PAWCATUCK The rat population has decreased dramatically at a home found to be infested a few weeks ago, health officials said Friday.
Ryan McCammon, supervisor of environmental health for the Ledge Light Health District, which replaced the towns health department in late April, said the town was working with Terrance Holbrook, who co-owns the house at 1 Milan Terrace with Ronald Kutz. Holbrooks sister, Rebecca Holbrook, also resides at the home. In April, police received complaints about rats on the property, McCammon said. About June 1, Ledge Light issued a public health order for a licensed exterminator to assess the home, take steps to eradicate the rats, and eliminate items that attract rats, such as debris, bird feeders and standing water.
Griggs & Browne, a licensed exterminator from Waterford, was hired for abatement work and had removed about 50 dead rats from the property as of June 9, McCammon said.
From this section: Pawcatuck Middle School Trimester 3 Honor Roll
On June 9, McCammon and First Selectman Rob Simmons held a public meeting for area residents at the police station to go over preventive and abatement measures since the rats were spreading into surrounding neighborhoods.
On June 12, McCammon said he went door to door in the surrounding neighborhoods, including Frank Street, homes nearby on Broad Street, and Swan Street, to pass out information.
We canvassed the entire neighborhood so everyone has my card, he said.
McCammon reported Wednesday that Griggs & Browne has been visiting the home every three or four days to check the traps.
Last week, they went out to check the bait stations and there were no rats, so the population of rats over the last couple of weeks has been coming down, McCammon said.
Rats can breed quickly and the decrease could be simply an indication of a gestation period before the next round of rats, he cautioned.
To help with the removal of debris at the home, the Town of Stonington has provided a dumpster, which McCammon said has been filled and emptied at least once and possibly twice.
The town is committed to keep sending the dumpsters out there until we get the debris picked up, he said.
On Friday afternoon, McCammon reported he had met with Terrance Holbrook that morning and observed progress in the cleanup of the property.
I was happy to see that the carport area, which is just outside the house, had been cleared of all debris and one of the rooms inside the house had been cleared out and they were in the process of working on the rest of the areas, he said.
Fridays report from Griggs & Brown showed no rat activity inside the house and moderate activity outside the house, he said.
They didnt see any rats this time but they did see that some of the bait had been eaten and theres also the possibility that chipmunks or other things got into it, he said. Im glad to see were not getting as much activity at the property.
McCammon also said he hadnt received any reports of rat sightings from neighbors in the last week.
I talked to two people in the last week who both said they had seen rats in previous weeks but hadnt seen any in the last week, he said. Thats good but it doesnt necessarily mean theyre completely eliminated.
The town will continue to work with the property owner to expedite the clearing of debris, especially in the homes interior, he said.
I think weve turned a corner with this and weve been able to get a lot of the debris, McCammon said. Were not done yet, but its a really good first step.
For more information, contact McCammon at 860-535-5010 or go to http://www.ledgelighthd.org.
See the original post here:
Progress seen in rat removal - The Westerly Sun
- 2020 Rat Extermination Cost | Rats in Attic Removal Cost - July 11th, 2020
- Council house tenant: 'I shared my home with rats for 11 hellish years' - Stoke-on-Trent Live - July 8th, 2020
- Cleveland Heights apartment building seeing more rats, some wonder if coronavirus is to blame - WJW FOX 8 News Cleveland - June 27th, 2020
- Why You Should Hand Over Your Home Pest Problem to Private Exterminators? - The Good Men Project - June 13th, 2020
- From Iceland Wasps Will "Definitely Come Again" - Reykjavk Grapevine - June 10th, 2020
- What Is a 'Super Rat'? It Has Nothing to Do With Super Powers - Newsweek - May 29th, 2020
- More COVID-19 damage: New animal shelter on hold - The Harvell gazette - May 21st, 2020
- The Bachelor Presents: Listen to Your Heart, Season 1, Episode 6 - Monsters and Critics - May 19th, 2020
- Rat Extermination Tips from RatControlTricks.com The ... - May 17th, 2020
- Rat Control: Get Rid of Rats - Orkin.com - May 14th, 2020
- Jen & Judy Did the Most to Get Away With Murder in 'Dead to Me' Season 2 - STYLECASTER - May 9th, 2020
- City of Castlegar receives its first reports of rats - Castlegar News - April 26th, 2020
- Council to Wait for Progress Report as Haverhill's Health Inspectors Decline to Condemn Animal Shelter - WHAV News - April 23rd, 2020
- 'Rats the Size of Cats' Colonize 89th Street Tree Bed for Months; DOT Responds After WSR Inquiry - westsiderag.com - April 16th, 2020
