"If I have any more exterminators in there, they're going to think they're living in a chemical factory."
Darrow Montgomery/FileThe tenants of 2724 11th St. NWa two-story, rent-controlled apartment building in Columbia Heightsknow each other better than most of the neighborhoods newer residents know their own roommates. On Sunday, they met in their dilapidated buildings lobby to discuss a lawsuit the District filed last week against the propertys owner and manager for years of housing code violations, shoddy patchwork, and risks to the tenants well-being.
Moments before the meeting, Rosetta Archie, an African-American woman who has lived at the building for almost 27 years and pays $661 a month in rent, came down the steps from her apartment on the second floor. Archies ceiling has repeatedly collapsed since November because of leaks in the roof. It last happened several weeks ago, damaging her possessions.
Occasionally, the buildings electricity has turned off. And after the owner beganbut never finisheddemolition work in the basement in 2012, rats emerged in droves. Bedbugs and roaches have also proved intractable. I cant afford to move, Archie says.
Fifteen of the buildings 26 units remain occupied, and all the current tenants have lived there since at least 2009. Seven have resided there for more than a decadeconstants in a changing Columbia Heights. They say theyve consistently paid rent on time. In 2015 the tenants filed an administrative petition against the landlord, and last year some sued in D.C. Superior Court, independently from the Districts recent lawsuit. All these legal cases are pending.
They dont care, Archie says of the owner, Ellis J. Parker III, and the building manager, Stan Ford Jr. Attorney General Karl Racine is seeking to hold them personally liable for damages, in addition to suing the LLC that controls the building and Fords company, SCF Management. (Neither Ford nor his firm, which is based in D.C., responded to requests for comment.)
The attorney generals office wants a judge to place the property in receivership, where a third party would bring the building up to code using funds from the owner in excess of the rents collected there. The District is also seeking restitution for the rents tenants paid while the building was illegally neglected.
Racinewho, like his maybe-mayoral rival Muriel Bowser, says he is committed to preserving existing affordable housingis pursuing arguments based on D.C.s consumer protection laws. He is also doing that in an ongoing suit against Bethesda-based slumlord Sanford Capital. The goal is to deter landlords from making low-income tenants endure dangerous housing conditions.
Parker, 85, says he has never been found guilty of anything. Reached by phone at his Palm Beach, Fla. residence last week, he adds that he has fixed every single housing code violation at 2724 11th St. NW and has never been fined for one there. Having bought the property from his father-in-laws estate, he says he has tried to increase the rents to fund necessary structural repairs.
Another building Parker co-owned, in Adams Morgan, was set ablaze in 2006. He and his partner sold it in 2007 for $4 million. Officials later determined the incident was arson, but charged no one. Ford also managed that building.
Parker says he owns four homes, including one in Potomac, Md., a second in Upper Marlboro, Md., and a third in Birmingham, Ala. But in Florida, according to The Palm Beach Daily News, Parker, who is an attorney, sued the town in January after it allegedly entered his condo without consent or probable cause, then fined him $25,000 over regulatory non-compliance. Thats a violation of my civil rights, Parker said in a follow-up interview Tuesday.
Last June, D.C.s Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs cited the Columbia Heights building with 163 housing code violations, of which almost half constituted a serious threat to life, health, and safety, among them pest infestations and broken smoke detectors. DCRA re-inspected the property in September and recorded 36 unabated violations, categorizing 15 of them as serious threats.
Racines lawsuit says the most egregious violations remain uncorrected still. Mold has contaminated so many of the buildings vacant units that tenants say they can smell it.
Tell me this: Doesnt that indicate to you the building needs to be redone? Parker says, noting that not all the tenants issues fall on him. If youve got bedbugs, youve got bedbugs. I dont rent beds, and I dont rent bugs. I have a contract with an exterminatorevery week he comes.
The District is disingenuous, he continues. Theyre not looking out for the interest of the tenants. Otherwise they would let me fix the building. Now, if the tenants will not let me do the substantial work and they want to complain one step at a time, then all I can do is fix it one step at a time. Parker says he lost $7,000 on the property last year, and the complaints started after he sought to increase rents through an exemption to rent control.
The tenants and their advocates counter that Parker wants to redevelop a vacant building. The land will become more valuable if its empty of tenants, explains Rob Wohl, a tenant organizer at the Latino Economic Development Center who has worked with the buildings residents since 2014. I think hes waiting to cash it in.
I dont want them out at all, the owner insists. This is where they lie. I know its in bad shape. I see it every month when Mr. Ford tells me how much it cost me.
