How Much Does a Rat Exterminator Cost?
The last thing that anyone wants is a rat infestation. These pesky little creatures are not only enough to make you squirm, but they also carry diseases that can make you and your family sick. Rats can quickly become a huge problem In fact, once you see evidence of these furry rodents, you already have a bigger problem than you know.
Rat extermination can be time-consuming, depending on the number of rats and the extent of entry areas where the rats are coming in. The average cost for professional rat extermination ranges between $200-$500, with the average homeowner spending around $350 for bait and trap of small infestation, sealing entry points, and easy to reach areas.
The difficulty of removal is often determined by the location of your rat problem. For example, rats that are in the wall are going to end up costing more to remove. This is because the walls will have to be demolished to get the rats out. Some different locations of rats are:
Rats in the house can be one of the easier problems to solve as the rats are more visible. A professional exterminator will set traps with bait and seal any entry points to avoid reinfestation. Within a few days, he/she will return to remove the dead animals, clean-up and repair. Cost for this is $200-$350.
Outdoor rat problems are taken care of in much the same way as inside your house. The difference is that rats can come back much easier if you dont make some changes. Leaving a lid on your garbage can, keeping grass and weeds under control, even under sheds, feeding house pets indoors, and not using bird feeders, are all ways to discourage rat reinfestation. Cost runs $200-$450.
For rats in the attic, the exterminator will need to access your attic and crawl space. They will place traps and rat bait in several areas. In a couple of days, the exterminator will come back and remove the rats from the traps. Any gaps or holes where the rats are getting in will be sealed up and repaired. Expect to pay around $300-$500.
Rats in the walls are a more extensive job as the drywall1 will need to be opened up and then replaced. The exterminator will use traps and bait. The cost of removing rats in the walls is $450-$600. If rats die in the walls, the smell is awful. In addition, the bacteria from urine can seep through the walls and cause a myriad of illnesses.
Exterminating rats is a messy business. So, you may be asking how to get rid of rats? There are several different methods used by professionals. Most of the methods indicated below fall within the range of $100-$300 when done by professionals to exterminate or remove rats.
They are effective in a situation with only 1 or 2 rats. The consumer is left with disposing of the dead rat. These traps may be dangerous for household pets and children.
These sticky traps are chemical-free and safe for children and animals. If you are an animal lover, this might not be the best choice as it isnt humane.
Live rat traps are a more humane way to capture and then release rats back into the wild. Some rodent capture companies will use these traps and dispose of the animal for you.
A bait station is not a trap. It is a small box that holds the bait. The rat goes in, steals the bait, and later dies. It is a safe alternative as the bait is contained and cannot be removed by children or pets.
A safe option for children and families, baiting rat traps contain a poison within the baiting box. This box should be tamper proof for safety reasons.
Electric rat traps deliver a high-voltage shock for immediate death. This is considered more humane as there is no delay.
Rodenticides are pesticides specifically made to kill rodents. The rodenticide is generally placed in a bait box that attracts the rodents so it is safe from curious children or pets.
Exterminating rats on your own is a dangerous and disgusting job. Professionals are trained and experienced in dealing with the ins and outs of extermination and clean-up. The risks include certain illnesses as well as the risk of being bitten by a rat.
Most professional rat extermination companies will charge a flat rate and possibly a return visit fee to remove dead rats. However, the going hourly rate is $20-$60. The flat rate is typically $200-$500. Some companies will provide a free inspection, while others will charge a rat inspection cost of $150-$300. Costs will vary from state to state.
A small infestation can take as much as 15 hours to treat. A second visit is always necessary to remove traps and dead rats. Many professionals will include the 2nd visit in the flat rate cost of $200-$500. However. subsequent visits may be needed and will be at an additional charge of $50-$150 per visit. More extensive infestations, larger homes and rat problems that are in hard to reach areas can increase the time and cost to as much as $1,200.
There are several factors that determine the cost of getting rid of rats. If you catch the problem early on, you may not have a lot of rats. However, keep in mind the quick rate that rats reproduce, so even if you just see one, there may be more! The more rats you have, the more traps need to be set. It also depends on the location of the rats and how extensive the damage is. The urine smell is a particular concern as it seeps into walls, carpet, and other flooring. Entry holes can add to the cost as well if there are many that need to be sealed. Nests are also an issue as removal of them is important since the rats often urinate and possibly die in the nest.
If you arent paying attention, you may miss some of the early signs of a rat problem. Such rat in a house signs as droppings, nighttime scratching noises, chewed power cords or gnawed wires, holes in walls or ceiling, visible burrows or nests, chewed or missing food, grease smears on walls, flooring or cupboards, and a musky smell. If a rat dies, the odor will be extreme.