- Rat Control: Expert Treatment for Rat Infestations | Rentokil - April 12th, 2020
- Pests Are Using The COVID-19 Outbreak In Malta To Rear Their Ugly Heads Again - Lovin Malta - April 7th, 2020
- Rats on the rise as shutdown cuts their food supply - Observer - April 6th, 2020
- Effective Tips on Sealing Off Entry Points and Trapping Mice - iDigitalTrends - April 2nd, 2020
- Chad Risks Abby Seeing Him Locking Gabi and Kate in the Secret Room in the Tunnels - Soaps.com - March 26th, 2020
- Every NHL player to play in their 40s - Yardbarker - March 26th, 2020
- ROTHENBURGER When are we going to do something about the rat invasion? - CFJC Today Kamloops - March 13th, 2020
- Its Always Sunny: 10 Worst Examples Of Charlie Work, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2020
- Rats are New Yorkers just like humans in the city; have genetically adapted to life in the Big Apple - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - March 1st, 2020
- 7 surprise costs of owning a home that made me glad I'd been saving money - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- No Little Houses on the Prairie with too-small units in Allston, board decides - Universal Hub - February 25th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Roof Rats in the Attic: Infestation Control - February 17th, 2020
- Food Mart busted for rat infestation fails follow-up inspection - CBS46 News Atlanta - February 11th, 2020
- LETTER: Reader seeks city action on rat problem in Vernon - Vernon Morning Star - January 10th, 2020
- Malibu wants to ban all pesticides. The state of California says that's against the law - Bryan-College Station Eagle - January 3rd, 2020
- Increasing number of rats spotted on Brussels Grand Place - The Brussels Times - December 25th, 2019
- The director of this movie about rats has some novel ideas about Trump and filmmaking - Stock Daily Dish - December 11th, 2019
- Three and Out: Sunday Night Football Predictions - Battle Red Blog - December 3rd, 2019
- Tips for keeping rats out of home and garden - Hood River News - November 27th, 2019
- Little Red Truck to the rescue | Columnists - Anchorage Press - November 27th, 2019
- Every Episode of MST3KRANKED! (#150 #101) - The Workprint - November 26th, 2019
- From leech collectors to knocker-ups, here are 16 weird jobs that no longer exist - Ladders - November 26th, 2019
- Rodent Sightings and Rat Complaints on the Rise in Canada - AM800 (iHeartRadio) - November 24th, 2019
- Pool: Snakes and the perils of nature | Opinion - Longview News-Journal - November 17th, 2019
- The Best Rat Exterminators Near Me (with Free Estimates) - October 10th, 2019
- Rat Facts: What They Eat, Size ... - Western Exterminator - October 4th, 2019
- Where to live in New York City to avoid cockroaches, rats ... - April 12th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - February 27th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Little Rascals Rodents - Rats in the Attic, Rat ... - November 19th, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- San Antonio Pest Control | Bed Bugs, Fleas, Rats ... - May 13th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- Info Center: Learn about Rodents | Terminix - March 16th, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- VIDEO: Berkeley neighborhood sees rise in rat infestations - KRON4.com - September 8th, 2017
- 'Ratpocalypse' Caused by Climate Change Could Increase Spread of Disease - Healthline - September 8th, 2017
- Public health asked to find rat problem solutions - St. Catharines Standard - September 7th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Rodents take over home while family flees wildfires - CBC.ca - September 2nd, 2017
- Waldwick Residents In Search Of Solution For Sudden Surge In Rat Sightings - CBS New York - September 2nd, 2017
- Rat reports across Wichita are 'highly unusual,' biologist says - Wichita Eagle - September 2nd, 2017
- 'Rat Boom' Besieges NJ Town - NBC 10 Philadelphia - September 2nd, 2017
- Oh, rats! Waldwick residents say rodents have overtaken neighborhood - NorthJersey.com - August 28th, 2017
- Forced out by rats - Burnaby Now - August 24th, 2017
- Township Addresses Rodent Issue in Putnam Manor Area After ... - TAPinto.net - August 23rd, 2017
- Modesto tenants living in condemned building sue landlord - Modesto Bee - August 22nd, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Cadtle Hills News - August 20th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- Urban rodentologist says concerted effort will be needed to stop rats - The Westerly Sun - August 11th, 2017
- 15 recognized by Rochester city manager - News - fosters.com ... - Foster's Daily Democrat - July 31st, 2017
- Rats taking over Brooklyn grandmother's home - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - July 13th, 2017
- Pawcatuck rat problem gets worse - The Westerly Sun - July 13th, 2017
- Rats worry Sun Cities homeowners - YourWestValley.com - July 5th, 2017