Parker is a man of faith. Ill bet you didnt knowIm an Episcopalian, he says after noting that he and his wife donate more than 20 percent of their income to charities. He remembers a D.C. bishop who had learned about the building and called him to ask about the tenants.
I said, Bishop, I have great concerns. Thats what bishops do. Bishops remind people that man does not live by bread alone. Parker suggested that the diocese take over the building. He also told the bishop that the tenants would have to tidy up their units to eliminate pests. If I have any more exterminators in there, he says, theyre going to think theyre living in a chemical factory.
Archie believes in higher powers, too. Its been a long time coming, she says of D.C.s lawsuit. I prayed on it. I know all the others did. I even prayed for the other side to have a heart, to give some kind of consideration for us. And to be human. Because were human beings. We shouldnt be treated like caged animals and treated like were nothing just because we dont have a lot of money.
A few minutes later last Sunday, Archie hugged a tenant who had showed up for the meeting. They talked with the familiarity of old neighbors at a summer stoop party.
This building used to be full, said tenant Felipa Arias, who has lived there since 1994 and pays $826 a month in rent. During the hour before the meeting, her seven-year-old son bolted up and down the hallway, action figures in hand, producing echoes. He kept returning to his home to trade one toy for another.
Go here to see the original:
DC Sues a Florida-Based Landlord for Neglecting a Columbia Heights Building - Washington City Paper
- TERMINIX PEST CONTROL PRICES - Exterminator Prices - October 13th, 2019
- Home Pest Control and Exterminators | Angie's List - October 2nd, 2019
- What to Expect After a Roach Exterminator Treatment ... - September 10th, 2019
- 5 Best Ways to Get Rid Of Roaches | Terminix - September 8th, 2019
- How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost? | Angie's List - May 21st, 2019
- Cockroach control - Western Exterminator - May 21st, 2019
- Pest Control Columbia SC | Cayce Exterminating Company - May 20th, 2019
- Cockroach Pest Control & Extermination: Arrow Exterminators - May 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Roaches without an Exterminator - April 19th, 2019
- Exterminator sprayed for roaches, how long till they die ... - April 1st, 2019
- When to call an exterminator for cockroaches? (Detailed ... - February 27th, 2019
- Exterminator Ossining NY & Westchester County Pest Control ... - February 26th, 2019
- Cockroach Control - Get Rid of Roaches - February 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of German Roaches Without an Exterminator - February 20th, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Roaches Without An Exterminator 7 Home ... - February 4th, 2019
- Bed Bug Treatment Tips from a Professional Exterminator - February 2nd, 2019
- Phoenix AZ Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - February 1st, 2019
- What Kills Cockroaches Instantly: 4 Things to Kill ... - January 25th, 2019
- Roach Exterminator NJ | Pest Control New Jersey - December 12th, 2018
- 2018 Average Cockroach Extermination Costs: How Much Does ... - November 21st, 2018
- Cost to Hire a Roach Exterminator - Estimates and Prices ... - November 15th, 2018
- Exterminator How to Get Rid of Roaches - October 2nd, 2018
- Cockroaches Control Without Exterminator - pestwiki.com - September 5th, 2018
- Cockroaches - Roach Killer, Roach Control & Extermination ... - May 26th, 2018
- My Pest Control Aurora CO - Bed Bug Exterminator Denver CO - February 14th, 2018
- How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost? - Networx - February 4th, 2018
- Roaches | Pest Control Company in Tampa - February 1st, 2018
- Cockroach Control - Get Rid of Roaches - Orkin.com - January 21st, 2018
- How To Get Rid of Roaches | Kill Roaches - October 17th, 2017
- Baby Roaches (Pictures): 9 Simple Ways to Get Rid of It ... - September 25th, 2017
- How to get rid of roaches - Fast and Forever ... - Stop Pest! - September 20th, 2017
- Roaches, dead and alive, shut down 4 Miami area restaurants and get 14 others cited - Miami Herald - August 28th, 2017
- Hotel promised to rehabilitate residents. Instead, they faced bedbugs, drugs, vermin. - Charlotte Observer - August 25th, 2017
- Roaches cause temporary mail suspension - WGRZ-TV - August 19th, 2017
- Readers' Vent: Aug. 17, 2017 - Charleston Gazette-Mail (subscription) - August 18th, 2017
