While keeping snakes away from your home completely might not be an option, there are some things you can do to make your place less inviting for them.
Mowing your lawn regularly will not only make your house look nice, but it will help control mice and other insects that are an appealing food source for snakes. Remove excess vegetation and weeds, any piles of debris in areas where snakes can hide. Keep your trees and shrubs trimmed and away from the home and garage. If you store firewood or similar materials, keep them elevated from the ground.
As lovely as it is to hear the sound of birds singing in the backyard, its recommended that you dont use bird feeders or bird baths to attract them, and that if you do feed wildlife with fruits and nuts, be sure to clean up any of the mess that falls onto your lawn. Snakes might not be interested in the salad platter, but they are interested in rodents and other animals that will likely be attracted to such things. If you cant bear to stop feeding the birds, be sure to store the feed in a metal container with a lid that fits tightly.
Keep your compost piles in a closed container. This will keep snakes and rodents away from your house.
Go around your house and inspect and seal any crevices at the foundations, which will help keep snakes from getting inside your house. Consider screens over vents and sealing openings around plumbing that enters or exits your home.
Consider your landscaping design. Large rock spaces in your landscaping can provide the perfect hiding space for snakes as well as their prey. Water features and fish ponds also attract snakes.
How do you limit the food source of a snake? Its simple.
If you have pets, bring them inside to be fed. Snakes arent at all interested in what your cat or dog is having for dinner, but they are interested in the rodents that your pets food will attract. Be sure to clean up any uneaten food straight away. Store your dry pet food in a metal container with a tight fitting lid. You may also wish to contact a local pest control company to treat your home so that any other tasty morsels (think insects, frogs, lizards etc.) for snakes are given their eviction notice to your house.
If you have a chicken coop or aviary, there are signs you can look for to determine if there is a snake. These include fewer or missing eggs, regurgitated egg shells, snake skins, a chicken or bird with a wet head (a sign that a snake tried to eat it, but perhaps gave up). Take a look around the enclosure for any access points where a snake might come in and block those access points to keep snakes out of the coop and nesting boxes. Other tips:
While it might be your first reaction to reach for a shovel, snakes represent an important part of our ecosystem. For that reason, there are some things that are not advised when it comes to deterring snakes from your home.
Mothballs shouldnt be used. They are made from chemicals that are toxic to insects and mammals, but arent effective against snakes.
Avoid using ceramic eggs or golf balls in your chicken coop. Snakes eat these artificial eggs and their death is slow and painful. Whats worse is that youll only increase your snake problem because new snakes will show up to take that snakes place. Consider improving the chicken coop area using the suggestions above instead.
Refrain from using guns, shovels or other weapons. This is just an increased risk to your own personal safety. Instead, try using a hose to spray water onto the snake, which will encourage it to find somewhere new to hang out.
Finally, the best advice Starts at 60 has been given when it comes to snakes is to just leave them alone. Chances are they will move on without causing you any trouble. Of course, if one does enter your home the recommended advice it to keep an eye on it and if you feel threatened by it, call an expert.
- Pandemic Adds Roach Infestations To Its List of Living Nightmares - Gothamist - February 19th, 2021
- Are we losing the rat race? How rodents took over our offices - The Guardian - February 7th, 2021
- Review Place building infested with rats, mice: tenants - The Riverdale Press - February 1st, 2021
- The Secret to Getting Rid of Snakes: You Cant - The Wall Street Journal - January 30th, 2021
- How to Get Rid of Mice in Your Homeand Keep Them Away for Good - Prevention.com - January 20th, 2021
- 'Feeding the mouse': Unexpected twist in tennis star's quarantine furore - Yahoo Sport Australia - January 20th, 2021
- Got Mice in Your Stove? Here's How to Get Rid of Them - Wide Open Eats - January 20th, 2021
- Mum pleads for help after catching 42 mice in her Cliftonville flat in less than a month - The Isle of Thanet News - January 13th, 2021
- Understanding the Health Implications of Not Having Rodent Control - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- Hundreds of rodent pest call-outs in Nottingham this year with warning of winter increase - Nottinghamshire Live - December 28th, 2020
- Mouse Control is on the Table Only if Seen Running on Capitol Hill - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- COMMENT: Cats to the rescue as rats get upper hand - Wales Farmer - December 28th, 2020
- Pests and Its Negative Effects on Health - Morningside Maryland - December 28th, 2020
- Pest Control Officials in the UK Warn Over Mice Droppings - Chiang Rai Times - December 27th, 2020
- The Advent of Fieldwork Pest Control Software - Programming Insider - December 22nd, 2020
- Sometimes You Figure Things Out | CAI - WCAI - December 12th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Cockroaches - Green Matters - November 20th, 2020
- AAAC Wildlife Removal: Eradicating Rodents and Other Pests from Properties for Over 15 Years - The News Front - November 18th, 2020
- Recognizing Rodent Infestations - FamilyEducation - October 17th, 2020
