A young mum and her toddler daughter have been forced to leave their home after it was overrun by mice in a historic Foleshill building used for social housing.
Billielouise Race, 23, and her 17-month-old daughter Alyssa are camped out with a neighbour after the rodents ran amok in their home.
Billielouise says her daughter has been admitted to hospital 14 times with chest problems since they moved into the property in Cashs Lane in January.
Midland Heart is inspecting homes and has pledged to "take all necessary actions" to end the problems.
She claims the home is affected by mould, damp and an overpowering smell of mouse faeces and the rodents are scuttling around the entire Grade II-listed terraced building, where Midland Heart tenants in neighbouring homes have also reported infestations.
The final straw came when the pests got into the boiler system, causing a safety risk and forcing Billielouise and her daughter to move in with a neighbour who has also suffered similar problems.
Billielouise said: I thought it was maybe just one at first, but then I started finding droppings every evening and each time there seemed to be more than the night before. One day I opened a chest of drawers with my daughters clothes in and they were all in there, the clothes were ruined.
They were even running along the worktops in the kitchen, I could see them running across trying to find food. Every time I cleaned it there seemed to be more mice droppings the next day.
I used humane traps but nothing made a difference. Then when they got in the boiler we had to move out. Its not just us, lots of people in the building have said they have had mice.
The single mother, who has mild asthma, says her condition is usually under control but has worsened since she moved in, and her daughter has been taken to hospital with chest problems.
Although Midland Heart have sent out a surveyor and a gas engineer, Billielouise and her mother, Alison Chester, feel the housing association is doing nothing to help them, and the problem is particularly bad in her flat because gaps and cavities need to filled.
Billielouise said: I want to be rehoused but I dont want this to happen to another family. Whats to say they wont put another family in with a newborn baby? I want Midland Heart to fix the problem and the only way to do that is to temporarily rehouse everyone while they do it.
"It is a listed building but they need to look at the walls and fixtures and fix the problem.
Billielouises mum, Alison Chester, has also raised the issue with Midland Heart but feels that visits by engineers and a surveyor have not addressed the problem, which she says affects dozens of neighbours.
Alison, 44, a full-time carer, said: The mice are in the walls, cavities, the boiler, everywhere. My granddaughter is poorly with chest problems and my daughter is a vulnerable young woman who is sofa-surfing, its an awful situation.
"What kind of Christmas are they going to have? We keep complaining but they just keep fobbing her off, nothing is happening quickly enough.
Billielouise says the mice have even gnawed Christmas presents she had placed in a drawer and her tree is bare while she and Alyssa stay with a neighbour.
The terrace of two-storey homes was originally built in Victorian times for workers at Cashs Model Factory and were later converted into a large factory before becoming social and affordable homes.
Nicole Ryrie has also suffered from the mice infestation which has included finding dead rodents around the home she shares with her five-year-old daughter.
Nicole, 26, is currently putting up Billielouise and her daughter Alyssa, but her home has also been infested.
Nicole said: At first I phoned Midland Heart and they called out a pest control team from the council to fix the problem, I paid 46 and stayed at my mums for a week.
"Then three weeks later there was a strong scent and I found three dead mice in my wardrobe. There were mouse droppings in my jumpers. It took me a week to clean every single item of clothing.
Then there was a really bad scent and there was another in an electricity cupboard and two more after that. Weve bought a new tree because the old one is in the loft where it stinks and you can hear the mice scattering when you go up there. We can fill the gaps and put traps down but how long will that last?
Ignatius Asiedu has solid proof of the mice infestation after catching one of the pests in a trap.
Ignatius, who lives with his wife and their children aged three, seven and 10, lives a few doors away from Billielouise and her daughter.
The family have watched the mice avoid the danger and take the bait from traps, and even found the pests have gnawed wood fittings.
Ignatius, 40, said: They have eaten away at one of my trainers and my pyjama top. We have got a baby so it is not good. We have complained but nothing has been done about it. They treat it as an individual case even when you say that neighbours are having problems. We need to get together and sign a petition.
