Since January, state inspectors have cited 51 Palm Beach County restaurants for evidence of rodents. Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation inspectors found just a few tell-tale droppings at some establishments, and dozens and hundreds at others. They even spotted a few dead rats.
Such evidence is a high-priority violation that requires the restaurant to close until the issue is addressed. In 2016 inspectors cited 87 Palm Beach County restaurants for rodent-related violations.
Sure, theres a definite ick factor to finding out that a restaurant you like has the problem, and its so bad that the place was temporarily closed because of it, but should you be worried?
Check inspection reports for your favorite Palm Beach County restaurants
Worldwide, rats and mice spread over 35 diseases, according to the Centers for Disease Control. These diseases can be spread to humans directly, through handling of rodents, through contact with rodent feces, urine, or saliva, or through rodent bites. Diseases carried by rodents can also be spread to humans indirectly, through ticks, mites or fleas that have fed on an infected rodent.
The CDC lists seven diseases that rats and mice in North America transmit directly such as Plague and Rat-bite fever and 11 they transmit indirectly. That list includes Lyme Disease, Relapsing Fever, West Nile Virus and others, some of which can be fatal.
Rodents spread diseases through droppings and urine. In addition, they have fleas on their skin. They have thousands of bacteria. They urinate as they walk. The droppings spread disease and contamination. It makes people sick, said Ken Kuscher, a Boynton Beach-based state-certified food safety instructor with 35 years experience.
Why you should be concerned about roaches in restaurants
Even a rat rubbing against equipment or scurrying across a counter can cause contamination. Its just unsanitary.
Kuscher, who also owns four Miami restaurants with his son, said theres no excuse for restaurants to have rodents, and they shouldnt be blaming the landlord.
If you have a rodent problem, youd better fix it fast and fix it right. And if you dont, you should not be exposing the public to this, Kuscher said.
Restaurant owners shouldnt do their own pest control, Kuscher said, but should hire a professional exterminator on a regular basis. Exterminators have access to the needed chemicals and can do a better job.
Breakfast cafe west of Lake Worth cited for roaches, rodents
If restaurant owners think the cost of hiring an exterminator is too high, they need to consider what the cost will be in lost business if they do not get on top of the problem and are cited for a rodent-related violation.
Tim Husen, technical services manager for Atlanta-based Orkin, said prevention is key to keeping rodents out.
Rats can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter. And mice can fit through a hole the size of a dime. So its important to stay vigilant for signs of rodents and to seal up places they can squeeze through. Just like humans, they are looking for food, water and shelter, Husen said.
Restaurants should take measures such as replacing door sweeps, making sure vents and other openings are screened, and that fixing holes.
Four restaurants get perfect scores in Pa lm Beach County
The health risks are significant, Husen said, as food and surfaces could become contaminated by rodents.
The West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce area ranks 36th on Orkins rattiest cities list. The cities are ranked by the number of rodent treatments the company performed form Oct. 1, 2015 through Sept. 30, 2016 at both residential and commercial properties.
The top three rattiest cities are Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C., and Miami-Fort Lauderdale ranked 13th, Orkin said.
Kathleen Keenan, spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, said the Florida Administrative Code requires food and lodging establishments to rodent-proof their buildings which must be free of rodents. They must establish effective control measures to keep out rodents, flies, roaches and other vermin.
If a consumer believes a restaurant establishment is out of compliance or does not meet general safety and sanitation standards, they are encouraged to file a complaint with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation at http://www.myfloridalicense.com.
Anyone can look up recent inspections of any public food service establishment in the state of Florida from brick-and- mortar restaurants to food trucks online or by downloading DBPRs free mobile app from the iTunes or Google Play app stores. Check it out before deciding where to dine.
Keep your space rat-free
Orkin pest controls Tim Husen has five tips for keeping your home or business rodent-free:
1. Look for traces of rodents both inside and outside your home or business. Rodents leave signs like droppings, burrows and rub marks around structures. The more quickly rodents are detected, the better for treatment and prevention.
