Since January, state inspectors have cited 51 Palm Beach County restaurants for evidence of rodents. Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation inspectors found just a few tell-tale droppings at some establishments, and dozens and hundreds at others. They even spotted a few dead rats.
Such evidence is a high-priority violation that requires the restaurant to close until the issue is addressed. In 2016 inspectors cited 87 Palm Beach County restaurants for rodent-related violations.
Sure, theres a definite ick factor to finding out that a restaurant you like has the problem, and its so bad that the place was temporarily closed because of it, but should you be worried?
Check inspection reports for your favorite Palm Beach County restaurants
Worldwide, rats and mice spread over 35 diseases, according to the Centers for Disease Control. These diseases can be spread to humans directly, through handling of rodents, through contact with rodent feces, urine, or saliva, or through rodent bites. Diseases carried by rodents can also be spread to humans indirectly, through ticks, mites or fleas that have fed on an infected rodent.
The CDC lists seven diseases that rats and mice in North America transmit directly such as Plague and Rat-bite fever and 11 they transmit indirectly. That list includes Lyme Disease, Relapsing Fever, West Nile Virus and others, some of which can be fatal.
Rodents spread diseases through droppings and urine. In addition, they have fleas on their skin. They have thousands of bacteria. They urinate as they walk. The droppings spread disease and contamination. It makes people sick, said Ken Kuscher, a Boynton Beach-based state-certified food safety instructor with 35 years experience.
Why you should be concerned about roaches in restaurants
Even a rat rubbing against equipment or scurrying across a counter can cause contamination. Its just unsanitary.
Kuscher, who also owns four Miami restaurants with his son, said theres no excuse for restaurants to have rodents, and they shouldnt be blaming the landlord.
If you have a rodent problem, youd better fix it fast and fix it right. And if you dont, you should not be exposing the public to this, Kuscher said.
Restaurant owners shouldnt do their own pest control, Kuscher said, but should hire a professional exterminator on a regular basis. Exterminators have access to the needed chemicals and can do a better job.
Breakfast cafe west of Lake Worth cited for roaches, rodents
If restaurant owners think the cost of hiring an exterminator is too high, they need to consider what the cost will be in lost business if they do not get on top of the problem and are cited for a rodent-related violation.
Tim Husen, technical services manager for Atlanta-based Orkin, said prevention is key to keeping rodents out.
Rats can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter. And mice can fit through a hole the size of a dime. So its important to stay vigilant for signs of rodents and to seal up places they can squeeze through. Just like humans, they are looking for food, water and shelter, Husen said.
Restaurants should take measures such as replacing door sweeps, making sure vents and other openings are screened, and that fixing holes.
Four restaurants get perfect scores in Pa lm Beach County
The health risks are significant, Husen said, as food and surfaces could become contaminated by rodents.
The West Palm Beach-Fort Pierce area ranks 36th on Orkins rattiest cities list. The cities are ranked by the number of rodent treatments the company performed form Oct. 1, 2015 through Sept. 30, 2016 at both residential and commercial properties.
The top three rattiest cities are Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C., and Miami-Fort Lauderdale ranked 13th, Orkin said.
Kathleen Keenan, spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, said the Florida Administrative Code requires food and lodging establishments to rodent-proof their buildings which must be free of rodents. They must establish effective control measures to keep out rodents, flies, roaches and other vermin.
If a consumer believes a restaurant establishment is out of compliance or does not meet general safety and sanitation standards, they are encouraged to file a complaint with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation at http://www.myfloridalicense.com.
Anyone can look up recent inspections of any public food service establishment in the state of Florida from brick-and- mortar restaurants to food trucks online or by downloading DBPRs free mobile app from the iTunes or Google Play app stores. Check it out before deciding where to dine.
Keep your space rat-free
Orkin pest controls Tim Husen has five tips for keeping your home or business rodent-free:
1. Look for traces of rodents both inside and outside your home or business. Rodents leave signs like droppings, burrows and rub marks around structures. The more quickly rodents are detected, the better for treatment and prevention.
2. Inspect the outside of the home or business for entry points. Seal cracks and holes if any are found. Install weather stripping around entryways, especially under doors and around windows, to help block rodents from sneaking inside.
3. For businesses, pay close attention to doors that stay open for deliveries. Try to have processes in place so that doors stay closed most of the time.
4. Mice and rats are not just looking for water but also for snacks. Store food properly by keeping it tightly sealed in plastic bins or metal canisters. Try to keep food off the floors and stored away from walls to make it harder for mice and rats to find or break into.
5. Commercial and residential properties can benefit from cutting back trees and bushes to create a 3-foot space between the structure and landscaping. Without a jumping off point, its harder for rodents to leap across to gutters, roofs or openings under eaves.
