A Burnaby woman whos been sleeping in a tent in her backyard with her 11-year-old son for the last week wants her neighbours to be mindful of attracting rats.
Teresa Anderson has owned her Edmonds area home for more than two decades. She tells the NOW that rats have been a problem in the community for years, with rats breeding out of nearby abandoned homes on 14th Avenue.
Theres a huge problem. You just stand outside and theyre walking in front of you. Its disgusting.
The rodents became a problem in the winter, Anderson adds, when they started to nest in the insulation underneath her floors.
We didnt even know. Then, in November, we started smelling something weird. I blamed it on my husbands riding gear.
An exterminator was called in, but no rats were caught.
Earlier this month, Anderson fell asleep upstairs and awoke to scratching in her attic.
Im staring at the wall, and all of a sudden, a rat from under my sons bedroom area ran down the stairs, she says. I went downstairs and told my husband, Move your car. I gotta get out of here.
For nearly three weeks, Anderson has been sleeping at friends houses, in her car, and most recently, in a tent she pitched in the backyard. One of her sons sleeps there, one sleeps at grandmas house and the other has been told to pack your bags and move into the tent.
Her husband, meanwhile, has taken time off from work to rip out the insulation in the floors.
Due to the smell of urine and fecal matter, the mother of three says shes developed a lung infection and has been put on inhalers and antihistamines.
The thing is, no one is affected here except me, says Anderson.
When she has to go to the bathroom, she says she has to put on a respirator.
Anderson is asking her neighbours to take a really good look at their properties, and make sure garbage isnt sitting out.
Gordon Stewart, Fraser Healths manager of environmental health services in Burnaby, tells the NOW there have been some reported sightings of rats in the Edmonds neighbourhood, but its nothing out of the ordinary.
In an urban area, were going to find rats, theres no surprise. What homeowners need to do is protect their property.
That includes eliminating food sources, he says, such as tending to fruit trees regularly and picking fruit whenever its ripe, to avoid it falling on the ground. The same goes with birdfeeders, and making sure seeds arent dropping down.
If theres bushes they can hide under, if theres woodpiles, if theres sheds, wood foundations, or if theyre concrete, theyve got cracks that rodents can go borrow in there, theyve got to eliminate those hiding and nesting places.
Stewart notes there is a rat baiting program in Burnaby. Folks who have a clean yard, dont have a garden, but still have rats, can contact Fraser Health. Other than that, he says the health authority does educate the public about what it can do to avoid rodent infestation by providing pamphlets and other materials.
Should a neighbour not keep their yard tidy, Stewart says the City of Burnaby does have an unsightly premises bylaw, where people not found in compliance can be fined.
Read more from the original source:
Forced out by rats - Burnaby Now
- Emergency Exterminator In Leeds UK Warns About Rats And Mice - StreetInsider.com - November 19th, 2019
- Pool: Snakes and the perils of nature | Opinion - Longview News-Journal - November 17th, 2019
- The Best Rat Exterminators Near Me (with Free Estimates) - October 10th, 2019
- Rat Facts: What They Eat, Size ... - Western Exterminator - October 4th, 2019
- Where to live in New York City to avoid cockroaches, rats ... - April 12th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - February 27th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Little Rascals Rodents - Rats in the Attic, Rat ... - November 19th, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- San Antonio Pest Control | Bed Bugs, Fleas, Rats ... - May 13th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- Info Center: Learn about Rodents | Terminix - March 16th, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- VIDEO: Berkeley neighborhood sees rise in rat infestations - KRON4.com - September 8th, 2017
- 'Ratpocalypse' Caused by Climate Change Could Increase Spread of Disease - Healthline - September 8th, 2017
- Public health asked to find rat problem solutions - St. Catharines Standard - September 7th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Rodents take over home while family flees wildfires - CBC.ca - September 2nd, 2017
- Waldwick Residents In Search Of Solution For Sudden Surge In Rat Sightings - CBS New York - September 2nd, 2017
