Cockroaches are one of the most difficult enemy insects for humans to fight. Scientists have proved that these small creatures can survive a nuclear attack and all the disasters the Earth has ever seen. While this is true for cockroaches, in general, exterminating them in a particular house is accomplishable. Youll have to work hard though as a single product will barely help you.
We recommend using a complex approach when fighting roaches. Such an approach comprises a whole variety of steps and actions; from keeping your house constantly clean to using effective roach killers, sprays, repellents, and traps. We have picked the best cockroach control products for those whose accommodation is constantly attacked by these pests. But before moving on to this lets first get to know better the antagonist of todays article.
Table of Contents:
Anyone who has ever encountered cockroach infestation faced the same problem. At first you win the fight and exterminate the insects completely, and after some time their smug faces reappear in the same spots as before. Such comebacks occur with different periodicity: the infestation may relapse monthly, every six months or annually. Why does this happen?
Our apprehension is caused by the lack of knowledge about cockroaches and their behavior. Here are some facts which will arm you with valuable knowledge against these whiskered pests.
1. Cockroaches love wet and damp places. They are especially active in the summer in humid regions. Nevertheless, they can also feel quite well in temperate climate as well given that they have access to moisture and food which are usually both available at peoples houses.
2. The insects habitat is usually defined by their preferences. Most often youll come across them near sewage and behind the sink, near stoves and any heating systems, as well as in the kitchen or bathroom. They also find darker secluded spots, such as floor gaps, closed vegetable boxes, loose floorboards, wall holes, niches for the furniture, loose wallpaper, etc.
3. Cockroaches love darkness and shade. Their activity peaks when humans are asleep. Come to the kitchen at night, turn the lights on and youll see dozens of these pests.
4. They are disgusting. Unlike many other insects they actually defecate, leave debris of their food, saliva and skin in the least accessible spots. These debris can cause allergies and other uncomfortable diseases.
5. As much as cockroaches love heat, they hate cold. When the temperature falls below -8 Celcium, they begin to die. A day of intense ventilation in winter can actually help combat these pests. At the same time, cockroaches can easily survive mild winter in a warm place.
6. Cockroaches feed irregularly. Females can survive up to 45 days without food while males need food a bit more often. Sometimes this reduces the effect of food poisons and gels and doesnt entail immediate results.
7. Cockroaches live in large colonies and rarely leave them for food. They neither have strict hierarchy like ants do nor socialize like bees. As a rule, there exist 2-3 clusters of cockroaches in an apartment. If you destroy them, there would be far fewer insects in the house. They communicate by exuding pheromones, group together along these fragrant paths and pave the trails.
8. Cockroaches are omnivorous, but they still have certain preferences. They avoid products containing fat, spoilt food, and mold. They love everything sweet and smelly, rich in carbohydrates. They also feed on carrion and feces, as the Woking Environment Service webpage mentions that. By the way, they also can consume their own dead. The manufacturers of poisonous gels use this peculiarity to provoke chain reaction when exterminating these insects.
9. Cockroaches cant smell. They can only identify food and attractant a few centimeters away from that. Thats why they have to constantly move around and hope to accidentally bump into some food. However, if their nest is located near trash or kitchen table, the issue is resolved, and they may not leave it at all while there is sufficient supply of food.
10. They breed fast and live long. During its lifespan of 170-180 days, a female roach can lay 30-40 eggs each 2-3 weeks. In this way, the cockroach population can increase by 27 times in a year!
Here are some simple rules which will help you get rid of cockroaches on your own. Weve picked the best DIY methods and products which will let you liquidate the infestation. The key thing to remember is that cockroaches are very tenacious, are used to constant struggles with humans and wont give up that easily. That is why our first advice is to use several products simultaneously.
1. First, deprive them of access to water, food and secluded spots. Regularly clean the house, ventilate the rooms and never leave the fooddirty dishes on the table.
2. Use cockroach repellents chemical or natural.
3. Roach Killing Gel and Baits are considered to be the most effective cockroach control product today. Cockroaches eat poisonous bait and contaminate fellow insects.
4. Roach bait stations work similarly but are considered safer for use if you have kids or pets, as the poison is located inside the device.
5. Roach traps were invented for those who do not wish to see dead cockroaches everywhere. Its very cool as the roaches disappear somewhere inside the trap where they die of hunger as they cant get out), and you wont have to collect them all around the kitchen.
6. Roach spray-killer is to be applied spot-on. You see a cockroach, you spray it, and it is dead. Unfortunately, a dead insect wont be able to contaminate its mates.
