The Red Hook Houses in Brooklyn (Credit: Jim.henderson via Wikipedia)
A class-action lawsuit against the New York City Housing Authority accuses the beleaguered agency of creating deplorable living conditions for its more than 400,000 tenants across the five boroughs.
The suit, filed Wednesday by law firm Berg & Androphy, claims NYCHA residents are facing a litany of problems including lengthy gas shutdowns, mold, leaks, broken elevators and rodent and bug infestations. Their requests to have NYCHA fix these problems are generally answered slowly or not at all, according to the firm.
NYCHA which has seen its share of public scrutiny and lawsuits over living conditions in January said its estimated cost for repairs has ballooned to $40 billion. Thats up from $32 billion in 2018.
The latest lawsuits main argument is that these issues constitute violations of the contracts and laws that govern NYCHA housing, including the agencys lease agreements with its residents.
Although these developments were, when built, models of affordable public housing, NYCHA has failed in its responsibilities to tenants and allowed the NYCHA developments to fall into disrepair, rendering such housing unsanitary, dangerous and, at times, uninhabitable, the complaint reads.
The lawsuit defines the class as everyone who lives in a NYCHA building or has lived in one within the past six years. It names three individual tenants as plaintiffs: Latisha McGriff, Ricardo Reed and Claresa Ward. McGriff and Ward live in the Red Hook West NYCHA development and Reed lives in Red Hook East.
McGriff has lived in Red Hook West for 11 years and has been dealing with a leaky roof and problems with her front door lock since 2017, according to the lawsuit. She has had a recurring problem with mice in her apartment as well. NYCHA was unable to quickly send an exterminator, so she went to stay with her sister for two weeks and ultimately paid for some of the fixes herself, the suit says. There are still mice in her home, according to the suit.
Problems at Reeds apartment include a fuse box that has been broken since 2016 and a chronic leak behind his kitchen cabinets, according to the lawsuit. The suit also claims that NYCHA employees often fail to show up for scheduled repair appointments and that the elevators in his building constantly reek of urine.
Ricardo has asked NYCHA to look at security camera footage to determine who was urinating in the elevators, the suit reads, but NYCHA informed him that the footage had not been retained.
Ward has been dealing with problems such as multiple bathroom leaks, sparking electrical outlets and severe problems with roaches and mice that she has been unable to solve, according to the lawsuit.
Since Claresa moved into her apartment, she has had problems with mice, the suit reads. Accordingly, she bought a cat, which kills three to five mice each day. However, there are so many mice that the cat is not enough to remedy the problem.
The lawsuit seeks rent abatements and additional damages for the NYCHA tenants.
NYCHA deputy press secretary Rochel Leah Goldblatt said that the agency will review the complaint when we receive it.
The housing agency has been dealing with several major problems in recent years. It entered into a consent decree with the Department of Justice in 2018 in which it acknowledged responsibility for unsafe living conditions and making false statements about them to the public and federal inspectors.
In recent years, NYCHA has explored privatizing the management of its units. Most recently, it struck a $1.5 billion deal with five development teams including L+M Development Partners, Hudson Companies and Settlement Housing Fund to take over management of seven complexes with 5,908 units.
It has faced multiple recent class-action lawsuits as well over accusations ranging from lead paint inspections to widespread heat outages.
But Berg & Androphy partner Jenny Kim, who filed this weeks lawsuit, said it stood out from others because it centers on the agencys violation of leases.
We found that NYCHA has persistently and continuously breached the lease agreements, she said. These are contractual promises that were made to the tenants.
The suit also takes a broader look at NYCHA issues than the agency is used to seeing, she said.
Our lawsuit is all-encompassing, Kim said. Were not just talking about the lack of heat and hot water. Were not just talking about lead paint exposure. Were talking about all of it. Its everything that has caused our clients to live in indecent, unsanitary and unlivable homes.