- Rat reports across Wichita are 'highly unusual,' biologist says - Wichita Eagle - September 2nd, 2017
- 'Rat Boom' Besieges NJ Town - NBC 10 Philadelphia - September 2nd, 2017
- Oh, rats! Waldwick residents say rodents have overtaken neighborhood - NorthJersey.com - August 28th, 2017
- Township Addresses Rodent Issue in Putnam Manor Area After ... - TAPinto.net - August 23rd, 2017
- Modesto tenants living in condemned building sue landlord - Modesto Bee - August 22nd, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Cadtle Hills News - August 20th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- Urban rodentologist says concerted effort will be needed to stop rats - The Westerly Sun - August 11th, 2017
- 15 recognized by Rochester city manager - News - fosters.com ... - Foster's Daily Democrat - July 31st, 2017
- Rats taking over Brooklyn grandmother's home - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - July 13th, 2017
- Pawcatuck rat problem gets worse - The Westerly Sun - July 13th, 2017
- Rats worry Sun Cities homeowners - YourWestValley.com - July 5th, 2017
- Rats, Mad Mex in University City is shut down again - Billy Penn - July 1st, 2017
- Progress seen in Stonington rat-removal efforts in Millan Terrace area - The Westerly Sun - June 28th, 2017
- Justice Woman Arrested For Bringing Rat Remains Into Village Board Meeting: VIDEO - Patch.com - June 27th, 2017
- Progress seen in rat removal - The Westerly Sun - June 25th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- County health department battles growing rat population - wivb.com - June 17th, 2017
- Rat Burrows Bulldozed and Paved Over Outside Roosevelt Island School - DNAinfo - June 13th, 2017
- Stonington offers help to neighbors battling rat infestation | The ... - The Westerly Sun - June 10th, 2017
- Ledge Light addressing rat infestation in Pawcatuck neighborhood - theday.com (subscription) - June 8th, 2017
- Sewer rats create nightmare for Minnesota homeowner - KPNX 12 News TV - June 6th, 2017
- Cinemadope: City Mouse - Valley Advocate - June 6th, 2017
- Swarms Of Rats Seen Around 2 Schools On Roosevelt Island - CBS New York - June 6th, 2017
- St. Paul sewer rats create nightmare for homeowner | KARE11.com - KARE - June 6th, 2017
- Rats Run Amok Outside Roosevelt Island School - DNAinfo - June 4th, 2017
- From fixing a Bronx man's wheelchair to helping a disabled Harlem woman move Monica is making it happen - New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV - May 27th, 2017
- Ausable pledges money for rat remediation - Sun Community News - May 16th, 2017
- Rat complaint numbers 'nominal,' says city staff - Yahoo News Canada - Yahoo News Canada (blog) - May 13th, 2017
- Rat complaint numbers 'nominal,' says city staff - CBC.ca - May 12th, 2017
- Chickens, composting and uninvited guests - The Register-Guard - May 8th, 2017
- Bawdy rat races return to Northern Kentucky - WCPO Cincinnati, OH - WCPO - May 6th, 2017
- Quincy not plagued by rats like previous 2 years - The Patriot Ledger - May 6th, 2017
- Mighty Rats Mice Exterminator To Seattle Home and Commercial Businesses Buildings - Digital Journal - May 3rd, 2017
- Got Rodents? Mice, Rats Exterminator: Canberra Pest Control - April 30th, 2017
- Birds and the bees can bring misery to Ahwatukee - Ahwatukee Foothills News - April 30th, 2017
- Seattle's rat psychologist will chase rodents away - MyNorthwest.com - April 20th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned ... - Press Release Rocket - April 5th, 2017
- Rats have run of Brooklyn neighborhood - Fox5NY - April 5th, 2017
- Rat infestation prompts relocation of Riverside... - www.ottawacommunitynews.com/ - April 3rd, 2017
- Rodent infestation forces evacuation of Riverside South fire station ... - CBC.ca - April 3rd, 2017
- Restaurant closures reveal Charleston's hidden pests - ABC NEWS 4 - March 30th, 2017
- BOE says Sandy Creek rats are under control - Fayette Newspapers - March 30th, 2017
- Rats and kitchen filth are fodder for naming and shaming restaurants - Ballarat Courier - March 29th, 2017
- Students complain of rat infestation in high school - WSB Radio - March 28th, 2017
- Students say school infested with rats | WSB-TV - WSB Atlanta - March 24th, 2017
- Rat infestation at Orlando senior facility not being fixed, residents say - WFTV Orlando - March 23rd, 2017
- Township continues to monitor rodents, vermin in neighborhoods | C ... - C&G Newspapers - March 16th, 2017
- Documentary 'Rat Film' explores Baltimore's rodent problem and much more - Baltimore Sun - March 16th, 2017