An East Islip man heard a buzz coming from the wall of his house. It turned out to be a honey of a tale.
That's bee-cause an examination of a corner wall in Nicholas Sarro's Division Avenue home by leading metro-area bee expert Anthony "Tony Bees"Planakis recently found a hive measuring 7 by1 feet home to an estimated 120,000 honey bees. It's one of the biggest hives Planakis hadever seen.
"It's a lot of bees," Planakis said.
You might've thought the hive would been removed and that'd be that. But, "Tony Bees"said, it was too late in the season to move the mass of pollinators. Set to go into hibernation mode, they wouldn't have time to reestablish new colonies elsewhereand would die off.
So, on the advice of Planakis, Sarro and his wife, Sandra, elected to let the hive remain. For now.
Planakis said he'll move it come April.
"If they were roaches or bedbugs or anything else I would've called an exterminator," Sarro said. "But honey bees? Einstein said if the bees go, so does man. I'm not smarter than Einstein, so I'll take him at his word."
A retired shop teacher in the Brentwood Union Free School District, Sarro, 68, said he and his wife bought the house a week before they got married in 1980. He replaced the windows and the roof and over the years did a bunch of handiwork. Then, a few years ago, his son Nicholas heard a buzz coming from the guest room.
Get inside the courtroom during the trial of ex-Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota.
"He heard this noise, opened the door, and bees were swarming everywhere," Sarro said.
So, Nicholas did what any good son would do: He closed the door, packed a towel into the opening under it, and hung a note.
"Room Full of Bees," Sarro said it read. "Don't Open the Door!"
Sarro said heconsulted withlocal beekeepers from whom he and his wife bought honey and was told since the swarm was honey bees, not a threat like wasps or yellow jackets, he didn't need to destroy the hive. He could move it.
Instead, Sarro decided to let nature take its course.
So, after some ofthe swarm ofbees in the roomdied off from crashing into the windows, heaired out the room to let the others escape. Once they'd gone, he vacuumed up the dead bees andsealed the interior opening to the room, which once belonged to his daughter Kristen but now serves as a guest bedroom.
The hive in the wall? He let it be. Or, bee.
After a while, Sarro figured the hive had died out.
"It was in the dead of winter, during a snowstorm, and I went out to get the Newsday like I always do and all over the front lawn were these little dots [in the snow]. Each was dead honey bees."
That was that, he thought. Except, it wasn't.
Sometime this fall, Sarro wanted to re-roof the house. During the estimate process, hesaid, he and his contractors discovered the honey beeshad returned.
Actually, Planakis believes the hive might've just gone dormant until new bees bumbledupon it.
"He told me the smell of the honey and the wax," Sarro said of the assessment given him by Planakis. "He said that scout bees got the scent and decided it was a good location I guess I should've caulked it," he said, referring to the opening in the outside stucco wall where the bees entered.
Since Sarro needs a new roof, he needed to get the hive removed once and for all. He called around; no one wanted the job.
"Nobody would return his call," Planakis said, "because it was the end of the season and if you move the bees now they're definitely going to perish In fact, when he called me my first reaction was, 'How am I going to convince this guy to wait until April to move them?' If I take them out now, they're definitely going to die."
Planakis didn't get the nickname "Tony Bees" for nothing. A retired NYPD detective, he'd been the cop other cops turned to remove bees on nuisance calls.
Still, when "Tony Bees" took a thermal imaging device to the wall, he was surprised at how big a hive it really was.
"He's got to move it," Planakis said, "because before long it's going to attract other species. Wax moths, honey beetles. Soon, it'll be overtaken and rodents will start coming in looking for pollen and honey."
It'll be a big job, now planned for the spring.
"It's going to take surgery, believe it or not," Planakis said. "That's what it comes down to."
John Valenti, a reporter at Newsday since 1981, has been honored nationally by the Associated Press and Society of the Silurians for investigative, enterprise and breaking news reporting, as well as column writing, and is the author of Swee'pea, a book about former New York playground basketball star Lloyd Daniels. Valenti is featured in the Emmy Award-winning ESPN 30-for-30 film Big Shot.
