Environmentalists and developers, often on opposite sides of issues, have found common ground in Napa to remove rat poison from the local ecosystem and help protect wildlife.
Napa Wildlife Rescue, which annually cares for hundreds of sick, wounded and orphaned birds and animals, convinced the Gasser Foundation which has been responsible for much of the recent commercial development in south Napa to stop using poisonous traps on its many properties.
The Gasser Foundation also built nesting boxes to attract Barn Owls in the hope of fostering a non-poisonous method for rodent control.
Whats cool about Gasser, an organization thats prestigious and been around for a while, said John Comisky, Napa Wildlife Rescues vice president, is that once they realized the problem with the poison, they took care of it.
John Stewart, the foundations property and project manager, said Gasser moved away from using rodenticide because it is about doing the right thing in Napa.
We want to make Napa a better place to live, said Stewart. Less poison in the environment is a good thing.
The alliance between the two organizations began when local resident Rusty Cohn noticed a rodent trap near the ATM he uses at the Gasser Building just off Soscol Avenue.
Cohn, who photographs and monitors the beavers living in Tulocay Creek, had heard about the impact of rodenticide on the environment, and how it can spread through the food chain.
The problem with [the poison] is the rodents eating that stuff, they dont die instantly, said Cohn. They get weak and get caught by hawks, foxes, coyotes, peoples pets that eat the rats and ingest the poison, too.
Its just nasty stuff, said Cohn of rodenticide.
Comisky, whose organization is spending more time these days educating the public about poisons and other human impacts on wildlife, said the dynamic of predators eating poisoned rodents actually escalates the poison up the food chain.
To combat this problem, the environmental advocates employed a chain of communication to get Gasser to stop using poison.
After seeing the traps outside the Gasser Building, Cohn told Comisky about them. Comisky in turn told one of Napa Wildlife Rescues board members, Carol Poole, who knows Joe Peatman, the Gasser Foundations president, and informed him about the use of poison outside his headquarters.
Peatman instructed Stewart to take action.
I think we would rather put up with the rats than kill owls, hawks, coyotes and foxes, said Peatman in an email to Stewart.
Stewart contacted the foundations exterminator, and told them to remove the rodenticide on Gasser properties.
He then went a step further and did some research on natural ways to control rodent populations. Namely, Barn Owls.
The flying predator not only eats rats and mice, but quite a lot of them, according to the Hungry Owl Project, a Marin County ecology group that urges businesses and consumers to avoid using rodenticides like brodifacoum, which causes secondary poisoning of predators that consume rodents.
The Hungry Owl Projects website says Barn Owls are superb hunters with voracious appetites.
A single Barn Owl family can consume 3,000 rodents in a single 4-month breeding cycle, states the groups website.
Stewart used the Hungry Owl Project to learn how to build Barn Owl boxes, which the birds will inhabit and call home.
A craftsman with his own wood shop, Stewart built eight of the boxes himself. I was more than happy to do it, said Stewart.
Once the rainy season is over, the Gasser Foundation intends to install the boxes in the flood plain behind its headquarters, and along the Vine Trail near In-Shape.
We can hopefully attract owls and have them doing the job of rodent control, said Stewart.
Comisky said he was thrilled with the Gasser Foundations willingness to stop using poison, and go in a eco-friendly direction.
They not only switched the poison out, said Comisky, what theyre doing is facilitating the population of predators around their properties, which should do a better job overall.
Comisky said putting up the boxes will be a smart move for the environment and for Gassers operations. Barn Owls dont take vacations, theyre there seven days a week, and they dont ask for raises, he said with a laugh.
Stewart said he thinks it would be cool to have owls living around here at the Gasser building, as well as near his own property.
I have horses, chickens, goats, all that stuff at home, said Stewart. Im going to put one of these owl boxes up in our pasture and see how it works.
Both Stewart and Comisky said they wanted to tell this story to better inform people about the dangers of rodenticide, and the alternatives for dealing with rats and mice, so that the idea might spread in Napa and beyond.
I hope it [the story] attracts a lot of community attention, said Stewart, and that other people will follow suit.
