LOS ANGELES Wilmar Mejia stood behind his pickup truck in the hills of Malibu, watching a hawk soar overhead. Ahead lay the job, a mid-century ranch house with a glittering aquamarine pool and breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean.
Moments later, he shimmied into the houses low-slung attic, crawling through tufts of white insulation studded with fresh rat droppings.
Youve got tenants and theyre not paying rent! the exterminator said with a grin.
Mejia has been evicting vermin from Malibu for more than a decade. In lieu of brodifacoum blood-thinners ubiquitous poisons so effective that hawks regularly bleed to death after eating mice that have eaten them his new boutique pest control company, Tree of Life, uses snap traps and steel wool to keep rodents in check.
Its about controlling the problem without the use of poisons that affect everything else, Mejia said. That hawk flying around, thats what were protecting.
If the city of Malibu gets its way, Mejias methods will soon be the rule. Earlier this month, the City Council approved a sweeping chemical ban that could pave the way for other coastal cities looking to protect wildlife by limiting toxicants.
But state officials say it runs afoul of the law.
We passed a ban not just on rodenticides but on all pesticides, said Malibu Mayor Pro Tem Mikke Pierson. Of course, the Department of Pesticide Regulation said absolutely we cant do it.
California is one of more than 40 states that restrict how local governments can regulate pesticides. For decades, the states food and agriculture code has preempted municipalities like Malibu from limiting their use in almost any way.
We believe (Malibus) action exceeds their authority and the proposed ordinance would be preempted, state Department of Pesticide Regulation spokeswoman Charlotte Fadipe wrote in an email.
But Malibu officials say their ban skirts that law in a bureaucratic pas de deux with the Coastal Commission, a state agency not subject to preemption. The commission is expected to approve the anti-pesticide measure as an amendment to Malibus local coastal program early next year. If successful, it could be a model for scores of other cities in the commissions area of responsibility.
Were basing our local coastal program amendment on what (unincorporated LA) County did in 2014, said activist Joel Schulman of Poison Free Malibu, the group that spearheaded the initiative. I actually went to the Coastal Commission meeting and asked them to help spread the same kind of prohibitions up and down the coastal zone.
Activists say pesticides of all types threaten Californias wildlife, from the iconic monarch butterfly to the endangered San Joaquin fox. But the fight against brodifacoum and other similar rat poisons brought their movement mainstream particularly after they were linked to the deaths of local mountain lions.
This year we had two adult males, big adult males who just dropped dead in the middle of Topanga Canyon State Park, said Dr. Seth Riley, a wildlife ecologist with the National Park Service. (One) had five liters of blood in his abdominal cavity.
These substances known as second generation anticoagulant rodenticides work by inhibiting vitamin K, a micronutrient critical for blood clotting; without it even a small injury can cause a massive hemorrhage. Other rat poisons kill wildlife, too, but brodifacoum and its ilk are singularly deadly because they remain potent for months.
Vitamin D3 can kill a mouse within hours, but wont kill a cat that eats that mouse, even though it is highly toxic to cats, experts said. Brodifacoum, by contrast, can kill a mountain lion that eats the liver of a coyote thats spent weeks eating rats that gorged themselves on the anticoagulant for days before they started to hemorrhage.
The first thing they do is go for organs like the liver, and the liver is where these things get stored, Riley said. A mountain lion that eats a coyote could get a huge dose of these toxicants all at once.
The poisons fatal climb up the food chain is what led the Environmental Protection Agency to restrict its use to professional exterminators in 2011. Those restrictions have led to a surge in pet poisonings with other, fast-acting rodenticides still available at big box and home improvement stores, many of which can be harder to treat.
Weve seen a tremendous spike, said Dr. Ahna Brutlag, senior veterinary toxicologist at the national Pet Poison Helpline. There was very good safety data on anticoagulant rodenticide, which is easy to detect and easy to treat with vitamin K. But bromethalin (a neurotoxin) could be a problem.
At the same time, new laws have done little to stem the flow of anticoagulants into the wild. Assemblyman Richard Bloom (D-Santa Monica) sponsored a bill that would have banned the toxins across California, but it stalled in the Senate appropriations committee this fall.