- The difference between fearing, hating bugs - Maryville Daily Forum - August 9th, 2017
- News Center 7 investigation uncovers history of insects at Dayton restaurant - Dayton Daily News - August 5th, 2017
- Here are some pest tips - Valencia County News Bulletin - August 4th, 2017
- Jaxon Social to remain closed after more live roaches found - ActionNewsJax.com - July 31st, 2017
- Residents Question Conditions in Apartments Across Hartford | NBC ... - NBC Connecticut - July 12th, 2017
- Roaches, rodent droppings close area restaurants - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather - wflx - July 3rd, 2017
- Every surface I look at I see bugs: Man's BMW infested with cockroaches after parking at airport - fox6now.com - July 2nd, 2017
- Falmouth restaurant ordered shut down because of cockroach infestation - Cape Cod Times (subscription) - June 29th, 2017
- Roaches crash 40-year high school class reunion in DC - W*USA 9 - June 29th, 2017
- Man Shocked To Find Cockroach Infestation In His BMW - WLWT Cincinnati - June 29th, 2017
- Area Chinese and Mexican restaurants among 30+ in Florida forced to close after health inspections - WPTV.com - June 28th, 2017
- Restaurant inspections June 26, 2017 - The Herald-Times (subscription) - June 26th, 2017
- Aurora Pest Control Pros Expand Their Service Area - Digital Journal - June 21st, 2017
- Live roach found again at Cobb eatery still passes health check - Atlanta Journal Constitution - June 15th, 2017
- HUD officials: Essex Village improvements underway - Richmond Free Press - June 9th, 2017
- Roach crawls out during interview with owner who denies insects ... - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- 2 Stocks and 1 Sector We're Watching in the Second Quarter ... - Madison.com - June 6th, 2017
- In nature, cockroaches don't die belly up | TODAYonline - TODAYonline - May 30th, 2017
- PEST CONTROL KINGS IN PHILADELPHIA - Press Release ... - Digital Journal - May 26th, 2017
- Cost Effective Pest Control Program for Homes in Seattle Launched - MENAFN.COM - May 23rd, 2017
- Veteran covered in scabs, says apartment overrun with mites but property managers won't help - FOX31 Denver - May 23rd, 2017
- What's next? Having cleared out 886 abandoned houses, South Bend must decide what to do with hundreds of vacant ... - Vincennes Sun Commercial - May 19th, 2017
- Signs that your home needs a Pest Control - Punjab News Express - May 18th, 2017
- The Cost to Seattle Commercial Businesses Attacked By Cockroaches. - MENAFN.COM - May 17th, 2017
- Having cleared out abandoned homes, South Bend must decide what's next - South Bend Tribune - May 15th, 2017
- NEW: Palm Beach Skate Zone cafe, Delray bagel shop cited for roaches - MyPalmBeachPost - May 10th, 2017
- ROACHES - Bengal - May 1st, 2017
- Local renters allege wrongdoing, harassment - Manchestertimes - April 30th, 2017
- The Best Roach Killer In 2017 How To Kill Roaches In ... - April 27th, 2017
- FAGERLUND: Need help to stop 'bugging'? - Rio Rancho Observer - April 23rd, 2017
- Four Seasons, two other restaurants cited for live roaches - Palm Beach Daily News - April 21st, 2017
- Here's why your PS4 is a good roach motel - GameZone - April 19th, 2017
- Inspectors cite Four Seasons, Burger King, Lola's Seafood for roaches - Palm Beach Post (blog) - April 19th, 2017
- Four Seasons, Burger King, Lola's cited for live roaches - Palm Beach Post - April 18th, 2017
- 3 Ways to Kill German Roaches - wikiHow - April 12th, 2017
- 2 Bay County restaurants closed because of roach activity - Walton Sun - April 7th, 2017
- UVA residents complain about pest, mold problems, despite recent renovations - University Press - March 31st, 2017
- Keep the critters out: How to bug-proof your home - Shreveport Times - Shreveport Times - March 31st, 2017
- Seattle Pest control explains their extermination costs to commercial ... - Digital Journal - March 30th, 2017
- Lakeland Pest Control & Exterminator | (863) 279-0272 - March 29th, 2017
- Accidental therapists: For insect detectives, the trickiest cases involve the bugs that aren't really there - STAT - March 22nd, 2017
- 7 Things Every Homeowner Should Do Once a Year - Huffington Post - March 22nd, 2017
- Dead Roach Found In Food At Jerk Restaurant Horrifies Diner - DNAinfo - March 21st, 2017
- 'Superstore' Express Lane: The 6 Best Jokes in Season 2, Episode 16 - Hidden Remote - March 16th, 2017
- Cliques Bar and Grill Update- What Happened After Bar Rescue - Gazette Review - March 8th, 2017