Dave Duncan from Dave Duncan Pest Control was studying bed bugs even before they came to Mansfield. With a passion for Entomology, the study of bugs, Duncan and his team are equipped to handle even the most overwhelming infestations in the state. Whether you think you may have bed bugs, know a friend with bed bugs, want to avoid bed bugs, or are just plain curious, here are ten myths about these hitchhiking pests. They may be closer and harder to get rid of than you think!
Myth 1: The effective chemicals used to kill bed bugs are outlawed
According to Duncan, the chemicals are there. The biggest issue is that these chemicals should be used by trained professionals.
Its mainly just people not having the knowledge on how to use them and how to deal with the bed bugs. There are plenty of good products out there, to rid homes of bed bugs, but very few people trained to use them.
There are different types of products on the market that claim to treat bedbugs, but ultimately, only a specific way of utilizing them will result in long-term bed bug extermination.
Myth 2: My essential oils, diatomaceous earth, and dryer sheets will rid me of bed bugs
If your friend from the gym swears her essential oils ward off bed bugs, she may be misled. None of those are scientifically backed, explains Duncan. It is great for the dryer sheet business, but if they did work, we wouldnt be in an apartment that had fifty dryer sheets in it.
Gathering his expertise and knowledge from The University of Kentuckys Entomology Department, Duncan is always a few steps ahead. Any of the information that is new on bed bugs has been created by Dr. Potter and his associates at the University of Kentucky. They are 5-10 years ahead of any state in the United States on information and new technology and new technique.
Myth 3: Leather, plastic, and wood are all safe from bed bugs
Unfortunately, bed bugs arent only drawn to your bed. We see bed bugs in everything from toilet hinges to plastic items to DVD cases to books and/or pictures, and we treat all of that, Duncan points out. That material has to be treated one way or another.
Dont think throwing things in a bag will help either. By placing items in a plastic bag, youre only protecting the bed bugs that live there.
40-60% of these annoying bugs choose to live in fabric and resting areas, but the other 40-60% choose to live in things like woodwork, pictures, other types of furniture, DVDs, and even books.
Myth 4: Since only one person seems to being bitten, we must not have bed bugs
When it comes to bed bugs, not everyone will visually reflect bite marks. Some married couples can share the same bed, and one will show bites and the other wont.
Everyone in the house is being bitten by bedbugs, assures Duncan, but not everyone reacts the same way to the bite. In addition, your entire family may not have noticeable bites but you very well could have bed bugs.
Duncans team focus on furniture. We dont inspect bodies, he assures. Looking at someones skin isnt the way to diagnose bed bugs.
The worst cases weve seen, where people literally have cups of bed bugs in their homes and in their bed, they dont have marks.
Myth 5: Bed bugs stay in one room
When Duncan and his team visit a home to exterminate bed bugs, they treat the entire home. Anything other than complete zero is acceptable in the bed bug world, confirms Duncan.
Its common to hear pest controllers tell people that they will only treat one room. The problem with this is that bed bugs are sneaky and will just move to a different room. The family with bed bugs may not notice as many bugs and think they are gone, but within a few weeks they will reappear.
You can try to spray or use bombs to eradicate the pests, but they will simply pack up and go to another space until the coast is clear to return.
Myth 6: Im too clean to have bed bugs
Bed bugs are equal opportunity pests who like everybody. Every ethnicity, age, and socio-economic status have had troubles with these pests.
Duncan noted, You cant be too rich, you cant be too classy to have bed bugs!
Myth 7: We use a mattress cover so we cant have bed bugs
Mattress covers simply corral the bed bugs in one place, and youre still at risk for having them spread around your home.
Youll spend a bunch of money on a good mattress cover and seal those bed bugs in your cover. Theyll live up to a year inside that mattress cover, or until your cat, dog, teenager, or child pokes a hole in that mattress cover, and then they are released into your house, Duncan says.
In all of his studies and after asking a leading Entomologist in Cleveland, Duncan assures you wont have one more or one less bed bug in your house if you spend money on a mattress cover.
Ive seen hundreds, if not thousands, of bed bugs on the outside of mattress covers.
Myth 8: Heat treatment will eradicate bed bugs
Although heat can kill bed bugs, it isnt an effective form of ridding your home of them. Bed bugs are much more sneaky than we give them credit for.
The University of Kentucky have done tests on heat. Bed bugs run from heat, warns Duncan, They are that smart.
The heat will lessen the amount of bed bugs in the moment, but not completely treat them. In fact, bed bugs prefer 100 degree environments. This also discredits parking your car in the sun to try to kill bed bugs. The bugs will run from the heat and set up camp deep in your car cushions and near the floor.
