If youre visiting Yosemite National Park in California or the surrounding areas this year, you should be aware of hantavirus. In the past five years,11 people have contracted the often deadly pulmonary diseasewhile visiting Yosemite and surrounding parks.
Spencer Fry, a 22-year-old recent college graduate was working as a park aide at Bodie State Historic Park, just northeast of Yosemite, when he contracted the virus. Fry believes that he contracted the rodent-borne disease through mice in the cabin where he was living.
The state parkwhich is a ghost town that was once a bustling gold mining outpostis about 75 miles southeast of Lake Tahoe, not far from the California-Nevada state line.
Flickr | m01229
Fry was complaining of headaches for five days before he ended up in the emergency room with a 104-degree fever. According to a crowd-funding page set up by Frys family to help pay for his medical bills, the mans lungs began to fill with fluid and he began vomiting while in the emergency room. He was placed on a ventilator and spent 10 days in the intensive care unit. He is now in stable condition.
Although Fry survived, others have not been so lucky. According to the CDC, the virus has a mortality rate of 38 percent.
A spokesperson for the California State Parks told ABCthe investigation is still ongoing and that they cannot yet say whether Fry got the virus from the cabin where he lived.
The health of our employees and the public is our priority, read a statement from the State Parks. As such, we took precautions and worked with the Mono County Health Department. On July 10, a public health officer conducted an inspection of all the areas where employees and the public have access and deemed them safe to remain open.
If you believe you have been exposed to the hantavirus, according to the Centers for Disease Control, you should watch for the following early symptoms:fatigue, fever and muscle aches, especially in the large muscle groups (thighs, hips, back and sometimes shoulders) as well asheadaches, dizziness, chills and abdominal problems, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
RELATED: U.S. State Department Issues Warning About Tainted Alcohol At Mexican Resorts
Advanced symptoms, which appear four to 10 days after the initial phase of the illness, include coughing and shortness of breath as the lungs fill with fluid.
Humans can become infected with hantavirus by breathing air contaminated with the virus from rodent urine or droppings. As the Mayo Clinic notes, because treatment options are limited, the best protection against hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is to avoid rodents and their habitats.
If you have or have had a mouse problem in your house, first manage the infestation by blocking all off possible means of entry and/or using traps to catch the mice. If you arent up to the task, hire an experienced exterminator to help you manage the infestation. Then, be sure to clean any areas with mouse urine or droppings with rubbing alcohol, a household disinfectant or bleach.
If you have been exposed to rodents and are experiencing symptoms, you should see your doctor immediately. The earlier patients are brought into intensive care, the more effective their treatment will be.
According to the CDC, the following U.S.-dwelling rodents carry hantavirus:
1. Cotton Rats
Cotton rats are found in the southern U.S., and, as their name indicates, build nests out of cotton.
2. Deer Mice
Deer mice live pretty much everywhere throughout North America. The CDC says deer mice prefer woodlands and desert.
Flickr | USFWS Mountain Prairie
3. Rice Rats
Rice rats live in the southeastern U.S. and are slightly smaller than cotton rats.
4. White-Footed Mice
White-footed mice can be found throughout much of the U.S. save for the far west and southeastern parts of the country.
Wikipedia/D. Gordon E. Robertson
View original post here:
22-year-old Contracted The Often Fatal Hantavirus At State Park - Simplemost
- How to get rid of mice - Western Exterminator - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Mice Exterminators Near Me (with ... - Thumbtack - October 1st, 2019
- Mouse Control: Appearance, Signs & Removal of Mice - April 12th, 2019
- How Much Is An Exterminator For Mice? (A Quick Guide ... - April 5th, 2019
- 2019 Mouse Exterminator Cost (Average) - PestWiki - March 18th, 2019
- Port St Lucie and Jupiter Florida Pest Control and Bug ... - March 7th, 2019
- Local Pest Control Phoenix, AZ | Western Exterminator - February 11th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Mice: The Ultimate Guide for Mice ... - October 31st, 2018
- 2018 Rat, Mice & Raccoon Removal Cost | Extermination Prices - September 8th, 2018
- Pest Force - Pest Control and Pest Exterminator Edmonton - June 15th, 2018
- mouse exterminators - Mice Riddance - April 1st, 2018
- Rodent Control, Mice Exterminator | Connors Pest Control - March 7th, 2018
- Everett, WA Exterminator, Pest Control & Termite Inspector - January 26th, 2018
- Knight Pest Control - Exterminator Bedbug Flea Cockroach ... - January 7th, 2018
- Elite Pest Control | Exterminator Minneapolis MN - December 8th, 2017
- Reliance Pest - Pest, Termite & Bedbug Exterminator ... - November 8th, 2017
- Mice & Rat Exterminator - F&W Pest Control - Massachusetts - October 20th, 2017
- Mouse Control Exterminator Services | Western Exterminator - October 18th, 2017
