Its the season of the mouse.
Skittering and scratching along the walls, nibbling at toast crumbs and apple peelings while we sleep or gathering an attic nut stash, our most common wildlife creature makes its mark now bits of black droppings in the cupboards, the hurried flash of gray and brown as it scoots across the kitchen floor.
Mice are our number one complaint right now, said Tom Dommermuth, owner of WESTCONN Pest Control in New Fairfield.
Mice, and flying squirrels, said Joel Ray, owner of Bats R Us Wildlife Removal Specialists in Bethel.
We cannot ever really get rid of them. Nor should we want to. They matter.
Outdoors, mice disperse seeds and nuts, eat things like gypsy moth larvae, and provide sustenance bite-sized and bit-by-bit to predators whether hawk, owl, fox, bobcat or coyotes.
They play a vital role in the environment, said urban wildlife expert Laura Simon.
Many live through the winter tunneling passageways under the snow. What we see as a placid white blanket is covering a little rodent subway system, where mice and their cousins, the voles, carry on until a fox pounces or an owl swoops down.
Which is why some mice opt for the indoors; its warm and hawk-free. Its staying alive.
Its one of the challenges of such small things, said Jenny Dickson, director of the wildlife division of the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.
Dickson said that, in the wild, there are two species of nocturnal mice humans almost never see the woodland jumping mouse and the meadow jumping mouse. Both have long tails, and strong back legs to propel them through the world.
Youll never see them indoors, she said.
Which leaves white-footed mice our most common rodent species and deer mice. The two species are nearly identical and often get lumped together as field mice.
And there are also house mice. Theyre an Old World species that came over on whatever boat sailed from Europe from France, from the Netherlands, from England or Spain in the 17th century and landed on North American shores.
Just like the rest of us, said Simon.
She questions whether the house mouse, which has cohabited with humans for thousands of years, might have scurried over the Bering land bridge, following the original settlers on this place.
People are quick to say non-native when its something they dont like, Simon said.
The DEEPs Dickson said that most of the mice we see are white-footed mice.
In rural and suburban homes, absolutely, she said. Theyre a native species thats successful in a lot of habitats in the state.
They are little brown mice with white bellies and white feet. House mice, in comparison, are uniformly dusty gray-brown all over.
Field mice, deer mice, house mice, youll find them all, Dommermuth of WESTCONN Pest Control said.
People dont want mice in their homes for obvious reasons.
Theyre unsanitary. They leave droppings. They can tear up insulation to make nests and chew on electrical wires. If they die inside a wall, they stink as they decay. And because female mice can have a new litter every 60 days or so, they can have lots of babies.
There is also musophobia the absolute, deep-seated dread of mice that can leave some people in a true panic when they see one.
Its like snakes, Simon said.
The reason may have to do with basic mouse-iness.
Theyre quick and they have naked tails, Simon said. If they moved slower and had fluffy tails, people would think theyre cute.
To combat mice infestations, people should start looking in the fall for any small entryway that, when it turns cold, mice can squeeze through. Because they are good climbers, that can mean looking at roof lines as well as the ground.
It can be where pipes enter the house, Simon said.
Once you have mice, the best method of getting rid of them are snap traps whether old-fashioned or the better mousetraps now available.
People shouldnt poison them, because if they mouse eats poison and them goes outside to die, theres a chance a predator will get a dose of poison as well.
Its a real problem, said Ray of Bats R Us.
Nor should they use glue traps, which hold mice in place until they die slowly of starvation.
Of all the inhumane ways to kill a mouse, snap traps are the most humane, Simon said.
Contact Robert Miller at email@example.com
Read the original:
Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - CT Insider
- Pandemic Adds Roach Infestations To Its List of Living Nightmares - Gothamist - February 19th, 2021
- Are we losing the rat race? How rodents took over our offices - The Guardian - February 7th, 2021
- Review Place building infested with rats, mice: tenants - The Riverdale Press - February 1st, 2021
- The Secret to Getting Rid of Snakes: You Cant - The Wall Street Journal - January 30th, 2021
- How to Get Rid of Mice in Your Homeand Keep Them Away for Good - Prevention.com - January 20th, 2021
- 'Feeding the mouse': Unexpected twist in tennis star's quarantine furore - Yahoo Sport Australia - January 20th, 2021
- Got Mice in Your Stove? Here's How to Get Rid of Them - Wide Open Eats - January 20th, 2021
- Mum pleads for help after catching 42 mice in her Cliftonville flat in less than a month - The Isle of Thanet News - January 13th, 2021
- Understanding the Health Implications of Not Having Rodent Control - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- Hundreds of rodent pest call-outs in Nottingham this year with warning of winter increase - Nottinghamshire Live - December 28th, 2020
- Mouse Control is on the Table Only if Seen Running on Capitol Hill - Chiang Rai Times - December 28th, 2020
- COMMENT: Cats to the rescue as rats get upper hand - Wales Farmer - December 28th, 2020
- Pests and Its Negative Effects on Health - Morningside Maryland - December 28th, 2020
- Pest Control Officials in the UK Warn Over Mice Droppings - Chiang Rai Times - December 27th, 2020
- The Advent of Fieldwork Pest Control Software - Programming Insider - December 22nd, 2020
- Sometimes You Figure Things Out | CAI - WCAI - December 12th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Cockroaches - Green Matters - November 20th, 2020
