Amazingly cooperative, impressively diligent and annoyingly invasive, ants are complex and fascinating creatures. There are an estimated 22,000 different species of ants worldwide. Nearly 1,000 varieties live right here in the U.S.
From their characteristics to their behaviors to their habitats, our guide contains a wealth of information about how to co-exist, control and, if need be, get rid of ants simply and safely.
Not to be confused with termites, ants are between 1/16-in. and two inches in length with big heads, elongated bodies pinched at the waist, swollen abdomens and six spindly legs. They sport threadlike elbowed antennae, come in colors ranging from white to jet black. Some have wings, and some have stingers. Most people recognize an ant when they see it. Do you?
Plus, heres more information on how to get rid of ants, as well as other pests.
According to PestWorld.org, the three most common types of ants in the U.S. are carpenter, odorous and pavement. In warm tropical climates such as in the South and Southwest, youll find an abundance of red fire, ghost and big-headed ants. However, no matter where in the country you live, there are certain things that all ants have in common:
Plus, are ants dangerous to people, pets and property?
The first step in fighting an infestation in your home or garden is to know what type of ant youre dealing with. Identifying ant species can be complicated. Luckily, we put together a comprehensive list that explains how to identify different types of ants you may encounter in and around your home. Heres how to identify different types of ants.
Lurking inside cupboards, under rocks and in woodpiles, youll find ants almost everywhere in the city and on the farm. Their nests can be found in above-ground mounds, burrowed in tree trunks or located deep underground, their extensive network of chambers unseen by the casual observer. Possessing an insatiable appetite, if food sources are plentiful, ants wont hesitate to take up residence in your house or garden.
The easiest and most obvious way to know if you have an ant infestation is by sight. If you find live ant trails, especially inside your home, theres a good chance you have a problem. For certain types of ants, like carpenters, you might hear rustling noises in the walls or see wood shavings scattering about.
If you smell rotten coconuts or a distinct musty scent, odorous or citronella ants may have invaded. In the yard, look out for mounds in the garden or holes in your lawn both can be an indication of an ant infestation.
There are many ways to rid yourself of ants:
Experts often recommend mess-free bait stations and stakes because the poison works at the source, killing the queen and her colony.
Keep in mind that ants can build nests in hard-to-reach places, like inside walls or under foundations. If you suspect an infestation, consider calling in a professional pest control expert right away. A knowledgeable ant exterminator can quickly assess the situation and recommend a method that addresses your particular pest problem.
Many ants sting or bite, but not all. Most of the time bites and stings may be painful (from red fire and leafcutters especially) but they are rarely serious. People allergic to bee and wasp stings, however, should take extra precautions when working in the garden near mounds. Pharaoh ants, for instance, are known to carry diseases and should be dealt with at the first sign of infestation.
Most ant repellents and insecticides are made of toxic or poisonous ingredients, so its probably best to opt for eco-friendly, organic remedies if kids and animals are about. If youre not sure how to proceed, contact a professional exterminator for help and advice.
Read more here:
The Homeowner's Guide to Ant Pest Control | Family Handyman
- my exterminator - My Exterminator Blog - How a Pest ... - November 18th, 2020
- Off the grid: Mother nature and other domestic terrorists - Sports and Weather Right Now - November 18th, 2020
- Some People Smell Ants, And The Internet Is Utterly Speechless - Wide Open Pets - November 16th, 2020
- Things to consider before hiring a pest control company in London - News Anyway - November 9th, 2020
- Ant Types & Facts | How to Get Rid of Ants | Orkin - November 1st, 2020
- DaBaby And Quavo's 'Pick Up' Video Finds Them In Many Wacky Situations - UPROXX - September 4th, 2020
- Latest trends & growing demand of Agricultural Pest Control Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2026 | Rentokil,... - August 31st, 2020
- Around the House: Carpenter ants a nuisance, but not threat like termites - Colorado Springs Gazette - August 23rd, 2020
- Reds Ants vs. Black Ants: Top Differences and How to Kill Both - Prevention.com - August 10th, 2020
- What Chemicals do Exterminators Use for Ants? - Pest Samurai - July 12th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Ants Exterminator - July 12th, 2020
- Keeping bugs at bay in outdoor spaces - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - July 10th, 2020
- Safe Ways To Kill Pests On Your Property Without Toxic Chemicals - RealtyBizNews: Real Estate News - RealtyBizNews - June 17th, 2020
- The best ant traps, killers, and repellents - Business Insider - Business Insider - June 14th, 2020
- 7 'Pests' That Are Actually Good for Your Yard and Garden - SFGate - June 14th, 2020
- God Cleans Cosmos After Discovering Universe Infested With Ants - The Onion - May 8th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Ants in Your House - What Kills Ants for Good? - Prevention.com - April 30th, 2020
- Termite Inspection - Motley Fool - April 29th, 2020