Anticoagulant rodenticides are just one element of the larger problem of long-lasting poisons introduced to our coastal environment that place biological resources and sensitive habitats at risk, state Sen. Henry Stern (D-Canoga Park) wrote in a letter supporting the Malibu ordinance. I encourage you to take the necessary steps to protect our cherished natural habitats and wildlife.
Hawks, owls, foxes, coyotes all are threatened by the proliferation of poisons that inhibit vitamin K, scientists say. But the link to Californias most celebrated predator may not be so clear.
Cats whether theyre wild like a mountain lion or domestic like the tabby in the home are relatively resistant to anticoagulant rodenticides compared to domestic dogs or wild canids like the fox, said Dr. Robert Poppenga, a professor of veterinary toxicology at UC Davis who has studied a wide range of wild species poisoned by rodenticides from illegal marijuana grows.
Any big cat that bleeds to death has almost certainly died from rodenticide exposure, the expert said. But scientists like Riley believe brodifacoum is also responsible for the deaths of scores of wildcats that succumbed to mange, and those are the numbers politicians and activists touted in support of the pesticide ban.
Im looking at whats known about how these rodenticides actually work, and its a little hard for me to see how theyre having a significant impact on the immune system, Poppenga said. I have my concerns theres not a true cause and effect thats been proven at this point.
Like others, he warned the dangers posed by rodents were also significant, and well established by science.
Vector borne disease control is very important to safeguard public health, a Los Angeles County Department of Health spokesman wrote in an email. If needed, rodenticides can be effective at controlling rodents that might spread diseases like flea-borne typhus or plague when used by licensed pest control operators.
But Mejia, the exterminator, said there were better ways to protect public health in places like Malibu.
Believe me, we need to keep the population of these vermin under control, by all means, Mejia said. But there are alternatives to poison, because poison is killing everything else.
2019 Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at http://www.latimes.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
PHOTO (for help with images, contact 312-222-4194):
- What Is a 'Super Rat'? It Has Nothing to Do With Super Powers - Newsweek - May 29th, 2020
- More COVID-19 damage: New animal shelter on hold - The Harvell gazette - May 21st, 2020
- The Bachelor Presents: Listen to Your Heart, Season 1, Episode 6 - Monsters and Critics - May 19th, 2020
- Rat Extermination Tips from RatControlTricks.com The ... - May 17th, 2020
- Rat Control: Get Rid of Rats - Orkin.com - May 14th, 2020
- Jen & Judy Did the Most to Get Away With Murder in 'Dead to Me' Season 2 - STYLECASTER - May 9th, 2020
- City of Castlegar receives its first reports of rats - Castlegar News - April 26th, 2020
- Council to Wait for Progress Report as Haverhill's Health Inspectors Decline to Condemn Animal Shelter - WHAV News - April 23rd, 2020
- 'Rats the Size of Cats' Colonize 89th Street Tree Bed for Months; DOT Responds After WSR Inquiry - westsiderag.com - April 16th, 2020
- Rat Control: Expert Treatment for Rat Infestations | Rentokil - April 12th, 2020
- Pests Are Using The COVID-19 Outbreak In Malta To Rear Their Ugly Heads Again - Lovin Malta - April 7th, 2020
- Rats on the rise as shutdown cuts their food supply - Observer - April 6th, 2020
- Effective Tips on Sealing Off Entry Points and Trapping Mice - iDigitalTrends - April 2nd, 2020
- Chad Risks Abby Seeing Him Locking Gabi and Kate in the Secret Room in the Tunnels - Soaps.com - March 26th, 2020
- Every NHL player to play in their 40s - Yardbarker - March 26th, 2020
- ROTHENBURGER When are we going to do something about the rat invasion? - CFJC Today Kamloops - March 13th, 2020
- Its Always Sunny: 10 Worst Examples Of Charlie Work, Ranked - Screen Rant - March 9th, 2020
- Rats are New Yorkers just like humans in the city; have genetically adapted to life in the Big Apple - International Business Times, Singapore Edition - March 1st, 2020
