The parts of Bolton with the biggest pest control problems have been revealed.
Postcodes in Bolton town centre, Farnworth and Great Lever all feature in the top ten areas visited by pest control in 2019.
Crompton Way, Hall Lane and Alberta Street had more than 100 rat-related visits between them while Crescent Road was the most visited for mice.
There were 30 rat-related emergency visits, three of which were in Anglia Grove at the start of the year.
Rats were by far the most common pest the local authority dealt with at 8,948 visits almost ten times more than mice at second place.
But for those people who cannot wait for Bolton Council to visit their property and are willing to pay more to exterminate pests, private companies available with some offering a same day service.
Ian Smith from Horwich, who has run his own pest control business for around 20 years, said rats seem to be getting inside buildings and homes more easily these days.
He claims eight out of ten cases of rats found in properties are caused by sewer faults.
This is when there are cracks and breakages in the pipes which connect to the sewer system.
He said: Rats get into the fabric of the building. Its something a lot of pest control companies dont want to admit because it can be hard work to find the fault.
It can be expensive, it can be frustrating. But at the moment thats the key to the problem in Bolton and everywhere else.
Mr Smith, whose father also worked in pest control, said that flooded sewers have also contributed to an increase in rats-related call outs this winter.
Rats and mice tend to keep pest control services busiest in the autumn and throughout the winter.
Andrew Glover, director of Premier Environmental pest control, explained why.
He said: You get problems with rats and mice throughout the year but it usually spikes in the winter because its cold so they look for a warm place where theres more food readily available that outside.
Mr Glover said that having a rat infestations can often be a case of bad luck but sometimes the problem is linked to poor hygiene, building maintenance or pipes not being sealed properly.
He said that wasp nests start becoming an issue in the summer as well as ants.
There were hundreds of visits by the councils pest control team related to wasps, bedbugs and ants last year as well as a small number of cases of silverfish, moles and beetles.
Treatment for rats usually consists of two or three visits but an infestation of bed bugs in Russell Street this year required 15 visits for one course.
Properties on Jessie Street, Philips Avenue and Adrian Road were visited 21 times each for bed bugs while Pixmore Avenue and Kent Court were the most visited cockroaches.
However, Mr Glover said that he has noticed a decrease in the number of calls he receives related to cockroaches in the 15 years he has operated in Bolton.
The postcodes which the council visited the most over the last year were revealed following a Freedom of Information request.
The Middlebrook area topped the list but many visits were routine, relating to a commercial contract with Bolton Wanderers.
The council also has a contract with Bolton at Home relating to Paderborn Court accounting for multiple visits as a preventative measure.
A council spokesman said: The councils pest control team undertake visits to domestic and commercial properties across the borough.
We understand that people may look at the figures and think theres a bigger pest problem in certain areas but this is not necessarily the case.
Quite often a number of visits will form one course of treatment. Many of the locations with higher number of visits are also due to us having commercial contracts in place, which means we will routinely visit on multiple occasions.
This is the case for Bolton Wanderers hence the high number of visits to the Middlebrook area.
We also routinely undertake a number of scheduled checks in some areas this means that while these postcodes may show multiple visits, this is for prevention work rather than to tackle an infestation.
To report a problem in your home call 01204 336553 or 336047 for businesses.
We now have a dedicated Facebook page bringing you all the latest news, events and community news in Bolton.
To keep up to date with all that is happening in Bolton - and to join in the discussion - follow the page here.
Reporter Tom George covers all things Bolton for the Manchester Evening News, you can follow him on Twitter here.
The postcodes which the councils pest control team visited the most over the last year were revealed following a Freedom of Information request.
The data provided shows how many times the local authority visited a property, but some were routine visits.
This includes a commercial contract with Bolton Wanders which explains why the Middlebrook area features so high on the list.
The figures only show visits made by the councils pest control team and does not take into account activity by private providers.
Middlebrook Retail Park, for example, uses a private pest control service.
