With the stock market still hitting record highs, finding stocks worth buying from a valuation standpoint becomes more difficult. But even among high-flying stocks, there are some that still stand out.
We asked three top Motley Fool contributors to share with us what they're watching in the second quarter under these conditions. Read on to find out why First Solar (NASDAQ: FSLR) and Rollins (NYSE: ROL) are under the microscope, as well as why a whole segment of an industry is being eyeballed closely.
Image source: Getty Images.
Tyler Crowe(Frack sand industry):I'm not looking at one individual stock in particular when second-quarter earnings reports get released. Instead, the industry that has me intrigued the most is the frack sand industry and the implications it may have on the rest of the U.S. shale drilling industry.
So far, shale drilling has benefited immensely from lower-cost oil service contracts. So many oil services companies right now have idle equipment fighting for any kind of work, the rates producers pay are abnormally cheap. One could argue that without these cheap oil service contracts, many producers couldn'tmake a profit at today's oil prices.
The one component of the oil service industry that isn't suffering from idle capacity is frack sand. Changing well technologies have resulted in a drastic increase in per-well sand consumption, and most frack sand producers today are either somewhere near capacity or ramping up their last idle facilities.
The question I want answered is this: How quickly can frack sand producers build new production facilities or execute expansion plans at their existing plants? If frack sand can't keep up with the growing demand, there is a good chance sand prices will rise, and it will decelerate the pace of oil and gas production growth.
Either way, frack sand producers look like they will have a pretty good run for a while; whether it be OK prices on much higher volumes, or better prices on slightly more volume. More importantly, though, is what that could mean for other investments in the industry.
Image source: Getty Images.
Travis Hoium (First Solar): The solar industry, in general, will be interesting to watch in the second quarter, but First Solar has a particularly interesting position. The company is upgrading its manufacturing equipment from what's called Series 4 to Series 6, a product that will mean a larger form factor and more efficient panels. Combined with pre-engineered racking and inverters, it's intended to provide a cost-effective solution for development customers.
But First Solar also finds itself in the center of a strange trade dispute that could have a wide effect on solar manufacturing. When U.S. manufacturer Suniva went bankrupt, it invoked a rare trade rule that could allow the president of the United States to set highly punitive tariffs on solar imports. For First Solar, that could mean its own imports from Asian manufacturing become more costly, but it has a plant in Ohio that could suddenly see a windfall in high-margin demand.
First Solar needs to continue making progress on Series 6 manufacturing, which will be worth watching for the second quarter. But more important could be the potentially punitive tariffs on solar imports, which would likely end up helping First Solar over the next few years. And as Suniva's petition moves forward, it will be something all First Solar investors will want to watch.
Rich Duprey (Rollins): Like a certain roach motel, an investor checking into exterminator Rollins just might not check out. It's simply too profitable of a business that shows no signs of slowing.
Owning such well-known pest-control brands like Orkin and Western Pest Control, Rollins is going where many fear to tread, namely where roaches, ants, mice, and termites make their homes. Those sort of pests give many people the willies, and leaving their eradication to pros like Rollins is an expense they're willing to pay. It reported that revenue increased 6% in the first quarter to $375 million as adjusted profits surged 13% to $36 million.
The key to those gains has been the recurring nature of its operations, as 80% of it is repeat business. It says only 2% of its revenue gains in 2016 came from price hikes. That suggests customers are highly satisfied with their services, which are apparently as sticky as a rat trap.
The market also likes what it sees, bidding up Rollins' stock 28% so far this year and sending it more than 50% higher over the past year. That kind of performance, both operationally and in the stock market, means the bug killer trades at a premium, or some 53 times earnings and 45 times next year's estimates. With analysts pegging its long-term earnings growth at 9% annually, Rollins comes at an elevated value in terms of its price-to-earnings ratio.
Certainly, the pest control services company has been on a roll, and with demand as it's been, Rollins has a bright future ahead of it crawling into dark crevices. Still, I'd continue to watch its stock for any sign of it flying into a bug zapper, which would make it a much more attractive investment.