- Invasion alert: aggressive Oriential hornet's spread in Malta is growing - MaltaToday - October 14th, 2020
- This Is the Best Way to Get Rid of Mice, Experts Say - Best Life - October 1st, 2020
- Students Report Mice in McMahon Hall - The Observer - Fordham Observer - September 15th, 2020
- Her View: No easy way to exterminate the virus on the Palouse - Moscow-Pullman Daily News - September 7th, 2020
- How Do Exterminators Get Rid of Mice? | INSECT COP - July 1st, 2020
- 26 Things Home Buyers Will Hate About Your House - Yahoo Finance - April 29th, 2020
- From the Editor: It's the same Business Weekly with a different presentation [Column] - Reading Eagle - April 7th, 2020
- How to know when you have pests and what you should do - Southwest Journal - March 21st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice in the House Fast - Best Way to Get ... - March 13th, 2020
- Mice and Rat Extermination | Angie's List - March 4th, 2020
- Global Agricultural Pest Control Market 2020 | Increasing Demand, Technology Development, New Innovations, Future Projections and Forecast 2025 - News... - March 4th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice Now: The Ultimate Guide | Pestkilled - February 15th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator for the Business Owners and Why It's Necessary in 2020 - ChartAttack - February 6th, 2020
- Woman wants out of mice and rat-infested New Bedford public housing unit - SouthCoastToday.com - January 24th, 2020
- Call-outs to deal with rats and mice plummet after fees for council service triples - Wales Online - January 21st, 2020
- Fair Lawn Dollar Tree resumes selling food after fixing health violations - NorthJersey.com - January 17th, 2020
- Revealed: The parts of Bolton with the biggest rat infestation problems - Manchester Evening News - January 14th, 2020
- Pest control: UK 'fly-tipping epidemic linked to rats rise - The Bolton News - January 14th, 2020
- Separated by Design: How wealthy towns keep people with housing vouchers out - The CT Mirror - January 12th, 2020
- Ayrshire schools plagued by rats, fleas and flies with mice and wasps also a problem - The Scottish Sun - December 31st, 2019
- Last Post Southend bosses - 'No issue with rodents here ... it was a one off' - Southend Standard - December 30th, 2019
- Popular South Shields curry house ordered to clean up its act after inspectors discover RAT DROPPINGS and food stored in buckets of water - Shields... - December 30th, 2019
- Pest control called out hundreds of times to NHS Tayside buildings over two-year period - Evening Telegraph - December 29th, 2019
- Fleas rats and flies are amongst pests that have infested local schools - Cumnock Chronicle - December 23rd, 2019
- The rodent problem which forced a Sunderland school to close and call in Rentokil - Chronicle Live - December 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes - How to Get Rid of Copperhead and Garden Snakes - Country Living - December 18th, 2019
- HARVEY'S Pest Control Provides Top Tips to Prevent Bugs from Spoiling the Holiday Season - Benzinga - December 15th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - CT Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Basildon's The Moon on the Square Wetherspoons pub evacuated and shut after mouse spotted by customers - Essex Live - December 12th, 2019
- What Is The Importance Of Insects In The Ecosystem? - World Atlas - December 12th, 2019
- Moon on the Square, Basildon, closed after mouse is found - Echo - December 10th, 2019
- Shock as inspectors find traces of rats, mice and pigeons in food outlets - Leinster Leader - December 10th, 2019
- How about making sure that the lights are working? Evening News readers react to a crackdown at temporary traffic lights - Edinburgh News - December 10th, 2019
- Mum's five-year rodent nightmare - Kent Online - December 10th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - Middletown Press - December 8th, 2019
- Mice infestation forces young mum and toddler out of home in Foleshill - Coventry Telegraph - December 8th, 2019
- Sydney seniors fed up with apartment building told odour, rodent issues to be fixed - CBC.ca - December 8th, 2019
- "Bob's Burgers": We Rank Our Thanksgiving "Visits" with The Belchers - Bleeding Cool News - November 28th, 2019
- Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - PCT - PCT Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Rat infestations in Northern Ireland at worst levels for decade - Belfast Telegraph - November 26th, 2019
- 6 restaurants including 2 at golf clubs shut down with roaches and rodents - Stock Daily Dish - November 23rd, 2019
- The Worst Things Health Inspectors Have Seen in a Restaurant - MoneyWise.com - November 21st, 2019
- Baby raccoon euthanized after having rat trap stuck to its paw for a week - Victoria News - November 21st, 2019
- Tops Day Nursery closes over rat infestation - New Milton Advertiser and Lymington Times - November 21st, 2019
- Look Out for Pack Rats and Mice this Winter - Green Valley News - November 17th, 2019
- Mum disgusted to be told 'eat mice' after complaining to landlord about rodents - Mirror Online - November 17th, 2019
- Cockroaches on the rise in Calgary - CityNews Calgary - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of rats from your home - The Times - November 17th, 2019
- Rat catchers make 130 St Jamess Hospital visits in just three years - Extra.ie - November 17th, 2019
- School's mouse infestation forces closure of the kitchen for more than a week - Gazette Live - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of mice - Western Exterminator - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Mice Exterminators Near Me (with ... - Thumbtack - October 1st, 2019
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018