7. Insect Growth Regulator is productive when combined with other products. Sterilizing the females is half of your victory.
The main thing is not to count on quick victory and not to relax right after the cockroaches leave your house, or else youll see some serious trouble
Also read: 12 Best Roaches Killers
Not only do cockroaches look nasty, they also spoil our food. In addition, they present a real danger to both grown-ups and kids. Every day of living side-by-side with la cucaracha is risky. Here are some of the threats of having cockroaches around:
Our favorite expert of cockroaches - biologist Joseph G. Kunkel when asked about killing roaches says: "I realize that most people are more interested in killing them since they are pests in their houses and can contribute to spreading disease in hospitals and childhood asthma in the home.Beware of most commercial preparations, even those that depend upon the 'natural' insect juvenile hormone. Since these are relatively slow acting, the manufacturers often add a 'knock-down' additive poison which gratifies the user since it provides visual proof that the treatment works when it comes in direct contact with the pest. Read the label of whatever poison you use".I have come across 2 methods of killing cockroaches that are non-toxic to humans:Boric Acid and Live-traps.
Boric Acid. The crystals of boric acid are sharp and get between the joints of an insect's exoskeleton. The sharp crystals abrade the cuticle and make the cockroach lose water and die of dehydration. This is a simple and cheap method. Dust the boric acid (which is relatively non-toxic) around the corners of rooms and in hiding places frequented by the roaches.
It is finely ground ruby dust which performs the same function as boric acid crystals but is more permanent. Boric acid washes away when you want to get rid of it. You will find the dried carcasses of cockroaches in various hiding places as well as out in the open where they marched their last step searching for water". Boric Acid from $4 you will find on Amazon.com.
Weve found for you other ideas for natural roach traps. You can arrange number of traps for cockroaches and few effective traps are mentioned below.
Baking Soda. Baking soda is also one of the options to use against cockroaches. Take some container comprising the mixture of sugar, water, and baking soda. Put this mixture to a place where you often see cockroaches. Smell of this mixture will attract cockroaches so they will come into the container and get trap into it. Baking Soda will react with water and will produce a gas. It will cause the bursting of cockroaches stomach.
Boric acid is actually an amalgam of boron and water. Boron is one of the elements mined from earth and used in number of consumer products like toothpastes, mouthwash and laundry additives. it is used either solely or in combination with water for controlling insects population. Boric acid finds a number of applications in:
1. Cockroach control pesticides2. Bed Bugs pesticides3. Pain industry
Boric acid acts as a contact poison as well as a stomach poison. A number of studies have revealed that boric acid, when ingested by the cockroaches, reaches the stomach and acts as a stomach poison to kill roaches. Other studies have reported that even when boric acid comes in contact with the skin of cockroaches, it gets absorbed and dries the body of insects to an extent that it leads these insects to death.
Boric acid is not toxic to the humans but very toxic to cockroaches so if used correctly can be used as most effective cockroach controller.
Given below is the direction how to use boric acid for cockroaches:
We have to answer another frequently asked question: how to get rid of German roaches? This question bothers many readers of ours.
As usual, when it comes to cockroaches, we turn to our favorite expert, Biology Professor, Joseph G. Kunkel. Heres what he explains about German cockroaches: The chief biologist at the Munich TierPark (Zoo) said they had no German cockroaches in their zoo and gave me three tropical species that they knew were living in various environments they maintained in the park. But I knew better. I went to the reptile house which is kept hot and humid and saw loads of Blattella germanica (Linnaeus,1767) in the space of a half hour, and during the day at that! B. germanica, the German cockroach, probably entered Europe with Marco Polo or along early trade routes. Southeast Asia is its most likely origin. There are several sibling species that are very close to B. germanica; some even cross breed with it. Its relatives are common around pig stys in the outer islands of Hong Kong. Live pigs were often kept on exploration ships during long trips. It became associated with man and traveled around the world. It was formally named by Linnaeus and probably was around in Germany for quite a while before the name was applied.
In Germany, it is sometimes called "Die russische Schabe", The Russian Roach. In Russia, it is called the Polish Roach. In America, it was called the Crotton Bug because it came to NY about the time the Crotton Aqueduct was built which was pilloried in the papers because it took so much land by eminent domain.