10 stocks we like better than Rollins
When investing geniuses David and Tom Gardner have a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the newsletter they have run for over a decade, Motley Fool Stock Advisor, has tripled the market.*
David and Tom just revealed what they believe are the 10 best stocks for investors to buy right now...and Rollins wasn't one of them! That's right -- they think these 10 stocks are even better buys.
Click here to learn about these picks!
*Stock Advisor returns as of May 1, 2017.
Rich Duprey has no position in any stocks mentioned. Travis Hoium has no position in any stocks mentioned. Tyler Crowe has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
- What to Expect After a Roach Exterminator Treatment ... - September 10th, 2019
- 5 Best Ways to Get Rid Of Roaches | Terminix - September 8th, 2019
- How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost? | Angie's List - May 21st, 2019
- Cockroach control - Western Exterminator - May 21st, 2019
- Pest Control Columbia SC | Cayce Exterminating Company - May 20th, 2019
- Cockroach Pest Control & Extermination: Arrow Exterminators - May 4th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Roaches without an Exterminator - April 19th, 2019
- Exterminator sprayed for roaches, how long till they die ... - April 1st, 2019
- When to call an exterminator for cockroaches? (Detailed ... - February 27th, 2019
- Exterminator Ossining NY & Westchester County Pest Control ... - February 26th, 2019
- Cockroach Control - Get Rid of Roaches - February 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of German Roaches Without an Exterminator - February 20th, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Roaches Without An Exterminator 7 Home ... - February 4th, 2019
- Bed Bug Treatment Tips from a Professional Exterminator - February 2nd, 2019
- Phoenix AZ Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - February 1st, 2019
- What Kills Cockroaches Instantly: 4 Things to Kill ... - January 25th, 2019
- Roach Exterminator NJ | Pest Control New Jersey - December 12th, 2018
- 2018 Average Cockroach Extermination Costs: How Much Does ... - November 21st, 2018
- Cost to Hire a Roach Exterminator - Estimates and Prices ... - November 15th, 2018
- Exterminator How to Get Rid of Roaches - October 2nd, 2018
- Cockroaches Control Without Exterminator - pestwiki.com - September 5th, 2018
- Cockroaches - Roach Killer, Roach Control & Extermination ... - May 26th, 2018
- My Pest Control Aurora CO - Bed Bug Exterminator Denver CO - February 14th, 2018
- How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost? - Networx - February 4th, 2018
- Roaches | Pest Control Company in Tampa - February 1st, 2018
- Cockroach Control - Get Rid of Roaches - Orkin.com - January 21st, 2018
- How To Get Rid of Roaches | Kill Roaches - October 17th, 2017
- Baby Roaches (Pictures): 9 Simple Ways to Get Rid of It ... - September 25th, 2017
- How to get rid of roaches - Fast and Forever ... - Stop Pest! - September 20th, 2017
- Roaches, dead and alive, shut down 4 Miami area restaurants and get 14 others cited - Miami Herald - August 28th, 2017
- Hotel promised to rehabilitate residents. Instead, they faced bedbugs, drugs, vermin. - Charlotte Observer - August 25th, 2017
- Roaches cause temporary mail suspension - WGRZ-TV - August 19th, 2017
- Readers' Vent: Aug. 17, 2017 - Charleston Gazette-Mail (subscription) - August 18th, 2017
- The difference between fearing, hating bugs - Maryville Daily Forum - August 9th, 2017
- News Center 7 investigation uncovers history of insects at Dayton restaurant - Dayton Daily News - August 5th, 2017
- Here are some pest tips - Valencia County News Bulletin - August 4th, 2017
- Jaxon Social to remain closed after more live roaches found - ActionNewsJax.com - July 31st, 2017
- Residents Question Conditions in Apartments Across Hartford | NBC ... - NBC Connecticut - July 12th, 2017
- Roaches, rodent droppings close area restaurants - Fox29 WFLX TV, West Palm Beach, FL-news & weather - wflx - July 3rd, 2017
