Im not a huge fan of summer. As soon as the last snowstorm hits in May, I start counting the days until the next snow will fly. Thats probably not something you hear a lot of people say here in northern Michigan, but I have my reasons.
First, Im not crazy about heat and humidity, both of which keep me off my beloved trails on the north end. Id even risk seeing the naked guy out there at this point, but its just been too hot and buggy lately. I just ordered a mesh netting thing to go over my head and keep the mosquitoes from chewing on me well see how that works. Im basically covered in bites from spring until the first frost, and the mosquitoes seem like theyre working overtime this summer.
Its especially discouraging that Tim and I can be in the same swarm of mosquitoes, and theyll all come after me, leaving him completely fine. If theres even one mosquito in the house, it will terrorize me.
Second, when we built our log home here on Bluff Road 25 years ago, we had no idea that every insect and creature known to man would think it was THEIR log home. So, as soon as that last snowflake leaves the sky in the spring, all of them start invading our house ants, bees, wasps, spiders, moths, birds and sometimes even mice.
Although in recent years, the mice tend to set up their communes in our cars, prompting Tim to run traplines in every vehicle we own. Its all fun and games until you realize in the Meijer parking lot that youve been hauling around an uninvited guest. I apologize to whomever had to empty the trash bin. When I got home, Tim wondered why I hadnt saved the trap. No. Just no.
(I had a picture of the expired mouse here, but Tim made me take it out. Click here if youd like to see it.)
This summer, the bees and ants have been exceptionally busy making cozy homes in our log walls. Tim spent several days spraying the holes with bug killer and filling them with foam, only to have the creatures make new homes in the foam. A week on, it seems like they might be taking the hint. Im sure our walls are now harboring a large graveyard of ants and bees in there.
Honestly, I would rather have this guy, who was also recently evicted
This week, we decided to finally tear out the shower in our bathroom on the first floor. It was ancient and gross and had some water damage. I knew there were carpenter ants in the walls behind it, because Ive been spraying them since spring. I just didnt realize how many were there until the shower came out.
Again, we sprayed bug killer in there and flushed a bunch of ants out of the walls. Weve really enjoyed watching them crawl out and collapse on the floor, staggering around in circles until they die a miserable death. Awww are you having a bad day? I like to say. Its about to get worse.
This is what it looked like AFTER hed taken out a dustpan full of ants. Thankfully, I was in town when that happened. Knowing how much I LOVE bugs, he stopped me at the door to warn me of the gruesome crime scene. Some fell to their death through the drain hole into the basement.
Ive also been spraying around the outside of the house all summer, but it might be time to call in the experts (an exterminator). Especially since I just murdered a big spider in the living room. I could have sworn he chirped at me before I sent him to Boot Hill. Do spiders chirp?
And yes, I realize that all of you spiders out there have many redeeming qualities, but take note, if you are in my house, you are going to die. I am not taking you outside.
Is it winter yet?
Old Mission Gazette is a reader-supported newspaper, and we need your ongoing support to keep delivering OMP news, history, photos, events and more. Owners Tim and Jane Boursaw are devoted to the Old Mission Peninsula community, and every contribution, big or small, is valuable. Click HERE to support Old Mission Gazette. Thank you!
- How Do Exterminators Get Rid of Mice? | INSECT COP - July 1st, 2020
- Mice and Rat Extermination | Angie's List - March 4th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator for the Business Owners and Why It's Necessary in 2020 - ChartAttack - February 6th, 2020
- How to get rid of mice - Western Exterminator - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Mice Exterminators Near Me (with ... - Thumbtack - October 1st, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018
- Rodent Control, Mice Exterminator | Connors Pest Control - March 7th, 2018
- Everett, WA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 26th, 2018
- Knight Pest Control - Exterminator Bedbug Flea Cockroach ... - January 7th, 2018
- Elite Pest Control | Exterminator Minneapolis MN - December 8th, 2017
- Reliance Pest - Pest, Termite & Bedbug Exterminator ... - November 8th, 2017
- Mice & Rat Exterminator - F&W Pest Control - Massachusetts - October 20th, 2017
- Mouse Control Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - October 18th, 2017
- Exterminator working to eliminate Wilmington mice during summer - New Castle News - June 22nd, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Press ... - Digital Journal - February 9th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Military Technologies - February 9th, 2017
- Silver Spring Mice Exterminator - Mouse Rat Rodent ... - November 24th, 2016
- How Long Do Mice Live ? - Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2016
- Easy Guide to Hire a Mouse Exterminator that gets Results - October 12th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator Episode Guide - Season 1 - A&E - aetv - October 12th, 2015
- Mice Exterminators - How to Get Rid of Mice - June 2nd, 2015
- Mice Exterminator New York~How to get rid of mice~Mice Control - June 1st, 2015
- Rat Exterminator Services in CA |Kilter Termite and Pest ... - June 1st, 2015
- Mice Control - Pest Exterminator - May 31st, 2015
- Exterminator NYC | Pest Control Services in New York City - May 26th, 2015
- What Does a Mouse Exterminator Do? (with pictures) - May 22nd, 2015
- Mice Control - Trapping, Removal, Extermination, & Mouse ... - May 19th, 2015
- Exterminator in Pine City, MN - East Central Exterminating - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Exterminator in Woburn, MA - Security Pest Elimination - Video - November 1st, 2012
- Exterminator to eliminate mice problem - July 11th, 2012
- Damian the exterminator. - Video - January 28th, 2012
- Mouse Extermination by EnviroTech Pest Control - October 10th, 2011
- Exterminator catches mouse under house without killing it - May 20th, 2011
- Mouse Rodent Exterminator Pest Control Little Falls NJ - May 20th, 2011
- Get Rid of Mice: Rodent Extermination Services - May 9th, 2011
- Pest Control Mice: Exterminators NJ - May 8th, 2011
- Rodent Control: NJ Mice Rat Extermination - May 8th, 2011