Opening your home and your heart to a special petbe your buddy of the feline or canine persuasion, or an animal more exoticis to invite a lot of joy into your days. Naturally, theres a fair amount of work involved, too, and one of the most important jobs is monitoring your animal friends health. To that end, its essential to know which pests are most attracted to your pet, the steps you can take to prevent pests from becoming a major problem, and how to handle the occasional infestation.
You might suspect that your pet has had a run-in with an insect or rodent if you witness these symptoms:
Anytime you sense that something is off with your four-legged friend, listen to that intuition and contact your vet. Safe is always, infinitely better than sorry when it comes to your family members and their health.
Of all the pests that plague our pets, ticks are probably the best known. Chances are youre already accustomed to scanning your pets (and your own) skin after being outdoors, but you might not realize that ticks can live indoors, too! Take precautions to prevent a tick infestation, and know how to handle the insects if you find them on your pet. Tick bites can lead to serious diseases in both pets and humans including Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and ehrlichiosis. Cats are less prone to tick-borne ailments, but they can contract cytauxzoonosis, an infectious disease thats often fatal.
RELATED: 9 Signs You Have a Pest Problem in the Garden
Fleas are another familiar nuisance. As with ticks, fleas affect humans and their furry friends alike. One mating female flea can produce as many as 20 eggs per day; thats 20,000 adult fleas in just two months. That, along with the fact that they dont actually bite victims but instead suck their blood, makes them especially vexing for young cats. A bitten kitten can lose so much blood to a feeding flea that it can become anemic.
Another problem that fleas present is that they can transmit tapeworms. The most likely concern posed by these parasites is infection, which occurs when itchy cats use their sharp claws to scratch, breaking their skin in the process.
Luckily, theres a variety of effective flea treatments available to keep your home flea-free, including sprays and foggers,
Youd be forgiven for assuming that its the other way around, but mice do represent a real risk to cats (and, by extension, humans). Along with their larger cousins, rats, mice can carry parasites like toxoplasmosis and roundworm, bacteria like leptospirosis, and hantavirusa family of viruses that are largely propagated by rodents.
Another good reason to keep an eye on your mighty mouser? Fleas. All rodents are common vectors of bugs with annoying, itch-inducing bites.
While you might think Mittens is providing all the pest control your home needs, its best to bypass the feline middleman entirely and call in an exterminator to handle any matters relating to mice or rats. Its important to get professional help since rodenticide is toxic not just to its intended targets, but to other animals as well.
As excited as cats can get about hunting mice, cats arent adept at catching rats; in many cases, they wont even attempt the hunt. It isnt all that likely for your kitty to encounter Rattus rattus or Rattus norvegicus, but if they do cross paths, a rats bite is likely to be more perilous than that of a mouse.
Mosquitoes are yet another pesky pest that can bother everyone in the house, regardless of species. Their high-pitched whine is aggravating, their bites are intensely itchy, and they can transmit diseases such as heartworm, equine encephalitis, St. Louis encephalitis, and West Nile virus.
Hairless animals like Sphynx cats or Xoloitzcuintles (a Mexican hairless dog breed) are more vulnerable, but while an animals fur may deter mosquitos, it wont defend against them entirely.
Make sure youre not inadvertently inviting mosquitos to stay a while. If theyve already made themselves at home, try some natural solutions to repel them safely.
Whats black and hairy and looks like the result of a torrid affair between a housefly and a bumblebee? Thats not a joke, and its probably not an easy guess for most folks, either, but the answer is botfly.
This lesser-known pest prefers rodents and wild rabbits, but botflies (aka Cuterebra flies) can also infect our furry friends, especially when theyve been romping around outdoors in grassy areas. When botfly maggots work their way under a pets skin, a serious infection can result, leading to fever, trouble breathing, seizures, circling or dizziness, and even blindness. The botfly larvae must be removed surgically, so keep your pets away from rabbit warrens and rodent nests, and inspect their skin after every outdoor jaunt so you can nip this nasty situation in the bud.
Dogs affinity for smelly food (and non-food, like your old sneakers, litterbox leavings, or even their own poop) is well documented, so its not out of the question that they might snack on the occasional stink bug. No serious harm will come to a pet if they ingest one of these odiferous insects. However, upset stomachs, vomiting, and diarrhea may result. Pluswell, blechhh.
RELATED: These 13 Pests Do the Most Damage to the Home
Its pretty easy for pets to pick up one of the many varieties of tiny parasite known as mites. Here are some of the signs that you mite observe if your pet is having an issue with these irritating critters:
Although tiny mites are visible to the naked eye, so its not a bad idea to part your pets fur and check for any stowaways as a matter of course. Mites present only a mild problem compared to other pests, but they can make your pet miserable with itching and irritation.