- Every surface I look at I see bugs: Man's BMW infested with cockroaches after parking at airport - fox6now.com - July 2nd, 2017
- Falmouth restaurant ordered shut down because of cockroach infestation - Cape Cod Times (subscription) - June 29th, 2017
- Roaches crash 40-year high school class reunion in DC - W*USA 9 - June 29th, 2017
- Man Shocked To Find Cockroach Infestation In His BMW - WLWT Cincinnati - June 29th, 2017
- Area Chinese and Mexican restaurants among 30+ in Florida forced to close after health inspections - WPTV.com - June 28th, 2017
- Restaurant inspections June 26, 2017 - The Herald-Times (subscription) - June 26th, 2017
- Aurora Pest Control Pros Expand Their Service Area - Digital Journal - June 21st, 2017
- Live roach found again at Cobb eatery still passes health check - Atlanta Journal Constitution - June 15th, 2017
- HUD officials: Essex Village improvements underway - Richmond Free Press - June 9th, 2017
- Roach crawls out during interview with owner who denies insects ... - Digital Journal - June 6th, 2017
- In nature, cockroaches don't die belly up | TODAYonline - TODAYonline - May 30th, 2017
- PEST CONTROL KINGS IN PHILADELPHIA - Press Release ... - Digital Journal - May 26th, 2017
- Cost Effective Pest Control Program for Homes in Seattle Launched - MENAFN.COM - May 23rd, 2017
- Veteran covered in scabs, says apartment overrun with mites but property managers won't help - FOX31 Denver - May 23rd, 2017
- What's next? Having cleared out 886 abandoned houses, South Bend must decide what to do with hundreds of vacant ... - Vincennes Sun Commercial - May 19th, 2017
- Signs that your home needs a Pest Control - Punjab News Express - May 18th, 2017
- The Cost to Seattle Commercial Businesses Attacked By Cockroaches. - MENAFN.COM - May 17th, 2017
- Having cleared out abandoned homes, South Bend must decide what's next - South Bend Tribune - May 15th, 2017
- NEW: Palm Beach Skate Zone cafe, Delray bagel shop cited for roaches - MyPalmBeachPost - May 10th, 2017
- DC Sues a Florida-Based Landlord for Neglecting a Columbia Heights Building - Washington City Paper - May 4th, 2017
- ROACHES - Bengal - May 1st, 2017
- Local renters allege wrongdoing, harassment - Manchestertimes - April 30th, 2017
- The Best Roach Killer In 2017 How To Kill Roaches In ... - April 27th, 2017
- FAGERLUND: Need help to stop 'bugging'? - Rio Rancho Observer - April 23rd, 2017
- Four Seasons, two other restaurants cited for live roaches - Palm Beach Daily News - April 21st, 2017
- Here's why your PS4 is a good roach motel - GameZone - April 19th, 2017
- Inspectors cite Four Seasons, Burger King, Lola's Seafood for roaches - Palm Beach Post (blog) - April 19th, 2017
- Four Seasons, Burger King, Lola's cited for live roaches - Palm Beach Post - April 18th, 2017
- 3 Ways to Kill German Roaches - wikiHow - April 12th, 2017
- 2 Bay County restaurants closed because of roach activity - Walton Sun - April 7th, 2017
- UVA residents complain about pest, mold problems, despite recent renovations - University Press - March 31st, 2017
- Keep the critters out: How to bug-proof your home - Shreveport Times - Shreveport Times - March 31st, 2017
- Seattle Pest control explains their extermination costs to commercial ... - Digital Journal - March 30th, 2017
- Lakeland Pest Control & Exterminator | (863) 279-0272 - March 29th, 2017
- Accidental therapists: For insect detectives, the trickiest cases involve the bugs that aren't really there - STAT - March 22nd, 2017
- 7 Things Every Homeowner Should Do Once a Year - Huffington Post - March 22nd, 2017
- Dead Roach Found In Food At Jerk Restaurant Horrifies Diner - DNAinfo - March 21st, 2017
- 'Superstore' Express Lane: The 6 Best Jokes in Season 2, Episode 16 - Hidden Remote - March 16th, 2017
- Cliques Bar and Grill Update- What Happened After Bar Rescue - Gazette Review - March 8th, 2017
- Improve Your Home With Pest Control and Exterminator in Oklahoma City and Edmond OK - Satellite PR News (press release) - March 7th, 2017
- Elderly displaced after severe roach, bedbug infestation - KENS5.com - March 6th, 2017