On our property, we like to pride ourselves for our progressive approach to equal access to and housing opportunities for the local wildlife. So long as they stay outside and refrain from becoming domestic terrorists.
Occasionally, they forget this rule and we have disputes that disqualify me from any monastic ambition I may have. Shamefully, I often find myself repeating the abusive mantra of, You made me do it, to a number of spiders, ants and flies before I swat them dead with a rolled up New Yorker.
In this way, I get through the issues way faster than if I was trying to read them.
When I am feeling particularly gregarious, I will research ways to keep these critters out of my house in the first place, only to discover sage but useless advice like keep all cracks and crevices sealed.
My house is literally built around a rock, and like most rocks, it is made up of cracks and crevices. And some chipmunk nests, cat prowling areas, even a bat cave. Its a veritable ecosystem in itself and basically a stone ramp to other vulnerable areas one might expect to find on a straw bale cabin that tries to survive my ownership.
The feral cats, who have grown lazy after eating most of the birds in the yard this summer, seem to lose interest in protecting the perimeter this time of year.
Fat and content, they sleep on my bed all day, feral indeed, basking in my overwhelming guilt at having their little ear tips clipped.
They seemed wholly uninterested when I leapt out of bed last week in a middle-of-the-night psychotic episode of wall-banging combined with a bizarre sort of intellectual plea with nocturnal beasts to quiet down. All because some mice have moved into the third-floor penthouse of my bedroom wall.
I had dreamed of little mouse real estate agents showing the place with all its amenities: Great views, out of cat range, some leftover wasp larvae to munch on, and occasionally the neighbors watch Hamilton in its entirety. If you stand right here, you can peek through a knothole and feel like youre watching it live on Broadway!
I would probably be less incensed if they were quiet neighbors, but apparently some sort of mouse fraternity has been established about 6 inches from where my pillow rests. I am sure I hear them doing shots while listening to Eurovision competitions, or whatever the rodent equivalent of hazing is.
I assume they are frat mice because they seem utterly unperturbed by my palm-thwacking interruptions. I hear them peep a little, rustle to hide mouse paraphernalia, and then carry on as usual. By now, they have figured out that it will take a hacksaw for me to get to them. They rightfully assume I wont march out to the shop for an extension cord and tear out my bedroom walls just to get a good nights sleep.
This is true. But I did call the exterminators.
In my mountain home, I am mostly happy to be self-sufficient, but there are a couple of jobs I am thrilled to outsource: anything that has to do with calculating amp-things or watt-stuffs, and the killing dead of varmints.
It is not an easy job to be my exterminator, as I require much assurance that said animals will not suffer.
I need a kind of Kevorkian of pest control to come by and play their favorite music while overdosing them on rodent barbiturates. I would prefer these companies have something more like terrorist negotiation training.
They could just coax the mice out of my walls and promise to relocate them to a better area where they didnt disturb anyone. For example, I have a neighbor who likes to use his tractor to put speed bumps on my road, and hes a little hard of hearing. Its a wonder his eyesight is still good enough to see me flying by.
While there is some sense of needless tragedy, the promise of a good nights sleep has provided solace in this difficult time. At least until I have to hire a paranormal specialist (another trade I prefer to outsource) to get rid of their tiny ghosts, which will no doubt haunt me and my conscience for the foreseeable future.
See the original post:
Off the grid: Mother nature and other domestic terrorists - Sports and Weather Right Now
- my exterminator - My Exterminator Blog - How a Pest ... - November 18th, 2020
- The Homeowner's Guide to Ant Pest Control | Family Handyman - November 18th, 2020
- Some People Smell Ants, And The Internet Is Utterly Speechless - Wide Open Pets - November 16th, 2020
- Things to consider before hiring a pest control company in London - News Anyway - November 9th, 2020
- Ant Types & Facts | How to Get Rid of Ants | Orkin - November 1st, 2020
- DaBaby And Quavo's 'Pick Up' Video Finds Them In Many Wacky Situations - UPROXX - September 4th, 2020
- Latest trends & growing demand of Agricultural Pest Control Market Leading Players Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2026 | Rentokil,... - August 31st, 2020
- Around the House: Carpenter ants a nuisance, but not threat like termites - Colorado Springs Gazette - August 23rd, 2020
- Reds Ants vs. Black Ants: Top Differences and How to Kill Both - Prevention.com - August 10th, 2020
- What Chemicals do Exterminators Use for Ants? - Pest Samurai - July 12th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Ants Exterminator - July 12th, 2020
- Keeping bugs at bay in outdoor spaces - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - July 10th, 2020
- Safe Ways To Kill Pests On Your Property Without Toxic Chemicals - RealtyBizNews: Real Estate News - RealtyBizNews - June 17th, 2020
- The best ant traps, killers, and repellents - Business Insider - Business Insider - June 14th, 2020
- 7 'Pests' That Are Actually Good for Your Yard and Garden - SFGate - June 14th, 2020
- God Cleans Cosmos After Discovering Universe Infested With Ants - The Onion - May 8th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Ants in Your House - What Kills Ants for Good? - Prevention.com - April 30th, 2020