It is vital to get treatment for a rat issue as early as possible. Numbers can grow quickly as reproduction occurs at an alarming rate. The population increase, the possible diseases they carry, and the damage that can ensue are all good reasons to hire a professional as soon as possible.
According to the CDC, the health risks associated with cohabiting with rats are great. Diseases that are carried or created by rats are as follows:
One of the most disgusting parts of rat removal is having to deal with dead rats. Many of the same diseases mentioned earlier are also associated with handling dead rats or cleaning up their mess. The cost to just have the dead rat removed is $150-$250.
Rat exclusion is proactive by preventing the rat entry and eliminating areas that may become attractive to rats. There is a fine line between sealing entry areas and blocking appropriate air flow. If a home is too air tight, other problems can occur such as moisture development.
Exclusion experts will check for gaps and holes that you may not be able to see. In addition, certain types of framing can leave areas that invite rats. Professionals will use a sealant called an elastomeric and not just a plain caulk3. It is vital for all products that are used for sealing gaps is a breathable product. You should expect to pay $200-$600 for exclusion.
Rat extermination is often more effective as it uses bait to draw the rodents out and they then die. It is more expensive as it includes sealing of entry points, the traps and bait, removal of the dead rats and clean-up. For a small infestation you will pay about $200-$500. Live rat removal is the act of moving the live rats to a different area. However, do not be fooled because this method may still result in the rats dying as they will be released outdoors in rural areas where food and water sources are limited. This costs $150-$300.
Many companies will provide emergency rat removal. An emergency may be a situation where you have a particularly aggressive rat or discover an extensive infestation that is affecting your home life. Emergency rat control can be performed by setting traps and bait with a return within a few days to further inspect the property. A common price for an emergency visit is $300-$500.
Homeowners should be aware that weatherizing or using spray in foam insulation will not deter rats. There are some door sweep products that are steel fabric with a rubber casing that can keep rats from entering at a cost of $50-$70. Keeping vegetation, grass and weeds cut back, cleaning out garages, kitchen, laundry room, and attic will also discourage rats from feeling comfortable on your property. Keeping food sealed and put away is imperative in the process. Make sure you feed your pets indoors or take up the food immediately after they are done eating. Also, seal any foundational gaps that have occurred over time. Keep your garbage in a can with a lid that is tight.
Cleaning up rat droppings and urine is a key part to removing smells and harmful bacteria. Hiring a biohazard cleaning service will cost you about $200-$550. This will include removing the feces and urine, performing deodorizing and disinfecting as well as a charge for a bio hazard fee.
Rat extermination on average is $200-$500 for a small infestation.
Exterminators use several methods to get rid of rats including traps, bait, electric shock traps, and rodenticides. The dead rats are then removed and all gaps/holes sealed to prevent further entry.
A professional can set traps with bait and then remove the rats for you. You can also hire a company to trap the rats alive and release them in the wild.
Chemical pest control is an effective treatment for rats but it isnt the safest method for humans. Rat exterminators usually choose to use traps and bait rather than rodenticide for safety reasons.
If you see rat droppings or spot an actual rat, it is time to take action. These pesky rodents multiply quickly and the quicker you respond the easier it will be. Most likely if you see one rat, there are more.
The average cost to get rid of rats is $200-$500 for a small infestation.
It can take as long as 15 hours to clear a rat infestation.
