Here is a Mothers Day tribute to my late mother, who at the time of this story was living in Florida. It involves a little altercation she had with bad weather. Nothing fazed my mom. Dan Rattiner
* * *
In early August of 2004, the people of Florida braced for the arrival of Hurricane Charley, as it charged up the Caribbean toward Florida. I called my mother, who lived in Pompano Beach, halfway between Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach.
Are you doing anything about the hurricane? I asked.
No, she said. I just hope it doesnt interfere with my golf game.
My mother was 93 years old. She and my dad had lived on the East End for half a century, running the drugstore in Montauk during their pre-retirement years.
I think you ought to get out of there, I said. Do you have gas in your car?
Its not going to hit here, she said.
The mayor of Miami ordered everyone to stock up on water and flashlights and to be prepared for the worst. Hurricane Charley, however, after roaring over the Cayman Islands, veered across the Florida Keys and charged up the west coast of Florida, laying waste to Sanibel, Fort Meyers and Naples before fizzling out over Disney World. Damage was estimated at about $16 billion.
Then Hurricane Frances appeared on the horizon. It clobbered Grand Bahama and proceeded to race to the west directly, it seemed to me, toward Pompano Beach. This was in late August.
Again I called her.
This one is coming right at you, I said.
The hurricane is not going to hit the house, she told me. Also, I have flying ants. Its from all the rain from Hurricane Frances, I think. Anyway, the exterminator is coming.
The Governor of Florida has ordered the evacuation of the entire east coast of Florida, I told her.
Thats only if youre oceanfront, she said. Cheko in Palm Beach called and is leaving. Shes renting a room in a motel inland. She gave me the name and phone number there so I should check on her to see if anything happens to her.
They think it might hit south of there, I said.
It isnt going to hit here, she repeated.
Dans mom, Photo: Dan Rattiner
As it approached, however, Hurricane Frances, which now looked like it was going to hit Fort Lauderdale, changed course and veered off northward, indeed for a time aiming directly at my mother, but then changing course even more and heading for a town just north of Palm Beach, which is what it eventually hit. First, however, it arrived 10 miles off the east coast of Florida (and my mother) and just hovered there for four days, winds spinning clockwise at 130 miles an hour. Many parts of Florida were without power.
I called my mother again.
Do you have power? I asked.
The flying ants are terrible. The exterminator came, did nothing. People shouldnt have to live with flying ants like this.
What about power?
The power is out. But the phone works, as you can see. Ive called another exterminator.
How long have you been without power?
Went out yesterday. But Im fine.
The next day, the power came back on at my mothers. But then Hurricane Ivan came charging up the Caribbean. It devastated Haiti, took a swipe at Cuba and headed for Florida. Again I called my mother.
Still another hurricane is coming. You really should get out of there, I said.
Ivan? she said. Its not going to hit here. Ill be fine.
Im flying up for Rosh Hashanah. Well see each other.
What if it hits when youre supposed to come up? They might ground the airplane.
It wont be anywhere near the airplane, she said.
President Bush traveled to Florida so he could be seen bringing bags of ice and containers of water to those still recovering from Frances. The governor told people, once again, to stock up with candles and flashlights, portable radios and batteriesanything that was consumed during the first two hurricanes. Also be prepared for another evacuation.
My mother flew to New York City, where she stayed with my sister. I took the Jitney to New York to meet up with her and have Rosh Hashanah dinner there. Then at six in the morning of Rosh Hashanah, she woke everybody up and, groggy, had my sister and her husband drive her out to the Jewish Center in East Hampton for morning services. I went with them. Our family was one of the founding families.
Everyone wanted to see mom. She had lots of friends here. And after the services, we drove her around town. She really wanted to go out to Montauk but my sister and her husband said there wouldnt be time. Mom needed to get back to the city to see some of her other friends. Besides, we all were exhausted and wanted to rest up before driving back.
At the last minute, Hurricane Ivan veered over the tip of Cuba, crossed the Florida Keys and slammed into the Florida Panhandle. Mobile, Alabama was underwater. There was flooding in Tampa. And the Tampa Bay baseball team failed to show up for game they were scheduled to play at Yankee Stadium. Their plane was grounded. George Steinbrenner, the owner of the Yankees, said the Yankees should win by default. But at the last minute he backed down. Theyd make up the game.
Back in Florida, my mother called to tell me she arrived home safe.
The second exterminator came, she said. Found the nest. End of problem. Those first people shouldnt be in the exterminating business.