- How to get rid of mice - Western Exterminator - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Mice Exterminators Near Me (with ... - Thumbtack - October 1st, 2019
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018
- Rodent Control, Mice Exterminator | Connors Pest Control - March 7th, 2018
- Everett, WA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 26th, 2018
- Knight Pest Control - Exterminator Bedbug Flea Cockroach ... - January 7th, 2018
- Elite Pest Control | Exterminator Minneapolis MN - December 8th, 2017
- Reliance Pest - Pest, Termite & Bedbug Exterminator ... - November 8th, 2017
- Mice & Rat Exterminator - F&W Pest Control - Massachusetts - October 20th, 2017
- Mouse Control Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - October 18th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days Across San Diego - NBC Southern California - August 4th, 2017
- 22-year-old Contracted The Often Fatal Hantavirus At State Park - Simplemost - August 1st, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - GoErie.com - June 25th, 2017
- Ask Angie's List: Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - Fredericksburg.com - June 24th, 2017
- Better Business Bureau: Start With Trust - Better Business Bureau - June 22nd, 2017
- Exterminator working to eliminate Wilmington mice during summer - New Castle News - June 22nd, 2017
- Oak Lawn Goes On Rat Patrol - Patch.com - June 21st, 2017
- At Home: Use essential oils to get rid of home pests - Topeka Capital Journal - June 17th, 2017
- After the flooding, Pierrefonds residents coping with unwanted rodent house guests - CBC.ca - June 14th, 2017
- Need to get rid of tobacco beetles? Here's how - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 13th, 2017
- Essential Oils Can Repel Mice, Spiders - Valley News - June 11th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? | Life ... - South Bend Tribune - June 10th, 2017
- 'Dance Moms' former coach Abby Lee Miller faces more trouble - Blasting News - June 3rd, 2017
- Rodents take over Isa - The North West Star - May 25th, 2017
- Code enforcement complaints fines for Commercial Building Rat ... - Digital Journal - May 23rd, 2017
- Essay: A sticky situation - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 17th, 2017
- County Health Inspector to Visit Robert Hunter School; District Bars Reporter From Attending - TAPinto.net - May 16th, 2017
- Mouse Control - Orkin.com - May 15th, 2017
- Battling Mice at Robert Hunter School - TAPinto.net - May 12th, 2017
- PRIME TIME: Critters north country folk need not worry about - Bemidji Pioneer - May 12th, 2017
- Carpenter Ants Infiltrating Greater Seattle Area Homes and commercial business buildings - MENAFN.COM - May 10th, 2017
- Bigfoot Pest Control Services Area Expands To Chicago and Surroundings - Digital Journal - May 8th, 2017
- Spring Home and Garden: Technician offers advice on pest control - Pamplin Media Group - April 27th, 2017
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - Orkin - April 13th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned buildings contribute to the rise in rats mice infestation - MENAFN.COM - April 6th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned ... - MilTech - April 5th, 2017
- MPI changes rodent claim policy, expects to save millions - CTV News - March 23rd, 2017
- Dollar General closes after inspectors report live rodents, insects found in store - WLWT Cincinnati - March 21st, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control ... - MilTech - March 19th, 2017
- Of mice and murder, and Ronald Reagan - Salon - March 19th, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control. - MENAFN.COM - March 18th, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control. - Digital Journal - March 17th, 2017
- Rodent infestations on rise across Preston - Lancashire Evening Post - March 16th, 2017
- Mouse - Wikipedia - March 7th, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to use owls, not ... - Napa Valley Register - March 2nd, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to use owls, not poison, to kill rats - Napa Valley Register - February 28th, 2017
- How to get rid of mice - Popular Science - February 24th, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to help environment - Napa Valley Register - February 23rd, 2017
- Have as much information as possible if pet exposed to poison - Charleston Post Courier - February 19th, 2017
- Best PC controller | PCGamesN - PCGamesN - February 16th, 2017
- LETTER: Bin men's food waste collection technique is a shambles - Stroud News and Journal - February 14th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Press ... - Digital Journal - February 9th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Military Technologies - February 9th, 2017
- Restaurants in Downtown Seattle overrun by Rats, authorities ... - Satellite PR News (press release) - February 7th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Mouse Control - Do-It-Yourself ... - January 27th, 2017
- Silver Spring Mice Exterminator - Mouse Rat Rodent ... - November 24th, 2016
- How Much Does it Cost to Get Rid of Mice - KompareIt - October 31st, 2016
- How Long Do Mice Live ? - Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2016
- Easy Guide to Hire a Mouse Exterminator that gets Results - October 12th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator Episode Guide - Season 1 - A&E - aetv - October 12th, 2015
- Mouse Removal in Massachusetts - Mouse Pest Control ... - September 30th, 2015
- Metro Pest Control - September 25th, 2015
- How to Get Rid Of Mice :: pest-control-products.net - August 28th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Mice - Mouse Control - Mouse Traps - July 31st, 2015
- Prevention and control of house mice, Mus musculus - July 4th, 2015
- Mice - Pest Control Canada - July 4th, 2015
- House Mouse Prevention and Control - July 4th, 2015
- Mouse Poison & Mouse Bait - Do My Own Pest Control - July 4th, 2015
- Mouse Control Services | Rentokil - July 4th, 2015
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - Orkin.com - July 2nd, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Mouse Control - July 2nd, 2015
- Is Tomcat Mouse Poison Worth A Darn? - Pest Control - DIY ... - June 29th, 2015