Midland Heart is looking into the rodent infestations and gas contractors visited Billielouise's home this week to try and rectify the problems.
Gary Hardy, Director of Housing for Midland Heart, said: Weve received three reports of mouse activity in these flats over the past two months. These were each dealt with individually and there was not at the time evidence to suggest a wider problem.
On receiving reports that other tenants may be affected, we went to the scheme on Friday afternoon with a pest control expert to assess the extent of the problem.
"While some tenants told us they have not seen any mice, others said they have, so our pest control contractor has set out bait boxes as a precaution. Well visit each home individually over the next few days to inspect for mice and will take all necessary actions if any are discovered.
Visit our Facebook page for Coventry or visit our Twitter page here
Do you have an opinion on this story? Join the debate on our CoventryLive News & What's On Facebook group.
- Pandemic Adds Roach Infestations To Its List of Living Nightmares - Gothamist - February 19th, 2021
- Are we losing the rat race? How rodents took over our offices - The Guardian - February 7th, 2021
- Review Place building infested with rats, mice: tenants - The Riverdale Press - February 1st, 2021
- The Secret to Getting Rid of Snakes: You Cant - The Wall Street Journal - January 30th, 2021
- How to Get Rid of Mice in Your Homeand Keep Them Away for Good - Prevention.com - January 20th, 2021
- 'Feeding the mouse': Unexpected twist in tennis star's quarantine furore - Yahoo Sport Australia - January 20th, 2021
- Got Mice in Your Stove? Here's How to Get Rid of Them - Wide Open Eats - January 20th, 2021
- Mum pleads for help after catching 42 mice in her Cliftonville flat in less than a month - The Isle of Thanet News - January 13th, 2021
- Understanding the Health Implications of Not Having Rodent Control - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- Hundreds of rodent pest call-outs in Nottingham this year with warning of winter increase - Nottinghamshire Live - December 28th, 2020
- Mouse Control is on the Table Only if Seen Running on Capitol Hill - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- COMMENT: Cats to the rescue as rats get upper hand - Wales Farmer - December 28th, 2020
- Pests and Its Negative Effects on Health - Morningside Maryland - December 28th, 2020
- Pest Control Officials in the UK Warn Over Mice Droppings - Chiang Rai Times - December 27th, 2020
- The Advent of Fieldwork Pest Control Software - Programming Insider - December 22nd, 2020
- Sometimes You Figure Things Out | CAI - WCAI - December 12th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Cockroaches - Green Matters - November 20th, 2020
- AAAC Wildlife Removal: Eradicating Rodents and Other Pests from Properties for Over 15 Years - The News Front - November 18th, 2020
- Recognizing Rodent Infestations - FamilyEducation - October 17th, 2020
- Invasion alert: aggressive Oriential hornet's spread in Malta is growing - MaltaToday - October 14th, 2020
- This Is the Best Way to Get Rid of Mice, Experts Say - Best Life - October 1st, 2020
- Students Report Mice in McMahon Hall - The Observer - Fordham Observer - September 15th, 2020
- Her View: No easy way to exterminate the virus on the Palouse - Moscow-Pullman Daily News - September 7th, 2020
- How Do Exterminators Get Rid of Mice? | INSECT COP - July 1st, 2020
- 26 Things Home Buyers Will Hate About Your House - Yahoo Finance - April 29th, 2020
- From the Editor: It's the same Business Weekly with a different presentation [Column] - Reading Eagle - April 7th, 2020
- How to know when you have pests and what you should do - Southwest Journal - March 21st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice in the House Fast - Best Way to Get ... - March 13th, 2020
- Mice and Rat Extermination | Angie's List - March 4th, 2020
- Global Agricultural Pest Control Market 2020 | Increasing Demand, Technology Development, New Innovations, Future Projections and Forecast 2025 - News... - March 4th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice Now: The Ultimate Guide | Pestkilled - February 15th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator for the Business Owners and Why It's Necessary in 2020 - ChartAttack - February 6th, 2020
