There are different ways to keep rats away from your house and using ammonia is one of the most common methods. Some reasons why ammonia is so commonly used as a rodent-repellent is because its easily found on the market and it can be used in a variety of different ways.
But does it really work: will ammonia actually keep rats away from your place? The answer is yes, but it might not keep them away for long. This chemical has a scent that repels rats. If used correctly, you can keep the pests away for a significant amount of time.
Ammonia is a colorless gas with an apparent smell. It is made of nitrogen, hydrogen, and water and is one of the most commonly produced chemicals in the United States. This chemical is usually used in fertilizer or as an ingredient in cleaning products.
One of the main reasons why ammonia repels rats is because these pests have a strong sense of smell. Rats are nocturnal animals, so their sense of smell can help them easily find food even in the dark.
Their strong sense of smell is also used to detect any danger that is around them. For these rodents, the smell of ammonia imitates the same scent of urine of their predators. This makes the rat think that a predator is nearby and so they avoid it, making ammonia an effective method to keep rats away. This strong ammonia odor is the biggest factor in making it a great rat repellent.
Aside from its strong smell, ammonia can also damage the respiratory systems of rats, making it an extremely toxic chemical for rodents. One study showed that its presence in an environment can damage the trachea of rats. Similarly, other household items like peppermint oil, castor oil, and onions can deter these pests, for the same reasons as ammonia: they have a strong scent.
Using ammonia is an excellent method to keep rats away for a while. Before using the chemical as a repellent, you should take note of the places in your house where rats are present. These rodents are commonly found in dark areas of the house, near the walls. This helps in preventing any more rats from entering and breeding in your home.
One of the common ways to use ammonia as a rat repellent is to simply use the chemical as it is and pour it around the perimeter of your house. But if this is unfeasible, then you can choose one of the methods below:
To use ammonia in homemade rat poison, simply mix around 2 cups of ammonia, 1 cup of water, and 1 tablespoon of detergent in a bowl. You may leave this poison in places where you usually see rats. This is a great way to scare the rodents away and perhaps keep them away for a few weeks, giving you time to find other ways to protect your home.
If you dont want to leave bowls of ammonia-mix around your house, you may want to consider soaking rags in ammonia instead. To do this, you can follow the ammonia solution stated above and then soak some rags or some cotton balls in it.
You can put these rags or cotton balls around your house. This is an excellent way to seal any entry points of these rats into your home. These should be replaced at least every few weeks to maintain its effectiveness.
Since ammonia has a pungent smell that can leave an unpleasant odor around your house, you can also consider using ammonia spray. This method may be less effective but is more appropriate for those who dont want to leave stronger ammonia solutions around their home.
To do this, simply put the ammonia solution stated above inside a spray bottle. You simply want to spray this in places where you find rats to deter the pests. It is important to keep in mind that ammonia can be dangerous, is you should be careful when using this chemical. You should follow all safety precautions before using ammonia as a rat repellent. Prolonged exposure to ammonia can cause eye damage and throat irritation.
When using ammonia, remember to place it in well-ventilated areas to prevent inhalation. You should also keep this chemical away from any flammable materials because it can cause explosions. It is also important to know which substances react badly with ammonia, such as chlorine bleach, other halogens, and heavy metals.
Using ammonia can only be a temporary fix to a rat infestation. This method can be effective but is not a permanent solution to the problem. For a more effective solution to ensure that all rats are eliminated from your place, you may want to call professional help. Here at Positive Pest Management, we provide professional rodent control services in all of New York City and Lower Westchester County.
Our team of professional staff is here to provide superb service at competitive prices. We serve many industries including apartment units, healthcare facilities, and hospitality establishments. You can trust us with meeting your diverse needs regarding rodent and pest control. Simply give us a call whenever the need arises.