East Islip home has massive hive with 120,000 bees - Newsday
- Bed Bug Exterminator Winnipeg Is The Top Bed Bug Exterminator In Winnipeg - MENAFN.COM - April 5th, 2020
- Bed Bug Exterminator Winnipeg Is The Top Bed Bug Exterminator In Winnipeg - Press Release - Digital Journal - April 2nd, 2020
- Two reports of possible bed bug sightings on campus - The Eyeopener - March 13th, 2020
- Ypsilanti library to reopen Thursday after closure for bed bug treatment - MLive.com - March 6th, 2020
- Local News Bed Bugs, A Pesky Problem That Can Happen Anywhere You Live Tatianna Taylor 4 - kjrh.com - March 6th, 2020
- Local exterminator says bed bugs can end up in vehicles - WZZM13.com - February 29th, 2020
- Uber, Lyft drivers in Dallas having cars treated for bedbugs - Yahoo News - February 29th, 2020
- Exterminator Says He Regularly Treats Rideshare Vehicles For Bed Bugs - GM Authority - February 29th, 2020
- Bed bug bites: How to know if youve been bitten by the household pest - the signs to spot - Express - February 28th, 2020
- Texas Exterminator Treats '5 to 10' Rideshare Vehicles for Bed Bugs Each Week - The Drive - February 26th, 2020
- Bed bugs at Radio-Canada - The Ticker Times - February 19th, 2020
- Baby girl dies from gas poisoning after neighbours spray flat with severely toxic substances to get rid of b - The Sun - February 18th, 2020
- 'Our little epidemic:' Bedbug infestations on the increase, say pest experts - Hickory Daily Record - February 13th, 2020
- Inuit say airport hotel is inhospitable, unsuitable for housing the sick - CTV News - January 10th, 2020
- We caught bedbugs from traveling and then the nightmare began - The Points Guy - December 23rd, 2019
- Press Release: Experts Warns By Pest Encounters During This Thanks Giving Season with Fast Pest Control Australia - PRWire - December 8th, 2019
- Protecting your home and family: The top 10 myths of bed bugs - Richland Source - November 24th, 2019
- Can Bed Bugs Stand the Heat? - PCT - PCT Magazine - November 24th, 2019
- How Much Do Bed Bug Exterminators Cost? (A Simple Guide ... - November 8th, 2019
- Can Bed Bugs Live In Wood Furniture and How to Remove Them ... - October 14th, 2019
- The 10 Best Bed Bug Exterminators Near Me (with Free ... - October 14th, 2019
- How to Deal with Bed Bugs at Your Rental Property - October 13th, 2019
- Bed bugs | UMN Extension - October 13th, 2019
- Bedbugs: Bite Treatment, Signs, Pictures & Identification - October 6th, 2019
- Apartment Bed Bugs | RPA Tenant Rights Blog - October 4th, 2019
- Preparing Your House for Bedbug Treatments | NC State ... - October 2nd, 2019
- The 10 Best Exterminators Near Me (with Free Estimates) - September 24th, 2019
- What to Do Before And After The Exterminator Comes for Bedbugs - September 10th, 2019
- Will an Exterminator Get Rid of Bed Bugs? How to Get Rid ... - September 10th, 2019
- Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | Extermination Treatment ... - May 23rd, 2019
- Bed Bugs Toronto - Pestend Affordable Pest Exterminator - May 13th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Treatment - May 12th, 2019
- Bed bug - Wikipedia - May 2nd, 2019
- Buffalo Bed Bug PCP | Professional Pest Control Buffalo ... - April 30th, 2019
- Bedbug Exterminator | Bed Bug Control | Bed Bug Infestation - April 20th, 2019
- Exterminator Bug Services |authorSTREAM - April 14th, 2019
- Milwaukee Bed Bug Exterminator | Pest Control Service | A ... - March 14th, 2019
- 6 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs [Incl. Recipes] - March 12th, 2019