- Ants Exterminator | Ant Killer | Carpenter Ants | Ant | Pest - April 20th, 2020
- Not the Magna Mater They Had in Mind: Stephen King's Graveyard Shift - tor.com - March 6th, 2020
- 5 Worst House Pests and How To Eliminate Them - theseeker.ca - February 29th, 2020
- Natural Ant Killers and Ant Control Tips to Get Rid of ... - January 20th, 2020
- King of the Hill: 10 Best Dale Episodes | CBR - CBR - January 15th, 2020
- Bugs In the House: A Guide - Nature World News - December 30th, 2019
- Synergy is Proud to Announce They Are Jackson Mississippi's Top-Rated Local Pest Control Companies Award Winner - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 28th, 2019
- How to handle the ants in your house - The Gazette Western University's Newspaper - November 26th, 2019
- Bug Infestation Drove Lansing Woman Up The Wall, But Landlords Efforts To Fix It Fell Short - CBS Chicago - November 19th, 2019
- Ants in the Home: When to call an Exterminator | The Bug Man - November 9th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Pharaoh Ants - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - October 20th, 2019
- Seattle, WA Pest Control | Western Exterminator - October 14th, 2019
- South Florida Pest Control & Termite Exterminators | Hulett - October 14th, 2019
- 6 Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Ants - Western Exterminator ... - October 4th, 2019
- Ant Exterminator - insightpestnorthwest.com - September 12th, 2019
- Carpenter Ants: How to Get Rid of Black Carpenter Ants - September 8th, 2019
- 10 Fascinating Facts About Ants - ThoughtCo - June 2nd, 2019
- Do I Need an Exterminator To Get Rid of Ants? | COMBAT - April 26th, 2019
- Ants | Pest Control Omaha - Exterminator | Omaha Pest ... - April 4th, 2019
- Black Ants: Bite, Types, Size | Western Exterminator - February 15th, 2019
- AAA Exterminating Co - Exterminator Termite Control - February 10th, 2019
- Pest Control for Greensboro Charlotte Raleigh and Central NC - January 25th, 2019
- Ant Control - Dealing with Ants | Western Exterminator - January 10th, 2019
- Ants and Ant Control - Eastside Exterminators - November 21st, 2018
- Carpenter Ants Exterminator in CT | EliminateEm - October 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Flying Ants | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 17th, 2018
- Carpenter ants in Chicago best ant pest control exterminator - July 23rd, 2018
- Ant Control: Pest Control for Ants by Arrow Exterminators - July 12th, 2018
- Cost to Hire an Ant Exterminator - Estimates and Prices at ... - May 24th, 2018
- Exterminator in Connecticut - Bee Smart Pest Control - May 13th, 2018
- Carpenter Ant Control - Get Rid of Carpenter Ants - Orkin.com - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - Buffalo Exterminating - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | DIY Ant Pest Control - April 5th, 2018
- Borax to Kill Ants | Ant Exterminator Blog - February 22nd, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | Do My Own - November 20th, 2017
- Pest Control Secaucus, NJ, | Exterminator Cost Secaucus ... - November 14th, 2017
- Exterminator Reveals Cheap Secret: Never see ants in your ... - September 26th, 2017
- Pest Control Products and Services Market Projected to Reflect 5.4% CAGR by 2026 - Digital Journal - September 7th, 2017
- It's Northwest spider season; what you can do around your home - KIRO Seattle - September 5th, 2017
- High Heat Sparks Ant Invasion CBS Los Angeles - CBS Los Angeles - September 1st, 2017
- Condo Smarts: Signs of pests call for quick action - The Province - September 1st, 2017
- Texas Floods Bring Floating Fire Ant Colonies - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Column: Round the Town with Karen Wyant - Jackson County Times-Journal (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Cynthia Drummond: Signs of transition from summer to fall - The Westerly Sun - August 14th, 2017
- Gardening column: Follow these tips to ensure healthy raspberry and blackberry bushes - News Sentinel - August 12th, 2017
- Invasion of the Sugar Ants - Longmont Observer - August 9th, 2017
- Bar Rescue Episode Transforms Bug-Infested Liquid Lounge Into The Tidal Bay Beach Bar - Long Beach Post - August 9th, 2017
- Limb Days and election application deadlines approaching - Hays Free Press - July 31st, 2017
- Fire Ant Fears Boost Japan Pesticide Maker to 30-Year High ... - Bloomberg - July 5th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha Miller Pest & Termite - Digital Journal (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- Marvel Takes Home 4 2017 Saturn Awards - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - July 1st, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Debuts First Official Trailer - News | Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Unveils First Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- The Defenders Strike a Pose in New Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 25th, 2017
- The season for unwanted pests - 1011now - June 24th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Rocket & Groot' Eligible for Outstanding Short ... - Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Vote 'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' At The Teen Choice Awards 2017 - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- Everyday cheapskate: Make your own safe and effective ant spray ... - Herald & Review - June 19th, 2017
- Make your own safe ant spray - Coos Bay World - June 17th, 2017
- The Avengers Must Reunite to Defeat the Kabal in - News | Marvel ... - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Top Five Exterminators in Movies - TVOvermind - June 15th, 2017