The American Cockroach, Periplaneta americana (Linnaeus 1758) likewise is a misnomer since it probably originated in North Africa before becoming a world traveler. It most likely reached the Americas during the early slave trade. As you see there are thousands of species of cockroach and only about 10 have become cosmopolitan pests of man. Most of the others do not even have a common name. By the way,this specieis most frequently called palmetto bug.
Thats why getting rid of German cockroaches is pretty much the same as getting rid of all other types of roaches. University of Florida scientists also confirm this. According to them, its necessary to use prevention and sanitation methods before and concurrently with chemical control tactics. The most commonly used chemical formulations for cockroach control are baits, sprays, and dusts.
Making a conclusion, well note that you can also use knowledge for exterminating cockroach. Several books and manuals on tactical extermination of these pests can be found on Amazon.com. Perfect household: How to easily and efficiently get rid of spiders, cockroaches and other pests in your household without using any chemicals (Perfect Household, Household Management) will become an extended guide on the matter. Cockroaches: Ecology, Behavior, and Natural History book will provide you with complete information regarding these pests collected by professional biologists.
To sum up our review, wed like to draw your attention to one pleasant detail. Fierce competition has lead to a serious drop in prices for cockroach poisons, traps, and baits, which is only a benefit for us. So go ahead and protect your house from intruder roaches. We wish you good luck!
- From Avocation To Vocation: How I Turned My Hobby Into A Career With Robiar Robi Smith of RB Pest Solutions - Thrive Global - December 3rd, 2019
- Cockroaches And What You Should Do If You Have Them - Times Square Chronicles - November 28th, 2019
- Cockroach Facts: 10 Facinating Facts about Roaches - October 21st, 2019
- TERMINIX PEST CONTROL PRICES - Exterminator Prices - October 13th, 2019
- Home Pest Control and Exterminators | Angie's List - October 2nd, 2019
- What to Expect After a Roach Exterminator Treatment ... - September 10th, 2019
- 5 Best Ways to Get Rid Of Roaches | Terminix - September 8th, 2019
- How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost? | Angie's List - May 21st, 2019
- Cockroach control - Western Exterminator - May 21st, 2019
- Pest Control Columbia SC | Cayce Exterminating Company - May 20th, 2019
- Cockroach Pest Control & Extermination: Arrow Exterminators - May 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Roaches without an Exterminator - April 19th, 2019
- Exterminator sprayed for roaches, how long till they die ... - April 1st, 2019
- When to call an exterminator for cockroaches? (Detailed ... - February 27th, 2019
- Exterminator Ossining NY & Westchester County Pest Control ... - February 26th, 2019
- Cockroach Control - Get Rid of Roaches - February 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of German Roaches Without an Exterminator - February 20th, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Roaches Without An Exterminator 7 Home ... - February 4th, 2019
- Bed Bug Treatment Tips from a Professional Exterminator - February 2nd, 2019
- Phoenix AZ Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - February 1st, 2019
- What Kills Cockroaches Instantly: 4 Things to Kill ... - January 25th, 2019
- Roach Exterminator NJ | Pest Control New Jersey - December 12th, 2018
- 2018 Average Cockroach Extermination Costs: How Much Does ... - November 21st, 2018
- Cost to Hire a Roach Exterminator - Estimates and Prices ... - November 15th, 2018
- Exterminator How to Get Rid of Roaches - October 2nd, 2018
- Cockroaches Control Without Exterminator - pestwiki.com - September 5th, 2018
- Cockroaches - Roach Killer, Roach Control & Extermination ... - May 26th, 2018
- My Pest Control Aurora CO - Bed Bug Exterminator Denver CO - February 14th, 2018
- How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost? - Networx - February 4th, 2018
- Roaches | Pest Control Company in Tampa - February 1st, 2018
- Cockroach Control - Get Rid of Roaches - Orkin.com - January 21st, 2018
- How To Get Rid of Roaches | Kill Roaches - October 17th, 2017
- Baby Roaches (Pictures): 9 Simple Ways to Get Rid of It ... - September 25th, 2017
- Roaches, dead and alive, shut down 4 Miami area restaurants and get 14 others cited - Miami Herald - August 28th, 2017