- #1 Bed Bug Exterminator & Pest Control in Houston Texas ... - March 6th, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs (COMPLETE GUIDE) - February 16th, 2019
- Metro Detroit & Atlanta Bed Bugs - Metro Detroit Exterminator - February 10th, 2019
- How to Check for Bed Bugs: Discover where they hide and ... - February 10th, 2019
- Chicago IL Exterminator, Pest Control, Termite Inspections - February 9th, 2019
- How much does it cost to get rid of bed bugs in Toronto? - February 2nd, 2019
- Are Bed Bugs in the Walls? | Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | 24 ... - February 2nd, 2019
- Can Dogs Carry Bed Bugs? | Bed Bug Exterminator NYC | 24/7 ... - January 31st, 2019
- Affordable Bed Bug Exterminators: Pest Control Bed Bugs - January 24th, 2019
- Bed Bugs - January 24th, 2019
- What Do Bed Bugs Look Like (53 PICTURES OF BED BUGS) - January 24th, 2019
- Bed Bugs Guide - How to Kill Bed Bugs - January 10th, 2019
- Alpha Bed Bug Exterminator NYC - Manhattan | Treatment ... - January 4th, 2019
- Bed bug control & treatment - Expert exterminator for bed ... - January 4th, 2019
- Bed Bugs | Pest Control and Bug Exterminator Blog - November 21st, 2018
- Bed Bugs: How to Identify Bedbugs and How to Get ... - WebMD - October 3rd, 2018
- Bed Bug Exterminator NYC Testimonial - Watch Now - Bed Bug Exterminator NYC - September 27th, 2018
- Bed Bugs Exterminator Crew | Call 888-329-7794 - September 8th, 2018
- 2018 Average Bed Bug Exterminator Cost (with Price Factors) - July 6th, 2018
- Bed bug control techniques - Wikipedia - May 19th, 2018
- Heat Pro | Denver, Co Bed Bug Exterminator, Heat Treatment ... - May 2nd, 2018
- Pest Control | Bed Bug Exterminator Iowa City, Cedar ... - April 1st, 2018
- Bed Bug Facts & Pest Information: How Do You Get Bed Bugs? - March 22nd, 2018
- Bed Bug Extermination Cost: Inspection and Treatment Costs - March 18th, 2018
- Pest Control Exterminators Bed Bugs Roaches Termites - December 30th, 2017
- Bed Bug Exterminator Indianapolis - The Bed Bug Co. - December 27th, 2017
- The Best Bed Bugs Exterminator in Queens, NY - November 25th, 2017
- Bed bugs, drug paraphernalia greet 6th graders at Estes Park YMCA - The Denver Channel - September 2nd, 2017
- Guaranteed Bed Bug Exterminator in Brooklyn, NYC ... - September 2nd, 2017
- College students told to continue living in apartment with bedbugs - WRAL.com - September 1st, 2017
- Royster deals with found bed bug - Chanute Tribune - September 1st, 2017
- One couple's bedbug saga: exactly what a nightmare would be - San Francisco Chronicle - September 1st, 2017
- Increase in bed bug problems - The News Center - August 28th, 2017
- The most bed bug-infested cities in the US named - Inquirer.net - August 28th, 2017
- New California law aims to stop spread of bedbugs - San Francisco ... - San Francisco Chronicle - August 27th, 2017
- Cleveland Tops Terminix's Newest 'Top 20 Bed Bug Cities' List - PCT Magazine - August 26th, 2017
- Confirmed case of bed bugs at Parma Senior High School - News 5 ... - News 5 Cleveland - August 25th, 2017
- Cleveland tenants fight bed bug infestation, city ranked in top 15 for bed bug issues - News 5 Cleveland - August 24th, 2017
- An Invention Eliminates Bed Bug Bites even the Insects Migrate among Apartments - Digital Journal - August 23rd, 2017
- Reader takes issue with local exterminator - Circleville Herald - August 23rd, 2017
- Put Your Foot Down With Toronto Roach Removal - TG Daily (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Bed bugs make unwelcome return to Southern California - The San Gabriel Valley Tribune - August 17th, 2017