To the relief of entomophobes, as colder days start setting in, the insects we love to hate start crawling back into their underground hiding spots.
But while summer creepy crawlies retreat, Malta is still facing two very antagonizing species of insects the Oriental Hornet and the Termite.
In the last month or so, people have reported increased sightings of the infamous Vespa orientalis, or the Oriental Hornet (unan Bagal) in both public and secluded species.
Speaking to MaltaToday, pest exterminator Arnold Sciberras said the Oriental Hornet is now found in the Mediterranean basin, the Middle East, the United Arab Emirates, India and Madagascar. However, due to human introduction, its habitat has spread to South America up to Mexico. It is indigenous to the Maltese islands.
The hornet, reddish brown in colour with a distinctive yellow discoloration on its head and abdomen, starts appearing at around May all through to October.
Arnold Sciberras said the Oriental Hornets temperament is aggressive while also being a predator. It can kill large insects like grasshoppers and the highly beneficial honey bee. Some have also been recorded attacking bird and mice nests. The hornet can be sometimes be seen stalking public areas for human food.
Sciberras said that this year alone he has tended to as much as 3,766 hornet nests, each with populations varying between 30 to around 400 hornets.
The pest exterminator also warned of its very painful sting, with sting victims urged to seek medical attention. An urticarial rash, facial swelling and difficulty in breathing, shortness of breath and wheezing can occur. Victims have also reported low blood pressure and a fast heartbeat.
He also said that unlike the honey bees stinger, the hornets stinger is not barbed, and therefore can attack multiple times when triggered. When a hornet is threatened, it releases pheromones from its body, mobilizing the rest of the nest to attack. Attacks can also be triggered by perfumes and other volatile chemicals when the hornets mistake the scent for pheromones.
People who spot a hornet invasion should never approach the nest, and are advised to seek professional help.
Another pest which has swept the island is the termite, according to Sciberras. Locally most people are unaware that we even have termites. In fact, they were of such minor importance they were classified in laymans terms just as susa, which in Maltese refers to any insect that in one of its life stages attacks live or dead wood.
If left unchecked termites can have devastating effects and turn a property into ruins, according to Sciberras. Up to 10 years ago he recorded around 250 colonies mostly in the north-west of Malta, but in the past seven years, they have spread in so many areas that is impossible to keep track anymore.
Termites are weak and relatively fragile insects that need to stay moist to survive. When exposed they can be easily overpowered and devoured by at least three species of local ants and other predators. They avoid these perils by covering their trails with tubing made of feces, plant matter, saliva and soil. They can therefore remain out of sight for a long period of time.
Termites do not limit themselves to wood and also damage paper, cloth, carpets and other cellulosic materials. Two species are known to exist locally at present: The garden termite (Kalotermes flavicollis) and the damp wood termite (Reticulitermes lucifugus), the latter being the main household pest.
A third species is being studied by the exterminator, who said that they can not only travel through loose ground but can also dig through rock and concrete if need be. This theory was confirmed this year when more aggressive behaviour and household invasion was noted.
While termites do not pose any physical danger to humans, the damage they can cause can be extensive and irreparable, Sciberras warned.
- Mum pleads for help after catching 42 mice in her Cliftonville flat in less than a month - The Isle of Thanet News - January 13th, 2021
- Understanding the Health Implications of Not Having Rodent Control - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- Hundreds of rodent pest call-outs in Nottingham this year with warning of winter increase - Nottinghamshire Live - December 28th, 2020
- Mouse Control is on the Table Only if Seen Running on Capitol Hill - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- COMMENT: Cats to the rescue as rats get upper hand - Wales Farmer - December 28th, 2020
- Pests and Its Negative Effects on Health - Morningside Maryland - December 28th, 2020
- Pest Control Officials in the UK Warn Over Mice Droppings - Chiang Rai Times - December 27th, 2020
- The Advent of Fieldwork Pest Control Software - Programming Insider - December 22nd, 2020
- Sometimes You Figure Things Out | CAI - WCAI - December 12th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Cockroaches - Green Matters - November 20th, 2020
- AAAC Wildlife Removal: Eradicating Rodents and Other Pests from Properties for Over 15 Years - The News Front - November 18th, 2020
- Recognizing Rodent Infestations - FamilyEducation - October 17th, 2020
- This Is the Best Way to Get Rid of Mice, Experts Say - Best Life - October 1st, 2020
- Students Report Mice in McMahon Hall - The Observer - Fordham Observer - September 15th, 2020
- Her View: No easy way to exterminate the virus on the Palouse - Moscow-Pullman Daily News - September 7th, 2020
- How Do Exterminators Get Rid of Mice? | INSECT COP - July 1st, 2020
- 26 Things Home Buyers Will Hate About Your House - Yahoo Finance - April 29th, 2020
- From the Editor: It's the same Business Weekly with a different presentation [Column] - Reading Eagle - April 7th, 2020
