walking slowly, as they are dying. The number of dead roaches you see will eventually decrease as time goes on. Be sure to clean up the carcasses as you see them and keep track of problem areas. You can vacuum up the carcasses or collect them individually with a tissue and flush them down the toilet.
Yes, this is also perfectly normal. The life cycle of the German cockroach (the most common cockroach pest in homes and businesses) is about 100 days from egg to nymph to adult. The babies you are seeing are the nymphs.
At the time of treatment, the babies were likely still in their egg form a normal cockroach egg sac can contain up to 40 eggs but not to worry! The nymphs are hungry and will eat anything they can including the bait and dead adults, which are poisoned themselves. They wont be exempt from the exterminators treatment!
Dont panic it takes approximately 2 weeks for all the roaches to be flushed out. Severe infestations may require a second treatment your exterminator will let you know if this may be needed.
Continue to do light cleaning as mentioned above (keep eating areas clean, dont leave out food or food waste, keep sinks and bathtubs dry). If they are finding food and water sources, it will take longer for them to die.
Keep paper and cardboard tucked away, and most importantly, away from the kitchen, especially if its wet. Wet paper products contain both food and water that cockroaches need to survive, so get rid of it ideally in sealed bags outside, away from the immediate vicinity of the home.
Although it is unlikely that roaches will come back, it is possible. This is most common in living situations where people are housed close together, such as in apartments, garden-style houses, and neighborhoods where houses are not spaced very far apart. Its a good idea to talk to your neighbors, and check to see if they are experiencing problems as well. Roaches can migrate in after your successful treatment.
Even if you do everything right, roaches can find a way back into your life again. There are many ways this can happen; after all, roaches survive best with people.
Roaches can be brought back into your home through a garage sale and flea market finds.
Careful inspection with a flashlight can often tell if your new-found treasure is contaminated, but if you are unsure, you can leave it outdoors in full sunlight for a full day. Or, if the item is small, it can be placed in the freezer in a plastic bag for a day if any hitchhikers were present, theyll be dead inside the bag.
Sometimes even cans and beverages from the store can carry an unwanted invader. The corrugated cardboard boxes that everything is shipped in are the perfect breeding ground for roaches. Most stores you are likely to shop at work hard to keep their stores roach-free, but many get shipments in from all over the world, so it does happen from time to time. As soon as you get home, clean your cans and bottles before putting them away in the pantry, just to be safe.
Moving from place to place in or out can also bring along roaches. Wrapping clean clothing and belongings in plastic can help, but as we mentioned before cardboard boxes are a favorite habitat.
If youve seen one or two but arent really sure if they are holdouts from the treatment or new roaches arriving, you can set simple sticky traps in cabinets under the sink, or wherever roaches are typically seen. It will be obvious if there is a continued problem, or if you simply caught a couple of strays. In any case, make note of the location, and keep an eye on it.
If you are still experiencing a roach problem after 6 months, it is a good idea to contact your exterminator and find out what is happening with another inspection.
The rest is here:
What to Expect After a Roach Exterminator Treatment ...
- Cockroaches Don't Stand A Chance With This Orange County Exterminator - StreetInsider.com - February 25th, 2020
- News5 Investigates Bedbugs thriving in Colorado, find them before they find you Patrick Nelson 4:24 - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - February 19th, 2020
- How Do Exterminators Get Rid of Roaches? | INSECT COP - February 5th, 2020
- Here's What Really Kills CockroachesAnd What Doesn't - Reader's Digest - December 20th, 2019
- Over 120,000 Bees Discovered In LI Home - Patch.com - December 16th, 2019
- From Avocation To Vocation: How I Turned My Hobby Into A Career With Robiar Robi Smith of RB Pest Solutions - Thrive Global - December 3rd, 2019
- Cockroaches And What You Should Do If You Have Them - Times Square Chronicles - November 28th, 2019
- Cockroach Facts: 10 Facinating Facts about Roaches - October 21st, 2019
- TERMINIX PEST CONTROL PRICES - Exterminator Prices - October 13th, 2019
- Home Pest Control and Exterminators | Angie's List - October 2nd, 2019
- 5 Best Ways to Get Rid Of Roaches | Terminix - September 8th, 2019
- How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost? | Angie's List - May 21st, 2019
- Cockroach control - Western Exterminator - May 21st, 2019
- Pest Control Columbia SC | Cayce Exterminating Company - May 20th, 2019
- Cockroach Pest Control & Extermination: Arrow Exterminators - May 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Roaches without an Exterminator - April 19th, 2019
- Exterminator sprayed for roaches, how long till they die ... - April 1st, 2019
- When to call an exterminator for cockroaches? (Detailed ... - February 27th, 2019
- Exterminator Ossining NY & Westchester County Pest Control ... - February 26th, 2019
