Dr Anurudha Padeniya, President of the GMOA in a LankaCNews presentation overwhelmed this writer with trepidation and fear. What is his mission in public fear-mongering?
The title of his talk (in Sinhala) was Agrochemical which is a mass-exterminator kills ten times more than Corona. He claims that while the Corona has killed 500 patients per year, the Rajarata Chronic Kidney Disease of Unknown etiology (CKDu) kills ten times more. Incidentally, the etiology of the kidney disease is now known, and the u from the acronym, should be removed. He confidently claims that CKD is caused by agrochemicals. Regrettably, he appears to know neither the research nor the statistics on the subject.
No evidence that the kidney disease is caused by agrochemicals
First, let me present a quick profile of the key research findings.
International Consultation on CKDu in Sri Lanka (2017) concluded that there was NO EVIDENCE that agrochemicals caused CKDu.
Dr. Padeniya is still in 2013, when a WHO study tentatively stated that CkDu patients secreted more trace amounts of cadmium, arsenic and some pesticide residues in their urine, compared to reference limits. However, the Report, for some unknown reason, did not reveal, as shown from subsequent analysis of the raw data, that there were two to four times more subjects in the non-CKD control area (Hambantota) with HIGHER cadmium, arsenic and pesticide levels than in the CKD area.
A dramatic study compared two adjacent villages in Girandurukotte, namely, Badulupura, on high ground where the people exclusively drank water from dug wells and Sarabhumi in the plain where the people drank water from the river, reservoir or wells dug close to their homes. The Baduluprua people contracted the disease, which affecting virtually none from Sarabhumi. Analysis of the water in the wells in the Badulupura and Sarabhumi revealed that the Badulupura water was hard and heavily contaminated with fluoride, a highly nephrotoxic chemical, while being FREE OF AGROCHEMICALS.
Further evidence for a role for fluoride in the disease is that CKD patients also often have dental fluorosis.
Several independent research groups also have shown that high fluoride and magnesium contents in the hard water of the wells (fed by regolith aquifers) were the causative agents of CKD.
Further, the Medical Faculty, University of Peradeniya and the Institute of Fundamental studies, showed that rats fed with fluoride containing hard water contracted the disease, but not those fed with tap water.This was independently confirmed by Dr. Thammitiyagoda et al using well water from an endemic area (Ceylon Medical Journal 2018).
University of Tokyo studies on input water (2020) used in reverse-osmosis units in Ginnoruwa also confirmed the link to fluoride and magnesium, and the absence of agrochemicals in the water.
Meanwhile, Badulupura households were provided roof-top tanks for harvesting rainwater. Consequently, with the drinking of rain water, the incidence of CKDu in the village DECLINED over the years.
Now people in the CKDu affected areas are aware of the etiological agent and avoid drinking well water. With all this evidence deleting the u from CKDu is justifiable
Fertilizer and pesticide consumption
Displaying a copy of the Dinamina, Dr Padeniya uncritically claimed that Sri Lanka is the worlds highest consumer of agrochemicals as reported in that paper. Regrettably, He has rushed to the microphone without checking authentic sources.
Table 1 gives the World Bank fertilizer and pesticide consumption figures of several countries which shows that Sri Lanka consumes the LEAST amount of agrochemicals in this part of the world, even below India. That is not all. As reported by the Department of Agriculture, from 2006, we have reduced the use of the most toxic, Class 1 and 2 pesticides by 98% and 29% respectively, and increased the least toxic ones of Class 3 and 4 by 91% and 41% respectively.
However, there is rampant overuse of agrochemicals resulting in the presence of phosphates and nitrogen in the runoff water. But, according to chemical analyses by Prof. Chandrajith et al., University of Peradeniya, no heavy metals above reference levels have been detected in the aquatic bodies, confirming the studies by University of Tokyo. So educating the farmers and misinformed gurus like Dr. Padeniya is needed. I have, in my The Island article, May 19, 2021, already dealt with the need to educate the farmers for which strengthening the drastically run down agricultural extension service is a critical need.
Returning to old food habits and traditional varieties
The good doctor is recommending a return to old food habits and traditional rice varieties which, he claims, are more nutritious and healthy another claim unsubstantiated by appropriate research.