- How to know when you have pests and what you should do - Southwest Journal - March 21st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice in the House Fast - Best Way to Get ... - March 13th, 2020
- Mice and Rat Extermination | Angie's List - March 4th, 2020
- Global Agricultural Pest Control Market 2020 | Increasing Demand, Technology Development, New Innovations, Future Projections and Forecast 2025 - News... - March 4th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice Now: The Ultimate Guide | Pestkilled - February 15th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator for the Business Owners and Why It's Necessary in 2020 - ChartAttack - February 6th, 2020
- Woman wants out of mice and rat-infested New Bedford public housing unit - SouthCoastToday.com - January 24th, 2020
- Call-outs to deal with rats and mice plummet after fees for council service triples - Wales Online - January 21st, 2020
- Fair Lawn Dollar Tree resumes selling food after fixing health violations - NorthJersey.com - January 17th, 2020
- Revealed: The parts of Bolton with the biggest rat infestation problems - Manchester Evening News - January 14th, 2020
- Pest control: UK 'fly-tipping epidemic linked to rats rise - The Bolton News - January 14th, 2020
- Separated by Design: How wealthy towns keep people with housing vouchers out - The CT Mirror - January 12th, 2020
- Ayrshire schools plagued by rats, fleas and flies with mice and wasps also a problem - The Scottish Sun - December 31st, 2019
- Last Post Southend bosses - 'No issue with rodents here ... it was a one off' - Southend Standard - December 30th, 2019
- Popular South Shields curry house ordered to clean up its act after inspectors discover RAT DROPPINGS and food stored in buckets of water - Shields... - December 30th, 2019
- Pest control called out hundreds of times to NHS Tayside buildings over two-year period - Evening Telegraph - December 29th, 2019
- Fleas rats and flies are amongst pests that have infested local schools - Cumnock Chronicle - December 23rd, 2019
- The rodent problem which forced a Sunderland school to close and call in Rentokil - Chronicle Live - December 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes - How to Get Rid of Copperhead and Garden Snakes - Country Living - December 18th, 2019
- What works (and what doesn't) when it comes to keeping snakes away at home - Starts at 60 - December 15th, 2019
- HARVEY'S Pest Control Provides Top Tips to Prevent Bugs from Spoiling the Holiday Season - Benzinga - December 15th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - CT Insider - December 12th, 2019
- Basildon's The Moon on the Square Wetherspoons pub evacuated and shut after mouse spotted by customers - Essex Live - December 12th, 2019
- What Is The Importance Of Insects In The Ecosystem? - World Atlas - December 12th, 2019
- Moon on the Square, Basildon, closed after mouse is found - Echo - December 10th, 2019
- Shock as inspectors find traces of rats, mice and pigeons in food outlets - Leinster Leader - December 10th, 2019
- How about making sure that the lights are working? Evening News readers react to a crackdown at temporary traffic lights - Edinburgh News - December 10th, 2019
- Mum's five-year rodent nightmare - Kent Online - December 10th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - Middletown Press - December 8th, 2019
- Mice infestation forces young mum and toddler out of home in Foleshill - Coventry Telegraph - December 8th, 2019
- Sydney seniors fed up with apartment building told odour, rodent issues to be fixed - CBC.ca - December 8th, 2019
- "Bob's Burgers": We Rank Our Thanksgiving "Visits" with The Belchers - Bleeding Cool News - November 28th, 2019
- Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - PCT - PCT Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Rat infestations in Northern Ireland at worst levels for decade - Belfast Telegraph - November 26th, 2019
- 6 restaurants including 2 at golf clubs shut down with roaches and rodents - Stock Daily Dish - November 23rd, 2019
- The Worst Things Health Inspectors Have Seen in a Restaurant - MoneyWise.com - November 21st, 2019
- Baby raccoon euthanized after having rat trap stuck to its paw for a week - Victoria News - November 21st, 2019
- Tops Day Nursery closes over rat infestation - New Milton Advertiser and Lymington Times - November 21st, 2019
- Look Out for Pack Rats and Mice this Winter - Green Valley News - November 17th, 2019
- Mum disgusted to be told 'eat mice' after complaining to landlord about rodents - Mirror Online - November 17th, 2019
- Cockroaches on the rise in Calgary - CityNews Calgary - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of rats from your home - The Times - November 17th, 2019
- Rat catchers make 130 St Jamess Hospital visits in just three years - Extra.ie - November 17th, 2019
- School's mouse infestation forces closure of the kitchen for more than a week - Gazette Live - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of mice - Western Exterminator - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Mice Exterminators Near Me (with ... - Thumbtack - October 1st, 2019
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018
- Rodent Control, Mice Exterminator | Connors Pest Control - March 7th, 2018
- Everett, WA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 26th, 2018
- Knight Pest Control - Exterminator Bedbug Flea Cockroach ... - January 7th, 2018
- Elite Pest Control | Exterminator Minneapolis MN - December 8th, 2017
- Reliance Pest - Pest, Termite & Bedbug Exterminator ... - November 8th, 2017
- Mice & Rat Exterminator - F&W Pest Control - Massachusetts - October 20th, 2017
- Mouse Control Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - October 18th, 2017