Worms are a commonplace woe in domestic animals, but dont let their ordinary nature fool you into thinking theyre not a serious threat to your pet. These wiggly parasites can be fatal to pets in extreme cases. Even those that dont pose great harm can make your pet miserable, so dont skip out on preventative worm treatment.
One thing of note about worms is that they can harm your pets behind the scenes with no outward symptoms. Theres no telling if a healthy-looking canine or feline might be harboring them. Discuss the best ways to fend off roundworms and other culprits with your vet.
The good news? Bedbugs arent nearly as prevalent a pest as some of the others weve discussed, such as mites, fleas, and ticks. The bad news is that if bedbugs are in your home, youve got a heck of a hassle on your hands.
Bedbugs have all the attributes necessary to infect a space in short order: They can move fast, jump far, and hide in the smallest of crannies. Bedbugs also make themselves at home in plenty of places, and can travel the world by hitching a ride on a pet, purse, backpack, book, or tote.
You will likely need a professional exterminator to tackle a bedbug infestation, in addition to washing just about every fabric item in the house. Bedbugs will bite cats and dogs if theyve exhausted all options for a meal of human blood, with severe itching and dermatological issues as the result.
RELATED:10 Tiny Bugs in Your HouseAnd How to Get Rid of Them
Our last pest, lice, is a bit pickier about sustenance than bedbugs. There are several varieties of louse and theyre all specific to a particular host, or even a body part. So human lice cannot trade places with cat or dog lice, or vice versa.
Dog and cat lice can lead to itching, scratching, and skin irritation; dry or matted fur; loss of fur around the ears, neck, shoulders, and rectum; anemia; lethargy; and weight loss. Infection of broken skin is a common complication of a louse infestation in an animal.
- Rat home invasions in Montreal have increased since the pandemic, exterminators say - CTV News Montreal - May 7th, 2022
- License commissioners watching Little Caesars after allegations of rats, trash and 'oozing' bags - Worcester Telegram - May 7th, 2022
- The Squirrelly Story of the $500 Mothers Day Gift I Didnt Ask For - CBC.ca - May 7th, 2022
- N.Y.C. Rats: Theyre in the Park, on Your Block and Even at Your Table - The New York Times - November 6th, 2021
- Bronx tenants say rats have infested apartment building, climbing through walls - News 12 Bronx - November 6th, 2021
- Agricultural Pest Control Market Insights, Overview and Forecast with SWOT Analysis The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 19th, 2021
- Bed Bug Exterminator Cleveland Offers Cleveland Residents with Effective Bed Bug Treatments for Comfortable Night Sleep - Digital Journal - July 19th, 2021
- Beverly residents want city to help with rat problems - The Salem News - July 5th, 2021
- Rat Problem Spills Over Into City Council Meeting In Beverly | WBZ NewsRadio 1030 - KFI AM 640 - July 5th, 2021
- LankaWeb GMOA President Misleading the Public - Lankaweb - June 22nd, 2021
- If You See This in Your Attic, Call an Exterminator Now - Best Life - May 13th, 2021
- Reputable Rat Exterminator Posts New Blog On How to Get Rid of These Nuisance Pests - Press Release - Digital Journal - September 24th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator Jackson MS | Mice & Rat Pest Control ... - August 16th, 2020
- Dallas Rat Exterminators | Vinx Home Services Inc - August 16th, 2020
- 2020 Rat Extermination Cost | Rats in Attic Removal Cost - July 11th, 2020
- Why You Should Hand Over Your Home Pest Problem to Private Exterminators? - The Good Men Project - June 13th, 2020
- Rat Extermination Tips from RatControlTricks.com The ... - May 17th, 2020
- The Best Rat Exterminators Near Me (with Free Estimates) - October 10th, 2019
- Rat Facts: What They Eat, Size ... - Western Exterminator - October 4th, 2019
- Exterminator & Pest Control Company in Amherst | Amherst ... - March 28th, 2019
- How Much Do Rat Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - February 23rd, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Rats: Rat Control & Extermination ... - February 15th, 2019
- Exterminator Synonyms, Exterminator Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - February 3rd, 2019