- Woman wants out of mice and rat-infested New Bedford public housing unit - SouthCoastToday.com - January 24th, 2020
- Call-outs to deal with rats and mice plummet after fees for council service triples - Wales Online - January 21st, 2020
- Fair Lawn Dollar Tree resumes selling food after fixing health violations - NorthJersey.com - January 17th, 2020
- Revealed: The parts of Bolton with the biggest rat infestation problems - Manchester Evening News - January 14th, 2020
- Pest control: UK 'fly-tipping epidemic linked to rats rise - The Bolton News - January 14th, 2020
- Separated by Design: How wealthy towns keep people with housing vouchers out - The CT Mirror - January 12th, 2020
- Ayrshire schools plagued by rats, fleas and flies with mice and wasps also a problem - The Scottish Sun - December 31st, 2019
- Last Post Southend bosses - 'No issue with rodents here ... it was a one off' - Southend Standard - December 30th, 2019
- Popular South Shields curry house ordered to clean up its act after inspectors discover RAT DROPPINGS and food stored in buckets of water - Shields... - December 30th, 2019
- Pest control called out hundreds of times to NHS Tayside buildings over two-year period - Evening Telegraph - December 29th, 2019
- Fleas rats and flies are amongst pests that have infested local schools - Cumnock Chronicle - December 23rd, 2019
- The rodent problem which forced a Sunderland school to close and call in Rentokil - Chronicle Live - December 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes - How to Get Rid of Copperhead and Garden Snakes - Country Living - December 18th, 2019
- What works (and what doesn't) when it comes to keeping snakes away at home - Starts at 60 - December 15th, 2019
- HARVEY'S Pest Control Provides Top Tips to Prevent Bugs from Spoiling the Holiday Season - Benzinga - December 15th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - CT Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Basildon's The Moon on the Square Wetherspoons pub evacuated and shut after mouse spotted by customers - Essex Live - December 12th, 2019
- What Is The Importance Of Insects In The Ecosystem? - World Atlas - December 12th, 2019
- Moon on the Square, Basildon, closed after mouse is found - Echo - December 10th, 2019
- Shock as inspectors find traces of rats, mice and pigeons in food outlets - Leinster Leader - December 10th, 2019
- How about making sure that the lights are working? Evening News readers react to a crackdown at temporary traffic lights - Edinburgh News - December 10th, 2019
- Mum's five-year rodent nightmare - Kent Online - December 10th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - Middletown Press - December 8th, 2019
- Sydney seniors fed up with apartment building told odour, rodent issues to be fixed - CBC.ca - December 8th, 2019
- "Bob's Burgers": We Rank Our Thanksgiving "Visits" with The Belchers - Bleeding Cool News - November 28th, 2019
- Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - PCT - PCT Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Rat infestations in Northern Ireland at worst levels for decade - Belfast Telegraph - November 26th, 2019
- 6 restaurants including 2 at golf clubs shut down with roaches and rodents - Stock Daily Dish - November 23rd, 2019
- The Worst Things Health Inspectors Have Seen in a Restaurant - MoneyWise.com - November 21st, 2019
- Baby raccoon euthanized after having rat trap stuck to its paw for a week - Victoria News - November 21st, 2019
- Tops Day Nursery closes over rat infestation - New Milton Advertiser and Lymington Times - November 21st, 2019
- Look Out for Pack Rats and Mice this Winter - Green Valley News - November 17th, 2019
- Mum disgusted to be told 'eat mice' after complaining to landlord about rodents - Mirror Online - November 17th, 2019
- Cockroaches on the rise in Calgary - CityNews Calgary - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of rats from your home - The Times - November 17th, 2019
- Rat catchers make 130 St Jamess Hospital visits in just three years - Extra.ie - November 17th, 2019
- School's mouse infestation forces closure of the kitchen for more than a week - Gazette Live - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of mice - Western Exterminator - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Mice Exterminators Near Me (with ... - Thumbtack - October 1st, 2019
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018