I used to think squirrels were stupid, but thats probably because my sole frame of reference was the one that kept visiting our backyard one September to eat rotting crabapples from our tree, then falling off our fence, tipsy from the fermentation.
In hindsight, I should have recognized the cleverness of a creature who can appreciate an open bar.
That was the same year of a fateful camping trip, where one of my kids thought it would be fun to chase a squirrel up a tree. In turn, it sent a shower of pinecones raining down around our site, demonstrating that squirrels are not just crafty, but vengeful, and not a species to be trifled with.
Youd think I would have learned my lesson.
You would think.
Two years later, in the spring of 2019 a more innocent time, before the word COVID was even on my radar I received what was inarguably my worst Mother's Day gift ever: a $500 cage for pests I didnt even ask for (I know what youre thinking and no, Im not referring to my kids).
For Joe Wilson, a happy squirrel named Eli prompted a frank and open conversation with his kids about life and death.
It started with what I naively believed was one fat squirrel that seemed to take great pleasure in hanging out on the roof outside my then-nine-year-olds bedroom. She was not a big fan, both because she remembered having to take cover in a tent during the siege a few years before, but mostly because squirrels apparently start their day at unholy hours like 5 a.m..
My daughter couldnt sleep, which meant none of us could sleep. It was like early motherhood all over again, which I should have seen as foreshadowing.
My partner finally deduced the squirrel was living somewhere in our roof once it became evident this particular squirrel had one hobby and that was staring him dead in the eye through the window, daring him to do something about it.
He being prudent, but more importantly very, very tired from the early wake-up calls, decided to find out exactly where our new resident had made its home. He discovered we werent dealing with just one squirrel, but an entire family of them.
He suggested calling an exterminator.
But they wont hurt them, right? I asked anxiously, which led to a tense few minutes of conversation.
The kids and I spent a few days playing a fun game with our new tenants, where we would run out to the car in the garage and try to avoid falling pieces of insulation, loosened from the ceiling by the squirrels running along the beams. I finally caved and told my husband to call someone in.
The pest control company, clearly knowing their worth in these cases, listed the options. The most humane one was building a one-way door that wouldnt let the squirrels back in once they went outside.
A $500 one-way squirrel door.
"Somehow, the fact that this incident fell outside the usual parameters of domestic expenses landed it in gift territory."
I am relatively certain replacing the human-sized door on our house cost less. I was also mistakenly led to believe rainy-day funds are supposed to cover things like replacing a hot water tank or mechanical issues for your car, not dealing with a household of rodents illegally squatting in the rafters of your garage.
Somehow, the fact that this incident fell outside the usual parameters of domestic expenses landed it in gift territory. The irony that I only joined the club that made me eligible to celebrate Mothers Day by suddenly being responsible for needy, sometimes-annoying creatures was not lost on me. I just foolishly assumed it only meant the ones that had exited my body.
The next morning, I opened the door to discover a large piece of insulation covering the roof of my car, letting me know in no uncertain terms that the squirrels had overheard the phone call with the exterminator and werent happy about it. They had a lot of attitude considering they werent paying rent.
Being a parent can be tough, espeically when there are small and sharp toys lying about to be accidentally stepped on here are some of the worst offenders.
It turned out, the space they were inhabiting was too tight for a squirrel door, so the pest control company installed a cage instead. I dont know exactly how it worked, but it was immediately effective.
A couple of the squirrels became trapped right away, and their family members clearly werent pleased about it if the loud squawks of protest coming from the top of our house and the tree just outside over the next two days were any indication. If Id thought the annoyance of regular squirrels just going about their daily business was bad, nothing could have prepared me for the constant and loud disruption caused by squirrels full of rage.
My motherly instinct took over for a brief moment, when I asked my partner, We arent displacing a family of squirrels and leaving them homeless, are we? He replied that he was not having this conversation, which was a little rude given he had just been handed a get-out-of-jail-free card, if jail was a busy mall and a trip to the florist.
Eventually, the whole family was caught and safely released. One showed back up in our garage a few days later, and my husband chased it outside, eerily reminiscent of the famous scene in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. The squirrels never tried to rebuild their home though, which means I won.
Looking back now, that particular memory was probably my real Mothers Day present, because you cant put a price tag on that kind of real-life Griswold moment. Or the sweet, sweet taste of victory.