- Rat home invasions in Montreal have increased since the pandemic, exterminators say - CTV News Montreal - May 7th, 2022
- 11 Pests That Pose a Threat to Your Pets - Bob Vila - May 7th, 2022
- License commissioners watching Little Caesars after allegations of rats, trash and 'oozing' bags - Worcester Telegram - May 7th, 2022
- The Squirrelly Story of the $500 Mothers Day Gift I Didnt Ask For - CBC.ca - May 7th, 2022
- N.Y.C. Rats: Theyre in the Park, on Your Block and Even at Your Table - The New York Times - November 6th, 2021
- Bronx tenants say rats have infested apartment building, climbing through walls - News 12 Bronx - November 6th, 2021
- Agricultural Pest Control Market Insights, Overview and Forecast with SWOT Analysis The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 19th, 2021
- Bed Bug Exterminator Cleveland Offers Cleveland Residents with Effective Bed Bug Treatments for Comfortable Night Sleep - Digital Journal - July 19th, 2021
- Beverly residents want city to help with rat problems - The Salem News - July 5th, 2021
- Rat Problem Spills Over Into City Council Meeting In Beverly | WBZ NewsRadio 1030 - KFI AM 640 - July 5th, 2021
- LankaWeb GMOA President Misleading the Public - Lankaweb - June 22nd, 2021
- If You See This in Your Attic, Call an Exterminator Now - Best Life - May 13th, 2021
- Reputable Rat Exterminator Posts New Blog On How to Get Rid of These Nuisance Pests - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 24th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator Jackson MS | Mice & Rat Pest Control ... - August 16th, 2020
- Dallas Rat Exterminators | Vinx Home Services Inc - August 16th, 2020
- Why You Should Hand Over Your Home Pest Problem to Private Exterminators? - The Good Men Project - June 13th, 2020
- Rat Extermination Tips from RatControlTricks.com The ... - May 17th, 2020
- The Best Rat Exterminators Near Me (with Free Estimates) - October 10th, 2019
- Rat Facts: What They Eat, Size ... - Western Exterminator - October 4th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- Mighty Rats Mice Exterminator To Seattle Home and Commercial Businesses Buildings - Digital Journal - May 3rd, 2017
- Got Rodents? Mice, Rats Exterminator: Canberra Pest Control - April 30th, 2017
- Rat Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - February 19th, 2017
- Best Exterminating : Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator ... - February 11th, 2017
- Camelback Crickets - Ask The Exterminator - November 30th, 2016
- Pest Control Las Vegas, NV | Western Exterminator - November 16th, 2016
- Rat Exterminators | RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - October 22nd, 2015
- Ask The Exterminator - September 25th, 2015
- Atlanta Rodent Control Rats, Mice, Bats Exterminator - July 2nd, 2015
- Rat Exterminator - Mouse, Mice, Rodent Extermination - June 1st, 2015
- What Does a Rat Exterminator Do? (with pictures) - June 1st, 2015
- Mice Removal Toronto | Mouse Exterminators Toronto - May 28th, 2015
- Rats - Ask The Exterminator - May 22nd, 2015
- Rat Exterminator New Jersey | New Jersey Rat Mouse Pest ... - May 22nd, 2015
- Norway Rat Extermination in Long Island, New York ... - May 20th, 2015
- Rat Control Toronto - Rats Exterminator Toronto - May 20th, 2015
- Exterminator Indianapolis IN | Mice & Rodent Removal ... - May 19th, 2015
- Exterminator in Springfield, IL - Terminix - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Clearwater Fl Rat Exterminator - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Exterminator in Canyon Lake CA | Bee Removal Rat Problem Commercial Pest Control - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Park Slope Pest Control 718-517-9211 Exterminator Service Brooklyn, 24 Hour Bed Bug Specialists - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Ant-Juan Calls an Exterminator - Video - November 1st, 2012
- orange county rat control 714-653-1141, OC exterminators, OC pest control, tustin,santa ana, - Video - February 10th, 2012
- Final Fantasy Tactics Heaven Knights, Sand Rat Exterminators - Video - February 9th, 2012
- Rat Extermination - Video - February 2nd, 2012
- Die Antwoord Is Back, Freaky, in Need of an Exterminator - February 1st, 2012
- Lets Play Final Fantasy IX #031 - Rat Exterminators - Video - January 28th, 2012
- The Rat Exterminators IV-O project - Video - January 9th, 2012
- The Exterminator (The rat Dungeon) Part 3. - Video - December 6th, 2011
- Tampa Rat Exterminator - Video - November 29th, 2011
- Rats! NYC's top exterminators - September 9th, 2011
- Let's Play: Morrowind - Part 7 (Wes the Exterminator) - August 13th, 2011
- Kennywood Exterminator POV - July 12th, 2011
- Sun City CA | Exterminator Rat Problem Pest Control Companies Roach Infestation CA - July 7th, 2011
- I'm Not An Exterminator - June 28th, 2011
- MAD Exterminators - June 14th, 2011
- Exterminator Roach Infestation :: Norco CA :: Rat Problem :: Pest Control Companies - May 24th, 2011
- NJ Pest Control Exterminators ~ Bedbug Mice Rats Termites Bees Cockroaches Flies - May 21st, 2011
- HAROLD--The Rat Exterminator .4 - May 20th, 2011
- Jamie Kennedy Experiment - Rat Exterminator - May 12th, 2011
- Pest Control : Eliminate Rodent ( Mice Rats) with a Specialist North Jersey Exterminators - May 10th, 2011
- Angelus Rat Extermination - May 8th, 2011