BL6 6SF (Middlebrook area) 100 visits
BL1 4TX (Paderborn Court) 50 visits
BL1 4BE (Russell Street) 50 visits
BL4 7QS (Hall Lane) 44 visits
BL3 2JS (Crescent Road) 43 visits
BL1 8TL (Crompton Way) 43 visits
BL4 9BJ (Philips Avenue) 42 visits
BL3 5DX (Wellington Street) 40 visits
BL3 5PE (Jessie Street) 38 visits
BL4 7QQ (Glenbrook Gardens) 37 visits
BL6 6SF (Middlebrook area) 74 visits
BL1 8TL (Crompton Way) 38 visits
BL4 7QS (Hall Lane) 35 visits
BL3 5JD (Alberta Street) 32 visits
BL3 4BD (Daisy Street/Broomfield Road) 31 visits
BL3 3AR (Hamel Street) 28 visits
BL3 5DX (Wellington Street) 25 visits
BL3 4AW (Church Avenue) 25 visits
BL1 4LJ (Gilnow Road) 25 visits
BL1 3QE (Wolfenden Street) 25 visits
BL6 6LG (Brazley Avenue) 5 visits
BL3 4QE (Armadale Road) 5 visits
BL2 5HA (Winster Drive) 5 visits
BL1 5RZ (Great Marld Close 5 visits
BL1 6QY (Dunoon Drive) 5 visits
BL2 2RD (Rossall Close) 5 visits
BL1 3XG (Constable Close) 4 visits
BL2 5AA (Winchester Way) 4 visits
BL5 3HS (Beehive Green) 4 visits
BL1 8SD (Parkgate Drive 4 visits
- 26 Things Home Buyers Will Hate About Your House - Yahoo Finance - April 29th, 2020
- From the Editor: It's the same Business Weekly with a different presentation [Column] - Reading Eagle - April 7th, 2020
- How to know when you have pests and what you should do - Southwest Journal - March 21st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice in the House Fast - Best Way to Get ... - March 13th, 2020
- Mice and Rat Extermination | Angie's List - March 4th, 2020
- Global Agricultural Pest Control Market 2020 | Increasing Demand, Technology Development, New Innovations, Future Projections and Forecast 2025 - News... - March 4th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice Now: The Ultimate Guide | Pestkilled - February 15th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator for the Business Owners and Why It's Necessary in 2020 - ChartAttack - February 6th, 2020
- Woman wants out of mice and rat-infested New Bedford public housing unit - SouthCoastToday.com - January 24th, 2020
- Call-outs to deal with rats and mice plummet after fees for council service triples - Wales Online - January 21st, 2020
- Fair Lawn Dollar Tree resumes selling food after fixing health violations - NorthJersey.com - January 17th, 2020
- Pest control: UK 'fly-tipping epidemic linked to rats rise - The Bolton News - January 14th, 2020
- Separated by Design: How wealthy towns keep people with housing vouchers out - The CT Mirror - January 12th, 2020
- Ayrshire schools plagued by rats, fleas and flies with mice and wasps also a problem - The Scottish Sun - December 31st, 2019
- Last Post Southend bosses - 'No issue with rodents here ... it was a one off' - Southend Standard - December 30th, 2019
- Popular South Shields curry house ordered to clean up its act after inspectors discover RAT DROPPINGS and food stored in buckets of water - Shields... - December 30th, 2019
- Pest control called out hundreds of times to NHS Tayside buildings over two-year period - Evening Telegraph - December 29th, 2019
- Fleas rats and flies are amongst pests that have infested local schools - Cumnock Chronicle - December 23rd, 2019
- The rodent problem which forced a Sunderland school to close and call in Rentokil - Chronicle Live - December 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes - How to Get Rid of Copperhead and Garden Snakes - Country Living - December 18th, 2019
- What works (and what doesn't) when it comes to keeping snakes away at home - Starts at 60 - December 15th, 2019
- HARVEY'S Pest Control Provides Top Tips to Prevent Bugs from Spoiling the Holiday Season - Benzinga - December 15th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - CT Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Basildon's The Moon on the Square Wetherspoons pub evacuated and shut after mouse spotted by customers - Essex Live - December 12th, 2019
- What Is The Importance Of Insects In The Ecosystem? - World Atlas - December 12th, 2019
- Moon on the Square, Basildon, closed after mouse is found - Echo - December 10th, 2019
- Shock as inspectors find traces of rats, mice and pigeons in food outlets - Leinster Leader - December 10th, 2019