Together with Ven. Ratana and the toxin-free agriculture group, during the Yahapalana regime, Dr. Padeniya claims planting traditional varieties (TVs) or rice which yield at best only 30-40% of that of the new improved varieties (NIVs); see Table 2. His claims that although low yielding, the TVs have high nutritious with health benefits. Sadly, he is not aware that, apart from very high yields some of the new varieties have much of those attributes. However, the staple food provides the calories, while the other nutrients are usually obtained from other foods.
If we go back to the TVs, as evident from Table 2, we need at least double the current extent of land under rice to feed the population. And where is the land? Norman Borlaug, Nobel Laureate and the Father of the Green Revolution, addressing the Nobel forum in 2000, reminded the environmentalists and other critics of the Green Revolution technologies, the likes of Dr Padeniya, that had the pre-green revolution of yields of the 1950s remained today the world would need three times more land to feed the population with far more disastrous environmental consequences than we have today with conventional farming.
Re-installing sekkuvas in the villages for coconut oil production Another of Dr Padeni
yas half-baked recommendations is to make pure coconut oil using sekkuwas (stone mills worked by oxen), to stop palm oil consumption. Palm oil is the worlds number one vegetable oil with an over 40% global output; and over 50% inclusion in our food etc. Its as safe as any other saturated fats, and many health benefits have been claimed for it. He is one of the key advisers to the governments foolish move to ban palm oil and uproot existing oil palm cultivations. However, the palm oil import ban had to be lifted. No country has banned palm oil except Sri Lanka.
The sekkuwa proposal is more pie in the sky than going fully organic. Besides, it carries the high risk of afflotoxin contamination. The villagers usually sun and air-dry the coconut kernel, thus inviting the fungus Aspergillus to produce afflotoxin. According to a Coconut Research Institute food expert, a sekkuwa cannot be totally cleaned of bits of poonac, an ideal medium for Aspergillus growth.
Dr Padeniya often quotes the wise words of Hippocrates(460-370 BC), the father of medicine: Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food. And yet, Dr. Padeniya knows that even the best food cannot save the world from viral epidemics. Did he not get his vaccine shots? Even if food were the only issue, the massive and increasing global population and the limited land and water, make conventional agriculture the only viable approach, while ever correcting its weaknesses. Organic farming experts like Adrian Mueller agree that its two percent output can never be increased to feed the world. It was abandoned in the 1850s when, even then, it failed to provide food to the increasing population globally.
Dr. Padeniya says we have been eating poison since 1950, but our life expectancy has steadily increased since then. It is far more appropriate in the current context of global agriculture for him to preach the wise words of the father of pharmacology, Bombastus Paracelsus, rather than those of Hippocrates: All substances are poisons, there is nothing which is not a poison. It is the dosage that differentiates poison and remedy. The farmers need to judiciously use agrochemicals. Then the poison becomes remedy.
He would also do well to remember the wise words of Lord Buddha: Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence.
Dr Parakrama Waidyanatha
The rest is here:
LankaWeb GMOA President Misleading the Public - Lankaweb
- NYC's rat problem is out of control and it's not doing enough to stop it - New York Post - June 7th, 2022
- 'Vermin' politics: Human-wildlife conflict mitigation needs to be based on science, not historical biases - Down To Earth Magazine - June 7th, 2022
- Does Ammonia Keep Rats Away? - Exterminator NYC - May 19th, 2022
- Rat problem in DC sparks calls for investigation from neighborhood group - FOX 5 DC - May 19th, 2022
- Pay It 4ward: Fighting gophers on sacred soil - KFOR Oklahoma City - May 19th, 2022
- Rat home invasions in Montreal have increased since the pandemic, exterminators say - CTV News Montreal - May 7th, 2022
- 11 Pests That Pose a Threat to Your Pets - Bob Vila - May 7th, 2022
- License commissioners watching Little Caesars after allegations of rats, trash and 'oozing' bags - Worcester Telegram - May 7th, 2022
- The Squirrelly Story of the $500 Mothers Day Gift I Didnt Ask For - CBC.ca - May 7th, 2022
