If mice are a persistent problem in your home, you're far from alone. According to PestWorld, approximately 21 million homes in the U.S. find themselves with mice or another unwanted rodent visitor inside their house each year.
While you can spend an arm and a leg to hire an exterminator to get rid of a mouse infestation after those pests have taken hold in your home, preventing them from getting inside in the first place is a far easierand less expensiveproposition. However, experts say when it comes to keeping critters out, your pest prevention plan should start outside your home.
"Cut back low lying vegetation near foundation," suggests Craig Sansig, service director with Viking Pest. He recommends eliminating anything that could provide cover for mice near your foundation, including vegetation, and broken pieces of siding, as well.
Sansig explains that pachysandras and ivy provide particularly attractive hiding spaces for mice because of their dense coverage, but he says that even leaf, brush, or compost piles can become a haven for those frustrating pests, too. Once you eliminate these sources of coverage near your home's foundation, mice are unlikely to take up residence in your home. "Mice feel uncomfortable without overhead cover," Sansig explains.
However, that's not the only way to keep mice from crawling into your home. With the help of experts, we've compiled the best ways to keep a pest problem from starting in the first place. And if you want to keep your home safer, This Is the Biggest Danger in Your Garage.
Read the original article on Best Life.
If you want to make your home look less attractive to mice, "keep all garbage cans sealed tightly and away from walls of home," says Sansig. And if you're worried about an infestation, be aware that This Pest Can Do Serious Damage to Your Home in a Week.
It's not just obvious holes in your siding or open doors that can provide entry points for mice.
"Check door sweeps, weep holes in brick walls and pipe chases, and AC line entry points, as these are all ways mice can get inside the home or business," says Sansig. He notes that stuffing steel wool into these areas can keep mice from getting in. And for more great tips delivered to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
That bowl of fruit on your counter or open box of cereal in your pantry is a veritable buffet for pests.
Board-certified entomologist Nancy Troyano, PhD, director of operations and training for Western Exterminator, says that cleaning up potential food sources is a great way to keep mice from settling in your home. "This includes any of your food sitting on countertops, as well as animal food," says Troyano, who recommends keeping all food off the floor in sealed containers. And if you're worried about your safety at home, make sure you know The Most Dangerous Household Pest, Experts Say.
Mice love cluttered areas in which they can go undetected, so if you suspect an infestation, it's time to start cleaning.
"Boxes, linen, and stashed holiday decorations are all recognized as safe harbor for mice," says Troyano.
If you've got leaks in your home, they could be the reason for your pest problems. "Any source of moisture can attract rodents," says Troyano.
When all else fails, hiring a pest professional can get that infestation under control faster than you can say, "Where are the bait traps?" In addition to getting rid of any existing pests in your home, Troyano says that an exterminator can help address any entry points to prevent future infestations, as well. And if you're worried about unwanted visitors, know that This Deadly Pest Could Be Hiding in Your Bedroom, Experts Say.
This Is the Best Way to Get Rid of Mice, Experts Say - Best Life
- Pandemic Adds Roach Infestations To Its List of Living Nightmares - Gothamist - February 19th, 2021
- Are we losing the rat race? How rodents took over our offices - The Guardian - February 7th, 2021
- Review Place building infested with rats, mice: tenants - The Riverdale Press - February 1st, 2021
- The Secret to Getting Rid of Snakes: You Cant - The Wall Street Journal - January 30th, 2021
- How to Get Rid of Mice in Your Homeand Keep Them Away for Good - Prevention.com - January 20th, 2021
- 'Feeding the mouse': Unexpected twist in tennis star's quarantine furore - Yahoo Sport Australia - January 20th, 2021
- Got Mice in Your Stove? Here's How to Get Rid of Them - Wide Open Eats - January 20th, 2021
- Mum pleads for help after catching 42 mice in her Cliftonville flat in less than a month - The Isle of Thanet News - January 13th, 2021
- Understanding the Health Implications of Not Having Rodent Control - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- Hundreds of rodent pest call-outs in Nottingham this year with warning of winter increase - Nottinghamshire Live - December 28th, 2020
- Mouse Control is on the Table Only if Seen Running on Capitol Hill - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- COMMENT: Cats to the rescue as rats get upper hand - Wales Farmer - December 28th, 2020
- Pests and Its Negative Effects on Health - Morningside Maryland - December 28th, 2020
- Pest Control Officials in the UK Warn Over Mice Droppings - Chiang Rai Times - December 27th, 2020
- The Advent of Fieldwork Pest Control Software - Programming Insider - December 22nd, 2020
- Sometimes You Figure Things Out | CAI - WCAI - December 12th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Cockroaches - Green Matters - November 20th, 2020
- AAAC Wildlife Removal: Eradicating Rodents and Other Pests from Properties for Over 15 Years - The News Front - November 18th, 2020
- Recognizing Rodent Infestations - FamilyEducation - October 17th, 2020
- Invasion alert: aggressive Oriential hornet's spread in Malta is growing - MaltaToday - October 14th, 2020