- Rodent control - Western Exterminator - January 29th, 2019
- Rodent Control | A1 Exterminators Lynn MA | Ants, Termites ... - January 11th, 2019
- Rat Control - Western Exterminator - December 16th, 2018
- Commercial Buildings Exterminators - Homes Pest control ... - November 22nd, 2018
- Rat Exterminator - Rat Removal Service - Rat Pest Control - November 9th, 2018
- Rat Exterminators: How to Hire a Professional and NOT Get ... - September 5th, 2018
- Billy the Exterminator: Sugar Rat | A&E - YouTube - August 18th, 2018
- Pest Control Houma, LA Exterminator Terminix Pest ... - May 11th, 2018
- Insight Pest Control Ventura: Exterminator & Termite ... - April 20th, 2018
- We Kill Pest Control Hollywood is professional exterminator - April 1st, 2018
- DIY Rat Extermination RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - December 22nd, 2017
- Pest Control NJ, Pest Control NYC, Bed Bug Exterminator NYC E - November 9th, 2017
- Rats vs. Mice | Western Exterminator - September 6th, 2017
- Bircher Exterminating | Phoenix Exterminator | HOA ... - August 11th, 2017
- How To Get Rid of Rats in the Attic | Western Exterminator - June 18th, 2017
- Mighty Rats Mice Exterminator To Seattle Home and Commercial Businesses Buildings - Digital Journal - May 3rd, 2017
- Got Rodents? Mice, Rats Exterminator: Canberra Pest Control - April 30th, 2017
- Rat Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - February 19th, 2017
- Best Exterminating : Termite & Pest Control - Exterminator ... - February 11th, 2017
- Camelback Crickets - Ask The Exterminator - November 30th, 2016
- Pest Control Las Vegas, NV | Western Exterminator - November 16th, 2016
- Rat Exterminators | RATCONTROLTRICKS.COM - October 22nd, 2015
- Ask The Exterminator - September 25th, 2015
- Atlanta Rodent Control Rats, Mice, Bats Exterminator - July 2nd, 2015
- Rat Exterminator - Mouse, Mice, Rodent Extermination - June 1st, 2015
- What Does a Rat Exterminator Do? (with pictures) - June 1st, 2015
- Mice Removal Toronto | Mouse Exterminators Toronto - May 28th, 2015
- Rats - Ask The Exterminator - May 22nd, 2015
- Rat Exterminator New Jersey | New Jersey Rat Mouse Pest ... - May 22nd, 2015
- Norway Rat Extermination in Long Island, New York ... - May 20th, 2015
- Rat Control Toronto - Rats Exterminator Toronto - May 20th, 2015
- Exterminator Indianapolis IN | Mice & Rodent Removal ... - May 19th, 2015
- Exterminator in Springfield, IL - Terminix - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Clearwater Fl Rat Exterminator - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Exterminator in Canyon Lake CA | Bee Removal Rat Problem Commercial Pest Control - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Park Slope Pest Control 718-517-9211 Exterminator Service Brooklyn, 24 Hour Bed Bug Specialists - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Ant-Juan Calls an Exterminator - Video - November 1st, 2012
- orange county rat control 714-653-1141, OC exterminators, OC pest control, tustin,santa ana, - Video - February 10th, 2012
- Final Fantasy Tactics Heaven Knights, Sand Rat Exterminators - Video - February 9th, 2012
- Rat Extermination - Video - February 2nd, 2012
- Die Antwoord Is Back, Freaky, in Need of an Exterminator - February 1st, 2012
- Lets Play Final Fantasy IX #031 - Rat Exterminators - Video - January 28th, 2012
- The Rat Exterminators IV-O project - Video - January 9th, 2012
- The Exterminator (The rat Dungeon) Part 3. - Video - December 6th, 2011
- Tampa Rat Exterminator - Video - November 29th, 2011
- Rats! NYC's top exterminators - September 9th, 2011
- Let's Play: Morrowind - Part 7 (Wes the Exterminator) - August 13th, 2011
- Kennywood Exterminator POV - July 12th, 2011
- Sun City CA | Exterminator Rat Problem Pest Control Companies Roach Infestation CA - July 7th, 2011
- I'm Not An Exterminator - June 28th, 2011
- MAD Exterminators - June 14th, 2011
- Exterminator Roach Infestation :: Norco CA :: Rat Problem :: Pest Control Companies - May 24th, 2011
- NJ Pest Control Exterminators ~ Bedbug Mice Rats Termites Bees Cockroaches Flies - May 21st, 2011
- HAROLD--The Rat Exterminator .4 - May 20th, 2011
- Jamie Kennedy Experiment - Rat Exterminator - May 12th, 2011
- Pest Control : Eliminate Rodent ( Mice Rats) with a Specialist North Jersey Exterminators - May 10th, 2011
- Angelus Rat Extermination - May 8th, 2011