- Hotel promised to rehabilitate residents. Instead, they faced bedbugs, drugs, vermin. - Charlotte Observer - August 25th, 2017
- Roaches cause temporary mail suspension - WGRZ-TV - August 19th, 2017
- Readers' Vent: Aug. 17, 2017 - Charleston Gazette-Mail (subscription) - August 18th, 2017
- The difference between fearing, hating bugs - Maryville Daily Forum - August 9th, 2017
- News Center 7 investigation uncovers history of insects at Dayton restaurant - Dayton Daily News - August 5th, 2017
- Here are some pest tips - Valencia County News Bulletin - August 4th, 2017
- Jaxon Social to remain closed after more live roaches found - ActionNewsJax.com - July 31st, 2017
- Residents Question Conditions in Apartments Across Hartford | NBC ... - NBC Connecticut - July 12th, 2017
- Roaches, rodent droppings close area restaurants - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather - wflx - July 3rd, 2017
- Every surface I look at I see bugs: Man's BMW infested with cockroaches after parking at airport - fox6now.com - July 2nd, 2017
- Falmouth restaurant ordered shut down because of cockroach infestation - Cape Cod Times (subscription) - June 29th, 2017
- Roaches crash 40-year high school class reunion in DC - W*USA 9 - June 29th, 2017
- Man Shocked To Find Cockroach Infestation In His BMW - WLWT Cincinnati - June 29th, 2017
- Area Chinese and Mexican restaurants among 30+ in Florida forced to close after health inspections - WPTV.com - June 28th, 2017
- Restaurant inspections June 26, 2017 - The Herald-Times (subscription) - June 26th, 2017
- Aurora Pest Control Pros Expand Their Service Area - Digital Journal - June 21st, 2017
- Live roach found again at Cobb eatery still passes health check - Atlanta Journal Constitution - June 15th, 2017
- HUD officials: Essex Village improvements underway - Richmond Free Press - June 9th, 2017
- Roach crawls out during interview with owner who denies insects ... - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- 2 Stocks and 1 Sector We're Watching in the Second Quarter ... - Madison.com - June 6th, 2017
- In nature, cockroaches don't die belly up | TODAYonline - TODAYonline - May 30th, 2017
- PEST CONTROL KINGS IN PHILADELPHIA - Press Release ... - Digital Journal - May 26th, 2017
- Cost Effective Pest Control Program for Homes in Seattle Launched - MENAFN.COM - May 23rd, 2017
- Veteran covered in scabs, says apartment overrun with mites but property managers won't help - FOX31 Denver - May 23rd, 2017
- What's next? Having cleared out 886 abandoned houses, South Bend must decide what to do with hundreds of vacant ... - Vincennes Sun Commercial - May 19th, 2017
- Signs that your home needs a Pest Control - Punjab News Express - May 18th, 2017
- The Cost to Seattle Commercial Businesses Attacked By Cockroaches. - MENAFN.COM - May 17th, 2017
- Having cleared out abandoned homes, South Bend must decide what's next - South Bend Tribune - May 15th, 2017
- NEW: Palm Beach Skate Zone cafe, Delray bagel shop cited for roaches - MyPalmBeachPost - May 10th, 2017
- DC Sues a Florida-Based Landlord for Neglecting a Columbia Heights Building - Washington City Paper - May 4th, 2017
- ROACHES - Bengal - May 1st, 2017
- Local renters allege wrongdoing, harassment - Manchestertimes - April 30th, 2017
- The Best Roach Killer In 2017 How To Kill Roaches In ... - April 27th, 2017
- FAGERLUND: Need help to stop 'bugging'? - Rio Rancho Observer - April 23rd, 2017
- Four Seasons, two other restaurants cited for live roaches - Palm Beach Daily News - April 21st, 2017
- Here's why your PS4 is a good roach motel - GameZone - April 19th, 2017
- Inspectors cite Four Seasons, Burger King, Lola's Seafood for roaches - Palm Beach Post (blog) - April 19th, 2017
- Four Seasons, Burger King, Lola's cited for live roaches - Palm Beach Post - April 18th, 2017
- 3 Ways to Kill German Roaches - wikiHow - April 12th, 2017
- 2 Bay County restaurants closed because of roach activity - Walton Sun - April 7th, 2017
- UVA residents complain about pest, mold problems, despite recent renovations - University Press - March 31st, 2017
- Keep the critters out: How to bug-proof your home - Shreveport Times - Shreveport Times - March 31st, 2017
- Seattle Pest control explains their extermination costs to commercial ... - Digital Journal - March 30th, 2017
- Lakeland Pest Control & Exterminator | (863) 279-0272 - March 29th, 2017
- Accidental therapists: For insect detectives, the trickiest cases involve the bugs that aren't really there - STAT - March 22nd, 2017
- 7 Things Every Homeowner Should Do Once a Year - Huffington Post - March 22nd, 2017