- Students Report Mice in McMahon Hall - The Observer - Fordham Observer - September 15th, 2020
- Her View: No easy way to exterminate the virus on the Palouse - Moscow-Pullman Daily News - September 7th, 2020
- How Do Exterminators Get Rid of Mice? | INSECT COP - July 1st, 2020
- 26 Things Home Buyers Will Hate About Your House - Yahoo Finance - April 29th, 2020
- From the Editor: It's the same Business Weekly with a different presentation [Column] - Reading Eagle - April 7th, 2020
- How to know when you have pests and what you should do - Southwest Journal - March 21st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice in the House Fast - Best Way to Get ... - March 13th, 2020
- Mice and Rat Extermination | Angie's List - March 4th, 2020
- Global Agricultural Pest Control Market 2020 | Increasing Demand, Technology Development, New Innovations, Future Projections and Forecast 2025 - News... - March 4th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice Now: The Ultimate Guide | Pestkilled - February 15th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator for the Business Owners and Why It's Necessary in 2020 - ChartAttack - February 6th, 2020
- Woman wants out of mice and rat-infested New Bedford public housing unit - SouthCoastToday.com - January 24th, 2020
- Call-outs to deal with rats and mice plummet after fees for council service triples - Wales Online - January 21st, 2020
- Fair Lawn Dollar Tree resumes selling food after fixing health violations - NorthJersey.com - January 17th, 2020
- Revealed: The parts of Bolton with the biggest rat infestation problems - Manchester Evening News - January 14th, 2020
- Pest control: UK 'fly-tipping epidemic linked to rats rise - The Bolton News - January 14th, 2020
- Separated by Design: How wealthy towns keep people with housing vouchers out - The CT Mirror - January 12th, 2020
- Ayrshire schools plagued by rats, fleas and flies with mice and wasps also a problem - The Scottish Sun - December 31st, 2019
- Last Post Southend bosses - 'No issue with rodents here ... it was a one off' - Southend Standard - December 30th, 2019
- Popular South Shields curry house ordered to clean up its act after inspectors discover RAT DROPPINGS and food stored in buckets of water - Shields... - December 30th, 2019
- Pest control called out hundreds of times to NHS Tayside buildings over two-year period - Evening Telegraph - December 29th, 2019
- Fleas rats and flies are amongst pests that have infested local schools - Cumnock Chronicle - December 23rd, 2019
- The rodent problem which forced a Sunderland school to close and call in Rentokil - Chronicle Live - December 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes - How to Get Rid of Copperhead and Garden Snakes - Country Living - December 18th, 2019
- What works (and what doesn't) when it comes to keeping snakes away at home - Starts at 60 - December 15th, 2019
- HARVEY'S Pest Control Provides Top Tips to Prevent Bugs from Spoiling the Holiday Season - Benzinga - December 15th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - CT Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Basildon's The Moon on the Square Wetherspoons pub evacuated and shut after mouse spotted by customers - Essex Live - December 12th, 2019
- What Is The Importance Of Insects In The Ecosystem? - World Atlas - December 12th, 2019
- Moon on the Square, Basildon, closed after mouse is found - Echo - December 10th, 2019
- Shock as inspectors find traces of rats, mice and pigeons in food outlets - Leinster Leader - December 10th, 2019
- How about making sure that the lights are working? Evening News readers react to a crackdown at temporary traffic lights - Edinburgh News - December 10th, 2019
- Mum's five-year rodent nightmare - Kent Online - December 10th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - Middletown Press - December 8th, 2019
- Mice infestation forces young mum and toddler out of home in Foleshill - Coventry Telegraph - December 8th, 2019
- Sydney seniors fed up with apartment building told odour, rodent issues to be fixed - CBC.ca - December 8th, 2019
- "Bob's Burgers": We Rank Our Thanksgiving "Visits" with The Belchers - Bleeding Cool News - November 28th, 2019
- Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - PCT - PCT Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Rat infestations in Northern Ireland at worst levels for decade - Belfast Telegraph - November 26th, 2019
- 6 restaurants including 2 at golf clubs shut down with roaches and rodents - Stock Daily Dish - November 23rd, 2019
- The Worst Things Health Inspectors Have Seen in a Restaurant - MoneyWise.com - November 21st, 2019
- Baby raccoon euthanized after having rat trap stuck to its paw for a week - Victoria News - November 21st, 2019
- Tops Day Nursery closes over rat infestation - New Milton Advertiser and Lymington Times - November 21st, 2019
- Look Out for Pack Rats and Mice this Winter - Green Valley News - November 17th, 2019
- Mum disgusted to be told 'eat mice' after complaining to landlord about rodents - Mirror Online - November 17th, 2019
- Cockroaches on the rise in Calgary - CityNews Calgary - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of rats from your home - The Times - November 17th, 2019
- Rat catchers make 130 St Jamess Hospital visits in just three years - Extra.ie - November 17th, 2019
- School's mouse infestation forces closure of the kitchen for more than a week - Gazette Live - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of mice - Western Exterminator - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Mice Exterminators Near Me (with ... - Thumbtack - October 1st, 2019
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018