- 7 surprise costs of owning a home that made me glad I'd been saving money - Business Insider - February 29th, 2020
- No Little Houses on the Prairie with too-small units in Allston, board decides - Universal Hub - February 25th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Roof Rats in the Attic: Infestation Control - February 17th, 2020
- Food Mart busted for rat infestation fails follow-up inspection - CBS46 News Atlanta - February 11th, 2020
- LETTER: Reader seeks city action on rat problem in Vernon - Vernon Morning Star - January 10th, 2020
- Increasing number of rats spotted on Brussels Grand Place - The Brussels Times - December 25th, 2019
- The director of this movie about rats has some novel ideas about Trump and filmmaking - Stock Daily Dish - December 11th, 2019
- Three and Out: Sunday Night Football Predictions - Battle Red Blog - December 3rd, 2019
- Tips for keeping rats out of home and garden - Hood River News - November 27th, 2019
- Little Red Truck to the rescue | Columnists - Anchorage Press - November 27th, 2019
- Every Episode of MST3KRANKED! (#150 #101) - The Workprint - November 26th, 2019
- From leech collectors to knocker-ups, here are 16 weird jobs that no longer exist - Ladders - November 26th, 2019
- Rodent Sightings and Rat Complaints on the Rise in Canada - AM800 (iHeartRadio) - November 24th, 2019
- Pool: Snakes and the perils of nature | Opinion - Longview News-Journal - November 17th, 2019
- The Best Rat Exterminators Near Me (with Free Estimates) - October 10th, 2019
- Rat Facts: What They Eat, Size ... - Western Exterminator - October 4th, 2019
- Where to live in New York City to avoid cockroaches, rats ... - April 12th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - February 27th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Little Rascals Rodents - Rats in the Attic, Rat ... - November 19th, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- San Antonio Pest Control | Bed Bugs, Fleas, Rats ... - May 13th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- Info Center: Learn about Rodents | Terminix - March 16th, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- VIDEO: Berkeley neighborhood sees rise in rat infestations - KRON4.com - September 8th, 2017
- 'Ratpocalypse' Caused by Climate Change Could Increase Spread of Disease - Healthline - September 8th, 2017
- Public health asked to find rat problem solutions - St. Catharines Standard - September 7th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Rodents take over home while family flees wildfires - CBC.ca - September 2nd, 2017
- Waldwick Residents In Search Of Solution For Sudden Surge In Rat Sightings - CBS New York - September 2nd, 2017
- Rat reports across Wichita are 'highly unusual,' biologist says - Wichita Eagle - September 2nd, 2017
- 'Rat Boom' Besieges NJ Town - NBC 10 Philadelphia - September 2nd, 2017
- Oh, rats! Waldwick residents say rodents have overtaken neighborhood - NorthJersey.com - August 28th, 2017
- Forced out by rats - Burnaby Now - August 24th, 2017
- Township Addresses Rodent Issue in Putnam Manor Area After ... - TAPinto.net - August 23rd, 2017
- Modesto tenants living in condemned building sue landlord - Modesto Bee - August 22nd, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Cadtle Hills News - August 20th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- Urban rodentologist says concerted effort will be needed to stop rats - The Westerly Sun - August 11th, 2017
- 15 recognized by Rochester city manager - News - fosters.com ... - Foster's Daily Democrat - July 31st, 2017
- Rats taking over Brooklyn grandmother's home - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - July 13th, 2017
- Pawcatuck rat problem gets worse - The Westerly Sun - July 13th, 2017
- Rats worry Sun Cities homeowners - YourWestValley.com - July 5th, 2017
- Rats, Mad Mex in University City is shut down again - Billy Penn - July 1st, 2017
- Progress seen in Stonington rat-removal efforts in Millan Terrace area - The Westerly Sun - June 28th, 2017
- Justice Woman Arrested For Bringing Rat Remains Into Village Board Meeting: VIDEO - Patch.com - June 27th, 2017
- Progress seen in rat removal - The Westerly Sun - June 25th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- County health department battles growing rat population - wivb.com - June 17th, 2017