Read the original:
NYCHA hit with class action alleging deplorable conditions - The Real Deal
- Pest Control Richmond Hill Exterminator, a Top-Rated Pest Service in the York Region of Richmond Hill, ON Announces They are Fully Operational During... - July 7th, 2020
- How To Get Rid of Roaches in Your Home - Home Remedy to Kill Cockroaches Fast - Country Living - June 24th, 2020
- Rick's List - The Unbearable Similarities Between Bugs and Unasked-for Emails Edition - theday.com - June 20th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Get Rid Of Cockroaches - New York Magazine - May 27th, 2020
- Brilliant ways to rid your kitchen of cockroaches - The Standard - April 26th, 2020
- Daily Dish: Time for the IIHF to Crush the Cockroach? - JuniorHockey.com - April 26th, 2020
- 10 Creepy Bug Movies That Make Our Skin Crawl | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - April 13th, 2020
- Advion Cockroach Gel Bait: The Cockroach ... - Pest Control - March 31st, 2020
- Roaches Guides - Pest Control Hacks by Nicholas Martin - March 31st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Roaches - How to Kill Cockroaches and Stop an Infestation - GoodHousekeeping.com - March 31st, 2020
- Roach Exterminator & Cockroach Exterminator NJ - March 17th, 2020
- News5 Investigates Bedbugs thriving in Colorado, find them before they find you Patrick Nelson 4:24 - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - February 19th, 2020
- How Do Exterminators Get Rid of Roaches? | INSECT COP - February 5th, 2020
- Here's What Really Kills CockroachesAnd What Doesn't - Reader's Digest - December 20th, 2019
- Over 120,000 Bees Discovered In LI Home - Patch.com - December 16th, 2019
- From Avocation To Vocation: How I Turned My Hobby Into A Career With Robiar Robi Smith of RB Pest Solutions - Thrive Global - December 3rd, 2019
- Cockroaches And What You Should Do If You Have Them - Times Square Chronicles - November 28th, 2019
- Cockroach Facts: 10 Facinating Facts about Roaches - October 21st, 2019
- TERMINIX PEST CONTROL PRICES - Exterminator Prices - October 13th, 2019
- Home Pest Control and Exterminators | Angie's List - October 2nd, 2019
- What to Expect After a Roach Exterminator Treatment ... - September 10th, 2019
- 5 Best Ways to Get Rid Of Roaches | Terminix - September 8th, 2019
- How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost? | Angie's List - May 21st, 2019
- Cockroach control - Western Exterminator - May 21st, 2019
- Pest Control Columbia SC | Cayce Exterminating Company - May 20th, 2019
- Cockroach Pest Control & Extermination: Arrow Exterminators - May 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Roaches without an Exterminator - April 19th, 2019
- Exterminator sprayed for roaches, how long till they die ... - April 1st, 2019
- When to call an exterminator for cockroaches? (Detailed ... - February 27th, 2019
- Exterminator Ossining NY & Westchester County Pest Control ... - February 26th, 2019
- Cockroach Control - Get Rid of Roaches - February 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of German Roaches Without an Exterminator - February 20th, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Roaches Without An Exterminator 7 Home ... - February 4th, 2019
- Bed Bug Treatment Tips from a Professional Exterminator - February 2nd, 2019
- Phoenix AZ Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - February 1st, 2019
- What Kills Cockroaches Instantly: 4 Things to Kill ... - January 25th, 2019
- Roach Exterminator NJ | Pest Control New Jersey - December 12th, 2018
- 2018 Average Cockroach Extermination Costs: How Much Does ... - November 21st, 2018
- Cost to Hire a Roach Exterminator - Estimates and Prices ... - November 15th, 2018
- Exterminator How to Get Rid of Roaches - October 2nd, 2018
- Cockroaches Control Without Exterminator - pestwiki.com - September 5th, 2018