- AAAC Wildlife Removal: Eradicating Rodents and Other Pests from Properties for Over 15 Years - The News Front - November 18th, 2020
- Recognizing Rodent Infestations - FamilyEducation - October 17th, 2020
- Invasion alert: aggressive Oriential hornet's spread in Malta is growing - MaltaToday - October 14th, 2020
- This Is the Best Way to Get Rid of Mice, Experts Say - Best Life - October 1st, 2020
- Students Report Mice in McMahon Hall - The Observer - Fordham Observer - September 15th, 2020
- Her View: No easy way to exterminate the virus on the Palouse - Moscow-Pullman Daily News - September 7th, 2020
- How Do Exterminators Get Rid of Mice? | INSECT COP - July 1st, 2020
- 26 Things Home Buyers Will Hate About Your House - Yahoo Finance - April 29th, 2020
- From the Editor: It's the same Business Weekly with a different presentation [Column] - Reading Eagle - April 7th, 2020
- How to know when you have pests and what you should do - Southwest Journal - March 21st, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice in the House Fast - Best Way to Get ... - March 13th, 2020
- Mice and Rat Extermination | Angie's List - March 4th, 2020
- Global Agricultural Pest Control Market 2020 | Increasing Demand, Technology Development, New Innovations, Future Projections and Forecast 2025 - News... - March 4th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Mice Now: The Ultimate Guide | Pestkilled - February 15th, 2020
- Mice Exterminator for the Business Owners and Why It's Necessary in 2020 - ChartAttack - February 6th, 2020
- Woman wants out of mice and rat-infested New Bedford public housing unit - SouthCoastToday.com - January 24th, 2020
- Call-outs to deal with rats and mice plummet after fees for council service triples - Wales Online - January 21st, 2020
- Fair Lawn Dollar Tree resumes selling food after fixing health violations - NorthJersey.com - January 17th, 2020
- Revealed: The parts of Bolton with the biggest rat infestation problems - Manchester Evening News - January 14th, 2020
- Pest control: UK 'fly-tipping epidemic linked to rats rise - The Bolton News - January 14th, 2020
- Separated by Design: How wealthy towns keep people with housing vouchers out - The CT Mirror - January 12th, 2020
- Ayrshire schools plagued by rats, fleas and flies with mice and wasps also a problem - The Scottish Sun - December 31st, 2019
- Last Post Southend bosses - 'No issue with rodents here ... it was a one off' - Southend Standard - December 30th, 2019
- Popular South Shields curry house ordered to clean up its act after inspectors discover RAT DROPPINGS and food stored in buckets of water - Shields... - December 30th, 2019
- Pest control called out hundreds of times to NHS Tayside buildings over two-year period - Evening Telegraph - December 29th, 2019
- Fleas rats and flies are amongst pests that have infested local schools - Cumnock Chronicle - December 23rd, 2019
- The rodent problem which forced a Sunderland school to close and call in Rentokil - Chronicle Live - December 20th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Snakes - How to Get Rid of Copperhead and Garden Snakes - Country Living - December 18th, 2019
- What works (and what doesn't) when it comes to keeping snakes away at home - Starts at 60 - December 15th, 2019
- HARVEY'S Pest Control Provides Top Tips to Prevent Bugs from Spoiling the Holiday Season - Benzinga - December 15th, 2019
- Basildon's The Moon on the Square Wetherspoons pub evacuated and shut after mouse spotted by customers - Essex Live - December 12th, 2019
- What Is The Importance Of Insects In The Ecosystem? - World Atlas - December 12th, 2019
- Moon on the Square, Basildon, closed after mouse is found - Echo - December 10th, 2019
- Shock as inspectors find traces of rats, mice and pigeons in food outlets - Leinster Leader - December 10th, 2019
- How about making sure that the lights are working? Evening News readers react to a crackdown at temporary traffic lights - Edinburgh News - December 10th, 2019
- Mum's five-year rodent nightmare - Kent Online - December 10th, 2019
- Cold weather means mice enticed to warm homes - Middletown Press - December 8th, 2019
- Mice infestation forces young mum and toddler out of home in Foleshill - Coventry Telegraph - December 8th, 2019
- Sydney seniors fed up with apartment building told odour, rodent issues to be fixed - CBC.ca - December 8th, 2019
- "Bob's Burgers": We Rank Our Thanksgiving "Visits" with The Belchers - Bleeding Cool News - November 28th, 2019
- Standing on the Shoulders of Giants - PCT - PCT Magazine - November 26th, 2019
- Rat infestations in Northern Ireland at worst levels for decade - Belfast Telegraph - November 26th, 2019
- 6 restaurants including 2 at golf clubs shut down with roaches and rodents - Stock Daily Dish - November 23rd, 2019
- The Worst Things Health Inspectors Have Seen in a Restaurant - MoneyWise.com - November 21st, 2019
- Baby raccoon euthanized after having rat trap stuck to its paw for a week - Victoria News - November 21st, 2019
- Tops Day Nursery closes over rat infestation - New Milton Advertiser and Lymington Times - November 21st, 2019
- Look Out for Pack Rats and Mice this Winter - Green Valley News - November 17th, 2019
- Mum disgusted to be told 'eat mice' after complaining to landlord about rodents - Mirror Online - November 17th, 2019
- Cockroaches on the rise in Calgary - CityNews Calgary - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of rats from your home - The Times - November 17th, 2019
- Rat catchers make 130 St Jamess Hospital visits in just three years - Extra.ie - November 17th, 2019
- School's mouse infestation forces closure of the kitchen for more than a week - Gazette Live - November 17th, 2019
- How to get rid of mice - Western Exterminator - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Mice Exterminators Near Me (with ... - Thumbtack - October 1st, 2019
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018