Hows your golf? I asked.
Terrible, she said. By the way, Cheko is fine.
Four days later, for one hour on Friday afternoon of September 17, the tail of Hurricane Ivan slammed the East End of Long Island with high winds and driving rains. Limbs were knocked down, trees uprooted, cars abandoned in the sudden floods created by the deluge of water. Some who had been to Southeast Asia said it was like a typhoon. Others said its violence must have matched what was here during the Hurricane of 1938, although that lasted 10 hours, not one. In any case, numerous areas were without power for the rest of the afternoon, including Springs and Riverhead.
Late that night, I watched the news. They were interviewing someone in Florida who was standing in the devastation wreaked by the hurricanes.
Ivan knocked this fence down over here, Frances peeled the shingles off the roof. That tree went down when Charley came through.
I called my mother again.
We had quite a blow here, I told her. A torrential downpour. High winds. We were without power for five hours.
But everythings all right?
Oh yes. But some people said it must have been like the Hurricane of 38, at least for an hour.
I think in that hurricane, about a thousand houses got blown away on the East End, she said. But it didnt hit me or your father. We werent there then.
Five days later, on the morning of Yom Kippur, Hurricane Jeanne, after doing a full loop in the Atlantic, was headed for Florida, once again in the general direction of my mother. It was now 12 hours before its scheduled landfall, which they were predicting to be 20 miles north of Palm Beach, so I called my mom again.
Well, Im going, she said.
Temple, she said.
- What Chemicals do Exterminators Use for Ants? - Pest Samurai - July 12th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Ants Exterminator - July 12th, 2020
- Keeping bugs at bay in outdoor spaces - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - July 10th, 2020
- Safe Ways To Kill Pests On Your Property Without Toxic Chemicals - RealtyBizNews: Real Estate News - RealtyBizNews - June 17th, 2020
- The best ant traps, killers, and repellents - Business Insider - Business Insider - June 14th, 2020
- 7 'Pests' That Are Actually Good for Your Yard and Garden - SFGate - June 14th, 2020
- God Cleans Cosmos After Discovering Universe Infested With Ants - The Onion - May 8th, 2020
- How to Get Rid of Ants in Your House - What Kills Ants for Good? - Prevention.com - April 30th, 2020
- Termite Inspection - Motley Fool - April 29th, 2020
- Ants Exterminator | Ant Killer | Carpenter Ants | Ant | Pest - April 20th, 2020
- Not the Magna Mater They Had in Mind: Stephen King's Graveyard Shift - tor.com - March 6th, 2020
- 5 Worst House Pests and How To Eliminate Them - theseeker.ca - February 29th, 2020
- Natural Ant Killers and Ant Control Tips to Get Rid of ... - January 20th, 2020
- King of the Hill: 10 Best Dale Episodes | CBR - CBR - January 15th, 2020
- Bugs In the House: A Guide - Nature World News - December 30th, 2019
- Synergy is Proud to Announce They Are Jackson Mississippi's Top-Rated Local Pest Control Companies Award Winner - Press Release - Digital Journal - November 28th, 2019
- How to handle the ants in your house - The Gazette Western University's Newspaper - November 26th, 2019
- Bug Infestation Drove Lansing Woman Up The Wall, But Landlords Efforts To Fix It Fell Short - CBS Chicago - November 19th, 2019
- Ants in the Home: When to call an Exterminator | The Bug Man - November 9th, 2019
- How to Get Rid of Pharaoh Ants - Do-It-Yourself Pest Control - October 20th, 2019
- Seattle, WA Pest Control | Western Exterminator - October 14th, 2019
- South Florida Pest Control & Termite Exterminators | Hulett - October 14th, 2019
- 6 Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Ants - Western Exterminator ... - October 4th, 2019
- Ant Exterminator - insightpestnorthwest.com - September 12th, 2019
- Carpenter Ants: How to Get Rid of Black Carpenter Ants - September 8th, 2019
- 10 Fascinating Facts About Ants - ThoughtCo - June 2nd, 2019
- Do I Need an Exterminator To Get Rid of Ants? | COMBAT - April 26th, 2019
- Ants | Pest Control Omaha - Exterminator | Omaha Pest ... - April 4th, 2019
- Black Ants: Bite, Types, Size | Western Exterminator - February 15th, 2019
- AAA Exterminating Co - Exterminator Termite Control - February 10th, 2019
- Pest Control for Greensboro Charlotte Raleigh and Central NC - January 25th, 2019
- Ant Control - Dealing with Ants | Western Exterminator - January 10th, 2019
- Ants and Ant Control - Eastside Exterminators - November 21st, 2018