2. Inspect the outside of the home or business for entry points. Seal cracks and holes if any are found. Install weather stripping around entryways, especially under doors and around windows, to help block rodents from sneaking inside.
3. For businesses, pay close attention to doors that stay open for deliveries. Try to have processes in place so that doors stay closed most of the time.
4. Mice and rats are not just looking for water but also for snacks. Store food properly by keeping it tightly sealed in plastic bins or metal canisters. Try to keep food off the floors and stored away from walls to make it harder for mice and rats to find or break into.
5. Commercial and residential properties can benefit from cutting back trees and bushes to create a 3-foot space between the structure and landscaping. Without a jumping off point, its harder for rodents to leap across to gutters, roofs or openings under eaves.
- Mum pleads for help after catching 42 mice in her Cliftonville flat in less than a month - The Isle of Thanet News - January 13th, 2021
- Understanding the Health Implications of Not Having Rodent Control - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- Hundreds of rodent pest call-outs in Nottingham this year with warning of winter increase - Nottinghamshire Live - December 28th, 2020
- Mouse Control is on the Table Only if Seen Running on Capitol Hill - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- COMMENT: Cats to the rescue as rats get upper hand - Wales Farmer - December 28th, 2020
- Pests and Its Negative Effects on Health - Morningside Maryland - December 28th, 2020
- Pest Control Officials in the UK Warn Over Mice Droppings - Chiang Rai Times - December 27th, 2020
- The Advent of Fieldwork Pest Control Software - Programming Insider - December 22nd, 2020
- Sometimes You Figure Things Out | CAI - WCAI - December 12th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Cockroaches - Green Matters - November 20th, 2020
- AAAC Wildlife Removal: Eradicating Rodents and Other Pests from Properties for Over 15 Years - The News Front - November 18th, 2020
- Recognizing Rodent Infestations - FamilyEducation - October 17th, 2020
- Invasion alert: aggressive Oriential hornet's spread in Malta is growing - MaltaToday - October 14th, 2020
- This Is the Best Way to Get Rid of Mice, Experts Say - Best Life - October 1st, 2020
- Students Report Mice in McMahon Hall - The Observer - Fordham Observer - September 15th, 2020
- Her View: No easy way to exterminate the virus on the Palouse - Moscow-Pullman Daily News - September 7th, 2020
- How Do Exterminators Get Rid of Mice? | INSECT COP - July 1st, 2020
- 26 Things Home Buyers Will Hate About Your House - Yahoo Finance - April 29th, 2020
- From the Editor: It's the same Business Weekly with a different presentation [Column] - Reading Eagle - April 7th, 2020
- How to know when you have pests and what you should do - Southwest Journal - March 21st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice in the House Fast - Best Way to Get ... - March 13th, 2020
- Mice and Rat Extermination | Angie's List - March 4th, 2020
- Global Agricultural Pest Control Market 2020 | Increasing Demand, Technology Development, New Innovations, Future Projections and Forecast 2025 - News... - March 4th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice Now: The Ultimate Guide | Pestkilled - February 15th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator for the Business Owners and Why It's Necessary in 2020 - ChartAttack - February 6th, 2020
- Woman wants out of mice and rat-infested New Bedford public housing unit - SouthCoastToday.com - January 24th, 2020
- Call-outs to deal with rats and mice plummet after fees for council service triples - Wales Online - January 21st, 2020
- Fair Lawn Dollar Tree resumes selling food after fixing health violations - NorthJersey.com - January 17th, 2020
- Revealed: The parts of Bolton with the biggest rat infestation problems - Manchester Evening News - January 14th, 2020
- Pest control: UK 'fly-tipping epidemic linked to rats rise - The Bolton News - January 14th, 2020
- Separated by Design: How wealthy towns keep people with housing vouchers out - The CT Mirror - January 12th, 2020