Learn more: 4 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Rodents
Read the original here:
Does Ammonia Keep Rats Away? - Exterminator NYC
- NYC's rat problem is out of control and it's not doing enough to stop it - New York Post - June 7th, 2022
- 'Vermin' politics: Human-wildlife conflict mitigation needs to be based on science, not historical biases - Down To Earth Magazine - June 7th, 2022
- Rat problem in DC sparks calls for investigation from neighborhood group - FOX 5 DC - May 19th, 2022
- Pay It 4ward: Fighting gophers on sacred soil - KFOR Oklahoma City - May 19th, 2022
- Rat home invasions in Montreal have increased since the pandemic, exterminators say - CTV News Montreal - May 7th, 2022
- 11 Pests That Pose a Threat to Your Pets - Bob Vila - May 7th, 2022
- License commissioners watching Little Caesars after allegations of rats, trash and 'oozing' bags - Worcester Telegram - May 7th, 2022
- The Squirrelly Story of the $500 Mothers Day Gift I Didnt Ask For - CBC.ca - May 7th, 2022
- N.Y.C. Rats: Theyre in the Park, on Your Block and Even at Your Table - The New York Times - November 6th, 2021
- Bronx tenants say rats have infested apartment building, climbing through walls - News 12 Bronx - November 6th, 2021
- Agricultural Pest Control Market Insights, Overview and Forecast with SWOT Analysis The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 19th, 2021
- Bed Bug Exterminator Cleveland Offers Cleveland Residents with Effective Bed Bug Treatments for Comfortable Night Sleep - Digital Journal - July 19th, 2021
- Beverly residents want city to help with rat problems - The Salem News - July 5th, 2021
- Rat Problem Spills Over Into City Council Meeting In Beverly | WBZ NewsRadio 1030 - KFI AM 640 - July 5th, 2021
- LankaWeb GMOA President Misleading the Public - Lankaweb - June 22nd, 2021
- If You See This in Your Attic, Call an Exterminator Now - Best Life - May 13th, 2021
- Reputable Rat Exterminator Posts New Blog On How to Get Rid of These Nuisance Pests - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 24th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator Jackson MS | Mice & Rat Pest Control ... - August 16th, 2020
- Dallas Rat Exterminators | Vinx Home Services Inc - August 16th, 2020
- 2020 Rat Extermination Cost | Rats in Attic Removal Cost - July 11th, 2020
- Why You Should Hand Over Your Home Pest Problem to Private Exterminators? - The Good Men Project - June 13th, 2020
- Rat Extermination Tips from RatControlTricks.com The ... - May 17th, 2020
- The Best Rat Exterminators Near Me (with Free Estimates) - October 10th, 2019
- Rat Facts: What They Eat, Size ... - Western Exterminator - October 4th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- Mighty Rats Mice Exterminator To Seattle Home and Commercial Businesses Buildings - Digital Journal - May 3rd, 2017
- Got Rodents? Mice, Rats Exterminator: Canberra Pest Control - April 30th, 2017
- Rat Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - February 19th, 2017
- Best Exterminating : Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator ... - February 11th, 2017
- Camelback Crickets - Ask The Exterminator - November 30th, 2016
- Pest Control Las Vegas, NV | Western Exterminator - November 16th, 2016
- Rat Exterminators | RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - October 22nd, 2015
- Ask The Exterminator - September 25th, 2015
- Atlanta Rodent Control Rats, Mice, Bats Exterminator - July 2nd, 2015
- Rat Exterminator - Mouse, Mice, Rodent Extermination - June 1st, 2015
- What Does a Rat Exterminator Do? (with pictures) - June 1st, 2015
- Mice Removal Toronto | Mouse Exterminators Toronto - May 28th, 2015
- Rats - Ask The Exterminator - May 22nd, 2015
- Rat Exterminator New Jersey | New Jersey Rat Mouse Pest ... - May 22nd, 2015
- Norway Rat Extermination in Long Island, New York ... - May 20th, 2015
- Rat Control Toronto - Rats Exterminator Toronto - May 20th, 2015
- Exterminator Indianapolis IN | Mice & Rodent Removal ... - May 19th, 2015
- Exterminator in Springfield, IL - Terminix - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Clearwater Fl Rat Exterminator - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Exterminator in Canyon Lake CA | Bee Removal Rat Problem Commercial Pest Control - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Park Slope Pest Control 718-517-9211 Exterminator Service Brooklyn, 24 Hour Bed Bug Specialists - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Ant-Juan Calls an Exterminator - Video - November 1st, 2012
- orange county rat control 714-653-1141, OC exterminators, OC pest control, tustin,santa ana, - Video - February 10th, 2012
- Final Fantasy Tactics Heaven Knights, Sand Rat Exterminators - Video - February 9th, 2012
- Rat Extermination - Video - February 2nd, 2012
- Die Antwoord Is Back, Freaky, in Need of an Exterminator - February 1st, 2012
- Lets Play Final Fantasy IX #031 - Rat Exterminators - Video - January 28th, 2012
- The Rat Exterminators IV-O project - Video - January 9th, 2012
- The Exterminator (The rat Dungeon) Part 3. - Video - December 6th, 2011
- Tampa Rat Exterminator - Video - November 29th, 2011
- Rats! NYC's top exterminators - September 9th, 2011
- Let's Play: Morrowind - Part 7 (Wes the Exterminator) - August 13th, 2011
- Kennywood Exterminator POV - July 12th, 2011
- Sun City CA | Exterminator Rat Problem Pest Control Companies Roach Infestation CA - July 7th, 2011
- I'm Not An Exterminator - June 28th, 2011
- MAD Exterminators - June 14th, 2011
- Exterminator Roach Infestation :: Norco CA :: Rat Problem :: Pest Control Companies - May 24th, 2011