- Cockroaches - Roach Killer, Roach Control & Extermination ... - May 26th, 2018
- My Pest Control Aurora CO - Bed Bug Exterminator Denver CO - February 14th, 2018
- How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost? - Networx - February 4th, 2018
- Roaches | Pest Control Company in Tampa - February 1st, 2018
- Cockroach Control - Get Rid of Roaches - Orkin.com - January 21st, 2018
- How To Get Rid of Roaches | Kill Roaches - October 17th, 2017
- Baby Roaches (Pictures): 9 Simple Ways to Get Rid of It ... - September 25th, 2017
- How to get rid of roaches - Fast and Forever ... - Stop Pest! - September 20th, 2017
- Roaches, dead and alive, shut down 4 Miami area restaurants and get 14 others cited - Miami Herald - August 28th, 2017
- Hotel promised to rehabilitate residents. Instead, they faced bedbugs, drugs, vermin. - Charlotte Observer - August 25th, 2017
- Roaches cause temporary mail suspension - WGRZ-TV - August 19th, 2017
- Readers' Vent: Aug. 17, 2017 - Charleston Gazette-Mail (subscription) - August 18th, 2017
- The difference between fearing, hating bugs - Maryville Daily Forum - August 9th, 2017
- News Center 7 investigation uncovers history of insects at Dayton restaurant - Dayton Daily News - August 5th, 2017
- Here are some pest tips - Valencia County News Bulletin - August 4th, 2017
- Jaxon Social to remain closed after more live roaches found - ActionNewsJax.com - July 31st, 2017
- Residents Question Conditions in Apartments Across Hartford | NBC ... - NBC Connecticut - July 12th, 2017
- Roaches, rodent droppings close area restaurants - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather - wflx - July 3rd, 2017
- Every surface I look at I see bugs: Man's BMW infested with cockroaches after parking at airport - fox6now.com - July 2nd, 2017
- Falmouth restaurant ordered shut down because of cockroach infestation - Cape Cod Times (subscription) - June 29th, 2017
- Roaches crash 40-year high school class reunion in DC - W*USA 9 - June 29th, 2017
- Man Shocked To Find Cockroach Infestation In His BMW - WLWT Cincinnati - June 29th, 2017
- Area Chinese and Mexican restaurants among 30+ in Florida forced to close after health inspections - WPTV.com - June 28th, 2017
- Restaurant inspections June 26, 2017 - The Herald-Times (subscription) - June 26th, 2017
- Aurora Pest Control Pros Expand Their Service Area - Digital Journal - June 21st, 2017
- Live roach found again at Cobb eatery still passes health check - Atlanta Journal Constitution - June 15th, 2017
- HUD officials: Essex Village improvements underway - Richmond Free Press - June 9th, 2017
- Roach crawls out during interview with owner who denies insects ... - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- 2 Stocks and 1 Sector We're Watching in the Second Quarter ... - Madison.com - June 6th, 2017
- In nature, cockroaches don't die belly up | TODAYonline - TODAYonline - May 30th, 2017
- PEST CONTROL KINGS IN PHILADELPHIA - Press Release ... - Digital Journal - May 26th, 2017
- Cost Effective Pest Control Program for Homes in Seattle Launched - MENAFN.COM - May 23rd, 2017
- Veteran covered in scabs, says apartment overrun with mites but property managers won't help - FOX31 Denver - May 23rd, 2017
- What's next? Having cleared out 886 abandoned houses, South Bend must decide what to do with hundreds of vacant ... - Vincennes Sun Commercial - May 19th, 2017
- Signs that your home needs a Pest Control - Punjab News Express - May 18th, 2017
- The Cost to Seattle Commercial Businesses Attacked By Cockroaches. - MENAFN.COM - May 17th, 2017
- Having cleared out abandoned homes, South Bend must decide what's next - South Bend Tribune - May 15th, 2017
- NEW: Palm Beach Skate Zone cafe, Delray bagel shop cited for roaches - MyPalmBeachPost - May 10th, 2017
- DC Sues a Florida-Based Landlord for Neglecting a Columbia Heights Building - Washington City Paper - May 4th, 2017