- N.Y.C. Rats: Theyre in the Park, on Your Block and Even at Your Table - The New York Times - November 6th, 2021
- Bronx tenants say rats have infested apartment building, climbing through walls - News 12 Bronx - November 6th, 2021
- Agricultural Pest Control Market Insights, Overview and Forecast with SWOT Analysis The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 19th, 2021
- Bed Bug Exterminator Cleveland Offers Cleveland Residents with Effective Bed Bug Treatments for Comfortable Night Sleep - Digital Journal - July 19th, 2021
- Beverly residents want city to help with rat problems - The Salem News - July 5th, 2021
- Rat Problem Spills Over Into City Council Meeting In Beverly | WBZ NewsRadio 1030 - KFI AM 640 - July 5th, 2021
- If You See This in Your Attic, Call an Exterminator Now - Best Life - May 13th, 2021
- Reputable Rat Exterminator Posts New Blog On How to Get Rid of These Nuisance Pests - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 24th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator Jackson MS | Mice & Rat Pest Control ... - August 16th, 2020
- Dallas Rat Exterminators | Vinx Home Services Inc - August 16th, 2020
- 2020 Rat Extermination Cost | Rats in Attic Removal Cost - July 11th, 2020
- Why You Should Hand Over Your Home Pest Problem to Private Exterminators? - The Good Men Project - June 13th, 2020
- Rat Extermination Tips from RatControlTricks.com The ... - May 17th, 2020
- The Best Rat Exterminators Near Me (with Free Estimates) - October 10th, 2019
- Rat Facts: What They Eat, Size ... - Western Exterminator - October 4th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- Mighty Rats Mice Exterminator To Seattle Home and Commercial Businesses Buildings - Digital Journal - May 3rd, 2017
- Got Rodents? Mice, Rats Exterminator: Canberra Pest Control - April 30th, 2017
- Rat Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - February 19th, 2017
- Best Exterminating : Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator ... - February 11th, 2017
- Camelback Crickets - Ask The Exterminator - November 30th, 2016
- Pest Control Las Vegas, NV | Western Exterminator - November 16th, 2016
- Rat Exterminators | RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - October 22nd, 2015
- Ask The Exterminator - September 25th, 2015
- Atlanta Rodent Control Rats, Mice, Bats Exterminator - July 2nd, 2015
- Rat Exterminator - Mouse, Mice, Rodent Extermination - June 1st, 2015
- What Does a Rat Exterminator Do? (with pictures) - June 1st, 2015
- Mice Removal Toronto | Mouse Exterminators Toronto - May 28th, 2015
- Rats - Ask The Exterminator - May 22nd, 2015
- Rat Exterminator New Jersey | New Jersey Rat Mouse Pest ... - May 22nd, 2015
- Norway Rat Extermination in Long Island, New York ... - May 20th, 2015
- Rat Control Toronto - Rats Exterminator Toronto - May 20th, 2015
- Exterminator Indianapolis IN | Mice & Rodent Removal ... - May 19th, 2015
- Exterminator in Springfield, IL - Terminix - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Clearwater Fl Rat Exterminator - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Exterminator in Canyon Lake CA | Bee Removal Rat Problem Commercial Pest Control - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Park Slope Pest Control 718-517-9211 Exterminator Service Brooklyn, 24 Hour Bed Bug Specialists - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Ant-Juan Calls an Exterminator - Video - November 1st, 2012
- orange county rat control 714-653-1141, OC exterminators, OC pest control, tustin,santa ana, - Video - February 10th, 2012
- Final Fantasy Tactics Heaven Knights, Sand Rat Exterminators - Video - February 9th, 2012
- Rat Extermination - Video - February 2nd, 2012
- Die Antwoord Is Back, Freaky, in Need of an Exterminator - February 1st, 2012
- Lets Play Final Fantasy IX #031 - Rat Exterminators - Video - January 28th, 2012
- The Rat Exterminators IV-O project - Video - January 9th, 2012
- The Exterminator (The rat Dungeon) Part 3. - Video - December 6th, 2011
- Tampa Rat Exterminator - Video - November 29th, 2011
- Rats! NYC's top exterminators - September 9th, 2011
- Let's Play: Morrowind - Part 7 (Wes the Exterminator) - August 13th, 2011
- Kennywood Exterminator POV - July 12th, 2011
- Sun City CA | Exterminator Rat Problem Pest Control Companies Roach Infestation CA - July 7th, 2011
- I'm Not An Exterminator - June 28th, 2011
- MAD Exterminators - June 14th, 2011
- Exterminator Roach Infestation :: Norco CA :: Rat Problem :: Pest Control Companies - May 24th, 2011