- Ayrshire schools plagued by rats, fleas and flies with mice and wasps also a problem - The Scottish Sun - December 31st, 2019
- Last Post Southend bosses - 'No issue with rodents here ... it was a one off' - Southend Standard - December 30th, 2019
- Popular South Shields curry house ordered to clean up its act after inspectors discover RAT DROPPINGS and food stored in buckets of water - Shields... - December 30th, 2019
- Pest control called out hundreds of times to NHS Tayside buildings over two-year period - Evening Telegraph - December 29th, 2019
- Fleas rats and flies are amongst pests that have infested local schools - Cumnock Chronicle - December 23rd, 2019
- The rodent problem which forced a Sunderland school to close and call in Rentokil - Chronicle Live - December 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes - How to Get Rid of Copperhead and Garden Snakes - Country Living - December 18th, 2019
- What works (and what doesn't) when it comes to keeping snakes away at home - Starts at 60 - December 15th, 2019
- HARVEY'S Pest Control Provides Top Tips to Prevent Bugs from Spoiling the Holiday Season - Benzinga - December 15th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - CT Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Basildon's The Moon on the Square Wetherspoons pub evacuated and shut after mouse spotted by customers - Essex Live - December 12th, 2019
- What Is The Importance Of Insects In The Ecosystem? - World Atlas - December 12th, 2019
- Moon on the Square, Basildon, closed after mouse is found - Echo - December 10th, 2019
- Shock as inspectors find traces of rats, mice and pigeons in food outlets - Leinster Leader - December 10th, 2019
- How about making sure that the lights are working? Evening News readers react to a crackdown at temporary traffic lights - Edinburgh News - December 10th, 2019
- Mum's five-year rodent nightmare - Kent Online - December 10th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - Middletown Press - December 8th, 2019
- Mice infestation forces young mum and toddler out of home in Foleshill - Coventry Telegraph - December 8th, 2019
- Sydney seniors fed up with apartment building told odour, rodent issues to be fixed - CBC.ca - December 8th, 2019
- "Bob's Burgers": We Rank Our Thanksgiving "Visits" with The Belchers - Bleeding Cool News - November 28th, 2019
- Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - PCT - PCT Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Rat infestations in Northern Ireland at worst levels for decade - Belfast Telegraph - November 26th, 2019
- 6 restaurants including 2 at golf clubs shut down with roaches and rodents - Stock Daily Dish - November 23rd, 2019
- The Worst Things Health Inspectors Have Seen in a Restaurant - MoneyWise.com - November 21st, 2019
- Baby raccoon euthanized after having rat trap stuck to its paw for a week - Victoria News - November 21st, 2019
- Tops Day Nursery closes over rat infestation - New Milton Advertiser and Lymington Times - November 21st, 2019
- Look Out for Pack Rats and Mice this Winter - Green Valley News - November 17th, 2019
- Mum disgusted to be told 'eat mice' after complaining to landlord about rodents - Mirror Online - November 17th, 2019
- Cockroaches on the rise in Calgary - CityNews Calgary - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of rats from your home - The Times - November 17th, 2019
- Rat catchers make 130 St Jamess Hospital visits in just three years - Extra.ie - November 17th, 2019
- School's mouse infestation forces closure of the kitchen for more than a week - Gazette Live - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of mice - Western Exterminator - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Mice Exterminators Near Me (with ... - Thumbtack - October 1st, 2019
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018
- Rodent Control, Mice Exterminator | Connors Pest Control - March 7th, 2018
- Everett, WA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 26th, 2018
- Knight Pest Control - Exterminator Bedbug Flea Cockroach ... - January 7th, 2018
- Elite Pest Control | Exterminator Minneapolis MN - December 8th, 2017
- Reliance Pest - Pest, Termite & Bedbug Exterminator ... - November 8th, 2017
- Mice & Rat Exterminator - F&W Pest Control - Massachusetts - October 20th, 2017