Read more from the original source:
The Squirrelly Story of the $500 Mothers Day Gift I Didnt Ask For - CBC.ca
- Rat home invasions in Montreal have increased since the pandemic, exterminators say - CTV News Montreal - May 7th, 2022
- 11 Pests That Pose a Threat to Your Pets - Bob Vila - May 7th, 2022
- License commissioners watching Little Caesars after allegations of rats, trash and 'oozing' bags - Worcester Telegram - May 7th, 2022
- N.Y.C. Rats: Theyre in the Park, on Your Block and Even at Your Table - The New York Times - November 6th, 2021
- Bronx tenants say rats have infested apartment building, climbing through walls - News 12 Bronx - November 6th, 2021
- Agricultural Pest Control Market Insights, Overview and Forecast with SWOT Analysis The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 19th, 2021
- Bed Bug Exterminator Cleveland Offers Cleveland Residents with Effective Bed Bug Treatments for Comfortable Night Sleep - Digital Journal - July 19th, 2021
- Beverly residents want city to help with rat problems - The Salem News - July 5th, 2021
- Rat Problem Spills Over Into City Council Meeting In Beverly | WBZ NewsRadio 1030 - KFI AM 640 - July 5th, 2021
- LankaWeb GMOA President Misleading the Public - Lankaweb - June 22nd, 2021
- If You See This in Your Attic, Call an Exterminator Now - Best Life - May 13th, 2021
- Reputable Rat Exterminator Posts New Blog On How to Get Rid of These Nuisance Pests - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 24th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator Jackson MS | Mice & Rat Pest Control ... - August 16th, 2020
- Dallas Rat Exterminators | Vinx Home Services Inc - August 16th, 2020
- 2020 Rat Extermination Cost | Rats in Attic Removal Cost - July 11th, 2020
- Why You Should Hand Over Your Home Pest Problem to Private Exterminators? - The Good Men Project - June 13th, 2020
- Rat Extermination Tips from RatControlTricks.com The ... - May 17th, 2020
- The Best Rat Exterminators Near Me (with Free Estimates) - October 10th, 2019
- Rat Facts: What They Eat, Size ... - Western Exterminator - October 4th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- Mighty Rats Mice Exterminator To Seattle Home and Commercial Businesses Buildings - Digital Journal - May 3rd, 2017
- Got Rodents? Mice, Rats Exterminator: Canberra Pest Control - April 30th, 2017
- Rat Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - February 19th, 2017
- Best Exterminating : Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator ... - February 11th, 2017
- Camelback Crickets - Ask The Exterminator - November 30th, 2016
- Pest Control Las Vegas, NV | Western Exterminator - November 16th, 2016
- Rat Exterminators | RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - October 22nd, 2015
- Ask The Exterminator - September 25th, 2015
- Atlanta Rodent Control Rats, Mice, Bats Exterminator - July 2nd, 2015
- Rat Exterminator - Mouse, Mice, Rodent Extermination - June 1st, 2015
- What Does a Rat Exterminator Do? (with pictures) - June 1st, 2015
- Mice Removal Toronto | Mouse Exterminators Toronto - May 28th, 2015
- Rats - Ask The Exterminator - May 22nd, 2015
- Rat Exterminator New Jersey | New Jersey Rat Mouse Pest ... - May 22nd, 2015
- Norway Rat Extermination in Long Island, New York ... - May 20th, 2015
- Rat Control Toronto - Rats Exterminator Toronto - May 20th, 2015
- Exterminator Indianapolis IN | Mice & Rodent Removal ... - May 19th, 2015
- Exterminator in Springfield, IL - Terminix - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Clearwater Fl Rat Exterminator - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Exterminator in Canyon Lake CA | Bee Removal Rat Problem Commercial Pest Control - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Park Slope Pest Control 718-517-9211 Exterminator Service Brooklyn, 24 Hour Bed Bug Specialists - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Ant-Juan Calls an Exterminator - Video - November 1st, 2012
- orange county rat control 714-653-1141, OC exterminators, OC pest control, tustin,santa ana, - Video - February 10th, 2012
- Final Fantasy Tactics Heaven Knights, Sand Rat Exterminators - Video - February 9th, 2012
- Rat Extermination - Video - February 2nd, 2012
- Die Antwoord Is Back, Freaky, in Need of an Exterminator - February 1st, 2012
- Lets Play Final Fantasy IX #031 - Rat Exterminators - Video - January 28th, 2012
- The Rat Exterminators IV-O project - Video - January 9th, 2012
- The Exterminator (The rat Dungeon) Part 3. - Video - December 6th, 2011
- Tampa Rat Exterminator - Video - November 29th, 2011
- Rats! NYC's top exterminators - September 9th, 2011
- Let's Play: Morrowind - Part 7 (Wes the Exterminator) - August 13th, 2011
- Kennywood Exterminator POV - July 12th, 2011
- Sun City CA | Exterminator Rat Problem Pest Control Companies Roach Infestation CA - July 7th, 2011
- I'm Not An Exterminator - June 28th, 2011
- MAD Exterminators - June 14th, 2011
- Exterminator Roach Infestation :: Norco CA :: Rat Problem :: Pest Control Companies - May 24th, 2011
- NJ Pest Control Exterminators ~ Bedbug Mice Rats Termites Bees Cockroaches Flies - May 21st, 2011
- HAROLD--The Rat Exterminator .4 - May 20th, 2011
- Jamie Kennedy Experiment - Rat Exterminator - May 12th, 2011
- Pest Control : Eliminate Rodent ( Mice Rats) with a Specialist North Jersey Exterminators - May 10th, 2011
- Angelus Rat Extermination - May 8th, 2011