- Termite Inspection - Motley Fool - April 29th, 2020
- Ants Exterminator | Ant Killer | Carpenter Ants | Ant | Pest - April 20th, 2020
- Not the Magna Mater They Had in Mind: Stephen King's Graveyard Shift - tor.com - March 6th, 2020
- 5 Worst House Pests and How To Eliminate Them - theseeker.ca - February 29th, 2020
- Natural Ant Killers and Ant Control Tips to Get Rid of ... - January 20th, 2020
- King of the Hill: 10 Best Dale Episodes | CBR - CBR - January 15th, 2020
- Bugs In the House: A Guide - Nature World News - December 30th, 2019
- Synergy is Proud to Announce They Are Jackson Mississippi's Top-Rated Local Pest Control Companies Award Winner - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 28th, 2019
- How to handle the ants in your house - The Gazette Western University's Newspaper - November 26th, 2019
- Bug Infestation Drove Lansing Woman Up The Wall, But Landlords Efforts To Fix It Fell Short - CBS Chicago - November 19th, 2019
- Ants in the Home: When to call an Exterminator | The Bug Man - November 9th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Pharaoh Ants - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - October 20th, 2019
- Seattle, WA Pest Control | Western Exterminator - October 14th, 2019
- South Florida Pest Control & Termite Exterminators | Hulett - October 14th, 2019
- 6 Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Ants - Western Exterminator ... - October 4th, 2019
- Ant Exterminator - insightpestnorthwest.com - September 12th, 2019
- Carpenter Ants: How to Get Rid of Black Carpenter Ants - September 8th, 2019
- 10 Fascinating Facts About Ants - ThoughtCo - June 2nd, 2019
- Do I Need an Exterminator To Get Rid of Ants? | COMBAT - April 26th, 2019
- Ants | Pest Control Omaha - Exterminator | Omaha Pest ... - April 4th, 2019
- Black Ants: Bite, Types, Size | Western Exterminator - February 15th, 2019
- AAA Exterminating Co - Exterminator Termite Control - February 10th, 2019
- Pest Control for Greensboro Charlotte Raleigh and Central NC - January 25th, 2019
- Ant Control - Dealing with Ants | Western Exterminator - January 10th, 2019
- Ants and Ant Control - Eastside Exterminators - November 21st, 2018
- Carpenter Ants Exterminator in CT | EliminateEm - October 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Flying Ants | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 17th, 2018
- Carpenter ants in Chicago best ant pest control exterminator - July 23rd, 2018
- Ant Control: Pest Control for Ants by Arrow Exterminators - July 12th, 2018
- Cost to Hire an Ant Exterminator - Estimates and Prices at ... - May 24th, 2018
- Exterminator in Connecticut - Bee Smart Pest Control - May 13th, 2018
- Carpenter Ant Control - Get Rid of Carpenter Ants - Orkin.com - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - Buffalo Exterminating - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | DIY Ant Pest Control - April 5th, 2018
- Borax to Kill Ants | Ant Exterminator Blog - February 22nd, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | Do My Own - November 20th, 2017
- Pest Control Secaucus, NJ, | Exterminator Cost Secaucus ... - November 14th, 2017
- Exterminator Reveals Cheap Secret: Never see ants in your ... - September 26th, 2017
- Pest Control Products and Services Market Projected to Reflect 5.4% CAGR by 2026 - Digital Journal - September 7th, 2017
- It's Northwest spider season; what you can do around your home - KIRO Seattle - September 5th, 2017
- High Heat Sparks Ant Invasion CBS Los Angeles - CBS Los Angeles - September 1st, 2017
- Condo Smarts: Signs of pests call for quick action - The Province - September 1st, 2017
- Texas Floods Bring Floating Fire Ant Colonies - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Column: Round the Town with Karen Wyant - Jackson County Times-Journal (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Cynthia Drummond: Signs of transition from summer to fall - The Westerly Sun - August 14th, 2017
- Gardening column: Follow these tips to ensure healthy raspberry and blackberry bushes - News Sentinel - August 12th, 2017
- Invasion of the Sugar Ants - Longmont Observer - August 9th, 2017
- Bar Rescue Episode Transforms Bug-Infested Liquid Lounge Into The Tidal Bay Beach Bar - Long Beach Post - August 9th, 2017
- Limb Days and election application deadlines approaching - Hays Free Press - July 31st, 2017
- Fire Ant Fears Boost Japan Pesticide Maker to 30-Year High ... - Bloomberg - July 5th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha Miller Pest & Termite - Digital Journal (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- Marvel Takes Home 4 2017 Saturn Awards - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - July 1st, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Debuts First Official Trailer - News | Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Unveils First Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- The Defenders Strike a Pose in New Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 25th, 2017
- The season for unwanted pests - 1011now - June 24th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Rocket & Groot' Eligible for Outstanding Short ... - Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Vote 'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' At The Teen Choice Awards 2017 - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- Everyday cheapskate: Make your own safe and effective ant spray ... - Herald & Review - June 19th, 2017
- Make your own safe ant spray - Coos Bay World - June 17th, 2017
- The Avengers Must Reunite to Defeat the Kabal in - News | Marvel ... - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Top Five Exterminators in Movies - TVOvermind - June 15th, 2017