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018
- Rodent Control, Mice Exterminator | Connors Pest Control - March 7th, 2018
- Everett, WA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 26th, 2018
- Knight Pest Control - Exterminator Bedbug Flea Cockroach ... - January 7th, 2018
- Elite Pest Control | Exterminator Minneapolis MN - December 8th, 2017
- Reliance Pest - Pest, Termite & Bedbug Exterminator ... - November 8th, 2017
- Mice & Rat Exterminator - F&W Pest Control - Massachusetts - October 20th, 2017
- Mouse Control Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - October 18th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days Across San Diego - NBC Southern California - August 4th, 2017
- 22-year-old Contracted The Often Fatal Hantavirus At State Park - Simplemost - August 1st, 2017
- NEW: Rats and restaurants are an icky and dangerous combination - MyPalmBeachPost - July 7th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - GoErie.com - June 25th, 2017
- Ask Angie's List: Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - Fredericksburg.com - June 24th, 2017
- Better Business Bureau: Start With Trust - Better Business Bureau - June 22nd, 2017
- Exterminator working to eliminate Wilmington mice during summer - New Castle News - June 22nd, 2017
- Oak Lawn Goes On Rat Patrol - Patch.com - June 21st, 2017
- At Home: Use essential oils to get rid of home pests - Topeka Capital Journal - June 17th, 2017
- After the flooding, Pierrefonds residents coping with unwanted rodent house guests - CBC.ca - June 14th, 2017
- Need to get rid of tobacco beetles? Here's how - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 13th, 2017
- Essential Oils Can Repel Mice, Spiders - Valley News - June 11th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? | Life ... - South Bend Tribune - June 10th, 2017
- 'Dance Moms' former coach Abby Lee Miller faces more trouble - Blasting News - June 3rd, 2017
- Rodents take over Isa - The North West Star - May 25th, 2017
- Code enforcement complaints fines for Commercial Building Rat ... - Digital Journal - May 23rd, 2017
- Essay: A sticky situation - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 17th, 2017
- County Health Inspector to Visit Robert Hunter School; District Bars Reporter From Attending - TAPinto.net - May 16th, 2017
- Mouse Control - Orkin.com - May 15th, 2017
- Battling Mice at Robert Hunter School - TAPinto.net - May 12th, 2017
- PRIME TIME: Critters north country folk need not worry about - Bemidji Pioneer - May 12th, 2017
- Carpenter Ants Infiltrating Greater Seattle Area Homes and commercial business buildings - MENAFN.COM - May 10th, 2017
- Bigfoot Pest Control Services Area Expands To Chicago and Surroundings - Digital Journal - May 8th, 2017
- Spring Home and Garden: Technician offers advice on pest control - Pamplin Media Group - April 27th, 2017
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - Orkin - April 13th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned buildings contribute to the rise in rats mice infestation - MENAFN.COM - April 6th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned ... - MilTech - April 5th, 2017
- MPI changes rodent claim policy, expects to save millions - CTV News - March 23rd, 2017
- Dollar General closes after inspectors report live rodents, insects found in store - WLWT Cincinnati - March 21st, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control ... - MilTech - March 19th, 2017
- Of mice and murder, and Ronald Reagan - Salon - March 19th, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control. - MENAFN.COM - March 18th, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control. - Digital Journal - March 17th, 2017
- Rodent infestations on rise across Preston - Lancashire Evening Post - March 16th, 2017
- Mouse - Wikipedia - March 7th, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to use owls, not ... - Napa Valley Register - March 2nd, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to use owls, not poison, to kill rats - Napa Valley Register - February 28th, 2017
- How to get rid of mice - Popular Science - February 24th, 2017
- Have as much information as possible if pet exposed to poison - Charleston Post Courier - February 19th, 2017
- Best PC controller | PCGamesN - PCGamesN - February 16th, 2017
- LETTER: Bin men's food waste collection technique is a shambles - Stroud News and Journal - February 14th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Press ... - Digital Journal - February 9th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Military Technologies - February 9th, 2017
- Restaurants in Downtown Seattle overrun by Rats, authorities ... - Satellite PR News (press release) - February 7th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Mouse Control - Do-It-Yourself ... - January 27th, 2017
- Silver Spring Mice Exterminator - Mouse Rat Rodent ... - November 24th, 2016
- How Much Does it Cost to Get Rid of Mice - KompareIt - October 31st, 2016
- How Long Do Mice Live ? - Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2016
- Easy Guide to Hire a Mouse Exterminator that gets Results - October 12th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator Episode Guide - Season 1 - A&E - aetv - October 12th, 2015
- Mouse Removal in Massachusetts - Mouse Pest Control ... - September 30th, 2015
- Metro Pest Control - September 25th, 2015
- How to Get Rid Of Mice :: pest-control-products.net - August 28th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Mice - Mouse Control - Mouse Traps - July 31st, 2015
- Prevention and control of house mice, Mus musculus - July 4th, 2015
- Mice - Pest Control Canada - July 4th, 2015
- House Mouse Prevention and Control - July 4th, 2015
- Mouse Poison & Mouse Bait - Do My Own Pest Control - July 4th, 2015
- Mouse Control Services | Rentokil - July 4th, 2015
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - Orkin.com - July 2nd, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Mouse Control - July 2nd, 2015
- Is Tomcat Mouse Poison Worth A Darn? - Pest Control - DIY ... - June 29th, 2015
- The Pest Advice: Where Do Rats and Mice Go to Die? - June 29th, 2015
- Mouse (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 26th, 2015