- How about making sure that the lights are working? Evening News readers react to a crackdown at temporary traffic lights - Edinburgh News - December 10th, 2019
- Mum's five-year rodent nightmare - Kent Online - December 10th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - Middletown Press - December 8th, 2019
- Mice infestation forces young mum and toddler out of home in Foleshill - Coventry Telegraph - December 8th, 2019
- Sydney seniors fed up with apartment building told odour, rodent issues to be fixed - CBC.ca - December 8th, 2019
- "Bob's Burgers": We Rank Our Thanksgiving "Visits" with The Belchers - Bleeding Cool News - November 28th, 2019
- Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - PCT - PCT Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Rat infestations in Northern Ireland at worst levels for decade - Belfast Telegraph - November 26th, 2019
- 6 restaurants including 2 at golf clubs shut down with roaches and rodents - Stock Daily Dish - November 23rd, 2019
- The Worst Things Health Inspectors Have Seen in a Restaurant - MoneyWise.com - November 21st, 2019
- Baby raccoon euthanized after having rat trap stuck to its paw for a week - Victoria News - November 21st, 2019
- Tops Day Nursery closes over rat infestation - New Milton Advertiser and Lymington Times - November 21st, 2019
- Look Out for Pack Rats and Mice this Winter - Green Valley News - November 17th, 2019
- Mum disgusted to be told 'eat mice' after complaining to landlord about rodents - Mirror Online - November 17th, 2019
- Cockroaches on the rise in Calgary - CityNews Calgary - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of rats from your home - The Times - November 17th, 2019
- Rat catchers make 130 St Jamess Hospital visits in just three years - Extra.ie - November 17th, 2019
- School's mouse infestation forces closure of the kitchen for more than a week - Gazette Live - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of mice - Western Exterminator - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Mice Exterminators Near Me (with ... - Thumbtack - October 1st, 2019
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018
- Rodent Control, Mice Exterminator | Connors Pest Control - March 7th, 2018
- Everett, WA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 26th, 2018
- Knight Pest Control - Exterminator Bedbug Flea Cockroach ... - January 7th, 2018
- Elite Pest Control | Exterminator Minneapolis MN - December 8th, 2017
- Reliance Pest - Pest, Termite & Bedbug Exterminator ... - November 8th, 2017
- Mice & Rat Exterminator - F&W Pest Control - Massachusetts - October 20th, 2017
- Mouse Control Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - October 18th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days Across San Diego - NBC Southern California - August 4th, 2017
- 22-year-old Contracted The Often Fatal Hantavirus At State Park - Simplemost - August 1st, 2017
- NEW: Rats and restaurants are an icky and dangerous combination - MyPalmBeachPost - July 7th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - GoErie.com - June 25th, 2017
- Ask Angie's List: Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - Fredericksburg.com - June 24th, 2017
- Better Business Bureau: Start With Trust - Better Business Bureau - June 22nd, 2017
- Exterminator working to eliminate Wilmington mice during summer - New Castle News - June 22nd, 2017
- Oak Lawn Goes On Rat Patrol - Patch.com - June 21st, 2017
- At Home: Use essential oils to get rid of home pests - Topeka Capital Journal - June 17th, 2017
- After the flooding, Pierrefonds residents coping with unwanted rodent house guests - CBC.ca - June 14th, 2017
- Need to get rid of tobacco beetles? Here's how - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 13th, 2017
- Essential Oils Can Repel Mice, Spiders - Valley News - June 11th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? | Life ... - South Bend Tribune - June 10th, 2017
- 'Dance Moms' former coach Abby Lee Miller faces more trouble - Blasting News - June 3rd, 2017
- Rodents take over Isa - The North West Star - May 25th, 2017
- Code enforcement complaints fines for Commercial Building Rat ... - Digital Journal - May 23rd, 2017
- Essay: A sticky situation - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 17th, 2017