- Carpenter Ants Exterminator in CT | EliminateEm - October 11th, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Flying Ants | Ehrlich Pest Control - September 17th, 2018
- Carpenter ants in Chicago best ant pest control exterminator - July 23rd, 2018
- Ant Control: Pest Control for Ants by Arrow Exterminators - July 12th, 2018
- Cost to Hire an Ant Exterminator - Estimates and Prices at ... - May 24th, 2018
- Exterminator in Connecticut - Bee Smart Pest Control - May 13th, 2018
- Carpenter Ant Control - Get Rid of Carpenter Ants - Orkin.com - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Exterminator in Buffalo, NY - Buffalo Exterminating - May 11th, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | DIY Ant Pest Control - April 5th, 2018
- Borax to Kill Ants | Ant Exterminator Blog - February 22nd, 2018
- Ant Control & Ant Killer Products | Do My Own - November 20th, 2017
- Pest Control Secaucus, NJ, | Exterminator Cost Secaucus ... - November 14th, 2017
- Exterminator Reveals Cheap Secret: Never see ants in your ... - September 26th, 2017
- Pest Control Products and Services Market Projected to Reflect 5.4% CAGR by 2026 - Digital Journal - September 7th, 2017
- It's Northwest spider season; what you can do around your home - KIRO Seattle - September 5th, 2017
- High Heat Sparks Ant Invasion CBS Los Angeles - CBS Los Angeles - September 1st, 2017
- Condo Smarts: Signs of pests call for quick action - The Province - September 1st, 2017
- Texas Floods Bring Floating Fire Ant Colonies - PCT Magazine - September 1st, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017 - LWW Journals (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Column: Round the Town with Karen Wyant - Jackson County Times-Journal (blog) - August 14th, 2017
- Cynthia Drummond: Signs of transition from summer to fall - The Westerly Sun - August 14th, 2017
- Gardening column: Follow these tips to ensure healthy raspberry and blackberry bushes - News Sentinel - August 12th, 2017
- Invasion of the Sugar Ants - Longmont Observer - August 9th, 2017
- Bar Rescue Episode Transforms Bug-Infested Liquid Lounge Into The Tidal Bay Beach Bar - Long Beach Post - August 9th, 2017
- Limb Days and election application deadlines approaching - Hays Free Press - July 31st, 2017
- Fire Ant Fears Boost Japan Pesticide Maker to 30-Year High ... - Bloomberg - July 5th, 2017
- Experience has Produced a Leader In Omaha Miller Pest & Termite - Digital Journal (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- Marvel Takes Home 4 2017 Saturn Awards - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - July 1st, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Debuts First Official Trailer - News | Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 29th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Inhumans' Unveils First Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 26th, 2017
- The Defenders Strike a Pose in New Poster - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 25th, 2017
- The season for unwanted pests - 1011now - June 24th, 2017
- 'Marvel's Rocket & Groot' Eligible for Outstanding Short ... - Marvel.com - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 22nd, 2017
- Vote 'Marvel's Agents of SHIELD' At The Teen Choice Awards 2017 - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- Everyday cheapskate: Make your own safe and effective ant spray ... - Herald & Review - June 19th, 2017
- Make your own safe ant spray - Coos Bay World - June 17th, 2017
- The Avengers Must Reunite to Defeat the Kabal in - News | Marvel ... - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- The Top Five Exterminators in Movies - TVOvermind - June 15th, 2017
- The Kitchn: Can lemon peels really keep ants away? - Orlando Sentinel - June 13th, 2017
- 10 things to keep in mind about fire ants - Island Packet - June 12th, 2017
- Large spider climbs into ND woman's home, turns out it's common for our area - Valley News Live - June 10th, 2017
- Bullet Ant - Ask The Exterminator - June 8th, 2017
- Ant-Man Shrinks Into Action With 3 New Animated Shorts - Marvel (press release) (registration) (blog) - June 8th, 2017
- Carpenter ants, bats besiege houses - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle - June 3rd, 2017
- How to safely enjoy summer outdoors - Foster's Daily Democrat - May 28th, 2017
- 5 Warning Signs That Your Home Has Been Invaded by Pests - RealtyBizNews - May 23rd, 2017
- Sugar Ants on Picnic Menu for Memorial Day a pest control warning - MENAFN.COM - May 21st, 2017