Another downside of heat treatments is that if any bed bugs survive the treatment there is nothing remaining to continue killing them after the treatment is complete.
Myth 9: I have to go to someones home to get bed bugs
Even if you dont personally know anyone who has bed bugs, you can get them from living life outside your home.
They are hitchhikers and you will pick them up at the hospital, school, library, and anywhere else where people sit, sleep, kneel...anywhere, Duncan emphasized.
Even if you dont lay in another persons bed or on their couch, you can pick up bed bugs from sitting in the same chair at a restaurant or the same pew at church. This is what makes them public enemy number one according to bed bug experts like Duncan.
Theyre not public enemy number one because they are tough, theyre public enemy number one because theyre hitchhiking and very secretive, and very sneaky.
Myth 10: Every bed bug exterminator is the same
One of the biggest misconceptions is that every exterminator uses the same technique. This simply isnt true. We see a lot of failed jobs taking place, and then the people still have bed bugs and no money, warned Duncan, its not a simple process, and preparation is 50% of the job.
Although it can seem quite scary that you could pick up bed bugs anywhere, the saving grace is that Duncan and his team are here with an easy and thorough solution. Once they treat a home, the bugs are gone.
If you think you may have bed bugs, contact Dave Duncan Pest Control at(419) 560-6757.
Our content is free and always will be - but we rely on your support to sustain it.
Here is the original post:
Protecting your home and family: The top 10 myths of bed bugs - Richland Source
- Bed Bug Exterminator Winnipeg Is The Top Bed Bug Exterminator In Winnipeg - MENAFN.COM - April 5th, 2020
- Bed Bug Exterminator Winnipeg Is The Top Bed Bug Exterminator In Winnipeg - Press Release - Digital Journal - April 2nd, 2020
- Two reports of possible bed bug sightings on campus - The Eyeopener - March 13th, 2020
- Ypsilanti library to reopen Thursday after closure for bed bug treatment - MLive.com - March 6th, 2020
- Local News Bed Bugs, A Pesky Problem That Can Happen Anywhere You Live Tatianna Taylor 4 - kjrh.com - March 6th, 2020
- Local exterminator says bed bugs can end up in vehicles - WZZM13.com - February 29th, 2020
- Uber, Lyft drivers in Dallas having cars treated for bedbugs - Yahoo News - February 29th, 2020
- Exterminator Says He Regularly Treats Rideshare Vehicles For Bed Bugs - GM Authority - February 29th, 2020
- Bed bug bites: How to know if youve been bitten by the household pest - the signs to spot - Express - February 28th, 2020
- Texas Exterminator Treats '5 to 10' Rideshare Vehicles for Bed Bugs Each Week - The Drive - February 26th, 2020
- Bed bugs at Radio-Canada - The Ticker Times - February 19th, 2020
- Baby girl dies from gas poisoning after neighbours spray flat with severely toxic substances to get rid of b - The Sun - February 18th, 2020
- 'Our little epidemic:' Bedbug infestations on the increase, say pest experts - Hickory Daily Record - February 13th, 2020
- Inuit say airport hotel is inhospitable, unsuitable for housing the sick - CTV News - January 10th, 2020
- We caught bedbugs from traveling and then the nightmare began - The Points Guy - December 23rd, 2019
- Press Release: Experts Warns By Pest Encounters During This Thanks Giving Season with Fast Pest Control Australia - PRWire - December 8th, 2019
- Can Bed Bugs Stand the Heat? - PCT - PCT Magazine - November 24th, 2019
- East Islip home has massive hive with 120,000 bees - Newsday - November 20th, 2019
- How Much Do Bed Bug Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - November 8th, 2019
- Can Bed Bugs Live In Wood Furniture and How to Remove Them ... - October 14th, 2019
- The 10 Best Bed Bug Exterminators Near Me (with Free ... - October 14th, 2019
- How to Deal with Bed Bugs at Your Rental Property - October 13th, 2019
- Bed bugs | UMN Extension - October 13th, 2019
- Bedbugs: Bite Treatment, Signs, Pictures & Identification - October 6th, 2019
- Apartment Bed Bugs | RPA Tenant Rights Blog - October 4th, 2019
- Preparing Your House for Bedbug Treatments | NC State ... - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Exterminators Near Me (with Free Estimates) - September 24th, 2019
- What to Do Before And After The Exterminator Comes for Bedbugs - September 10th, 2019
- Will an Exterminator Get Rid of Bed Bugs? How to Get Rid ... - September 10th, 2019
- Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | Extermination Treatment ... - May 23rd, 2019
- Bed Bugs Toronto - Pestend Affordable Pest Exterminator - May 13th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Treatment - May 12th, 2019
- Bed bug - Wikipedia - May 2nd, 2019
- Buffalo Bed Bug PCP | Professional Pest Control Buffalo ... - April 30th, 2019
- Bedbug Exterminator | Bed Bug Control | Bed Bug Infestation - April 20th, 2019
- Exterminator Bug Services |authorSTREAM - April 14th, 2019
- Milwaukee Bed Bug Exterminator | Pest Control Service | A ... - March 14th, 2019
- 6 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs [Incl. Recipes] - March 12th, 2019
- #1 Bed Bug Exterminator & Pest Control in Houston Texas ... - March 6th, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs (COMPLETE GUIDE) - February 16th, 2019
- Metro Detroit & Atlanta Bed Bugs - Metro Detroit Exterminator - February 10th, 2019
- How to Check for Bed Bugs: Discover where they hide and ... - February 10th, 2019
- Chicago IL Exterminator, Pest Control, Termite Inspections - February 9th, 2019
- How much does it cost to get rid of bed bugs in Toronto? - February 2nd, 2019
- Are Bed Bugs in the Walls? | Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | 24 ... - February 2nd, 2019
- Can Dogs Carry Bed Bugs? | Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | 24/7 ... - January 31st, 2019
- Affordable Bed Bug Exterminators: Pest Control Bed Bugs - January 24th, 2019
- Bed Bugs - January 24th, 2019
- What Do Bed Bugs Look Like (53 PICTURES OF BED BUGS) - January 24th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Guide - How to Kill Bed Bugs - January 10th, 2019
- Alpha Bed Bug Exterminator NYC - Manhattan | Treatment ... - January 4th, 2019
- Bed bug control & treatment - Expert exterminator for bed ... - January 4th, 2019
- Bed Bugs | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - November 21st, 2018
- Bed Bugs: How to Identify Bedbugs and How to Get ... - WebMD - October 3rd, 2018
- Bed Bug Exterminator NYC Testimonial - Watch Now - Bed Bug Exterminator NYC - September 27th, 2018
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Crew | Call 888-329-7794 - September 8th, 2018
- 2018 Average Bed Bug Exterminator Cost (with Price Factors) - July 6th, 2018
- Bed bug control techniques - Wikipedia - May 19th, 2018
- Heat Pro | Denver, Co Bed Bug Exterminator, Heat Treatment ... - May 2nd, 2018
- Pest Control | Bed Bug Exterminator Iowa City, Cedar ... - April 1st, 2018
- Bed Bug Facts & Pest Information: How Do You Get Bed Bugs? - March 22nd, 2018
- Bed Bug Extermination Cost: Inspection and Treatment Costs - March 18th, 2018
- Pest Control Exterminators Bed Bugs Roaches Termites - December 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Exterminator Indianapolis - The Bed Bug Co. - December 27th, 2017
- The Best Bed Bugs Exterminator in Queens, NY - November 25th, 2017
- Bed bugs, drug paraphernalia greet 6th graders at Estes Park YMCA - The Denver Channel - September 2nd, 2017
- Guaranteed Bed Bug Exterminator in Brooklyn, NYC ... - September 2nd, 2017
- College students told to continue living in apartment with bedbugs - WRAL.com - September 1st, 2017
- Royster deals with found bed bug - Chanute Tribune - September 1st, 2017
- One couple's bedbug saga: exactly what a nightmare would be - San Francisco Chronicle - September 1st, 2017
- Increase in bed bug problems - The News Center - August 28th, 2017
- The most bed bug-infested cities in the US named - Inquirer.net - August 28th, 2017
- New California law aims to stop spread of bedbugs - San Francisco ... - San Francisco Chronicle - August 27th, 2017
- Cleveland Tops Terminix's Newest 'Top 20 Bed Bug Cities' List - PCT Magazine - August 26th, 2017
- Confirmed case of bed bugs at Parma Senior High School - News 5 ... - News 5 Cleveland - August 25th, 2017
- Cleveland tenants fight bed bug infestation, city ranked in top 15 for bed bug issues - News 5 Cleveland - August 24th, 2017
- An Invention Eliminates Bed Bug Bites even the Insects Migrate among Apartments - Digital Journal - August 23rd, 2017
- Reader takes issue with local exterminator - Circleville Herald - August 23rd, 2017
- Put Your Foot Down With Toronto Roach Removal - TG Daily (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Bed bugs make unwelcome return to Southern California - The San Gabriel Valley Tribune - August 17th, 2017