- Cockroach Control - Get Rid of Roaches - February 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of German Roaches Without an Exterminator - February 20th, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Roaches Without An Exterminator 7 Home ... - February 4th, 2019
- Bed Bug Treatment Tips from a Professional Exterminator - February 2nd, 2019
- Phoenix AZ Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - February 1st, 2019
- What Kills Cockroaches Instantly: 4 Things to Kill ... - January 25th, 2019
- Roach Exterminator NJ | Pest Control New Jersey - December 12th, 2018
- 2018 Average Cockroach Extermination Costs: How Much Does ... - November 21st, 2018
- Cost to Hire a Roach Exterminator - Estimates and Prices ... - November 15th, 2018
- Exterminator How to Get Rid of Roaches - October 2nd, 2018
- Cockroaches Control Without Exterminator - pestwiki.com - September 5th, 2018
- Cockroaches - Roach Killer, Roach Control & Extermination ... - May 26th, 2018
- My Pest Control Aurora CO - Bed Bug Exterminator Denver CO - February 14th, 2018
- How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost? - Networx - February 4th, 2018
- Roaches | Pest Control Company in Tampa - February 1st, 2018
- Cockroach Control - Get Rid of Roaches - Orkin.com - January 21st, 2018
- How To Get Rid of Roaches | Kill Roaches - October 17th, 2017
- Baby Roaches (Pictures): 9 Simple Ways to Get Rid of It ... - September 25th, 2017
- How to get rid of roaches - Fast and Forever ... - Stop Pest! - September 20th, 2017
- Roaches, dead and alive, shut down 4 Miami area restaurants and get 14 others cited - Miami Herald - August 28th, 2017
- Hotel promised to rehabilitate residents. Instead, they faced bedbugs, drugs, vermin. - Charlotte Observer - August 25th, 2017
- Roaches cause temporary mail suspension - WGRZ-TV - August 19th, 2017
- Readers' Vent: Aug. 17, 2017 - Charleston Gazette-Mail (subscription) - August 18th, 2017
- The difference between fearing, hating bugs - Maryville Daily Forum - August 9th, 2017
- News Center 7 investigation uncovers history of insects at Dayton restaurant - Dayton Daily News - August 5th, 2017
- Here are some pest tips - Valencia County News Bulletin - August 4th, 2017
- Jaxon Social to remain closed after more live roaches found - ActionNewsJax.com - July 31st, 2017
- Residents Question Conditions in Apartments Across Hartford | NBC ... - NBC Connecticut - July 12th, 2017
- Roaches, rodent droppings close area restaurants - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather - wflx - July 3rd, 2017
- Every surface I look at I see bugs: Man's BMW infested with cockroaches after parking at airport - fox6now.com - July 2nd, 2017
- Falmouth restaurant ordered shut down because of cockroach infestation - Cape Cod Times (subscription) - June 29th, 2017
- Roaches crash 40-year high school class reunion in DC - W*USA 9 - June 29th, 2017
- Man Shocked To Find Cockroach Infestation In His BMW - WLWT Cincinnati - June 29th, 2017
- Area Chinese and Mexican restaurants among 30+ in Florida forced to close after health inspections - WPTV.com - June 28th, 2017
- Restaurant inspections June 26, 2017 - The Herald-Times (subscription) - June 26th, 2017
- Aurora Pest Control Pros Expand Their Service Area - Digital Journal - June 21st, 2017
- Live roach found again at Cobb eatery still passes health check - Atlanta Journal Constitution - June 15th, 2017
- HUD officials: Essex Village improvements underway - Richmond Free Press - June 9th, 2017
- Roach crawls out during interview with owner who denies insects ... - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- 2 Stocks and 1 Sector We're Watching in the Second Quarter ... - Madison.com - June 6th, 2017
- In nature, cockroaches don't die belly up | TODAYonline - TODAYonline - May 30th, 2017
- PEST CONTROL KINGS IN PHILADELPHIA - Press Release ... - Digital Journal - May 26th, 2017
- Cost Effective Pest Control Program for Homes in Seattle Launched - MENAFN.COM - May 23rd, 2017
- Veteran covered in scabs, says apartment overrun with mites but property managers won't help - FOX31 Denver - May 23rd, 2017
- What's next? Having cleared out 886 abandoned houses, South Bend must decide what to do with hundreds of vacant ... - Vincennes Sun Commercial - May 19th, 2017
- Signs that your home needs a Pest Control - Punjab News Express - May 18th, 2017
- The Cost to Seattle Commercial Businesses Attacked By Cockroaches. - MENAFN.COM - May 17th, 2017
- Having cleared out abandoned homes, South Bend must decide what's next - South Bend Tribune - May 15th, 2017
- NEW: Palm Beach Skate Zone cafe, Delray bagel shop cited for roaches - MyPalmBeachPost - May 10th, 2017
- DC Sues a Florida-Based Landlord for Neglecting a Columbia Heights Building - Washington City Paper - May 4th, 2017
- ROACHES - Bengal - May 1st, 2017
- Local renters allege wrongdoing, harassment - Manchestertimes - April 30th, 2017
- The Best Roach Killer In 2017 How To Kill Roaches In ... - April 27th, 2017
- FAGERLUND: Need help to stop 'bugging'? - Rio Rancho Observer - April 23rd, 2017
- Four Seasons, two other restaurants cited for live roaches - Palm Beach Daily News - April 21st, 2017
- Here's why your PS4 is a good roach motel - GameZone - April 19th, 2017
- Inspectors cite Four Seasons, Burger King, Lola's Seafood for roaches - Palm Beach Post (blog) - April 19th, 2017
- Four Seasons, Burger King, Lola's cited for live roaches - Palm Beach Post - April 18th, 2017
- 3 Ways to Kill German Roaches - wikiHow - April 12th, 2017
- 2 Bay County restaurants closed because of roach activity - Walton Sun - April 7th, 2017
- UVA residents complain about pest, mold problems, despite recent renovations - University Press - March 31st, 2017