- Tarantula Scares Family in Second Sighting in Days Across San Diego - NBC Southern California - August 4th, 2017
- NEW: Rats and restaurants are an icky and dangerous combination - MyPalmBeachPost - July 7th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - GoErie.com - June 25th, 2017
- Ask Angie's List: Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? - Fredericksburg.com - June 24th, 2017
- Better Business Bureau: Start With Trust - Better Business Bureau - June 22nd, 2017
- Exterminator working to eliminate Wilmington mice during summer - New Castle News - June 22nd, 2017
- Oak Lawn Goes On Rat Patrol - Patch.com - June 21st, 2017
- At Home: Use essential oils to get rid of home pests - Topeka Capital Journal - June 17th, 2017
- After the flooding, Pierrefonds residents coping with unwanted rodent house guests - CBC.ca - June 14th, 2017
- Need to get rid of tobacco beetles? Here's how - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 13th, 2017
- Essential Oils Can Repel Mice, Spiders - Valley News - June 11th, 2017
- Can you get rid of home pests with essential oils? | Life ... - South Bend Tribune - June 10th, 2017
- 'Dance Moms' former coach Abby Lee Miller faces more trouble - Blasting News - June 3rd, 2017
- Rodents take over Isa - The North West Star - May 25th, 2017
- Code enforcement complaints fines for Commercial Building Rat ... - Digital Journal - May 23rd, 2017
- Essay: A sticky situation - Martha's Vineyard Times - May 17th, 2017
- County Health Inspector to Visit Robert Hunter School; District Bars Reporter From Attending - TAPinto.net - May 16th, 2017
- Mouse Control - Orkin.com - May 15th, 2017
- Battling Mice at Robert Hunter School - TAPinto.net - May 12th, 2017
- PRIME TIME: Critters north country folk need not worry about - Bemidji Pioneer - May 12th, 2017
- Carpenter Ants Infiltrating Greater Seattle Area Homes and commercial business buildings - MENAFN.COM - May 10th, 2017
- Bigfoot Pest Control Services Area Expands To Chicago and Surroundings - Digital Journal - May 8th, 2017
- Spring Home and Garden: Technician offers advice on pest control - Pamplin Media Group - April 27th, 2017
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - Orkin - April 13th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned buildings contribute to the rise in rats mice infestation - MENAFN.COM - April 6th, 2017
- Seattle king county pest control companies reveal Abandoned ... - MilTech - April 5th, 2017
- MPI changes rodent claim policy, expects to save millions - CTV News - March 23rd, 2017
- Dollar General closes after inspectors report live rodents, insects found in store - WLWT Cincinnati - March 21st, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control ... - MilTech - March 19th, 2017
- Of mice and murder, and Ronald Reagan - Salon - March 19th, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control. - MENAFN.COM - March 18th, 2017
- Seattle Airport Hangar needs a Commercial Rat Pest Control. - Digital Journal - March 17th, 2017
- Rodent infestations on rise across Preston - Lancashire Evening Post - March 16th, 2017
- Mouse - Wikipedia - March 7th, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to use owls, not ... - Napa Valley Register - March 2nd, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to use owls, not poison, to kill rats - Napa Valley Register - February 28th, 2017
- How to get rid of mice - Popular Science - February 24th, 2017
- Napa Wildlife Rescue, Gasser Foundation team up to help environment - Napa Valley Register - February 23rd, 2017
- Have as much information as possible if pet exposed to poison - Charleston Post Courier - February 19th, 2017
- Best PC controller | PCGamesN - PCGamesN - February 16th, 2017
- LETTER: Bin men's food waste collection technique is a shambles - Stroud News and Journal - February 14th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Press ... - Digital Journal - February 9th, 2017
- Do Away With the Pests With Exterminator in Edmond - Military Technologies - February 9th, 2017
- Restaurants in Downtown Seattle overrun by Rats, authorities ... - Satellite PR News (press release) - February 7th, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Mouse Control - Do-It-Yourself ... - January 27th, 2017
- Silver Spring Mice Exterminator - Mouse Rat Rodent ... - November 24th, 2016
- How Much Does it Cost to Get Rid of Mice - KompareIt - October 31st, 2016
- How Long Do Mice Live ? - Western Exterminator - September 22nd, 2016
- Easy Guide to Hire a Mouse Exterminator that gets Results - October 12th, 2015
- Billy the Exterminator Episode Guide - Season 1 - A&E - aetv - October 12th, 2015
- Mouse Removal in Massachusetts - Mouse Pest Control ... - September 30th, 2015
- Metro Pest Control - September 25th, 2015
- How to Get Rid Of Mice :: pest-control-products.net - August 28th, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Mice - Mouse Control - Mouse Traps - July 31st, 2015
- Prevention and control of house mice, Mus musculus - July 4th, 2015
- Mice - Pest Control Canada - July 4th, 2015
- House Mouse Prevention and Control - July 4th, 2015
- Mouse Poison & Mouse Bait - Do My Own Pest Control - July 4th, 2015
- Mouse Control Services | Rentokil - July 4th, 2015
- Rodent Control: Get Rid of Rats and Mice - Orkin.com - July 2nd, 2015
- How to Get Rid of Mice, Mouse Control - July 2nd, 2015
- Is Tomcat Mouse Poison Worth A Darn? - Pest Control - DIY ... - June 29th, 2015